Sega Saturn Emulator Help Please

Naglfar94

Hello everyone well ok it is another emulator problem sorry everyone haha ok I admit it I`m a total nood when it comes to these kinds of emulators other than ZSNES and VBA. The Sega Saturn not a very good game system yes? well seems like it anyway I wanted to play Castlevania symphony of the night I`m sure many of you know that game but I wanted to play the saturn version as it is actually better than the PS1 version there is much more content and 2 extra dungeons underground garden and cursed prison so yeah the saturn version is pretty darn decent. So I go searching for an emulator ran into many problems getting the thing to start up Many people say use SSF Saturn emulator. The site I downloaded it from says recommended emulator is Satourne to run it I tried both many times only to end in nothing. Satourne the closest I got was the title screen but..When I try to press the buttons NOTHING HAPPENS! it was just stuck and then it froze and lagged :( I try SSF same thing it says my computer is missing some dll thing or whatever for the newer versions of the SSF emulator. So I do a last resort move if the new versions of the emulator don`t work how about the older one? I download SSF Saturn version 0.09 it works!! buut one problem just one the game has really bad lag :o why? is it because I`m playing it in my laptop?? it can`t be ZSNES and VBA run so smooth here so what is going on? am I missing any BIOS files at all? that affect the speed? I checekd all the little options inside the emulator and nothing it still lags I would hate to turn away now when I`ve come so far so yeah what is up with the lag? is it the emulator itself? if so how do I fix it? nothing else is wrong it is just the speed that is really bad so much lag I had to quit playing because it was that slow. Thanks to anyone who has had same problems and may be able to help as I`m sure I`m not the only one who has had a major lag problem Maybe I should change emulators as both may not be able to properly run Castlevania...

Edited by Naglfar94

I'm not that familiar with emulation in general, (let alone Saturn) but from what you said it sounds like you need the BIOS files. They wouldn't come with the emulator.

(sorry for my lousy advice... T_T I hope you figure out your problem soon)

mods are probably going to lock this. before that happens op, remember to be careful not to type out the actual name of a site that has video game roms. we're not allowed.

Ah really? I had no idea :o thanks for that help :)

I'm not that familiar with emulation in general, (let alone Saturn) but from what you said it sounds like you need the BIOS files. They wouldn't come with the emulator.

(sorry for my lousy advice... T_T I hope you figure out your problem soon)

I see thanks any bit of help I can use everything is just fine but the speed is bad I will look around and see what I can find to speed this thing up.

If you're looking for another Saturn Emulator, try Yabause. However, I can say that the game that you're trying to emulate(the saturn port of SotN) is, from what I've heard anyway, not worth the trouble. It's apparently poorly optimized for the Saturn hardware and contains a lot of slowdown and graphical problems.

Some of the Saturn content(such as playable Maria IIRC) was made available in the PSP rerelease that was included with Dracula X Chronicles.

If you're looking for another Saturn Emulator, try Yabause. However, I can say that the game that you're trying to emulate(the saturn port of SotN) is, from what I've heard anyway, not worth the trouble. It's apparently poorly optimized for the Saturn hardware and contains a lot of slowdown and graphical problems.

Some of the Saturn content(such as playable Maria IIRC) was made available in the PSP rerelease that was included with Dracula X Chronicles.

Yabause? ah alright I`ll try that one instead. Yeah I know I used to have the PSP version some years ago loved it but sadly that game and my PSP were stolen :( I`m going at this saturn version though for the 2 extra dungeons that were added heh underground garden and cursed prison both stages seem pretty cool ;)

SSF is the best Sega Saturn emulator by far no comparison. Castlevania SOTN runs at full speed on SSF the last time I played which was probably 2 years ago. Most likely your laptop can't handle running it at full speed. It takes more processer power to emulate than a ZSnes or VBA. Sega Saturn specs dual CPU and 6 processors which is rather complicated to emulate for a old game system.

I would recommend using the newer version of SSF which has lots of improvements. There are options to speed up the emulation in the settings with less compatability but I never tried using it. Also, I can't seem to get the latest version of SSF 012 beta R4 working on my Windows XP 64 but works fine on Windows 7 64.

Try running SSF 012 beta R3 and if your missing a dll, just search and download the dll and put the dll in the same folder as the emulator. It is required to have DirectX 9.0c to run SSF. Also you do not need a bios with the SSF emulator. You can use a bios but it won't do anything.

There are many good games for the Sega Saturn like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Dragon Force, Sakura Taisen series, Langrisser series, Dungeon's & Dragons Collection, Princess Crown, and Radiant Silvergun. Most of the good games are import games.

Also you do not need a bios with the SSF emulator. You can use a bios but it won't do anything.

You learn something new every day. Just ignore what I said, I know nothing >_>

There are many good games for the Sega Saturn like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Dragon Force, Sakura Taisen series, Langrisser series, Dungeon's & Dragons Collection, Princess Crown, and Radiant Silvergun. Most of the good games are import games.

Seriously, Langrisser is incredible. It seems like the series is fairly obscured, so I want to take the chance to echo this sentiment. I haven't played them on the Saturn, but I have IV and V for PSX and I can tell you that you don't want to miss out. I also think II is available for Saturn in a bundle with I, which is my personal favorite.

You learn something new every day. Just ignore what I said, I know nothing >_>

Seriously, Langrisser is incredible. It seems like the series is fairly obscured, so I want to take the chance to echo this sentiment. I haven't played them on the Saturn, but I have IV and V for PSX and I can tell you that you don't want to miss out. I also think II is available for Saturn in a bundle with I, which is my personal favorite.

