More SRPG recommendations?

MacLovin

I've been hankering for more SRPG fun, and keep in mind I can't do DS games on my pc.

So, I've tried a little bit of Ogre BAttle, Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Rebelstar GBA, Final Fantasy Tactics, Riviera, and Advance Wars.

Any other recommendations?

I enjoy 16 bit type things.

Edited by Aquaman

Hmm, How about Tactics Ogre (Snes), or maybe Yggdra Union (Even though I'd recommend the PSP version)

Since you've played Shining Force, I also say play Shining Force 2 as well or to a lesser extent, maybe some Super Robot Wars games

Shining Force 2, Shining Force CD, and Shining Force GBA are all pretty good,

Oh and I did play the SRW games, but the surprises keep popping up in them :/

I didn't played it a lot, but FEDA : The Emblem of Justice is pretty similar to Shining force, and have story changing depending on your actions, making you go Chaotic or Good.

Tactics Ogre is a must play, if you haven't already, and Knight of Lodis on GBA is pretty cool as well.

If you want a more "exotic" Choice, you could try Treasure Hunter G. It's more a RPG, than a RPG, though...

And, Bahamuth Lagoon should also be played at least once. It have some interresting tactics, but mainly because of the general ambinace.

Edited by TendaSlime

I didn't played it a lot, but FEDA : The Emblem of Justice is pretty similar to Shining force, and have story changing depending on your actions, making you go Chaotic or Good.

Tactics Ogre is a must play, if you haven't already, and Knight of Lodis on GBA is pretty cool as well.

If you want a more "exotic" Choice, you could try Treasure Hunter G. It's more a RPG, than a RPG, though...

I was in the middle of typing when I saw this... does that mean I got ninja'd?

Seriously, I completely forgot about FEDA, yes, play FEDA

Tactics Ogre is seriously a must, I agree, I was actually going to replay Knight of Lodis when I got the chance

My brother played Treasure Hunter G, he seemed to liked, so I might sugggest that as well

Edited by Soledai

I was in the middle of typing when I saw this... does that mean I got ninja'd?

Seriously, I completely forgot about FEDA, yes, play FEDA

I really should try it again. It seems really interresting.

Battle for Wesnoth

It's Open Source and freeware and stuff. So there is not much reason not to play it.

I am actually kinda surprised how little you hear about it on a Fire Emblem forum off all things.

I would say that it's immensely well designed. Character Levels are never a substitute for actual strategy.

You might want to consider looking into Tear Ring Saga, seeing how it's virtually indistinguishable from the Fire Emblem series. Especially compared to Thracia 776.

Heck, I would say that Kaga was practically begging to be sued by his former employee with this one.

Anyway, It's definitely more my idea on how the series should have developed from Thracia.

Unfortunately, at this point the available translation patch requires a lot of masochism past chapter 10.

I personally would also claim that most infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale) are pretty much SRPGs.

Heck, the engine itself seems to be almost more designed for RTS games anyway.

The parties can be pretty huge and mindlessly rushing into enemies goes about as well as it should.

Baldur's Gate as actually characters as potential PCs while Icewind Dale has you create a whole party from scratch.

Unfortunately, at this point the available translation patch requires a lot of masochism past chapter 10.

And then you get to chapter about 25 and the patch suddenly becomes fun for everybody!

Nobody's said Disgaea yet, so I'll throw that in as well '3'

It's got some grind if you want to do all the post game/extra stuff in it, but the dialogue's pretty hilarious and the music's great.

also want to recommend Super Robot Wars until I'm blue in the face, it's the best series ever

If you want some Fanservice fun, Luminous Ark 2 on the DS is fun as well. The 1 is absolutely awful though...

Rondo of Swords is pretty hard, but it's interresting as well.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, June 6, 2013 - Double
Hidden by Florete, June 6, 2013 - Double

The old X-COM games (UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep) are both excellent but they control like butt.

