Rate the Unit, Day 16: Volke

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.154

Shinon: 3

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Mist: 6.413

Mordecai: 6.547

Lethe: 6.75

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

Because for some reason, we haven't moved on to the next day.

Edit: I've tallied up Mordecai's scores and added them to the averages thread. Now ... I'm only going to put up PoR's "rate the unit" threads until PKL comes back. But I'd request that you guys bold your scores, or at least make them noticeable. And if you guys have to post walls of text debating against one another ... please take it to the PMs. It took me longer than it should've tallying up Mordecai's scores because at least 1/3 of the posts there were huge debates and not scores.

Edited by Jihyun

PROS:

-good bases

-good growths

-steals stuff and opens doors/chests

CONS:

-knives suck

-supports only Bastion, who sucks

Volke is the better of 2 thieves. Their combat is TERRIBLE, but thief utility is not. Even though most of the Important Treasure can be obtained with the Chest Keys you get in the game, thieves can steal very useful weapons and items. Most notably Pysic Staves. Thieves are also nearly necessary for getting treasure in the desert.

4.5/10 - If you are in need of a thief's services use Volke. He will get the job done... for a price.

I want to point out that debates aren't exactly unhealthy on a rating thread. Quite the contrary, it could help throw out terrible votes (like any of Snowy's should just be excluded....). We're also rating a thief next, which is going to throw a lot into the water.

I actually do agree that people should bold their votes (the final score). This way, it should be easier to find instead of forcing to skim through a debate post to see what's up. And put it at either the beginning or the very end of the posts.

I want to point out that debates aren't exactly unhealthy on a rating thread. Quite the contrary, it could help throw out terrible votes (like any of Snowy's should just be excluded....). We're also rating a thief next, which is going to throw a lot into the water.

I actually do agree that people should bold their votes (the final score). This way, it should be easier to find instead of forcing to skim through a debate post to see what's up. And put it at either the beginning or the very end of the posts.

I'm not disagreeing with having debates in the rating thread, they are quite productive. I'm just saying that they kind of make it a pain to count up scores, especially since not everyone makes their votes all that noticeable. Plus ... the debate on Mordecai kind of went off into Mia and Ilyana territory and discussed their merits. If the debate looks like it's going to veer slightly off-topic, perhaps a PM would be better so it doesn't clog up the rating thread and make it annoying for the person counting up votes?

His combat doesn't really matter because he's a thief, not that his strength is bad or anything, it's just knives are terrible in this game. Even at base level he can steal a pretty good selection of items, most notably Physic staves, and to a lesser extent Meteor and Bolting tomes. He obviously has basic thief utility going for him as well.

6.5/10

So... Volke. He actually has a good Strength base and growth. Unfortunately, the Strength cap for Assassins is low- if you actually train him, he'll ram it hard. Additionally, knives are quite weak. He also only has 1 support, with Bastian. Even disregarding Bastian's fault, accuracy is not really what Volke wants, although the avoid is okay. So his combat is pretty sucky.

However, combat is not why we bring Volke along. There are a lot of Physic staves that he can steal, and Physic is awesome, especially in a game with Canto. Unfortunately, Chest Keys are dropped rather frequently, so opening Chests is not too big a point. However, your other guys probably have better stuff to do, so it's still useful. And 100% items in the Desert chapter is nice. There are a lot of items in FE9's desert. He also makes a pacifist clear of Chapter 10 considerably easier, because breaking the doors is dumb and will probably make it harder to avoid the patrol. So overall I think Volke is worth a solid 6/10. Mainly for Physic.

3.5/10

knives are horrible, can't offset his bad str

his bases are great, but they can't offset his general frailty and bad weapons

but he can steal I guess? you don't need much treasure (ok well there's this thing called the Full Guard I guess...) or physic staffs in this game, so I don't see much point in having him, he's just sorta there in case you need him.

So... Volke. He actually has a good Strength base and growth. Unfortunately, the Strength cap for Assassins is low- if you actually train him, he'll ram it hard. Additionally, knives are quite weak. He also only has 1 support, with Bastian. Even disregarding Bastian's fault, accuracy is not really what Volke wants, although the avoid is okay. So his combat is pretty sucky.

