Visual Boy Advance freezing when recording?

Espinosa

I've just started getting these issues since moving to a newer computer so I wonder if anyone knows what it's all about and what the solution could be.

Initially, since my HDs were called something else, I moved the files to another folder, which caused the emulator to forget where its files are and where the memory is, etc. It also seems like I was using the emulator, located on one HD, to run ROMs located on another HD, so I simply moved the emulator itself to the same HD/folder where I keep all the ROMs. That worked fine for a while, letting me continue using all my old saves, but not until I started recording:

2cnxojc.jpg

This is what the error message looks like. It's repeated every time I try to start recording the AVI file. I'm prompted to save the file in a folder called 'avi', but the result is all the same if I manually choose the 'Movies' folder that I used to record into for years before this.

So idk... Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

I faced a similar issue with the RNGdisplay lua script, if a game was loaded and I opened the script, the emulator sometimes (?) freezed. Loading the lua script before the game solved the problem. That only occurred to me with roms outside of the folder with the emulator iirc (note that I didn't experiment with it, just saw it happen).

Did you try to redownload the emulator on your new PC and put the sav files and roms into its folder?

All the files are working fine. I'd revised my strategy and completed the chapter, and it's the recording stage where I started having problems that I'm still unable to resolve (I can't get the actual AVI recording to even start).

I haven't tried a "new" (the last one is from 2013) build of VBA-rerecording yet, though I remember compatibility being a problem between versions (i.e. you can't import saves/states from a different version, or at least I once failed to do so when returning from VBA-rr to a regular, older VBA).

My suspicion is that my computer isn't supporting... something, something that's related to starting the AVI recording process, though I've no idea what it could be. Perhaps some driver of some sort? Not a clue.

Thanks for trying to help out! I guess trying out to import everything with a different VBA could be tried.

Though it's a VERY long shot, see if the Event Viewer has any details. It'll be under the Applications section.

What do I look for there exactly?

Also, I downloaded another version of VBA-rerecording, and it gives me the same crash message when I start recording AVI. Hmm....

Right-click Computer (assuming it's on your Desktop), click on Manage, click on Event Viewer, go get something to eat.

If you're on Windows 8 or later, type "Event Viewer" into the search bar.

Right-click Computer (assuming it's on your Desktop), click on Manage, click on Event Viewer, go get something to eat.

I mean, I'm there, I don't have any logs I can open and view, it's just open and not doing anything. Am I supposed to view something there or what?

I'm on Windows 7 btw.

It takes A VERY LONG TIME for everything to load. Go read the works of Shakespeare from cover to cover, do a completionist run of a Tales game, or get everyone from PoR maxed out stat-wise in the meantime. . .or get something to eat/drink.

The "clue" you'll get is when you click on it and all hell breaks loose. Unless you didn't get as far as clicking on Event Viewer.

You can attempt to close that window, and type in "Event Viewer" in Windows 7's search bar. It might cut down on the lag a little bit.

n1cuhf.jpg

...this is the message I just got when I tried to run my ROM with a much older version of VBA (not rerecording). I believe I got the same message when I opened VBA-rr again for the first time on the new PC yesterday. Could it be the clue to the AVI recording crash?

I actually got my save (not the states though) to load on the older VBA, and video recording works; however, the slowdown I experience is unbelievable. If what you say is true, maybe the Event Viewer is actually responsible for it? With 8 GB RAM, I couldn't quite tell at first.

Probably not. Mine will also revert (as my copy is super-old). . .but then again, I haven't tried recording anything.

The Event Viewer taking forever and a day is normal. Chances are, this is the first time you've wandered in there, so there's all sorts of messages dating back from when you first turned your computer on.

So I never figured out what Event Viewer is supposed to do...

Anyway, it looks like I'm able to load my save and record AVI on a normal version of VBA; however, it lacks functions such as LUA. Pretty annoying when I want to check the RN state while recording when I LTC.

Jedi's suggestion of using third party recording software (Camtasia for me) is a good one, but leaves me unable to speed up (which I really want to preserve my sanity) while maintaining normal speed of the rendered video, and will look silly if I leave the LUA stuff on.

Googling the error message (if you can even call it that) cited in the OP didn't bring any actual solutions to the problem. I've no idea who would be the right person related to VBA to even know what to do with this? TASers or something (who else uses LUA scripts I mean)? Or maybe it's a problem with my computer settings and whatnot.

I usually just use the lua script for planning, take notes and follow them when recording (if I fail to memorize something anyway), you can probably just keep the rom + files in your regular VBA folder and use rerecording for planning because you don't need chapter saves too strictly for it.

Edited by Gradivus.

Yeah, that would work, except seeing the RN state while recording still offers more advantages than one.

That's probably the best solution other than somehow managing to make the recording work again. I mean, what could be responsible for the failure?

Buncha things. The Event Viewer was a VERY long shot, because when an app crashes, it almost always says something unhelpful.

If you want to get ridiculously low-level, you could download the source and compile it yourself, but that's another can of worms entirely.

I just made it crash with the Event Viewer on. It did absolutely nothing, just like it did when I kept it open for a lengthy time yesterday.

Anyway, it looks like I was wrong that I could import my saves and record in another version of VBA - it either fails to import or it crashes during recording; no other variants.

I'll probably record this one chapter with Camtasia and just move on to recording something other than GBA.