FE8 : Master Version

BrightVega

Welcome to my first hack which has to do with Fire Emblem 8 and attempts at improving the gameplay.

This hack tries to improve quite many features of the game and especially the lack of insetive to grind and think.

Issues in the original:

- The vanilla game suffers from post-game mindless grinding which is not needed

as there's no challenge or reason to max out your army.

- FE8 is notoriously easy with stupid and weak enemies.

- Shops update too slow. Combined with the easy chapters, you will fight from start to finish with Iron weapons.

- Many imbalances from items to characters.

- Main chapters are a joke in rewards.

- Lack of tactical thinking.

- Small game.

Master Version handles all these issues by:

- Increasing the main chapter difficulty not by stat buffing the enemies. I don't want this to be an RNG-gamble game.

As you will see in the patch notes, enemy stats are slightly buffed, nothing OP or broken.

In fact, all non-promoted enemies have the exact same bases and growths.

What changes is their scaling, equipment, position and timing/number of events.

Enemy commanders will seem much more capable as they actually have plans to defeat your army.

- The game now focuses a lot on A) unit placement B) set up C) using the appropriate soldiers for the appropriate task

- Bum rushing tact is punished in most occasions. There will be situations to press your advance and make you do mistakes. However, everything is manageable within the timeframes with carefull progress.

- Set up and preparation becomes very important.

- Monster enemies remain as weak as the original. Reason is that the Tower and the Ruins are grinding areas and they shouldn't be a headache while gathering exp and resources.

What about story chapters with monsters then?

You will see that even without any buffing, monsters can still be a challenge when organised.

- Starting positions for the player are different with various consequences.

- Every section of the story maps is like a..."little puzzle"for you to solve.

- Nasty surprises which all can be countered with good planning. Also enough time is given to set up a counter plan

against any surprise.

- The idea of post game is dumped, with all items becoming available before the end

and making the end-game (Ch.20+21+22) very hard for optimised parties.

- The maps were designed so that savestates aren't needed. (Though Ephraim's end-game chapters might need them :P)

These were the core ideas.

Now, On the aspect of difficulty, the game has a steady increase in difficulty as you progress

with 3 spikes whenever you enter a new story arc:

Ch9, Ch15, Ch20.

At these milepoints the difficulty will increase somewhat more from that point onward

with Ch20~End having quite high difficulty as they serve the reason for someone to max out his units/army.

Eirika's route was a snoozefest with very boring chapters. I hope i fixed that with fresh ideas.

Still, the final 3 chapters are beatable with just 20/20 units. That doesn't mean they are easy.

Ephraim's route is more complex and harder. The enemies have the exact same scaling and stats with Eirika's

but they are smarter with better formations. Also it has some gimmicks that Eirika's route doesn't have.

The last 3 chapters are quite hard and require stat boosting grinding.

Extra details:

- Shops update faster with better items. Some maps will have their difficulty based on the items sold on the shops already unlocked.

- Dancer Class is stat buffed, can use staves, it's considered promoted and can even "S" rank staves. Best buffer-debuffer.

- Rogue class is more usefull in the main chapters as there are a lot more stealables and it can indirectly debuff bosses.

- Myrrh's affinity changed from "Wind" to "Dark"

- Every character is viable for end-game.

- Growth rates are twinked as to make units have strength and weaknesses and still have a better role in the field.

- Classes are balanced in a fair manner making them equal. It's mostly by buffing, as i don't like nerfing the good stuff.

- It now takes around 40~60 hours to clear.

- Main chapters are a lot more rewarding than the Tower or the Ruins with better loot and EXP.

- Bonus stats for "A" and "S" weapon rank.

- Anima is a lightweight, fast-hitting magic, Light is weak with high Hit% and Crit%, Dark is burst damage but slow.

- Staff EXP is modified (Heal-15EXP, Mend-20EXP, Recover-25EXP, Libro-30EXP etc...etc...) (details in the patch notes)

- Village/chest items changed

- New item icons for most items.

- New starting items with various effects.

- DragonStones are sold. Myrrh is viable for the end.

- Summoned Phantoms have increased movement, fly over obstacles and get terrain bonuses.

- A lot more details in the patch notes....

!!! UPDATE 1.05 (3/12/15) !!!

