NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

NFL+Logo+08.png

Heya, everyone! I'm back again as your SF NFL host, and very soon, this year's NFL draft pick will start! :)

I never really followed these, but other NFL fans requested that I start this thread earlier than last year's because of it, so here we are. Discuss who you hope will be added to your favorite team, the trades that your team has already made, what you expect regarding this season's game schedules, and so on. Then the real fun begins when pre-season rolls around. :D

As many people here already know, I'm a diehard Steeler fan because I happen to be from Pittsburgh and am proud of it. I'm not so proud of how they ended their season last year, but I am proud of how freaking hard they tried to get into the playoffs regardless. Anyway, for a few reasons, I definitely expect them to make the playoffs this time around. Firstly, that schedule they got rocks. None of the tougher teams like the Seahawks and Patriots are on it, and they don't face the Bengals until the last few games. I'd say the only challenges they'll have are the Bengals, Panthers, and MAYBE the Ravens. But the best thing is that the Steelers get to start the season by handing the Browns their asses as usual. Oh yeah. XD (cause let's face it, the Browns are never good lol)

Second, the Steelers really stepped up their game after awhile when Bell and Miller finally got their chance in the field, and Brown is the best receiver we've had since Hines Ward. Sanders left and went to the Broncos while Cotchery joined the Panthers, but that shouldn't matter, Bell, Miller, and Brown still did most of the work last year. Besides, the Panthers need a red zone guy like Cotchery around. Their receivers were never anything special before and Cam Newton needs people to work with, or else he can't show how awesome he is. The Panthers are my second favorite team now (sorry Dolphins, but Cam Newton's awesomeness and my living in North Carolina beat you guys out. You're still number three though!), so yeah.

Speaking of which, the Panthers also gave the Steelers a defender, which is good because they had to retire Woodley (I wish he wasn't old, damn it, he was amazing at getting sacks. But oh well xP). The Steelers also got a new defensive coach that used to be one of their best defenders.

Anyway, some Steeler fans are even saying they should make it to the Super Bowl this time around, but I don't know about that. I need to see who else makes the playoffs first. :P

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of the teams i like/follow and their offseason moves

New Orleans Saints

- cut a bunch of their aging defensive veterans - Jonathan Vilma, Jabari Greer, Will Smith, and Roman Harper as well as Lance Moore. Traded Darren Sproles as well, and I don't think they went after Brian de la Puente

- Signed Champ Bailey and Jairus Byrd, franchised Jimmy Graham

Overall not a net loss; de la Puente was nothing special, Sproles was on the tail end of his career, Moore and the four were injured and inconsistent all year and they have plenty of depth in those positions. Mark Ingram looked okay during the tail end of the season and the playoffs and Sean Payton is good at drafting running backs that do what he needs them to do. It also looks to me like Payton is going to lean on the running game a lot more as opposed to making them pass a lot - they struggled terribly on the road last year (8-0 at home, 3-5 on the road while putting up 34 points at home and 17-18 on the road) and may start making more of a defense/run game shift due to Rex Ryan molding a record breaking defense in 2012 (and I mean they broke records of a bunch of yards allowed - they also allowed 454 points and scored 461 of their own, going 7-9 in the process).

Detroit Lions

- Fired Schwartz and most of his staff; hired Caldwell (former Ravens QB Coach/OC, Colts QB Coach/HC) and Teryl Austin (former Ravens DB Coach) and Joe Lombardi (I believe former Saints QB Coach)

- Finally got a competent #2 receiver in Golden Tate where he will catch Matt Stafford interceptions for touchdowns twice a year

- Franchise tagged Joique Bell I believe? Something like that

- Grabbed fucking James Ihedigbo, who was ridiculously good with the Ravens last year

- Also cut Louis Delmas and Nate "Pizza Catcher Burleson... And sign Dan Orlovsky

Overall not too bad. I have no idea what i think of Caldwell as an HC, I guess the Colts went to the Super Bowl in 2009 and then 2010 they went 10-6 despite half their roster on IR, and in 2011 they went 2-14 because they actually had trash at QB and the Colts still couldn't stop the run. As OC he didn't change Cam Cameron's playbook between years and kept calling deep passing plays despite a bad offensive line. Joe Lombardi will probably do the same thing Scott Linehan did and just pass pass pass until the side of John Matthew Stafford's arm falls off. Also, Tate's probably the best receiver to ever play opposite Megatron... lol They need someone in the secondary and some WRs, pronto. Maybe a tight end, because Pettigrew sucks outside of blocking.