EDIT: yo doublepost sup

Edited by Integrity

I'll second what Integ said, I've never played them but I've seen them played in great detail, and I can say that what I saw looked pretty great.

If you can get the cash for it, try the new Xcom game too, it's also fairly awesome.

Nobody's said Disgaea yet, so I'll throw that in as well '3'

It's got some grind if you want to do all the post game/extra stuff in it, but the dialogue's pretty hilarious and the music's great.

also want to recommend Super Robot Wars until I'm blue in the face, it's the best series ever

To follow up on the Disgaea comment, I recommend the other Nippon Ichi games for strategy as well, including La Pucelle Tactics and Soul Nomad (my personal favorites!) if you have a PS2...

If he doesn't have a Playstation, it seems logical to assume he doesn't have a PS2, given that owning the latter would allow him the former. :P

FEDA: Emblem of Justice and Bahamut Lagoon (both SNES) are SRPGs I'd recommend. Especially the latter, with the dragon customization and the soundtrack.

And although it may not exactly be an SRPG (but feels like one somewhat) Riviera: The Promised Land also comes to mind.

Der Langrisser for the SNES. Not much people seem to know about Langrisser which is my favorite SRPG series.

Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete PC

Battle Moon Wars PC - This game plays exactly like Super Robot Wars games but has Type-Moon Characters.

Forgot about Eein no Aselia PC - It's a visual novel SRPG game. Lots of reading involved but the game is very good with 8 different endings, plenty of gameplay around 40+ hours and easily 100+ for multiple routes, 3 difficulty levels, and option for new game plus.

If you don't mind adult content.

Utawarerumono PC is a visual novel SRPG game plays similar to Shining Force in gameplay. Who needs paladins when you have Aruru who rides a giant white tiger. Also this game is recommended to play on a slow PC since the game doesn't have a auto speed sync option.

Kamidori Alchemy Meister PC another really good visual novel SRPG game.

Edited by Siruppercut

Adding to the list:

Yggdra Union is very fun IS-like SRPG done by Atlus.

La Pucelle and Soul Nomad are, in my opinion, NIS's best games.

Energy Breaker is one of those rare gems that still fly under the radar, but it was fan-translated last year which is great.

And if you want to take a chance at real-time, play Ogre Battle or the N64 sequel. If you don't want to take a chance, play Ogre Battle 64 anyway, because it's a 10/10 game.

Der Langrisser for the SNES. Not much people seem to know about Langrisser which is my favorite SRPG series.

I just happen to be one of those people who know and love the Langrisser series, particularly Der Langrisser and Langrisser 4

For Der Langrisser, I have separate save-states for each ending...

I just happen to be one of those people who know and love the Langrisser series, particularly Der Langrisser and Langrisser 4

For Der Langrisser, I have separate save-states for each ending...

My favorite is Der Langrisser. So much replay value for Der Langrisser with 4 different paths Light, Chaos, Imperial, and Independent. Langrisser 4 comes in second but can't compare since 3 and 5 isn't translated. I enjoyed playing the others even with no translation. Would be nice if Langrisser 3 and 5 gets translated.

I first played Warsong on the Sega Genesis. That is what got me into the series. Really enjoyed Warsong so much and was sad to never see a sequel to the game. Only to find out later when I owned a Sega Saturn and got into import games. I bought Langrisser 3, 4, and 5. Only to find out Warsong was Langrisser. I was talking to the person working at Swap USA and mentioned how Langrisser 3 reminded me of the game Warsong on the Sega Genesis. Then he told me Warsong is the English name of Langrisser. I felt like a retard for not knowing that. I really hate it when companies change the names of the game when they localize it in the US/EU.

Devil Survivor. I can't believe no one mentioned it by now...

It's not that people probably forgot to mention it but the OP can't run NDS emulator well on his laptop. There would be a lot more recommendations of games if he was able to run PS1, PS2, PSP, SS, and NDS.

The Civilization games are great fun. All the Civ games are even on sale this weekend on Steam, so you could pick up an old game like Civ III for as little as $1.24 with every expansion.