FE9 Cutscene Voice Acting

Seriously. There's something in BOTH of them that makes me laugh. Btw, that video thumbnail is the best.

"OYAJIIIIII, STAY BAAAAACK!!"

"DON'T LEAAAVE MEEEEEE!" gets an honorable mention as well.

Pick your FE9 voice acting meme.

Let the sub vs. dub war begin anew.

But no, seriously... my only problem with the English one is the Black Knight's muffled voice. How the HELL did Greil recognize his voice? I couldn't even understand him fully without turning up the volume on high the first time I saw this when new to the game.

I know people say that it makes him sound more "demonic/ominous/evil" and that makes them like it... but it just bothers the hell out of me.

English Ike's "DON'T LEAVE ME!" made me CRINGE hard... but it's too funny to hate.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, subtitling is fun.

Considering I did it for 4/6 cutscenes in PoR...blah, anyways.

I personally like "Come on boy, come try me!" the best.

Ike in Japanese is alright but nothing groundbreaking, the Black Knight sounds really young for how big he is and it's kind of unfitting, but Ike sounds completely derp in English, and BK's English voice has too much distortion in English to the point where it doesn't make sense that Greil recognises his voice. I don't even think Zelgius HAS the same voice in RD, where it's cartoonishly deep.

I think Greil is fine in both languages. I like the English version slightly more despite some weird dub-induced pauses in dialogue ("But I.... threw it away" doesn't really have a good rhythm to it), but I think the voice is plenty fitting. Overall, the voice acting in both PoR and RD in English was not that good, but it's so sparse I didn't really care. The worst part about the cutscenes is how QUIET the volume is, and how much you have to crank up the TV to even hear anything.

Oh, and they did get the same actor who voiced Ike in PoR do reprise his Brawl role... I don't think anything tops "I fight for my friends" as far as Ike memes go.

Oh, and they did get the same actor who voiced Ike in PoR do reprise his Brawl role... I don't think anything tops "I fight for my friends" as far as Ike memes go.

Well despite everything, I think we can all agree that no matter what, Fire Emblem Tellius is a great Youtube poop source as Ike-Mike stated. XD

I always rofl @ Ike saying Dont leave me! Fatheeeeeeeeer. xD. I find the BK's voice much much much better in japanese. Greil's voice is better in english. Ike's english voice is just NO. Ill take jap ike over english.

Ike in Japanese is alright but nothing groundbreaking, the Black Knight sounds really young for how big he is and it's kind of unfitting, but Ike sounds completely derp in English, and BK's English voice has too much distortion in English to the point where it doesn't make sense that Greil recognises his voice. I don't even think Zelgius HAS the same voice in RD, where it's cartoonishly deep.

I would say that Greil should have no problem recognizing a voice like that. The way I see it, the problem is more that Ike should have recognized the voice when he meet him without the disguise.

And then of course he suddenly has a normal human voice in RD. Hurray for consistency!

I probably should not be upset about them fixing past localization mistakes but it just makes it all the more obvious that back then they just cared about "making it cool" with zero regard about actually making sense.

I so hate that attitude. Why would I care about the stuff on the screen when it's just a bunch of nonsense? And a demon voice on a normal human is not cool. It's just plain dumb.

...I wish the Black Knight would get a line or two in Radiant Dawn. It would be easier to accept it as an actual fix rather then them deciding not to use the same style of voice, since it wouldn't be "cool" anymore.

Edited by BrightBow

Ehh

I'm not one to pick on voice acting that much really

But Mist

Ohhhhhh Mist

I never really liked her voice acting at all >~<

But yeah I wasn't too fond of Rolf's and Shinon's voice acting in that cutscene either... But Mists's voice....... hers completely changed too, but her voice got squeakier over all that time. XD

FE9 didnt really have bad voice acting to be honest. Some was...odd but most of it was Ike's doing.

"The lord of the forest.....is...returned." da fuck?

"DONT LEAVE ME!!!" narmtastic.

And his grunting in the opening movie.

Mist's voice in FE9 wasnt so bad. In FE10 they...destroyed her. GAHGHHH!!!

Rolf's voice in FE10 is abysmal. Shinon's was good though. It suited him!

