The Well

Prims

"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Tuesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."

- some terrible copy&paste that doesn't outline the concept of the thread very well at all

The well, adapted from Smogon (which adapted it from a certain site that shall not be named, but that's neither here nor there), is a series of interviews where a user posts an introduction of themselves and answers questions for 5 days. After that, there will be a two-day voting period where voters pick three users they would like to see in the well next. Whoever has the most votes wins, so long as they do not decline to do a week. Since this is the mafia board, only users who have hosted or played in at least one non-filler mafia game without being modkilled since January 2012 are allowed to vote, though questions from everybody are fair game.

Up first is Kaoz, who should be posting his introduction shortly.

Archives

Edited by Prims

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, everyone, this is Kaoz. I'm from Germany, 23 years old and have been on SF since 2010. My first mafia game was Unicycle Mafia in 2011. I've played a total of 28 games and hosted 4.

Now with that out of the way, feel free to ask some question. Be warned that bad questions will at best get bad answers. Also, the answer to the Nth question is "Probably Knight Mafia."

Are you gonna host another unicycle-type game any time soon?

What makes you want to join games on the occasions you do join?

Why do you prefer mafia to town? Does gametype (OC / NOC) affect how strong your preference is? Thoughts on being ITP?

If you were to join a 13p game (>implying), who would you want to fill the other 12 slots? How would the answer change between OC / NOC?

Thoughts on OC these days? Please write an essay.

What kind of steps do you take when you're creating a themed setup? Do you begin with an idea or mechanic or role that is very tied to the theme and then build roles around there or do you make the roles and then assign a theme to it afterwards and maybe adjust it a little according to that?

I guess along the lines of Manix's question, which roles do you think are lame or unfun for players involved (you can split it into OC and NOC if you think that distinction is important).

What is your absolute favorite role(s)

[1:18:24 AM] Eukatastrophe: ask him what he plans to do with his spiffy new machamp

[1:19:13 AM] actually sephiroth irl (via): kill all the mafia obviously**
**or all the town since apparently you like being mafia

Edited by Quote

Kaoz, have you read Snow Crash? If not, why haven't you?

Definitely about mafia btw. I would ask Refa to vouch for it but he hasn't read it either.

Yet.

(yw prims)

also what is your preferred method of dealing with lurking scum*

assuming you can't vig them all

*including town-aligned lurking scum

who are you and what did you do to my brother?

I am Kaoz. I'm not sure who you're referring to exactly, but feel free to check the pile of corpses next to the door.

do you think kidnapper/silencer is a Bad Role?

In NOC, yes. I think those kind of roles can be fine in OC if there are some restrictions placed on them (i.e. something that prevents them from targeting the same player the entire game).

Do you prefer having safeclaims given to you by the mod as mafia or figuring out fakeclaims for yourself?

Depends on the mafia roles and overall setup. For example, if there's already an abundance of town investigative roles and you get a mafia cop on top of that, you're most likely going to use that as your claim as well. In a case like that I think a safe claim would be appropriate.

Basically, if you're not given fake claims you should have the opportunity to come up with a good one yourself based on the information available to you.

Are you gonna host another unicycle-type game any time soon?

NOC? Given the length of the queues, that seems unlikely. I could probably throw together an OC setup over Christmas break if there's demand for it, but I wouldn't if there is none.

What makes you want to join games on the occasions you do join?

Usually the player list I'd say.

Why do you prefer mafia to town? Does gametype (OC / NOC) affect how strong your preference is? Thoughts on being ITP?

I prefer it because I have someone to talk with as mafia. I want to say that I dislike being town in NOC more than in OC because it feels like more effort, but it's been years since I was town in an OC game, so I'm not sure. How enjoyable ITP is depends a lot on the specific role I think, so I can't say much about it.

If you were to join a 13p game (>implying), who would you want to fill the other 12 slots? How would the answer change between OC / NOC?

Tough question. I'll go with this for now:

[spoiler=OC]

Balcerzak

eclipse

Haze

Kay

Life

Obviam

Paperblade

Prims

Raymond

Snike

Strawman

Tables

[spoiler=NOC]

Conqueror

BBM

eclipse

Haze

Larsa

Levity

Paperblade

Prims

SB

Tables

Vhaltz

Weapons

Thoughts on OC these days? Please write an essay.

This question makes me wish I had paid more attention during Encounter. I guess one thing I could say is that people might want to work on their communication time management - you don't need to talk to everyone all the time I think, rather try to build up a proper network and manage information that way. I'm not sure if this is all that understandable, someone better at OC could probably explain this more properly.

Also, I don't know if this answers your question at all, it's kinda vague. Feel free to specify if you were interested in something different.