- Chapters 1~5 will have some enemies (x5) drop "Pure Waters"

- Zanbato buff: Might 8(+2)

- Eirika's Ch14: Cavalry reinforcement with steel weapons (instead of Killers)

- Eirika's Ch15: Wyvern timing changed into 3 waves instead of rushing.

- Ephraim's Ch17: North-West Berserker relocated to South-West.

- The 3 "super trainee class" (Journeyman+3, Recruit+3, Pupil+3) are greatly buffed (details in patch notes)

- Some Patch Notes are updated, correcting some typos and containing patch changes

- New Background for Main Menu.

5A67iF9.png

!!! UPDATE 1.10 (6/12/15) !!!

- Main Menu background is improved

- New Menu and Chapter Title background

This background gave me diabetes....

ewFMHnD.pngan7NKAW.png

- Assassin (F) new battle sprite:

GYaYigP.pngBFCp9XC.pngGw4hb4S.png

!!! UPDATE 1.11 (12/1/16) !!!
- Weapon "Short Bow" Hit% buff +10%
- Eirika Ch.15: Bolting fort Sage -> Eclipse fort Druid

- Ephraim Ch10: Boss "Beran": -1SPD -1LUCK Nerf
- Ephraim Ch10: Commander + reinforcements arrive 2 turns later (Turn 8)
- Ephraim Ch10: Chapter lasts 1 turn more (Turn 15)

!!! UPDATE 1.12 (26/1/16) !!!

- Fenrir +5Hit% (=65%)
- Fenrir Number of Uses FIX (=25)
- Fenrir Number Cost FIX (=2500G)
- Elfire/ Fenrir/ Divine +5Crt% (= 5%/ 5%/ 15%)
- Aura +5Crt% (45%)
- LongBow +1MT (=8)

- Killer Sword/ Lance/ Axe/ Bow -1MT (= 8/ 9/ 10/ 8)
- Shamshir -1MT (= 7)
- Aircalibur -1MT (= 8)

- Boss "Morva": Receives terrain bonuses (no more Eclipse/Bolting cheese :<)

Hints:

- After Ch15, you have almost all the recruitable units. It's recommended to clear the Valni tower once to build supports and weapon ranks.
- From Ch16 and onward you should use only "C" rank or above weapons
- Check the shops as they may hold items that will solve your problems in your next chapters

- Always give/have a Vulnerary to every unit.

- Prepare and train 24 units.

- Rescue Command becomes usefull for safely kiting enemies.

- In Ch14 the secret shop sells promotional items. It's a good idea to buy now any missing seals you need

as you can buy them after you clear Ch17.

- Build supports if RNG is unfair with you.

Screenshots:

PESGq5X.pnguPgXXvQ.png1dmnD8H.png7U3eMn9.png

FLJ3Q3y.pngmRLXSCk.pngtTeaT7N.pngQmZe1ph.png

kHEzvIM.pngRRCA112.pngXBFNUci.pngPfOPPMK.png

I3Ukx6I.pngrdEE74U.png6jOe9e6.pngPy53o3w.png

suPwO5w.png42QcOEY.png5J2Qoqq.pngGWaT9bE.png

R4BQb4L.pngJehbZJ4.png61RDu7r.pngckxm2Dl.png

RKphwrK.pngnFg6waK.pngb5uXz6Z.png

How to install:

1. Find a clean ROM of FE8:TSS (U)

2. Apply the patch using "NUPS Patcher"

Patch with all the Patch Notes (which are quite many):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ea8d0ckrt1ogzi0/AAD68VlBbB5Cq_AJ3G4Btj8sa?dl=0

!!! Credits: Without them it would be impossible to finish it !!! (Updated for v1.10)

Tutorials used and credits for help:

~~~Item Icon Basic Edit:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25610
by AstraLunaSol

~~~Portrait Edit:
Face Splicing:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25963
by Maklo

How to insert:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51397
by Sphalerite
and Ultimate Guide

~~~Staff EXP MOD:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=50825&hl=%2Bcustom+%2Bstaff
by lushen124

~~~Adding extra player/enemy units in a map and editing reinforcements not seen in EA for FE8:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57742
by circleseverywhere

~~~Statsheet Background Edit:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56224 Posts 16~20
by circleseverywhere

AND
http://feuniverse.us/t/fe7-world-map-tsa-tips/165/3
3rd post by Agro