At least it's not fuckin Jim Schwartz

Arizona Cardinals

- Added Jared Veldheer as LT, holy shit

- Lost Karlos Dansby to the Browns and Andre Roberts to the Redskins

- Signed Antonio Cromartie, Ted Ginn Jr., but most of their defensive aside from that was kept intact

- Jonathan Cooper and Tyrann Mathieu will hopefully be off of IR

Not a bad offseason, this team was really clicking towards the closing stretch of last year. They definitely need Tight Ends, and losing Karlos Dansby is huge because that dude was a monster. He put up stats as an ILB that corners wished they could match - I guess because Mathieu and Peterson were so great that QBs would go after Tight Ends. Cromartie's not bad, I'm not too hot on the signing, whereas Ted Ginn may just be stuck doing return duties and occasionally taking a screen to the house. This team definitely needs OL, RB, and a QB of the future once Palmer retires. I also believe they need some depth on that defense, but their line and linebackers are good and their secondary is second only to Seattle. Speaking of Seattle...

Seattle Seahawks

I haven't been keeping up with them honestly, I just know that /r/nfl collectively sucks Wilson's dick now. Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas are a dream come true and I wish we had something like that in Baltimore (we had Ed Reed and person playing with Ed Reed).

St. Louis Rams

These guys have been quiet, I just know Bradford's recovering from ACL surgery and they're shopping the second pick. They have two first round picks, maybe 3 if someone gives them the right pick. Definitely need some fucking WRs because their WRs suck some major dick. Also need an offensive line.

Indianapolis Colts

- Signed Hakeem Nicks and my boy Arthur Jones

- Ahmad Bradshaw, Dwayne Allen, Reggie Wayne and Vick Ballard coming off of IR

- Lost Donald Brown (lol) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (again lol), neither of them were any good anyway

Colts are looking up right about now. They started out dominant but fell to injury. The defense is doing a great job of emulating why exactly those Colts in the past failed - no run defense. Mathis is a speed rusher and there's a damn good reason why he didn't get anywhere near DPOY this year - that whole defense is a liability when it comes to run support. I don't know what to think of Pagano as a coach either, I just know about his locker room speeches. Hopefully they won't be so damn stubborn about running it with Richardson (they don't run the right type of blocking scheme for him either) and forget you can pass the damn ball so you don't get behind early. Hopefully they can draft and make up for the fact that after Wayne/Nicks/Hilton go down (one of those three) then you have fucking practice squad guys at WR.

Denver Broncos

- Lost Eric Decker, Champ Bailey, Knowshon Moreno, Trindon Holliday, Wesley Woodyard, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

- Got Emmanuel Sanders, TJ Ward, Aqib Talib, and DeMarcus Ware

- Von Miller, their LT whose name I forget, and Rahim Moore back from IR

Well, no comments yet. Hopefully they will be back to 2012 form, and not this 2013 team I saw. I know everyone will talk about either Peyton choking or some bullshit, but not only were the receivers outmatched but the line was bad, the run game was bad, and the defense was bad, so were the special teams. I have no idea how good or bad this team will be coming up, because Decker was a very good receiver, but Knowshon was good at everything that an RB should be good at - except rushing. Holliday was fucking terrible last year, and DRC was the only solid contributor they really lost. Woodyard was injured all year. However, they gained three solid defensive (though Talib is injury prone) and also got two more back from IR. Their LT - whose name I honestly can't remember for the life of me - is back from IR. They really need either a running back or some linebackers/defensive backs, though, because they need a lot of depth there. Elway's definitely in "win now" mode, though, and I don't think he'll stop until this team gets a Super Bowl, hence he went crazy in FA.

I'd also like to add that this 2013 Broncos offense was not only feasting on a bad conference but they were not dominant. Just because they shattered records doesn't mean they were one of the GOAT; I wouldn't even put them in the Top 10. They ran up the score because their defense was terrible, not because they were that great. If you can't trust your D to make a stop you keep scoring. Furthermore, they had a very inconsistent and borderline terrible run game, and a stoppable passing game. They are nothing compared to the 2007 Patriots, 1998 Vikings, and hell I'd take the 2010-2012 Patriots and 2012 Broncos over these guys. And all of those Colts teams that Manning has played with had better offenses than last year's Broncos. Sorry, end rant; I predicted them to score like 13 points in the Super Bowl so I was pretty let down that they only hit 8 in garbage time.