What kind of steps do you take when you're creating a themed setup? Do you begin with an idea or mechanic or role that is very tied to the theme and then build roles around there or do you make the roles and then assign a theme to it afterwards and maybe adjust it a little according to that?

The former. SSBU was always going to be stage centered and NPoT was always going to have a stamina like mechanic. If I were to make a setup based on the 3rd generation Pokemon games there would most definitely be a weather mechanic etc.

I guess along the lines of Manix's question, which roles do you think are lame or unfun for players involved (you can split it into OC and NOC if you think that distinction is important).

I could probably find a number of specific examples, but I think in general I'd say roles that punish normally good play and reward normally bad play. For example, a mafia role that always punishes the town for lynching it, or a town role that always punishes the mafia for night killing it.

Kaoz when are you gonna play with me again

When we both join the same game.

What is your absolute favorite role(s)

[1:18:24 AM] Eukatastrophe: ask him what he plans to do with his spiffy new machamp

[1:19:13 AM] actually sephiroth irl (via): kill all the mafia obviously**

**or all the town since apparently you like being mafia

If you mean from a design perspective, any role that utilizes a game's gimmicks well or interacts well with the other roles in the setup. If you mean favourite role to play, I'd imagine Mason as town, maybe Roleblocker as mafia.

Clearly. But seriously, it's probably gonna stay in Box 2 until I'm done with Awakening (unless they release Battle Frontier DLC before then).

So if there's another OC game, how are you gonna talk to your buddies?

Skype and/or SF PM I imagine. Although, if there's another OC game I will have probably checked it and thus not play.

Kaoz, have you read Snow Crash? If not, why haven't you?

I haven't. Probably because I've never even heard of it. Probably also because I'm not a very avid reader.

also what is your preferred method of dealing with lurking scum*

assuming you can't vig them all

*including town-aligned lurking scum

Inspecting them sounds like a good plan for starters.

When are we gonna finish Duels on Motorcycles, and what about Tag Force?

Rate your Top three mafia games. I'd like to read some backlogged games, and would trust your suggestions.

What's your preferred playercount/phasetime for a game?

When are we gonna finish Duels on Motorcycles, and what about Tag Force?

1) When you bug me long enough about it.

2) Probably when I feel like playing Tag Force again.

Rate your Top three mafia games. I'd like to read some backlogged games, and would trust your suggestions.

This is not a particularly good idea since I haven't read all that many games I wasn't in and my memory isn't the best either, but if you insist: Duel Terminal 2 Mafia, Serenes Forest Mafia Mafia, Prince of Tennis Mafia. Tried to pick from the older ones since you were around for the newer games yourself.

What's your preferred playercount/phasetime for a game?

Don't really have a preferred number of players, it kind of depends on the people involved. Maybe around 14. As for phase times, 48/24 for NOC and 48/48 for OC.

Edited by Kaoz

1) When you bug me long enough about it.

2) Probably when I feel like playing Tag Force again.

This is not a particularly good idea since I haven't read all that many games I wasn't in and my memory isn't the best either, but if you insist: Duel Terminal 2 Mafia, Serenes Forest Mafia Mafia, Prince of Tennis Mafia. Tried to pick from the older ones since you were around for the newer games yourself.

Don't really have a preferred number of players, it kind of depends on the people involved. Maybe around 14. As for phase times, 48/24 for NOC and 48/48 for OC.

fwiw I was more going for your top3 games as in, the three games that you feel you performed best in.

botherbotherbotherDuelsOnMotorcyclesbotherbotherbother

Skype and/or SF PM I imagine. Although, if there's another OC game I will have probably checked it and thus not play.

*cough*

Also Golden Sun Mafia best mafia.

What gets you frustrated when playing or hosting mafia?

*cough*

Disclaimer: I might not play anyway depending on other factors. Unless I was supposed to check something from you and forgot about it?

What gets you frustrated when playing or hosting mafia?

Playing: If the game has a lot of posts, especially if they're long and badly formatted.

Hosting: Can't think of anything really.

Are you a fan of new and unique roles or do you prefer to go with the standard ones?

Leaning towards new ones. They should still be kept rather simple though, so oftentimes a variation of a standard role is a good compromise.

What's your favorite role you ever designed and why is it Snake from SSBU

It's Snake from SSBU because he incorporates pretty much everything I've talked about previously in this regard. Snake nicely utilized the game's gimmick to add a bit of a twist to a normal role while also being able to combine with The President for greater effect.

That said, it's actually a role that hasn't appeared in a game yet, but might at some point, so I can't really talk about it.

manaphy tho

Let's not talk about this one.