~~~Title Screen Edit:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57915offsets
by circleseverywhere

~~~Main Menu and Menu Background Edit:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58878
by circleseverywhere (<- yeah this guy is a FE8 wiki lol)

~~~FE8 Spell Animator:
http://www.feshrine.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3603
by Zeldaicflame

~~~Weapon Rank Bonus Edit:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48292
by vennobennu

~~~Passive Bonus Hack:
http://feuniverse.us/t/vennos-small-asm-hacks-and-notes/269/14
AND
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57978
by vennobennu

~~~FE8, Naglfar (or any weapon) regalia/divine/holy glow/shine/flash Edit:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58360
by icecube

~~~FE8 Custom Battle Animation:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34664&hl=dancer#entry2097106
both shadowofchaos and Chocolate Kitty

AND "How to insert":
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43147&hl=%2Bbattle+%2Banimation
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34510&page=11#entry2881467
by Alfred Kamon

~~~Assassin (F) Battle Sprite:

From Serene's resources and to Moocavo and Riku

~~~Map Visual appearance:
http://www.fireemblemwod.com
for their amazing map details

Edited by BrightVega

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like a hack that I'm going to enjoy 120%. Lots of the gameplay improvements made sounds like they're for my taste.

- Starting positions for the player are different with various consequences.

- Every section of the story maps is like a..."little puzzle"for you to solve.

- Nasty surprises which all can be countered with good planning. Also enough time is given to set up a counter plan

against any surprise.

- Shops update faster with better items. Some maps will have their difficulty based on the items sold on the shops already unlocked.

^ These are especially parts I'm looking forward into. I'll definitely try this someday in the future!

I would love if this included a split similar to FE8 Green, where it split the units apart and made the player play through both Ephraim and Eirika's part. Nonethless, I plan on trying this out on my way home.

Because higher Hit% and Crt% +Axes +7MOV = field hunter

And 28 is still a high number

After thoroughly reading your patch note i totally see why this change was needed, on a side note im happy to have a mage knight that won't be useless anymore ! Thks for your work man :)

And does upgraded journeyman/recruit/pupil are worth it ? (the level 3 ones)

Edited by tonfa

And does upgraded journeyman/recruit/pupil are worth it ? (the level 3 ones)

I didn't touch those 3 trainees because

A) the only way to make them worth it is to give them 30 to all stat caps +7MOV +Crt%

B) you would still need to clear the game 2 times

C) I'm not sure how to handle them. They will always be inferior to main classes or broken OP...

Can be played on hard mode?

Fairly certain (90%) yes as I made everything with Hard Mode in mind

though the Ephraim route on Hard should be quite challenging.

And the game is not about stats. A +3 to all stats and +5HP won't break it.

(OK, Ch20+F1+F2 are about stats but even then they are mostly about terrain control)

Edited by BrightVega

Since there is no indication that this game was meant to be played on Hard Mode (THIS is the kind of info you want in the first post, in bold), I'm running through on Normal. Currently on Chapter 11. Here's my thoughts:

- I have yet to find a problem whose solution isn't "throw Seth at it".

- Though you say this isn't meant to be a RNG-gamble game, the sheer amount of slim weapons turn it into a RNG-gamble game. I'd either drop the crit on the slim weapons by 5, or give the enemies Iron weapons.

- I have yet to use a single stat booster - either Seth absorbs the hits, or it gives Moulder something to do.

- Some of the changes were amusing (like actual bow enemies in Chapter 4), while others were a little mystifying (thanks to the Javelin spam in Chapter 8, I could use Ross as bait, without too much risk of him dying).

- I think Chapter 7 is way the hell too early for Bolting. . .ditto Purge and Chapter 8. If you really want to go that route, put the Pure Water back in Chapter 2.

- Time to deal with midgame, which is my least favorite part.

- Will attempt Ephraim's route with the characters later. Or maybe just do it on Hard.

EDIT: Going for full recruitment. This will be interesting. But not right now. I managed to find a nice break between the dizzy spells, but they're coming back. ;/

Edited by eclipse

- I have yet to find a problem whose solution isn't "throw Seth at it".

- Though you say this isn't meant to be a RNG-gamble game, the sheer amount of slim weapons turn it into a RNG-gamble game. I'd either drop the crit on the slim weapons by 5, or give the enemies Iron weapons.

