Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

General Banzai

So there's been some talk about this, but I (and others) feel that the Thracia English Translation patch is lacking in several ways. For starters, the translation itself is rather poor, riddled with many grammar and spelling errors as well as stilted dialogue. This I don't feel is too big of a problem, and a mere proofread of the existing translation would iron out most of these problems. However, there are also many problems with the patch itself. For instance, there are the well-documented meme jokes that the programmer thought would be a good idea to insert into the script (Kempf says "In America", among others). On top of that most of the menus aren't even translated, so it takes trial and error to figure out the stat screen, options screen, and battle preparations screens. Menus should be the first priority for any translation patch and yet here they are one of the few things not translated.

On top of that the patch is glitchy. Text often jumps around or appears in wrong places; the wrong faces say the wrong things; and mousing the cursor over certain types of enemies can cause the game to crash altogether. The character endings are particularly glitchy.

All these multitudes of problems lead me to believe that the Thracia Translation Patch needs to be remade. When I have brought this up before, some people have stated that the patch is complicated and difficult to modify. If that's the case, perhaps we should make a new one from scratch. We have a very talented group of hackers on this site who have been able to make all sorts of interesting patches and hacks; why can't they dedicate some of their time to a patch that would be widely used and increase the enjoyment of the game for an English audience?

I myself know nothing about hacking, so of course this is all rather easy for me to say. Perhaps some more knowledgeable people could start some discussion on this?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe when the FE12 patch is finished and released, but I don't see to many people caring about the Thracia translation anymore considering the full script is on this site and there being another better menu translation patch.

I'm not speaking for anyone, however, and I could be totally off track on this.

If FEditor could handle thracia text, I'd be able to help out a lot. I wouldn't mind learning a new way to format text, but I cannot help with the actual translation from japanese into english or editing hardcoded things. If I were given a script I could probably do it though.

I don't have the time to volunteer and I'm not sure if the interest is there, but I definitely agree that the Thracia patch could do with a overhaul.

I actually considered redoing the patch myself long ago, but I couldn't do anything without a certain person who completely vanished : (

The menus should be fairly easy, but I could never get my head around repointing data for the dialogue, even after Twilkitri gave me a lecture on it.

If FEditor could handle thracia text, I'd be able to help out a lot. I wouldn't mind learning a new way to format text, but I cannot help with the actual translation from japanese into english or editing hardcoded things. If I were given a script I could probably do it though.

All the dialogue is translated on the site. It could use some cleanup, and there are other necessary things not listed, but I think you could get help with that. I know I'm willing to do anything I can to contribute in that area.

You could always just use atlas (link) if you think you absolutely need a gui program in order to edit the script.

I actually considered redoing the patch myself long ago, but I couldn't do anything without a certain person who completely vanished : (

Do you mean Shaya, or...?

Worse, RPGGuy.

Which means I can't update the FE3 patch ever ;___;

It's okay, Vincent

Just devote your strength into finishing the FE12 patch, and you'll be redeemed!

Maybe when the FE12 patch is finished and released, but I don't see to many people caring about the Thracia translation anymore considering the full script is on this site and there being another better menu translation patch.

I'm not speaking for anyone, however, and I could be totally off track on this.

I assume this can't be used on top of the normal translation patch? I haven't played Thracia yet and was about to start, but half the menus are just horrible, and it would be nice if I could see the stats. I decided for a harder playthrough of shadow dragon first, but I am looking forward to playing Thracia so I would love if anything could be done to make the translation better.

I seem to remember reading about this, but is there really no way to simply patch the patch and just change a few things?

We need a combination of the menu patch and the text patch. That'd be great for everyone and great for the lazy people.

Yes dear god please. I mean I'm definitely in the camp of "Thracias translation patch severely needs to be edited" because it sounds wooden as all hell. But simply having proper menus would be nice to start with.

I always wondered why we can't just clean up the current translation patches menus... if we have a patch that DOES have properly translated menus.

Wouldn't it be as simple as going into the ASM and seeing where the fuck the changes are?! Wait this is ASM and hacking, no it wouldn't be that simple.

---

As for Interest? There's many people I talk too who want to get into the SNES games, who aren't frightened by Thracias difficulty but rather the inability to tell what the fuck is going on. On top of that? this just looks so unprofessional. And saying "Well they can always jump online and read the script here" doesn't mean anything. That's the worst solution in the world "Stop playing, go online, read this part of the script. Do this EVERY TIME SOMEONE TALKS" is the last thing you want.

Edited by Onmi

I'd definitely appreciate a better translation/menu patch. I still haven't even read Thracia's script yet despite having played it multiple times, since I just got fed up and played it in moonspeak running off my knowledge of fire emblem and kanji.

I have absolutely no idea what the story is about, aside from snippets I've seen around the forum. I decided working menus > readable story text. Aside from playing more than a couple chapters and trying to guess at the goal (HAAA HAAAA GUESS HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE FUCKING ARROW WAS FOR ON ESCAPE CHAPTERS! JUST GUESS!) it wasn't too bad and was really fun. Still, I'd like to play it for the story at some freakin' point.

'kay, what exactly are you all meaning by the menu: are you meaning the stat displays, or what you choose (unit, terms, end turn, etc.), what.

The crashing near the end is likely do to a fudgy pointer pointing to something obviously not text. Just repoint it to its proper place, or ANY place that's not random data, and it shouldn't crash any longer.

Both.

ounx2g.png

can't find an image of the broken menus at the moment, but they do exist. there's a lot of garbled/junk text however. and as Banzai said the translation is just BAD.

Edited by Onmi

If one could provide translations for the options on the left and the stats in the top-right, I'll look at the game tomorrow, if no one else will.

If I remember right, that pic is the menu translation, not the story translation. Meaning, most menus are functional. Other than that screen, all menus should be translated.

Now, if you could merge the text for the story, with the text for the menus, you'd be golden.

If one could provide translations for the options on the left and the stats in the top-right, I'll look at the game tomorrow, if no one else will.

Right Stats

Leader (Of your army)

Leadership Stars

Movement Stars

Rescued

Movement

Fatigue

Status

Upper Left

Attack Critical

Hit % Evasion

Range

If I remember right, that pic is the menu translation, not the story translation. Meaning, most menus are functional. Other than that screen, all menus should be translated.

Now, if you could merge the text for the story, with the text for the menus, you'd be golden.

Opposite, that's the Story Translation, the Menu Translation looks like this

34p1g7d.jpg

Edited by Onmi