Baltimore Ravens

- Lost Arthur Jones, Tandon Doss (lol), Ed Dickson (lol), James Ihedigbo, Corey Graham, Michael Oher, Jameel McClain

- Re-signed Pitta, Jacoby Jones, Daryl Smith, Eugene Monroe, extended Suggs

- Signed Steve Smith, Justin Forsett and Owen Daniels, traded for Jeremy Zuttah

- Kelechi Osemele off of IR

- Gary Kubiak as OC, Rick Dennison as QB Coach, and Bobby Engram (former Seahawk) as WR Coach - Derrick Mason reached out to become a WR coach!

Well, I'm not going into detail with the Ray Rice situation, but we definitely signed back all the guys we wanted and lost dudes who were either getting replaced (Ihedigbo and Jones) or just not very good/incompetent (the entire rest of them). Also finally fixed our offensive line - Gino was the worst center in the league, even worse than backups, and AQ Shipley was one of the worst Guards in the league. Osemele will replace AQ cause he's healthy now (there's a video out there of him walking with a truck wheel attached to him) at LG and Zuttah will replace Gino at C, which are massive upgrades. But I have no idea how our offense will shape up due to not having that great a corps of WRs, and I have no idea how healthy Owen Daniels can stay. I don't know if Rice has declined and I don't know what system Kubiak will be putting in. I don't know about Dennison's coaching either. Because we've run some Coryell/power run offense (despite bad offensive lines) for 6 years and will probably switch to a West Coast/Zone run offense type thing which is much different than what i'm used to seeing from us.

Edited by Lord Raven

I think the Bears did well in Free Agency, added some depth in the Secondary, although not a lot of good talent, SIgned Jared Allen, Lammar Houston and Wille Young to help what was one of the worst defensive lines last year, they lost Peppers (but he's 34 and was looking like he didn't even care anymore last year so I'm not going to complain).

As for the draft, while I'm hoping for Aaron Donald I would not be at all disappointed if the Bears picked up TImmy Jernigan in the draft, Jernigan is a better run stuffer so he might actually be a better guy to have in this situation (league's worst run defense hasn't really upgraded their interior DL). Donald would make for a scary pass rush alongside Jared Allen and Lammar Houston though so he's still my preferred guy, he'll probably be gone by pick #14 sadly. The Bears could also use some help in the secondary but I think the secondary will be better this year with a defensive line that isn't cheese.

Edited by Da Bear

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Steelers also got themselves a new o-line coordinator, so hopefully we won't have anymore revolving-completely-around-Pouncey bullshit. As good a center as Pouncey is, everything went to hell as soon as DeCastro busted the guy's knee. And speaking of which, hopefully DeCastro will stop hurting his own teammates. >_>

It's also great to see Polamalu running around like he's 21 again. That guy really made up for being mostly absent the season before last. Leading the league in forced fumbles and getting a nice set of picks. That's mah man Troy! Troy's our boy! Here's to another three more seasons of Troy being Troy! :D

Edited by Anacybele

Mike Munchak? Dude's an HoF lineman, he knows his shit and even though he flopped as HC in Tennessee he was a very good line coach there so fuck the Steelers for hiring him.

Having that said, I'm excited for Bobby Engram for the same exact reason - he was a very good route runner in Seattle back in the day (and it's why I would've loved Derrick Mason who is my second favorite Raven/player anyway).

As long as Denver doesn't shit themselves in the SB I will be happy

WARE/WARD/TALIB DOE~

Talib signing is overrated. Dude is as amazing as they come, but he has issues staying healthy. Remember that he's been knocked out of two straight AFCCGs, one due to a Welker pick play and I don't know why he was knocked out of the other. Losing DRC totally demolished your corner depth though, because before yall had Tony Carter/Chris Harris/Champ Bailey/DRC which were all great, except now you lost DRC and Champ for Talib, so it's like Champ's injury issues mixed with DRC's talent.

Edited by Lord Raven

Talib signing is overrated. Dude is as amazing as they come, but he has issues staying healthy. Remember that he's been knocked out of two straight AFCCGs, one due to a Welker pick play and I don't know why he was knocked out of the other. Losing DRC totally demolished your corner depth though, because before yall had Tony Carter/Chris Harris/Champ Bailey/DRC which were all great, except now you lost DRC and Champ for Talib, so it's like Champ's injury issues mixed with DRC's talent.