- I have yet to use a single stat booster - either Seth absorbs the hits, or it gives Moulder something to do.

- Some of the changes were amusing (like actual bow enemies in Chapter 4), while others were a little mystifying (thanks to the Javelin spam in Chapter 8, I could use Ross as bait, without too much risk of him dying).

- I think Chapter 7 is way the hell too early for Bolting. . .ditto Purge and Chapter 8. If you really want to go that route, put the Pure Water back in Chapter 2.

- Time to deal with midgame, which is my least favorite part.

- Will attempt Ephraim's route with the characters later. Or maybe just do it on Hard.

- Abusing Seth is only hurting the rest of the units. No one will be able to solo.

- You aren''t supposed to melee Slimers. And if you do, you will always want the WT advantage.

- Yeah, keep the stat boosters for later.

- Armor Javeliners are making you think twice whether to send a mage or not.

Axes+Spears can soften them up so mages can 1 shot them OR mages can ORKO these enemies and then you can cover them.

The Ch.8 gauntlet in that room can be dealt with bait by Ross or a cavalier with mage support.

- The Ch.6 Bolting is being this way to only hit enemies very close to the boss. The Hit% is around 30~40%. Also close to the boss are many forest tiles to hide.

This way you can't rush to the boss and will actually resque the villagers.

- The Ch.7 Bolting is another puzzle. A Pegasi can easily kill him easily but he is protected by a fighter and 2 immobile dracos.

Lure the mage and the fighter and lead everyone away from their range. When they get closer send a cavalier and a pegasi for a quick kill.

- The Ch8 Purge is used by a lv1 monk. The DMG is very low but the Hit% is high.

The point is to take into consideration these 3~4DMG into your plan (6DMG in Hard when you have 25HP average at that point). Not to pray to avoid it.

There are many ways to safely deal the situation.

- Pure Water isn't given yet cause it isn't needed at all.

EDIT: Going for full recruitment. This will be interesting. But not right now. I managed to find a nice break between the dizzy spells, but they're coming back. ;/

1 ranged mage every 2 maps on average is hardly dizzy. In older official titles you could see 10 of these units in a map :/

Just saying great hack. Definitely gonna play later but just a question, you said post game is dumped, does that mean creature campaigns units such as Lyon and Isamire are unobtainable?

Just saying great hack. Definitely gonna play later but just a question, you said post game is dumped, does that mean creature campaigns units such as Lyon and Isamire are unobtainable?

You can still obtain them.

It just there's no real meaning to keep playing. You can only do skirmishes, the Tower and the Ruins.

- Abusing Seth is only hurting the rest of the units. No one will be able to solo.

- You aren''t supposed to melee Slimers. And if you do, you will always want the WT advantage.

- Yeah, keep the stat boosters for later.

- Armor Javeliners are making you think twice whether to send a mage or not.

Axes+Spears can soften them up so mages can 1 shot them OR mages can ORKO these enemies and then you can cover them.

The Ch.8 gauntlet in that room can be dealt with bait by Ross or a cavalier with mage support.

- The Ch.6 Bolting is being this way to only hit enemies very close to the boss. The Hit% is around 30~40%. Also close to the boss are many forest tiles to hide.

This way you can't rush to the boss and will actually resque the villagers.

- The Ch.7 Bolting is another puzzle. A Pegasi can easily kill him easily but he is protected by a fighter and 2 immobile dracos.

Lure the mage and the fighter and lead everyone away from their range. When they get closer send a cavalier and a pegasi for a quick kill.

- The Ch8 Purge is used by a lv1 monk. The DMG is very low but the Hit% is high.

The point is to take into consideration these 3~4DMG into your plan (6DMG in Hard when you have 25HP average at that point). Not to pray to avoid it.

There are many ways to safely deal the situation.

- Pure Water isn't given yet cause it isn't needed at all.

1 ranged mage every 2 maps on average is hardly dizzy. In older official titles you could see 10 of these units in a map :/

And now we have a problem: What you've said in the spoilers is forcing a player to do. . .something. I can tell you how I got around all of the things I've encountered so far.

