So how's the SMT gaming going?

Back when the news was first announced, most people commenting said that they'd never heard of/vaguely heard of/played 5 minutes of an SMT game.

It's been a few months since then, and I was wondering if anyone has actually been able to play any SMT games since then. As a long time fan of both series, it'd be nice to see new perspectives from those who haven't played the games nearly as much as some other forums I visit.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when the news was first announced, most people commenting said that they'd never heard of/vaguely heard of/played 5 minutes of an SMT game.

It's been a few months since then, and I was wondering if anyone has actually been able to play any SMT games since then. As a long time fan of both series, it'd be nice to see new perspectives from those who haven't played the games nearly as much as some other forums I visit.

I don't count really because I played Devil Survivor, Persona 3 and SMT1 before the crossover was announced but I have been since the crossover was announced playing Persona 1 and SMT2 haha

Persona 2 is weird to say the least. If the game flowed like how I think it would, this game takes the cake for being the most abusable game ever

I have not oppened Soul Hacker after months buying it >_>

Edited by JSND

My bad, I read SMT2 too fast. :P

It's fine haha, I'll be trying out Persona 2 after I finish 1 up. I have to laugh at 1's original translation however, but I do enjoy it. Just not nearly as much as 3

Edited by Jedi

Try SMT 3: Nocturne too. Most of SMT games are old but heck, so does Fire Emblem so the graphic wouldn't be really matter. But the problem is, it's Atlus game and their games, especially older known for.....excessive amount of difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished SMT 1. It was actually pretty easy towards the ending, thanks to the completely broken nerve and later magic bullets, and also how powerful buff spells are. With that combination, I just used auto battle against the last few bosses. The encounter rate can get frustrating though, especialy in some locations where a battle could be triggered again after a single step.

Anyway, before that I also had bought and finished Soul Hackers. I'm now waiting for my copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked and I'm looking forward to SMT IV. I had never looked at the series before the announcement of the crossover, but I love mythology and the concept of the legendary creatures hidden in the modern world, so it just clicked with me very easily.

I've just finished SMT 1. It was actually pretty easy towards the ending, thanks to the completely broken nerve and later magic bullets, and also how powerful buff spells are. With that combination, I just used auto battle against the last few bosses. The encounter rate can get frustrating though, especialy in some locations where a battle could be triggered again after a single step.

Marin karin and the dang Charm status are broken in SMT1 lol. I remember using it on like everything when I got access to it. Made the game like 10x easier, then.. Well I just got alot of good stuff and fusions. Not to mention I got like the most broken Sword ever late game from the Sword Fusion. Hinokagutsuchi, that whole 200 power, plus 1+ to every stat, and the fact that it strikes at least twice per swing. I wrecked the late game

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

I played the first three Shin Megami Tensei games, If... and Strange Journey. I completed them all on their Neutral routes and I found them all amazing. It is a very good series.

Finally started Soul Hackers

> Can't open compendium

> The first Dragon is level 32.

NOOOOOOOO

OTOH the game is extremely generous in term of money >_>

the DS SMT spoiled me too much with its convenient Fusion system

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Dad won't let me preorder SMT 4 . Something about nudity.

Well, many demons lacked cloth, though there is nothing explicit except Mara and goddamned Arioch

I guess you could wait for some years later, and considering SMT IV is released in eShop, so you don't have to worry about availability.

I played SMT 1&2 and it was a pretty damn good. If I couldn't get past a boss/area, then I would save state to a safe place and grind like no tomorrow.

I don't have a PS2 so I couldnt play Nocturne. Luckily, PPSSPP supports Persona 3 Portable, so I'm beating that in anticipation for SMTIV

I picked up SMT IV as part of the Club Nintendo promotion and I'm really, really liking it. It's my first time with the series, but I regret it. I've can tell I've missed out.

My only slight complaint is that even on the easy mode I'm having to grind a little (although it isn't much really). I think my main issue is the amount of running I have to do to get back to the Barracks for healing which makes it take longer than strictly necessary. I'm trying to do challenge quests to break the monotony.

I've heard this is one of the more accessible games of the series though. Is that true?

^ Welcome... to the brotherhood SMT

I've seen that the amount of running to and from the barracks is... 'hefty' in a word

Somewhat true yes, It's more accessible, I've heard the hardest SMTs to get are Nocturne and Digital Devil Sagas 1&2, but they're worth the trouble to get

SMT4 is really front loaded difficulty and you die a lot, but it's so easy to jump back in so it doesn't feel frustrating at all. Even when I die to Blight spam over and over, or a strong enemy I wasn't supposed to fight at that point in time. I really enjoy it. The story is unfolding nicely and I'm really enjoying the game a lot more than I did with Strange Journey. The increased production values help draw me into the story without being a bunch of action setpieces. The interface could be a little smoother but now that I'm unlocking terminals all over the place, navigation is getting to be quite expedient. I'm glad healing at the barracks is free, because macca doesn't flow as freely as the Digital Devil Saga or the Persona games.