I hope somebody here can do physics

Freohr Datia

I have a problem that I am having much trouble with one of my questions.

As a baseball is being caught, its speed goes from 30.0 m/s to 0.0 m/s in about 0.0050s. The mass of the baseball is 0.145 kg.

a.) What is the baseball's acceleration?

b.) What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on it?

c.) What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the player who caught it?

Mostly I just need help on part a so if I could get help on that, that would be nice. Could anybody help me?

As a baseball is being caught, its speed goes from 30.0 m/s to 0.0 m/s in about 0.0050s. The mass of the baseball is 0.145 kg.

Acceleration = Change in Velocity or Speed divided by Time.

You have Time (0.0050s).

You have Change in Velocity/Speed (30.0 m/s - 0.0 m/s)

Use a reference table.

Edited by ?!

b.) What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on it?

c.) What are the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the player who caught it?

Mostly I just need help on part a so if I could get help on that, that would be nice. Could anybody help me?

a. (30-0)/0.05

b. use Force = mass*acceleration. Also the force is negative since the ball is slowing down.

c. Force on player = equal in magnitude to force on ball but opposite in direction (Newton's 3rd law)

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I agree with Nestling.

Ah ok I was doing something similar to what you guys are doing on part a but I was doing it wrong XD

Thanks for helping. I knew I shouldn'ta skipped chemistry to take physics before I moved. The typical junior in my school should be taking chemistry this year. But I'm taking Algebra II at the same time so algebra and physics are teaching very similar things.

EDIT: And in reply to Roxas. I guess I remembered the last time I got help with homework and thought I could get some this time and ha!!! I did!. Back then I had Bohemund to help me =D

Edited by Freohr Datia

A) Acceleration = Change in Velocity ÷ Time [definition of acceleration]

a=(v-u)÷t

=> a=(0-30)÷.005

=> a=-6000 ms-2 [negative sign means that ball is slowing down, not speeding up]

B) Force = mass × acceleration [derived from Newton's second law of motion]

F=m×a

=> F=0.145×(-6000)

=> F=-870 kgms-2

=> F=-870 N

Magnitude of force = 870 N

Direction of force = Backwards/Opposite the direction of motion of the ball [since the value is negative]

C) The ball's force on player has equal magnitude but opposite direction of the player's force on ball [Newton's third law of motion]

So Magnitude of force = 870 N

Direction of Force = Forwards/Same as direction of motion of the ball