- It doesn't mean that the rest of my units are being neglected. Seth clears a path and gets the boss kill, but he's not everywhere at once, and I'm killing as many enemies as possible before ending the map. I should be able to promote Franz at the end of Chapter 11 (once I remember to give him enough Javelins), with Moulder/Vanessa/Artur/Gilliam not too far behind (I could promote them all RIGHT NOW, but I want to feed them a bit more experience). Still, throwing a single unit out there and having him more-or-less solve the puzzles you put in kind of cheapens the claim that you made it harder. Then again, I'm on Normal, so if I decide that this is worth a replay on Hard, I'll see if this still holds true.

- I didn't notice the Chapter 6 guy because I ended the map in a pretty timely fashion by having Seth go north and slaughtering everything. However, I don't think you understand what I have in mind for a Pure Water - it allows me to control who gets targeted by long-range magic, and it's a lot more reliable than trying to run my units between an enemy and a Bolting (Chapter 7) or waiting out reinforcements (Chapter 8). I'm half-temped to hack one in, just to show the difference between having it and not having it.

- Speaking of Chapter 7, I had Joshua camp out in a forest while using Ross as bait. The mage and fighter went down really quickly, and since I used the Killing Edge, so did the wyverns.

- The reason why the treasure room knights in vanilla FE8 were a pain in the ass was because the fastest way of dealing it was either Seth with an Armorslayer/Steel Lance (or Silver Lance if there's enough uses remaining) or an axe guy with a Hammer. The latter was dangerous, since it was a 3HKO at best. With Javelins, I don't have to worry about my axe guy dying (since they're much weaker and slightly less accurate than Steel Lances), and it's easier to pull all the enemies into one giant non-threatening clump to kill. If you're hellbent on having those knights wield Javelins for I-don't-know-what reason, have the guys closest to the door wield both or something.

- Oh, right, Chapter 8's boss. Eir + Rapier + pillar = free experience. Seth was busy ferrying keys, though if I wanted a faster clear of the map, I would've given Seth/Franz the Armorslayer and let them loose on the boss.

- Full recruitment means diddling around on Chapter 13 for Cormag. He's going to replace. . .someone. Maybe one of Kyle/Forde, unless they both get their acts together.

Those dizzy spells were something that I had to deal with that day - it's a physical ailment I have to live around.

Also, if something bothers me enough, I'll see if I can grab a screen of it and explain how my team is doing things. Chapter 11 would've been finished, but I forgot to bring Artur along. . .so I'm redoing it.

EDIT: Got bored, here's Chapter 11, in screenies.

6DKnVyX.png

This is Seth. The only rigging done was to ensure his survival against Binks/Pablo (as in, "please don't die to a random crit because Franz has the Hoplon Guard").

F7lrFuH.png

This is the beginning of turn 2. Franz killed something (to the left), Artur managed to critkill the swordie on turn 1 and finished off the archer on turn 2. Seth took out one of the enemies previously. So, here's how I'm going to get past this chunk of change.

4endXDf.png

Ross overkills the one enemy he can reach (Iron Axe).

iahmYgD.png

Vanessa kills the other one (Iron Lance).

xEAKcOu.png

The number's a bit obscured, but base Gerik can cleanly ORKO the archer with an Iron Sword.

vLt0v80.png

Kyle chips.

ddhpcuR.png

. . .and Kyle misses, so Gilliam does some damage instead.

KNlcYqw.png

Forde doubles and finishes.

UWkeEsF.png

Good night.

AXQFhNA.png

Tethys dances Ross, Tana rescues Tethys, Ross drops Tethys. Everyone else moves up. Moulder spams Torch.

Dsd3jOK.png

Next turn: Enemy whiffs against Forde.

ohcTOu8.png

Franz grabs a Vulnerary from Artur, downs it, and continues forward.

2iS9Rpv.png

Vanessa cleans up after Forde.

mI6v2Jf.png

Seth ORKOs this scrub.

ljnDQtE.png

See the way everyone's positioned? Everything suicided into Seth, who in turn has taken a trivial amount of damage, most of it from poison.

LfFOe5X.png

Seth runs past the boss and murders this eyeball.

8FytrwQ.png

Ross shows off why I like the Hatchet.

VaCNKbg.png

Forde finished, and Gilliam whisked him out of danger.

MM441FB.png

Everyone else piles near the boss. Next turn, it dies.

iCsUjen.png

Gerik with the Lancereaver starts. Not too worried about anything except the crit.

rl9mGUC.png

Seth follows with a Killing Edge. As long as Seth hits and lives to tell about it, it's all good.

