FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

Oh, hello there Serenes Forest! I didn't see you there. Why don't you take off your coat and take a seat while I get you a cup of tea. The weather is awfully dreadful today. Why, the last time it was raining this hard I remember seeing trees knocked down by lightning! Certainly no weather for ordinary folk like you to be caught in. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, come in, come in! There's a warm seat waiting for you right by the fireplace. I'll have my butler Jeeves fetch the tea for us. What kind do you prefer? I've got some Earl Grey and Darjeeling. Or perhaps you would prefer something more oriental?

Not in the mood for a drink? I see. Well then, what about snacks? Jeeves bakes fantastic biscuits. Isn't that right Jeeves? The ones you made last week were positively scrumptious. In fact, if I recall correctly they sold out at the last bake sale! Excellent work. Perhaps in another life you'd do very well as a baker. Oh, don't be so modest! Your skills in the kitchen exceed most desserts I've had outside the mansion. In fact, I will have you cater the desserts for our next event. How do you feel about chocolate? What's that? Our guest? Right, right! What do *you* think about chocolate?

Interesting, very interesting. Perhaps Jeeves will pay heed to your suggestions. nonetheless, I hope I haven't been keeping you waiting for too long. I have this tendency to ramble on and on with my guests sometimes. So, what brings you here? A... hack topic, you say? You mean like those sprawling novels from the library? Elibian Nights, Dream of Five... I have to confess, I've yet to reach the halfway point with those. I'm sure they're very exciting, but I've never been the most attentive reader. Well, hopefully one day I will finish them. In any case, I don't recall having any hack topics in my personal library. Jeeves, do you have any idea why this young fellow would come here looking for one of these hack topics? You say I made an announcement? Are you sure? I think I would remember such a thing. I'll ask our guest. What exactly made you think there would be a... hack topic here?

Hmm... If you say so! Anyway... like you've surmised, I have been working on a hack! You'll have to understand I am a bit hesistant to show it in its current state. I'm sure you'd get a hearty laugh at how shoddily put together it is right now. But, since you came all the way here I suppose there is no harm in showing it. The title? Well, that isn't something I should be thinking about for a while now, but if you must have an answer... Between you and me, I've had "Fire Emblem IV" on the mind. Oh, the meaning of IV? Of course, it's the roman numeral for 4! A clever jest, if you ask me! I hope the joke is not lost on you.

Yes, that's correct! It's most definitely a reference to the old classic, Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War. A tragic tale. Oh, are you curious about my reasons? To be frank, although this classic is a moving tale, the gameplay is a bit... shall we say lacking? I'm sure you yourself have some criticisms to levy with it. I have my own as well. Listing them all would be an unnecessary waste of time at the moment, so allow me to reassure you that they will become clear as more progress is made.

Curious about my plans, you ask? Well, I suppose I can let a tiny bit out for now. Certainly, the major aspects that make Fire Emblem 4 a unique experience in its series will return. The generation system is simply brilliant! The ability to decide the fate of your soldiers from the first generation and guide their children in the second? Truly a romantic idea! Of course, what elevates it is its impact on the gameplay. Inheriting everything from your parents, for better or for worse and reviving old bloodlines!

What else, you ask? Well, one can't speak about Fire Emblem 4 without at least a passing mention of skills! Yes, skills are certainly an element that keeps things fresh in every title they've appeared in. Still, I must profess I am not fond of many of them. I'll certainly be making an effort to make them more interesting and worthwhile to use, but I'm afraid I can't say more at the moment! I hope you understand.

Oh, are you worried about how I will get the resources needed to polish this? I'm flattered by your concern, but I would not worry for now. After all, we are still very much in the planning stages and I must still work on some basic foundations before anything can be said or done with the glamour of graphics, or the melody of music. If it will relieve some of your concern, Jeeves has been purchasing a... large quantity of simians from various zoos and training them to be adept with typewriters. Even as we speak they are hard at work producing the next great work of Shakespeare. Not that I need that of course. Oh, don't worry! They're treated humanely. We give them more than enough rest and feed them only the highest quality and healthiest food we can procure. No, what you should be pitying are the people who have to keeping the typewriter room clean. It's certainly not a pretty sight. Well, it seems to be getting late outside. Do you have any more questions?

Pictures? Oh.... I haven't gotten any yet. Jeeves! Fetch the camera! Like I mentioned, this little project is still in its infancy stages, so I hope you understand these may not be fully representative of the final product. Well, if you have any other questions do feel free to come by again. I pray the weather will be more amicable on your next visit! Perhaps I shall have Jeeves bake us a cake.

ubcobCg.pngrEIKVU1.png1tf5H4y.png

h3LVvHy.png4lg41m2.pngRBHYGa4.png

Edited by BoxMulder

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're called "Legion" now, Astel. Get wit da times. TRLEGIONLEGIONLEGIONLEGION.