I think Der Langrisser is an enhanced port of one of the earlier Langrisser games, and it's also quite good. It has a great translation patch, created for the actual hardware, and it is available on the SNES.

I'm still struggling with Yabuase emulation myself - my rig can't run it well - but for my actual, real Saturn, I love the Working Designs game Albert Odyssey. Gameplay wise, it's a bit cookie cutter, and the goofy translation might turn off a few who think it too much, but it's a blast to play, even now.

I'm still struggling with Yabuase emulation myself - my rig can't run it well - but for my actual, real Saturn, I love the Working Designs game Albert Odyssey. Gameplay wise, it's a bit cookie cutter, and the goofy translation might turn off a few who think it too much, but it's a blast to play, even now.

I still remember seeing an ad for that game in an old issue of EGM2 way back in 1997. Thanks for reminding me of how old I am compared to most Fire Emblem fans nowadays.

It's most likely Yabause not able to emulate the game properly. I played Albert Odyessey on SSF over 5 years ago and it ran full speed on my P4 dual core 2.66ghz. I enjoyed the game but I was expecting more for a 32 bit game. I don't care too much for most of the jokes Working Designs uses, but it never bothered me from playing any of their games. Lunar The Silver Star for the Sega CD did have one funny quote I liked. I don't remember it word for word but it went something like, boss we got a new shipment of Barney videos in we could use as target practice. Also Popful Mail when Sven T Common speaks like Arnold Schwarzenegger made me laugh.

One thing I like about Working Designs is how well they package their games. I'm a sucker for limited edition stuff. I remember spending over $300 trying to get a Umi CD art for Magic Knight Rayearth on the Sega Saturn. I ended up buying all 5 copies of the game at Swap USA. At least I managed to get it on the last copy I bought.

I still remember seeing an ad for that game in an old issue of EGM2 way back in 1997. Thanks for reminding me of how old I am compared to most Fire Emblem fans nowadays.

Years passed by so fast, I remember getting Albert Odeyssey for my 21st birthday in Aug 1997. Also got Ogre Battle Limited Edition for the PS. Took me nearly 30 minutes digging through boxes but I found the July 1997 EGM magazine for the advertisement of Albert Odeyssey. $10 expired coupon for Wild Arms from Sears funtronics! Also found a August 1998 issue of Playboy. lol

Ah guys!! I did it!! a few days back!! After extensive searching I by accident came across a site forgot the name of it by anyway it had every version of SSF emulator in the folder I downloaded!! all of them right down from the first release! I deleted all except 1 though as there were like over 80 emulators in that folder!! my poor laptop was probabaly in shock Lol all that space taken up. So turns out it is all about compatibility certain games run better in certain versions of SSF and Castlevania SOTN runs more smooth and better in one of the older versions of SSF I think I have the 7.0 version the rest just seem to lag so yeah problem solved thank you all for helping so much!! it felt so good to play that game again after so long!! and the extra content in it is sweet!!

The website you came across is the author of SSF. Save states don't seem to work on different versions of SSF. I found out today when trying to load some of my save states from 5 years ago. Also Castlevania SOTN runs fine on newer versions of SSF. Would recommend using 012 beta. The games look much better and the older versions don't have transparency emulated. I'll post a video of how the game runs and looks on the newer version in about 10-20 minutes.

SSF_012_beta_R3_Castlevania_SOTN

th_SSF_012_beta_R3_Castlevania_SOTN_zps7

Couldn't get SSF to record properly so I used Fraps which records videos at absurd size.

Edited by Siruppercut

Wow awesome!! it runs so smooth! and I did not know that folder and site was by the author of SSF! wow! ok I will need to look into getting that version up and running then! You play so good!! and you used Maria! one of my favorites but I have not mastered her summon skills yet i am not good at the whole button combo input thing so I just use her basic kicks and energy shots which can charge up. You played like a pro there heh I`m stuck on Galamoth as Maria haha I will find a way to beat him though.

The website you came across is the author of SSF. Save states don't seem to work on different versions of SSF. I found out today when trying to load some of my save states from 5 years ago. Also Castlevania SOTN runs fine on newer versions of SSF. Would recommend using 012 beta. The games look much better and the older versions don't have transparency emulated. I'll post a video of how the game runs and looks on the newer version in about 10-20 minutes.

SSF_012_beta_R3_Castlevania_SOTN

th_SSF_012_beta_R3_Castlevania_SOTN_zps7

Couldn't get SSF to record properly so I used Fraps which records videos at absurd size.

Video and sound quality dropped when I converted the original 1.1 gig that Fraps recorded down to 31 mb avi video. Slightly choppy, the game runs smoother than the actual video.

My system specs running SSF. P4 dual core 2.66, 4 gig ram, Geforce GTX 650, Windows XP 64, and directX 9.0c. Settings I have enabled on the emulator. 75% scanline, bilinear filtering, v sync to run at proper speed and prevent screen tearing.

Maria on the Sega Saturn is the most overpowered character ever. Makes Richter and Alucard look weak. You can easily clear the game in under 20 minutes without much effort if you are good at using the command spells. I know you said your not good with the button commands but the easiest way to beat Galamoth is using Maria's Blue Dragon spell. It is back, forward, half circle back, and forward + A. Takes 2 spells to kill and maybe a few extra hits. Also nearly every boss can be killed with one Blue Dragon and the best thing is she is invincible when using it. You can also use here super jump(down, up + B) to hit Galamoth when he is about to use the lightning spell and use the downward kick to repeatedly hit him pressing (down + B).

• 5 years later...