78Y5Mvg.png

Ross can cleanly 2RKO the boss with an Iron Axe.

lYOZ6Qd.png

MVP: Tethys.

rMvtVWm.png

This is Ross, as a level 10 Pirate.

bo0VkEK.png

Eir fished a Door Key out of storage and gave it to Seth. Meanwhile, Kyle tossed a spare Javelin to Seth. Seth opened the door and moved backwards a bit. Gilliam stood nearby, to ensure that nothing could get past them. Ross stood next to one of the walls, because anything stupid enough to attack him deserved to die.

QUIqQCW.png

Meanwhile, Franz looks like this.

nKbS59M.png

Gerik-style chip.

KHP6UTJ.png

Ross-style finishing.

xRkbnmu.png

Tethys danced for Ross, so I could do this.

iCW3n1L.png

Vanessa ORKOs this guy.

qsTvqg1.png

Kyle grabs Vanessa.

IEnJJtE.png

Took a huge risk with Gilliam (56% hit with the Javelin), and it paid off. Forde kills this enemy.

8NOYUpv.png

It was nice knowing you.

RNIO13n.png

I kinda want this to end, so I rush Colm to the last two chests. I set up Forde and Seth as his bodyguards (so that the enemies don't block his progress).

I8PxWr4.png

Tana gets a terrible level from this chip.

Jwc1kYU.png

Kyle gets an equally terrible level from this finish.

P591hpu.png

After some checking, I decide to feed the last enemy to Eir.

iFhZZ0Y.png

Justice has been served.

This was at a leisurely pace, and took 10 turns. Had this been Hard Mode, I would've had Artur camp out in the forests near the starting area, and given Franz and Elixir.

Edited by eclipse

And now we have a problem: What you've said in the spoilers is forcing a player to do. . .something. I can tell you how I got around all of the things I've encountered so far.

- It doesn't mean that the rest of my units are being neglected. Seth clears a path and gets the boss kill, but he's not everywhere at once, and I'm killing as many enemies as possible before ending the map. I should be able to promote Franz at the end of Chapter 11 (once I remember to give him enough Javelins), with Moulder/Vanessa/Artur/Gilliam not too far behind (I could promote them all RIGHT NOW, but I want to feed them a bit more experience). Still, throwing a single unit out there and having him more-or-less solve the puzzles you put in kind of cheapens the claim that you made it harder. Then again, I'm on Normal, so if I decide that this is worth a replay on Hard, I'll see if this still holds true.

- I didn't notice the Chapter 6 guy because I ended the map in a pretty timely fashion by having Seth go north and slaughtering everything. However, I don't think you understand what I have in mind for a Pure Water - it allows me to control who gets targeted by long-range magic, and it's a lot more reliable than trying to run my units between an enemy and a Bolting (Chapter 7) or waiting out reinforcements (Chapter 8). I'm half-temped to hack one in, just to show the difference between having it and not having it.

- Speaking of Chapter 7, I had Joshua camp out in a forest while using Ross as bait. The mage and fighter went down really quickly, and since I used the Killing Edge, so did the wyverns.

- The reason why the treasure room knights in vanilla FE8 were a pain in the ass was because the fastest way of dealing it was either Seth with an Armorslayer/Steel Lance (or Silver Lance if there's enough uses remaining) or an axe guy with a Hammer. The latter was dangerous, since it was a 3HKO at best. With Javelins, I don't have to worry about my axe guy dying (since they're much weaker and slightly less accurate than Steel Lances), and it's easier to pull all the enemies into one giant non-threatening clump to kill. If you're hellbent on having those knights wield Javelins for I-don't-know-what reason, have the guys closest to the door wield both or something.

- Oh, right, Chapter 8's boss. Eir + Rapier + pillar = free experience. Seth was busy ferrying keys, though if I wanted a faster clear of the map, I would've given Seth/Franz the Armorslayer and let them loose on the boss.

- Full recruitment means diddling around on Chapter 13 for Cormag. He's going to replace. . .someone. Maybe one of Kyle/Forde, unless they both get their acts together.

- Once I get to Chapter 16, I'll see if I can truly break the game with Knoll.

Those dizzy spells were something that I had to deal with that day - it's a physical ailment I have to live around.