Edited by Archiblad

Oh! Good morning, Serenes Forest. I didn't expect you back so soon! Come in and take a seat. Perhaps I could indulge you in some tea today? Excellent. Jeeves! Bring out the tableware! Now tea... tea is simply something one cannot do without during a conversation. It both invigorates the spirit and releases the tensions from the stress of our daily routines. Wouldn't you agree? Yet, one cannot have some tea without some sweets. Yes, the harmony that can arise between a well chosen pair of sweets and tea is certainly something to write home about. I believe Jeeves made some beignets today. Jeeves! Is that correct? Yes, it appears so! Well, would you like to have some beignets?

I see! Well, feel free to take some from the plate if you have a craving. Now, I must admit you've caught me an an interesting time. For some odd reason I've been receiving an abnormal amount of mail today! If I were a detective I would put on my thinking cap and get to solving it. Alas, I must be content with simply reading it. Would you like to have a look?

I see, I see. You also present an interesting hypothesis. Perhaps my announcement of my hack has attracted the attention of a few inquisitive individuals. Well, we'll find out when we read our mail, won't we! Let's have a look. Jeeves! The letter opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSampl8EkIA

Hey man there's already an FE4 remake. Gen I was finished two April Fool'ses ago.

Very interesting! I was not aware that we had the technology to add videos to an old fashioned letter. Your skill is certainly admirable. It's good to know there are fellows who are as enthusiastic as I am in the endeavour that is hacking. Still, I can't help but notice you mentioned that only half the game has been completed. What happened to the other half? Dear guest, what are your thoughts?

Hmm... you believe that the project simply stopped at that point? Giving the amount of time that has passed that seems like a reasonable conjecture. Well, I should let you know that I plan on including the second generation in my project, as well as the first! After all, what point is there to remaking Fire Emblem 4 if we cannot even replicate its most memorable feature? Hopefully you will agree with my sentiment. Very well, let's look at our next letter.

Patch would help too |D

sigurd has darker hair

This gentleman seems to have some trouble with their orthography. Tell me, do you recognize what this vertical bar with a D means? I would presume it is some sort of "internet" variant of id, but I'm not sure what psychology has to do with hacking. Perhaps I should schedule a meeting with a scholar on the subject. We have some fine universities in the city, as I'm sure you're aware! What's that Jeeves? Right, the letter! This gentleman appears to want a patch. Well, as much as I'd like to release a patch, it would hardly be interesting do to so without having the necessary framework in place. Some acquaintances of mine demanded that I start adding skills for their pleasure! Unfortunately, it is not currently my highest priority. My current workload is to finish Chapter 1's events, and then start designing Chapter 2. Still, if people are content with having a patch that only features gameplay I suppose I could indulge them once I finish Chapter 1.

What happens in Chapter 2, you ask? Ah, an excellent question! If you recall, Chapter 1 in Fire Emblem 4 features 3 major battles. The taking of Genoa and the recruitment of Isaac's finest lady, Ayra, the daring escape of Marpha of Dew and Edain, and the showdown with Batou, the king of Verdane himself! Chapter 2 will be covering the escape of Marpha. Now, Fire Emblem 4 is certainly lacking in indoors maps, so I think it'll be a nice diversion to make this one an indoors escape. What do you think?

Yes, I see your points. I'll certainly take it into consideration. I'll let you in on another secret of mine: I plan on including a special weapon in this chapter for Dew. I believe in the original game it is called the Thief sword. But before you berate me for my stupidity, allow me to say that this weapon will behave differently from its old fashioned counterpart. What does it do? Well... it is a sword for Thieves. Perhaps they can use it to steal things while fighting...? I think you'll enjoying speculating on its true nature until it is ready to be revealed. What's that Jeeves? The time? Oh my! I'm sorry for keeping you up so late. There's still one more letter to read. Would you like to stay for this one?

Excellent!

I didn't read a word of that. I just saw Seph saying April Fools and said "k".

Less wordy next time. More pictures.

You'll have to excuse my wordiness, but it is in my nature! Dear guest, have I told you of the time I wrote an essay on the variety of cakes that have existed throughout civilization? It was for a honours course called "History of Baking". Suffice it to say, I was glad to have submitted that one early. It took a whole month before the instructor was able to grade it! Thankfully it seems that the fellow enjoyed reading it since I have my diploma in Bakology framed over my desk. Oh, I'm rambling again, aren't I? Well, I suppose I should give you some thanks for keeping me company so late in the evening. Perhaps some pictures of my latest addition will suffice. Jeeves! Oh, I see you have the camera ready. Perfect! To be honest, I'd love to take more pictures, but film is so prohibitively expensive these days. I hope these two will satiate your curiosity for the night.

FT6ffFv.png5CnnSSg.png

Edited by BoxMulder

You'll have to excuse my wordiness, but it is in my nature!

And it's fucking irritating. Get to the bloody point. What are you actually offering to make this a halfway decent reboot of FE4?

A page for skills/holy blood? lol?

-shrug- Reminds me of that one other hack with the halfbody portraits and all that, that added another page for skills. (What happened to that? Did he lose his data or something?)

Edited by L95

This guy's either fuckin' around hardcore, batshit crazy, or really into hard drugs. I hope it's the first, but the second is cool too. Or hell, I'm cool with the third. Whatever floats his boat.

I'mma just sit back and sip my tea and watch it all unfold. Keep the "letters" coming!

Edited by Archiblad