Was there a part about this series you didn't find flawed?

Logience

Everywhere I go, it just seems that everyone in the fandom sees the entire series as flawed and sciziophrenic. Is there any part of these games where you think IS did the best they could and pulled it off without a hitch?

It's like that with every fandon, because, you know, everyone has different opinions.

I find FE4 an extremely flawed game (yet fun) while think FE7's flaw are really small, insignificant. There are many people with the opposite opinion. I dislike FE10 but there are many people who think it's the best fire emblem. There's no consensus, because people enjoy different things.

And yet when I look at everyone listing its flaws, I feel like I'm enjoying something that people in real life would beat me for, like if I admitted to enjoying Dan Brown's books.

Pfft haha, sciziophrenic? What's sciziophrenic about Fire Emblem.

I only posted to ask that question, can't really point out negatives about things I like.

Nope, there's no game that is structurally perfect, and as much as I love Fire Emblem, I don't think this series can be an exception.

I have a couple of games in mind I'd call "perfect," at least for what I want out of them (Original SMB, Sonic 2 for the Genesis, Chibi-Robo for the GameCube), but no FE game hits that threshold. Doesn't mean I don't love many of the games. FE4 is a deeply flawed game and I'm currently two-thirds of the way through Yet Another Playthrough because it's still fun. To me there's a vast difference between an imperfect but engaging Fire Emblem game and something like one of the latter-day Sonic games that's just broken and un-fun and doesn't even appear to have been beta-tested properly.

Thing is man, people are waaaaay more vocal about things they dislike than those they like. Sure we all are fans here of the games, they kick ass! But the thing is we tend to talk more about the things that we dislike or need improvement because it makes for good discussion. However, I do remember when Awakening first came out people were praising it like crazy then. They praised it for being one of the most fun games in the series. Eventually the hype died down though.

I think the flaws of most Fire Emblem games are heavily outweighed by all the thing's I enjoy about them. The many unique characters, the charming graphics, good soundtrack and mostly the gameplay elements, like how every playthrough is unique and fresh and that the game's mechanics are pretty simple yet still make the games challenging.

Thing is man, people are waaaaay more vocal about things they dislike than those they like. Sure we all are fans here of the games, they kick ass! But the thing is we tend to talk more about the things that we dislike or need improvement because it makes for good discussion. However, I do remember when Awakening first came out people were praising it like crazy then. They praised it for being one of the most fun games in the series. Eventually the hype died down though.

This. I think that the fanbase (including myself I must admit) are a little too harsh on Awakening, probably because we're upset that the game series has finally got a mainstream audience on this one game when long-time fans have known the greatness of the series has existed in games before and that Awakening is too far. That doesn't mean it's bad, and it just goes to show how much the fanbase loves this franchise with such passion, even if we vocalize it in negative comments.

And yet when I look at everyone listing its flaws, I feel like I'm enjoying something that people in real life would beat me for, like if I admitted to enjoying Dan Brown's books.

People won't beat you for liking a game haha (or liking Dan brown's books...)

As i said everyone here likes different fire emblem games, some more than others. Each game has strength and flaws. Just because people are pointing the games flaws doesn't mean they don't recognize its strengths. If you think the fire emblem fanbase is bad about this, you've seen nothing because the zelda and final fantasy fanbases, for exemple, are way worse. And i'm guilt in the former, because i don't miss an oportunity of bashing wind waker

My point being, there's no consensus about what's the best fire emblem game, because each of them appeal more to a different kind of fan. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Nobody

Exactly. A true fire emblem fan hates every Fire Emblem.

Requesting this post be pinned

I think the basic gameplay mechanics- tile movement, hit%, relatively small numbers that make the math easy to keep track of, and simple reasoning behind (most) everything that happens are really solid.

In most (j)rpg's, the amount of damage you do and take is uncertain at best, and you're not really privvy to the game's calculations (which can make a critical hit mechanic seem especially arbitrary). Individual actions and the order you do them in (strategy) sometimes don't feel to me like they matter all that much: there are quite often optimal ways to whale on fools, and certainly there are games where strategy clearly matters (like in Persona), but the difference in, like, final fantasy, between playing fine and playing optimally seems like it usually just boils down to killing something faster.

In fire emblem, there's a clear significance for (almost) every number I'm given, and the values for damage are constant. Ahead of engaging an enemy, I know exactly how much damage I can do, and exactly what chance there is of something backfiring. That doesn't have to be the case for every game out there, but it's sure nice for me to have a game where it is the case. Paying attention to my individual actions also feels like it matters more, possibly as a partial consequence of the small numbers, and the threat of a mistake either taking a potential gameplay asset (a unit) away forever, if I don't restart the chapter when one of them dies, or getting rid of a lot of my progress, if I restart the chapter, seems to put weight behind fucking up. There's also just some draw for me in the idea that the people I'm controlling can die, and I decide their fates in that capacity. Basically, what I like about the series is that it feels like, "all the pieces are right here in front of you, now put em together. and be careful about it jeez"

That's part of why the games kinda frustrate me in some areas where the design doesn't seem to keep to the same principles. Like, why is the player never outright told that growth rates are even things that exist, much less what their values are for every unit? (as opposed to the series' most common instruction regarding unit growth afaict, "units of these classes tend to have stats that go like this," which can in some cases be flat-out wrong.) In the games where pairings can influence the story and/or gameplay, why is the fact that they do so and instructions for how they do so not written in hot neon pink on every advertisement and on the back of the box, much less carefully explained ingame? (kudos to Awakening for any advances made in that area, of course.) Why do the games tend to leave players to figure out the prepromote-versus-growth-unit balancing act entirely on their own?

There are also areas where the gameplay and story can kinda chafe uncomfortably in recurring ways. Like, why is it a special occasion, for the most part, that a character dying has an immediate effect on either the story or anybody around them, or that they even trigger a response in doing so?

I harp on fe sometimes because I like it and think it could easily be even better, basically

I have long believed that Growth rates should be something clearly shown in game and am kind of confused why they keep them hidden when they specifically have ways of increasing them in some games.