Im actually very glad Soren didnt get a voice. I would have probably raged. Especially since i imagine him with a low snarky british accent.

Dont get me started on Mia. dueagh.

Edited by Jon Snow

"The lord of the forest.....is...returned." da fuck?

Mist's voice in FE9 wasnt so bad. In FE10 they...destroyed her. GAHGHHH!!!

Shinon's was good though. It suited him!

Yeah that one was pretty... awkward I guess XD

Agh the parts on Mist that bugged me in FE9 were "'Bout time!" and "It's incredible!!" And yes the FE10 was definitely worse x3

Yeah I think it suits him but it just didn't sound right imo

Oh yeah Mia forgot about her XD

Rolf's voice in FE10 is abysmal.

The fun part is when you realize that Rolf and Mia were both voiced by Lani Minella. ;P

Yeah, the voice acting for FE9/10 was pretty terribad and narmy. Mist was by far the worst offender to me, especially since I actually like the girl. :/

I hated the voice acting in both games. I've said it before and I'll say it again - American accents and historic-style fantasy simply don't work, and it always ends up sounding awful, FE9/FE10 being no exception. It's like making a chocolate cake but realising you're out of chocolate, so instead you subtitute the chocolate with poo. I mean...can you imagine Lord of the Rings with American accents?

Not that I have anything against American accents, okay? They're just fine under most circumstances...just keep them out of fantasy please.

Ignoring the accents, in FE9 I thought Greil was okay, Elincia just about bearable (I was more preoccuppied with her boobs if I remember correctly). Ike's voice actor sounded as if he'd had his nuts tugged viciously just before he entered the studio. Mist made me feel ill. The Black Knight sounded like a constipated robot.

In FE10, the narrative voice overs before most chapters would have been okay if they had not been used so frequently...exactly what was wrong with the silent text based ones from FE9 that made IS hire a voice actor to narrate I honestly don't know. Ike was slightly better but still pretty terrible. Skrimir was okay, Shinon was okay. Ranulf sounded like he had a very bad cold. Zelgius sounded like a bad cartoon villain. Rolf, Mia and Mist were atrocious. Boyd's battle grunts sounded like they were recorded by a ten year-old kid playing fantasy warriors by himself out his back garden. The memory scene voice actors were okay, except for Deghinsea whose voice actor sounded as if he was trying to force it.

In FE10, the narrative voice overs before most chapters would have been okay if they had not been used so frequently...exactly what was wrong with the silent text?

I for one absolutely loved the English World Map Narrator. That's a rare thing for me. I especially liked the part ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF DRAGONBALL Z previews.

Heehee that narrator really confuzzled me when he said "Sair-uh-nez" (or I guess it's not quite like "sair" but more like an e sound) and I was wondering what that was then I think I probably knew when he said "Forest" XD

But that does kinda make more sense than it being the word Serene with an s on the end of it x3

Edited by Freohr Datia

I liked the voice acting in both Tellius games. :/

I'm not saying I think it's the greatest set of voices ever, but still. The BK's voice in PoR is epic, and Shinon and Ranulf's voices in RD were awesome as well. Jason Adkins did the best job, though, imo. He voiced Ike throughout all the games he appeared in, and I think he did best with RD. That voice was just...so fitting for him!

I like "ANSWER ME!" in RD best. :D

Then, "You've done such an amazing job... And I think you...always will..." from PoR.

Jason clearly improved his skills over time, if you ask me. But yeah, for memes, nothing beats "I fight for my friends" and "You'll get no sympathy from me!" lol.

Also, I never saw much of the Japanese voices, but I remember Ike's sounding a lot like Link from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I didn't like that.

Edited by Anacybele

...Is that a sword at Tibarn's belt? Or is it a dagger? Either way, I never noticed that before. lol I wonder what he uses it for.

Anyway, my favorite line not belonging to Ike is Ranulf's when he confronts Zelgius.

"Well, well... Sorry to drop in unannounced. But we like to go after the strongest prey first."

Probably didn't remember all the words correctly. But his tone of voice here is just amazing. His other line of "I'm Ranulf. Right hand to Gallia's future king. Will that do?" is cool too though. :D

And I thought Rolf's voice was cute... Mist's was too high, imo.

Edited by Anacybele