Also, if something bothers me enough, I'll see if I can grab a screen of it and explain how my team is doing things. Chapter 11 would've been finished, but I forgot to bring Artur along. . .so I'm redoing it.

EDIT: Got bored, here's Chapter 11, in screenies.

6DKnVyX.png

This is Seth. The only rigging done was to ensure his survival against Binks/Pablo (as in, "please don't die to a random crit because Franz has the Hoplon Guard").

F7lrFuH.png

This is the beginning of turn 2. Franz killed something (to the left), Artur managed to critkill the swordie on turn 1 and finished off the archer on turn 2. Seth took out one of the enemies previously. So, here's how I'm going to get past this chunk of change.

4endXDf.png

Ross overkills the one enemy he can reach (Iron Axe).

iahmYgD.png

Vanessa kills the other one (Iron Lance).

xEAKcOu.png

The number's a bit obscured, but base Gerik can cleanly ORKO the archer with an Iron Sword.

vLt0v80.png

Kyle chips.

ddhpcuR.png

. . .and Kyle misses, so Gilliam does some damage instead.

KNlcYqw.png

Forde doubles and finishes.

UWkeEsF.png

Good night.

AXQFhNA.png

Tethys dances Ross, Tana rescues Tethys, Ross drops Tethys. Everyone else moves up. Moulder spams Torch.

Dsd3jOK.png

Next turn: Enemy whiffs against Forde.

ohcTOu8.png

Franz grabs a Vulnerary from Artur, downs it, and continues forward.

2iS9Rpv.png

Vanessa cleans up after Forde.

mI6v2Jf.png

Seth ORKOs this scrub.

ljnDQtE.png

See the way everyone's positioned? Everything suicided into Seth, who in turn has taken a trivial amount of damage, most of it from poison.

LfFOe5X.png

Seth runs past the boss and murders this eyeball.

8FytrwQ.png

Ross shows off why I like the Hatchet.

VaCNKbg.png

Forde finished, and Gilliam whisked him out of danger.

MM441FB.png

Everyone else piles near the boss. Next turn, it dies.

iCsUjen.png

Gerik with the Lancereaver starts. Not too worried about anything except the crit.

rl9mGUC.png

Seth follows with a Killing Edge. As long as Seth hits and lives to tell about it, it's all good.

78Y5Mvg.png

Ross can cleanly 2RKO the boss with an Iron Axe.

lYOZ6Qd.png

MVP: Tethys.

rMvtVWm.png

This is Ross, as a level 10 Pirate.

bo0VkEK.png

Eir fished a Door Key out of storage and gave it to Seth. Meanwhile, Kyle tossed a spare Javelin to Seth. Seth opened the door and moved backwards a bit. Gilliam stood nearby, to ensure that nothing could get past them. Ross stood next to one of the walls, because anything stupid enough to attack him deserved to die.

QUIqQCW.png

Meanwhile, Franz looks like this.

nKbS59M.png

Gerik-style chip.

KHP6UTJ.png

Ross-style finishing.

xRkbnmu.png

Tethys danced for Ross, so I could do this.

iCW3n1L.png

Vanessa ORKOs this guy.

qsTvqg1.png

Kyle grabs Vanessa.

IEnJJtE.png

Took a huge risk with Gilliam (56% hit with the Javelin), and it paid off. Forde kills this enemy.

8NOYUpv.png

It was nice knowing you.

RNIO13n.png

I kinda want this to end, so I rush Colm to the last two chests. I set up Forde and Seth as his bodyguards (so that the enemies don't block his progress).

I8PxWr4.png

Tana gets a terrible level from this chip.

Jwc1kYU.png

Kyle gets an equally terrible level from this finish.

P591hpu.png

After some checking, I decide to feed the last enemy to Eir.

iFhZZ0Y.png

Justice has been served.

This was at a leisurely pace, and took 10 turns. Had this been Hard Mode, I would've had Artur camp out in the forests near the starting area, and given Franz and Elixir.

It's not of forcing someone doing something in specific way. That was just 1 of the ways to do it. I'm all for flexibility.

It's just you always say: "I abuse my Ace over and over again".

I have no problem putting "Pure Water" in a store early. No big deal. It's just, even on hard, you can easily brace and absorb/dodge the attacks without any risk.