However, combat is not why we bring Volke along. There are a lot of Physic staves that he can steal, and Physic is awesome, especially in a game with Canto. Unfortunately, Chest Keys are dropped rather frequently, so opening Chests is not too big a point. However, your other guys probably have better stuff to do, so it's still useful. And 100% items in the Desert chapter is nice. There are a lot of items in FE9's desert. He also makes a pacifist clear of Chapter 10 considerably easier, because breaking the doors is dumb and will probably make it harder to avoid the patrol. So overall I think Volke is worth a solid 6/10. Mainly for Physic.

This. Psychic is so useful, especially when your mounts are so far ahead of everyone else.

But I'd request that you guys bold your scores, or at least make them noticeable

Mine should be easy to find either way. They are always at the bottom.

Volke, the Fireman, the guy Greil hired to do some really nasty dirty work. Doesnt like large groups.

Pros:

Omg thief utility.

Good base level.

Auto promotion.

Cons:

Knives smell.

Defense is a bit in the shitter.

Charges for locks being picked.

Volke is a pretty cool guy. Hes got some funny lines and knows some epic backstory on Greil. He can steal junk and pilfer chests to get some nice swag. Like Physics, that Bolting, that Full Guard...yeah. When all your guys are too busy murdering, Volke can sneak past and just rob junk. His mastery upon promotion with the Occult scroll is kinda neat, but not really worth using a scroll on. Because Volke isnt about combat. He may not level at all during any given run. He does charge for his pillaging but since money isnt that big of an issue, its no problem. (hence the strike out.) I find Volke to be pretty damn useful and on maps with chests, he gets deployed. Yeah. (plus he helps find that cool swag in the desert)

6/10 7/10 bias because i dig him.

4/10

Nyugggg... It's difficult to rate Volke. On the one hand, he steals a lot of good stuff and he opens doors without needing to bash them down, not to mention chests. Even if you follow the notion you have enough chest keys in the game to not need a thief there is no denying he's useful still for opening the chests. On the other, aside from opening chests, he's useless. His combat is weak and the only good thing about him is lethality, but I don't think any sane person would spend a scroll to get the skill, especially since when it fails to activate he almost certainly won't ORKO or even deal a large amount of damage thanks to knives being sucky.

*sigh* At best, I would give him a 6 because the items he steals are valuable and useful, especially if you don't want to play 'only open exactly what you need' with the keys. At worst I would give him a 1 if I had to use him for combat abilities alone since he's pretty useless there (I only give out 0/10's in VERY special situations). That would give him something like a 3.5 average, but... Ehhh.. What the heck. I'll make it 4 just because.

4.5/10. Rating him is actually quite hard, tbh... On the one hand, he can steal weapons and he can open chests, in addition to not needing to spend weapon uses busting down doors. On the other hand, though, his combat's pretty bad, and being stuck with knives doesn't help.

Edited by Metal King Slime

The Mordecai / Ilyana / Mia was more or less pointing hypocrisy in Snowy's ratings. Well, my opinion I guess. Some may disagree.

Anyway, Volke's stats seem good up until you realize he uses the shittiest weapon type in the game. Apparently Stiletto is effective against Armor Knights, but too bad that it comes late! He swipes some items to help you out and gets the desert treasure. Otherwise... his use is purely utility to stealing. For 100 Gold.

3.5/10. Maybe 4 tops.

Edited by Colonel M

All said above and that he's an Assassin. =D Charging 50G per lock and 100G to eat with someone makes him the most epic Thief/Assassin in the series. Though Jaffar also comes close. I suppose forged Knives will bring out the best in him. Thief utility, etc. And can Class change, unlike Sothe. The best part is...he can steal even in his assassin class. ^-^

NM

5.5/10

HM

5/10

volke.jpg

He take my money when I'm in need. :(

Underwhelming combat, but thief utility is okay (but not great) in PoR. I like having him handy for the ship mission just to marginalize the crows, and the occasional staff pick or the one or two boosters he can grab, but other than that? Eh.

4.5/10

You don't really need to worry about money in this game. It's 50 gold per chest, which you should have, and Volke can at least hold his own in combat.

But he has lolfe9knives, so yeah.

5.5/10

lolmoney in FE9. The game gives you like 10x more gold than you need for free. Seriously, the first time I played the game I thought there was some trick to it and I used barely enough of the money.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edited by BigBangMeteor

One time I ran out of money for him to open a door. I'm not even kidding.

:blink: Had you forged a Wind or Light tome? That's the only way I've found to run out of money past C9. I suppose it's possible to run out of money in C14, but there aren't any chests or doors there.