Honestly? Champ's been getting burned the last few years and DRC only plays hard when he's playing for money. Talib's just plain good, and though he does have some injury concerns, I'd take him over either of those two at this point.

Mike Munchak? Dude's an HoF lineman, he knows his shit and even though he flopped as HC in Tennessee he was a very good line coach there so fuck the Steelers for hiring him.

Well then, I think I can expect Ben to be given a lot of time to throw Ben-Bombs to the endzone. :D (I tend to call his passes, mainly the long ones, that these days lol)

Honestly? Champ's been getting burned the last few years and DRC only plays hard when he's playing for money. Talib's just plain good, and though he does have some injury concerns, I'd take him over either of those two at this point.

I'd take DRC. Champ is solid as a slot corner in his advanced age, so when they put him up against someone like Torrey Smith a year ago I was completely baffled.

As for DRC, the dude did really well last year. The Broncos just didn't have a stable pass rush (due to losing Dumervil, the Von Miller suspension on top of the injuries they've sustained) and Rahim Moore got sick later on in the season. They also didn't have a good strong safety, and two of Chris Harris/Tony Carter/Champ Bailey always seemed to be injured (most of the time it was like Champ Bailey and then one of Harris or Carter).

Talib has not played 16 games a year every year, and he's always sustained some injury at all times. His body of work is overrated, but when he's on the field he's a force unless he gets injured.

All players play for money. A hometown discount isn't always a thing, and DRC was actually offered only a million less than Talib or something (well his contract was actually very nuanced and he didn't take it because it was worth less than the averages say in the short run).

Edited by Lord Raven

As long as Denver doesn't shit themselves in the SB I will be happy

WARE/WARD/TALIB DOE~

What if Denver becomes the new Buffalo? They make the big one and then lose for four straight years

Anyways Go Pats. I don't think anybody wants to hear my opinion on the pats offseason.

And just to touch on the Talib topic, the only problem I have with his signing is the duration of the contract. 5(I think) years to a corner with injury concerns. I was saying it before he left New England I wouldn't give him mor than three.

But Denver has the same problem it did last year, when your going into the wind Manning no longer has the arm strength to throw downfield. It's one of the reasons why we beat them in the regular season and why San Diego beat them. I believe Arizona is a dome so if they make it to the Super Bowl this shouldn't be a problem, but Denver's probably won't be so mellow this year during the playoffs.

Most passing teams are like that. Brees couldn't do it, Brady struggles with it, etc. Surprisingly Flacco is probably one of the best when it comes to throwing in adverse conditions (probably cause he went to Delaware and had to endure the retardedly bad weather of the area). It's something inherently wrong with the system - not enough rushing - than the player. And Manning hasn't had any bad games in 2013 because of the wind...

The San Diego game was bad cause of Welker being deactivated for the rest of the season, it being a short week so other players weren't in the lineup, and San Diego having the ball for like 40 minutes compared to 20. SD was burning clock and Denver kept getting three and outs because they tried to run the ball in their first couple drives, got a third and long, and then punted to SD who took forever to finish a drive.

Edited by Lord Raven

Looking up more info, I also noticed that the Steelers reitred Larry Foote too. Not surprised here, that guy had been around for years. One other guy retired as well, but I don't remember his name. I didn't recognize it either, oddly enough. xP

Well, the Browns addressed a lot of needs in free agency. Whitner and Dansby can hopefully fill the holes created by letting Ward and Jackson go. Tate hopefully will pay off, too, since now we don't absolutely have to pick an RB in the first round (though drafting one is still a huge priority). Adding two more WRs and a TE was huge, too. Now opposing defenses hopefully can't shut down our passing game by swarming on Gordon and Cameron.

Then comes our schedule. We open facing the Steelers in Pittsburgh. We've beaten the Steelers in Pittsburgh exactly twice in my entire lifetime (1999 and 2003), and that's counting the 1991-1995 seasons with the old Browns. Then, we get two more brutal games against the Saints and the Ravens before getting an early bye (we'll need that). Then, we face the Titans and have our second game against the Steelers before we get into the (comparatively) easier middle of the season. The way I see it, the Titans game is a must-win. Out of our first five games, it's the only one where I don't see us getting curbstomped, and we can't go 0-5 if we want any hope of a decent season. We then absolutely need to gobble up the teams we face in the middle. The middle seven games are the Jaguars, the Raiders, the Buccaneers, the Bengals, the Texans, the Falcons, and the Bills. The Bengals are a tough opponent, but we're usually better against them than we are against the other teams in our division, regardless of how each team in our division looks in any given year. We need to sweep these seven games, though, if we want to get into the playoffs. Even a great team tends to have trouble with long sweeps like that, and we're the Browns (i.e. the exact opposite of a great team). Then, comes December, where our season ends like it began. Brutally. We face the Colts, then the Bengals (who we tend to beat once, but never twice), then the Panthers, and then we end the season by facing the Ravens in Baltimore. If we beat the Titans and sweep the middle seven games, that still only leaves us with an 8-8 record. The way I see it, we'll probably need to win at least two more games than that, probably three.

