Realm of Mirrors - Game Over

Grace

Wait, I was right about Scum(ITP techincally, but similar enough TBH)!Quote! In addition, I thought I read players' posts better than my other games. I guess this means I'm improving. That's good~

I'm willing to not bring it up again unless he starts engaging in that behavior again. However, since he seemed to care about how he was being viewed, I feel that saying it once is fair enough. Also, harsh as what I said may have sounded, I was expecting to not enjoy playing with him and I was pleasantly surprised that his actual conduct didn't bother me (whatever happened on D3 was just poor play, not poor behavior).

Yeah, I think this is fair. I just didn't want another crazy argument to spring up like

wait that doesn't exist nevermind

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITP's don't play like traditional scum do, though (case in point: I know Bizz would never react like they did if they were mafia). Yeah, ITP's have their own tells (to be fair, there is SOME overlap w/traditional scum tells) but generally if you're reading an ITP as scum or scum as ITP, you probably fucked up somewhere.

If I had actually thought for a second, I probably would have noticed SB's fakeclaim. Of course, that's probably hindsight bias more than anything.

Overall, I did have fun. It was a learning first experience and I'll ruminate in the terms until later

this entire topic I looked up "insert term or abbreviation here mafia" on google so much that hopefully the government doesn't think I'm actually mafia

ITP's don't play like traditional scum do, though (case in point: I know Bizz would never react like they did if they were mafia). Yeah, ITP's have their own tells (to be fair, there is SOME overlap w/traditional scum tells) but generally if you're reading an ITP as scum or scum as ITP, you probably fucked up somewhere.

darn, lol

I get an A for effort at least, once I actually posted stuff I tried hard to read

so improvement still happened (I think)

that bus wasn't intentional but it sure worked out for us (almost)!

I was right with Quote/Refa sorta, too bad I succumbed to the tendency of "oh it's close to deadline what is my best townie play supposed to be" and then messing up there. I would've pushed onto Quote more at end of d1 but I didn't want to be mean lmao cause I felt like I basically made him sub out so I was like "yeah I guess I'll vote junko". I'm glad ITP won over town though!

casing people was legitimately hard, I never had a problem before. so most of my content came from not knowing what to talk about and it looked very superficial because anything else would be blatant bs

^^I can't speak for everyone but generally you have a better grasp on how to case people as scum after you've played a few town games recently. I dunno about your prior experience but you've only rolled scum so far on SF! Also yeah, that was a pretty swank bus (the fact that it was unintentional was probably what helped it to be all the more believable).

I wasn't around when you were playing, Clarinets, so I can't say whether or not you improved.

yo Ocean don't feel bad, I'm getting to the point I can't really handle playing mafia anymore and it sucks because I miss playing it but I don't know if I should keep trying to since this just happens. it's even harder with new people because SFers give me a pass for my playstyle usually (which is always pretty erratic & shit D1 but lately it's been shitter, with my occasional good game) but new people don't know how I play and just assume my play is coming from clumsy scum.

and I can't really handle being cased because all of my energy goes to defending myself and when people don't listen it sets off some Bad Things and I don't want these Bad Things to leak into a silly forum game so I end up posting less and less.

I'm miffed at Freyja for calling me inexperienced though

Edited by Quote

oh yeah, but about my play

my self-survival thing was me trying to emulate my town meta which admittedly was kinda stupid I realize. although yeah I didn't feel like being lynched D1 as my favorite role, that would have been Lifetime In The Shame Cube for me and I take that a bit too seriously whoops.

and my self-meta was me kinda giving up, I didn't know what else to post because I was falling behind and having personal mental health issues and as I stated before I don't want those leaking into the game anymore.

Edited by Quote

I'm attempting to improve both as a poster and a player. You could at least grant me that by not dredging what happened in that topic up though. It's over and I've learned from it.

Time for some advice~!

As town, you know your own role PM. That's it. You have no idea what else exists beyond that. The majority of the game should be in the same boat as you. Thus, if you're on the chopping block, the best thing you can do is to provide as much reads, logic, and casing as possible, so once you do flip, your corpse will be able to guide others. If they don't take your advice, that's their fault for not reading backwards. You can't play if you're dead, BUT you don't need to be alive for your faction to win. Yes, it sucks being the mislynch. Thus, make sure that it's a productive mislynch, one that the town can get lots of associative reads off of.

I wanna see if you can implement this mindset in the next game you play. :):

Addendum to the eclipse's post. The town isn't better off by you being dead than any other realistic lynch target, so don't offer yourself to get lynched or something like that. The point is that you produce as much meaningful content while you're alive as you can and don't try to confuse your fellow townies as that's a net detriment for you as well.

@Baldrick

Games specifically for new players aren't a bad idea, but unfortunately we don't have the manpower for them. If there happens to be a sudden influx of new players at some point, it's definitely something to keep in mind though.

It was SB and Refa, ragebiscuits.

Via, your play reminded me massively of that game (which I can't remember the name of) where my role was ITP-remover. I kinda wish I'd followed up my read of you, but Refa was too bro to spot. But yeah, non-town played pretty well and had SHIN fooled.

well that's kinda how I play as town lately too, I've been really demotivated and I'm getting scumread as town more often and it's getting me kinda down more than it should so I don't really know if I should try to keep playing or what.

insert salt about that game here I don't really want to talk about it.

Edited by Quote

This reminds of the game where almost no one thought Excellen was scum except for like Balzerzak and eclipse who thought he was mafia for some reason, the latter who vigged him almost out of nowhere and Excellen turned out to be ITP related to the wincon for the other hidden ITP Haze who subsequenctly lost immediately.

tl;dr eclipse thought she shot mafia but got rid of two ITPs instead

This reminds of the game where almost no one thought Excellen was scum except for like Balzerzak and eclipse who thought he was mafia for some reason, the latter who vigged him almost out of nowhere and Excellen turned out to be ITP related to the wincon for the other hidden ITP Haze who subsequenctly lost immediately.

good old sfmm3

Excellen wasn't ITP; only Haze was ITP in that game.

Also I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought Excellen was scummy; I think he was a top-3 scumread in the thread and my #2 scumread after Elie IIRC.