Should Thracia 776 be considered cannon or not?

Arrout

So, I'm almost finishing Seisen no Keifu (I'm in chapter 9), and I have read about Thracia 776, I haven't played it yet, so I don't really know. However, as far as I know, there are some things that make me wonder the cannonicity of Thracia. It seemingly retconned a lot of stuff from Seisen no Keifu, so should we disconsider things that happened in the game? Like, for example, Leif and Nanna should start as lovers, and both should be a lot stronger, everyone that was in Thracia 776 should be stronger. The cannon pairings seem ok, nothing incoerent, since Fin can romance Raquesis, and Lewyn can romance Ferry.
So should we consider that Thracia 776 reworked some of Seisen's story, or we should consider it not cannon?

I haven't played it yet, but it seems to me this way

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say an astounding yes, it should be considered canon. The thing about Leif/Nanna is maybe that IS wanted to shove a particular pairing down our throats(Sound familiar?) Also, the thing about them being stronger, that's what RPGs do. In the sequel, the characters lose all the power they had previously gained. Plus, Genealogy was made before Thracia, and interquels can be hard.

Well, guess you're right, I just guessed it over... But I don't have any problem with the pairings they throw at us, I like them anyways XD
Interquels are hard and frustrating to do without messing with some story aspects, and yeah, many RPGs make levels lower.

The fact Leif doesn't promote to Master Knight in FE5 is reason for it not to be canon.

Best answer I've read in quite some time

Edited by Arrout

The fact Leif doesn't promote to Master Knight in FE5 is reason for it not to be canon.

Why would that be a problem? It makes no sense for him to be a Master Knight in FE5 since that game chronologically ends not too long after Leaf was recruited as a level 1 Prince in FE4.

Why would that be a problem? It makes no sense for him to be a Master Knight in FE5 since that game chronologically ends not too long after Leaf was recruited as a level 1 Prince in FE4.

Pretty sure Klok was making a joke about how immensley disappoint that would be if you played FE4 and assumed that was Lief's promotion.

(Just say his horse died before Seliph showed up)

Yeah L95 hit it on the head. FE4 came first, so you play it and get like the ultimate class for his promotion. Then you play FE5 and he promotes to the shitty class he had in FE4. Fuck canonity, it's just a goddamn disappointment to me as a player. Why can't he be Prince class in FE5 and promote to MK? Would make me as a player feel way better than just getting a +1 to movement.

Yeah L95 hit it on the head. FE4 came first, so you play it and get like the ultimate class for his promotion. Then you play FE5 and he promotes to the shitty class he had in FE4. Fuck canonity, it's just a goddamn disappointment to me as a player. Why can't he be Prince class in FE5 and promote to MK? Would make me as a player feel way better than just getting a +1 to movement.

'Cause he's supposed to be the underdog, not to uebermensch. I mean, it's still awful, but it's in keeping with many of the other things that fall under the category "Thracia BS."

Now, as to a storyline reason why Finn is still a Level 7 unpromoted unit after all that time, you've got me...

So if I get this right, you mean that FE5 should be considered non-canon because it is actually consistent with FE4?

But if it was going completely off the rails by making him a Master Knight as early as Lenster it could be canon?

Edited by BrightBow

'Cause he's supposed to be the underdog, not to uebermensch. I mean, it's still awful, but it's in keeping with many of the other things that fall under the category "Thracia BS."

Now, as to a storyline reason why Finn is still a Level 7 unpromoted unit after all that time, you've got me...

...Joke. A joke.

So if I get this right, you mean that FE5 should be considered non-canon because it is actually consistent with FE4?

But if it was going completely off the rails by making him a Master Knight as early as Lenster it could be canon?

No.

He was making a joke.

Edited by L95

...Joke. A joke.

No.

He was making a joke.

Actually the promotion-continuity thing bothers me in both FE5 and the Marth games. What, I promote all my Archanean peg knights to badass dragon riders, skip ahead two years and everyone's back on a pegasus? Grr.

That's my point, really. Why does Leif have to lose MK promotion in FE5 to fix the timeline and remain canon? You don't have that issue in FE6/7 for all characters, or FE9/10 for all characters. Characters you promote in FE5 are unpromoted in FE4, all except for Leif. Gimme a badass Master Knight promotion for the main lord, damnit.

who cares? leif is already an awesome unit anyway.

I don't define swordlocked no-mount as awesome. Not to mention he's shitty unless you give him every stat booster in the game, but other characters are great without said boosters and godlike WITH the boosters. I hate nerfing the main lord to make them shittier than the other characters, game designers that do this are scum.

Edited by Klok

It appeared later than Genealogy, so the inconsistencies can be attributed to the design timeline, I imagine.

I don't see why it shouldn't be.

It's the only part of Jugdral worth being canon, so yeah

Two weeks ago you were trashing the script for Thracia as being completely worthless. Now it's the only part of Jugdral worth being canon. What gives?

That's my point, really. Why does Leif have to lose MK promotion in FE5 to fix the timeline and remain canon? You don't have that issue in FE6/7 for all characters, or FE9/10 for all characters. Characters you promote in FE5 are unpromoted in FE4, all except for Leif. Gimme a badass Master Knight promotion for the main lord, damnit.

I don't define swordlocked no-mount as awesome. Not to mention he's shitty unless you give him every stat booster in the game, but other characters are great without said boosters and godlike WITH the boosters. I hate nerfing the main lord to make them shittier than the other characters, game designers that do this are scum.

You can give Leif one +HP booster and maybe the Speed Ring and carry the first 12 chapters of the game. He has a PRF 1-2 range weapon that hits on Magic, Pursuit, has a plethora of Support bonuses with many other strong members of the cast... Also, being no-mount in a game with dismount and a sizeable number of indoor chapters, especially the concluding ones.

I'm sorry Klok, but lately when you post about mechanics, you do little more than out yourself as a suboptimal Fire Emblem player, especially when you are arguing counter to -dondon-.

Edited by Siuloir

With better mounted unit mechanics (read: dismounting), irrelevant weapon triangle, and Sword of Seals lite as his personal weapon being a swordlocked foot unit isn't such a big deal. The Manster chapters also give him enough exp to easily reach 20 by chapter 18, and scrolls can fix his mediocre growths. Wait above Staff, infinite range status staves, and the RNG are far worse than (not really) sandbagging the main character.

does that mean that i so overwhelmed you with my assertive correctness that you figuratively died, or that you found my notion so ridiculous that you figuratively died?

i'd prefer not to argue from authority as siuloir kind of did earlier (for one, i'd be using myself as the authority figure). if you'd like to challenge me on this particular statement, i'll be perfectly willing to take you up on that.

Edited by dondon151

Leaf is forced in every chapter and immune to fatigue, and most of the good characters don't really need boosters. So I'd say Leaf gets the most out of (some of) them by far. He will never set the world on fire, but he's definitely a solid unit.

Therefore, his game should be considered canon.