On a final note, the general consensus is that we're going to be drafting Manziel. My sister is not happy about that. I'm still on "Team Hoyer" though. My own concern is that Manziel or whoever we pick will simply win the starting job based solely on being a first round draft choice.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Manziel would be an ok pick for Cleveland but picking Sammy Watkins would be way better(If the Jags take Watkins then I would say they should take Mack over Manziel or trade down a few picks for Mike Evans). Pick #26 would be better suited to a QB. A recent mock draft (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000345921/article/mock-draft-60-fourround-2014-nfl-draft-projection?campaign=Facebook_writers_brooks) had the Browns getting Bridgewater there and Watkins at #4. That looks to me like the best thing that could happen to them.

Edited by Da Bear

I doubt the new FO would start a rookie unless they won the job. Hoyer may not look good based on his ACL injury. We will see. Manziel, from my understanding, has a pretty solid work ethic.

I doubt the new FO would start a rookie unless they won the job. Hoyer may not look good based on his ACL injury. We will see. Manziel, from my understanding, has a pretty solid work ethic.

I'm not bashing Manziel. He's the best qb in this class. Watkins and Mack are just better; Watkins opposite Gordon with Cameron in the middle would be a scary receiving group and Mack would improve the defense in a defensively focused division, either one are better than what Manziel has to offer in my opinion, especially if it's looking like Bridgewater might drop to their second first round pick.

I take back trading down for Mike Evans as an idea though, Manziel would probably be better at that point.

Edited by Da Bear

Speaking of holes, I haven't yet heard anything about who will be filling Cotchery's and Sanders's shoes for the Steelers. Then again, I haven't been paying much attention lately because I was on vacation and stuff. They've probably gotten replacements by now, I wager. *goes to the website to have a looksie*

Lance Moore and some second year guy @above and... Maybe Darius Heyward-Bey lol

Also is Manziel really the best QB of this draft? I always thought it was Bridgewater and I have no idea why his stock is dropping so rapidly

Actually, you're correct, we got Heyward-Bey. :P

I think I remember that guy. Wasn't he on the Raiders and then got stomped to the ground by a Steeler and had to be carted off the field on a stretcher? Yeah, that had been uncalled for. But funny that he's joining the team that put him in the hospital.

Oh also, Ryan Clark is gone. Man, he was good too. :( But the team still kept some other familiar guys besides Polamalu and Miller. Will Allen, William Gay, Cortez Allen, Marcus Gilbert, Jason Worilds, and some other long-timers are sticking around.

Edited by Anacybele

Also is Manziel really the best QB of this draft? I always thought it was Bridgewater and I have no idea why his stock is dropping so rapidly

I honestly have no idea, either. But a lot of mock drafts I've seen have us drafting Manziel at #4 and Bridgewater being drafted by someone else much later.

Heyward-Bey was just on the Colts and had a pretty bad season there. It showed off how unfit he is as a WR in the NFL; he's more of a special teams gunner.

Bridgewater had a terrible pro day, this is leading to a bunch of people questioning his resolve or that kind of thinf.

Manziel had a great pro day.

That's the main difference, Manziel also has a better work ethic and he's more athletic. lf Manziel's mechanics can be improved he'll easily surpass rhe others.

I think bridgewater will be fine as sometimes people just over analyze these guys to death and forget to look at what he does well. That being said, drafting a qb is very hard but if the coaching staff and gm and what not think that they have a franchise qb, they should draft him. This draft seems to have a lot of good players and should be quite the thrilling first round.

Heyward-Bey was just on the Colts and had a pretty bad season there. It showed off how unfit he is as a WR in the NFL; he's more of a special teams gunner.

Huh, I hope he's used more on our special teams then. Otherwise, well shit.

Huh, I hope he's used more on our special teams then. Otherwise, well shit.

He's got talent in most areas but his hands are pretty bad so yeah, he won't serve you well as a WR.