Rate the Unit, Day 30: Reyson

Reyson is only weak against arrows when he is transformed.

Every other 5 move dancer/bard recieves a score of 8 or higher.

Reyson flys and transforms into an 8 movement refresher who can refresh 4 people at once! If you give him the boots and the Knight Ring he can really make shit happen.

10/10 - There is no reason to not deploy him for every map on every playthrough.

10/10

Reyson on Laguz Stone allows you to 2/3-turn some of the later maps with your pallie squad. Besides that, is basically a clone of any unit of your choosing, flies, etc, etc. Basically the epitome of awesome. Go Reyson!

Dancers who only refresh one unit are vastly overrated.

Dancers who refresh many units are exactly as good as people think they are.

Reyson is... both? But he can be the latter on command when you need him to be, and in his superior form he can fly which is something no other dancer before him can claim to be able to do (and he has a whopping 8 MOV transformed). Plus minor HP regen and stuff, not that important. He's fragile, but I don't recall the dancer archetype being renowned for its tanking anyway so treat him carefully like you would any other dancer. Anyway the point is he can be the good kind of dancer when it's important to have one of those so he's good, even if at times he's the crappy sort of dancer, since at least a crappy dancer can only ever be average at worst.

9/10

*sigh* I am going to get a lot of hate for this buuuut...

I really don't see what all the big hype over Reyson, or dancers in general, is. They're frail units whose one specialty is in letting another unit other than themselves do something. I will ignore the question of if they should get credit for other units work or not, but instead ask why I shouldn't just deploy another unit? Sure, they not be as great as super-mega unit, but unless they're Rolf-sucky they can still provide a lot of use and utility I simply cannot get with a dancer. Like for one, able to take out another unit in the middle of combat that would normally get dancers killed.

Reyson spends some of his time unshifted and, when he's like that, he's near-worthless IMO. When he's shifted he can restore up to four units but... I honestly have never seen a situation where I've had more than two units set up in such a way as to be refreshed by him that wouldn't be either pointless or refreshing for the sake of refreshing. To make it worse, as my party moves forwards, unless I'm using mainly foot-units, Reyson simply cannot keep up with those units people seem to feel he should be refreshing. He can't move with the fliers even when shifted because of danger, he can't keep up with the paladins and their high movement rates, and the foot soldiers will likely be getting up close and personal and unlikely to end up in a position for him to refresh more than one a turn.

I give him a 7/10 overall. If this was a normal dancer, I would probably drop him down to a 4. The only reason I am giving him a 7 is because I know other people have found ways to use them, but I just don't see the value in it beyond LTC obsessing.

Letting you move a unit again is more useful than you let on...it allows for certain strategies that would be impossible otherwise, even in normal play...

Letting you move a unit again is more useful than you let on...it allows for certain strategies that would be impossible otherwise, even in normal play...

Adding on to this, to quote Mekkah:

There's a ton of them, but thankfully they are very similar. One interesting thing about them is that they never seem to have amazing availability: they tend to join around halfway through the game, give or take a few. But for the half they are around, they are very often your MVPs, even though at first sight they don't have a direct impact on your efficiency.

But that's because their approach to helping you is very subtle. Most of them have been classified before as "a copy of your best unit every turn", which isn't descriptive enough but it's getting there. It is one of the most simple and wonderful things they can do though: making your best unit move again, kill another enemy. This is most useful against the toughest of bosses, who usually can't threaten your dancer directly. Even if you have to dance in their attacking range, a simple rescue/drop from another two mook units can bring them to safety while still allowing them to dance again next turn if needed.

But they can do so much more than this. They extend a unit's movement towards the chapter's goal, or a secondary objective. They allow fliers and horsies to both rescue and drop in one turn. They allow a unit to attack something from a rather dangerous position, only to be able to retreat from there without requiring Canto (or like double the movement they have). Using dancers to their full potential often requires you to base your strategy around them, rather than just having them tag along. If you don't do that, they'll have some useful targets for the first few turns, but inevitably fall behind, and before long they'll hardly be of use at all. It's worth letting a few units fall behind a little just to facilitate the dancer to move up in line.

As the paragraphs say, saying they let you use two of your best unit is a vast understatement. Having two Seths would be awesome, but even then, they still couldn't do what Seth and a dancer can. Saying they double the usefulness of your best 1-4 units, depending on game, would be a better description, though still not perfect.

As for my rating, 9/10 for reasons people have said (dancer, meh availability, lowish move when untransformed, and frailty, though lol dancers in combat).

To make it worse, as my party moves forwards, unless I'm using mainly foot-units, Reyson simply cannot keep up with those units people seem to feel he should be refreshing. He can't keep up with the paladins and their high movement rates

Reyson can be rescue/take/dropped. This is especially useful in C18 where transformed Reyson can advance 4 mounted units 16 spaces (18 with the Boots) each turn, instead of their usual 9. This allows you to kill siege tome Sages before they get off a single attack and end the chapter before a bunch of Raven reinforcements arrive. Due to this chapter's narrow corridors, it's trivial to wall off Reyson with your 4 mounted units. This approach is also valuable to a lesser extent in C21, C23, C27, and C28.

Untransformed Reyson's greatest feat is enabling a mounted unit (ideally a flier) to rescue a unit, move forward 9-11 spaces, move forward another 9-11 spaces and drop that unit all in one turn. This is most notable in C20, C21, C25, and C28. Sometimes this puts Reyson at risk - at which point it's prudent to rescue him (either the traditional way or with the Rescue staff).

Oh yes, my real vote is a 9/10. Refresh is awesome and Snowy is the worst tactician ever for keeping Reyson in death range. Enough said.

Huh? I keep him completely out of death range. He's one of the frailest units around. I would never put him on the front lines near the paladins, fliers, or anything like that.