The Ch8 javelin room: The AI will always pick the ranged option so giving them a 2nd weapon like steel lance has no meaning.

Also steel weapons will lock your options into using only ross and mages

while with javelins you can send more units while also making the use of mages a double-edged sword.

Your Franz is RNG totally screwed :P

Also i don't understand this:

You can trade and swap items mid stage(?)

Also Binks is being made in a way so you can kill his 3 immobile archer bodyguards and him without any of them attacking even once.

What about Pablo? 1 Pegasi/myrm with Hoplon and he gets rekt.

Even without Hoplon on Hard he has 19Crt% - 10%(Luck average)=9% at best without any support buff.

Edit: Added 3 more Hints at OP.

Edited by BrightVega

I have no problem putting "Pure Water" in a store early. No big deal. It's just, even on hard, you can easily brace and absorb/dodge the attacks without any risk.

I don't mind having it as a store item. It's for AI manipulation, not straight damage reduction.

The Ch8 javelin room: The AI will always pick the ranged option so giving them a 2nd weapon like steel lance has no meaning.

Also steel weapons will lock your options into using only ross and mages

while with javelins you can send more units while also making the use of mages a double-edged sword.

In the past (vanilla FE8), I've done the following:

- Park Gilliam in that room

- Garcia with a Hatchet (so he doesn't go An Hero)

- Sufficiently developed Franz with a Steel Lance

- Then there was that one time where I could get away with it, so it was Eir with the Rapier.

Your Franz is RNG totally screwed :P

I feel so sorry for him :P:

Also i don't understand this:

You can trade and swap items mid stage(?)

Also Binks is being made in a way so you can kill his 3 immobile archer bodyguards and him without any of them attacking even once.

What about Pablo? 1 Pegasi/myrm with Hoplon and he gets rekt.

Even without Hoplon on Hard he has 19Crt% - 10%(Luck average)=9% at best without any support buff.

Edit: Added 3 more Hints at OP.

Binks - Franz was on the other side of the map, and I didn't feel like trucking all the way over. 'sides, Seth faced a pretty low hit rate.

Pablo - Vanessa would've needed repeated crits, and even with the Hoplon Guard + Pure Water, she'd still be in danger. Joshua's sort of in the same boat. Seth was the only one who had enough Strength to make it worth using him (and I chose the Killing Edge because it was the closest thing I had). Franz was busy playing with the guys down south.

I'm wary about crits because one of my failed Chapter 8 runs ended when Franz died to that one Thunder mage near Ephraim, with a 4% crit rate (same thing in vanilla).

Edited by eclipse

For Pablo I'm pretty sure you can shut him down with Pure Waters and Magic Barrier staff in Ch.9 shop.

But that would be exaggerated in a Normal run (i think)

I was thinking that Divine was actually hurting him as he became to slow.

For Binks after you clear the archers, you can bait him with a Hoplon User+Swords to equip his axe,

then you can pelt him with a magic barrage.

Or what i did, send the mages in his face so he won't be able to counter with his bow and then resque them.

Frantz might pick up as a promoted?

(If he gets +12 in both SKL and LUCK he should be ok again. Heck these 2 stats are supposed his 2 good traits.)

I'm more worried in that the later maps will become more of "divide and conquer" maps

and relying too much on Seth will gimp the rest. Yes he is good but he can't be everywhere on the map.

But the good thing about FE8 is that you can always grind to catch up and go buy better stuff.

WOW.

I'm seriously impressed. Thank you so much for making this, can't wait to try it out.

The new changes to graphics (the statscreen for example) look really nice too.

This is way more than a reskin in my opinion. I'll know more when I play it, but the feeling I get from it is that it will be a totally different experience from FE8.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Thx everyone for your words. This is just a reskin after all.

I just wanted to make FE8 give a FE4 feel concerning the maps and difficulty.

So far Eclipse convinced me to have "Pure Waters" in the early game

and decided to make 5 enemies in the very early chapters drop it as loot.

This number "5" is enough for whatever there is

and also gives players the choice to sell them for some early cash, should they decide they don't need this item.

Edited by BrightVega

WOW.

I'm seriously impressed. Thank you so much for making this, can't wait to try it out.

The new changes to graphics (the statscreen for example) look really nice too.

This is way more than a reskin in my opinion. I'll know more when I play it, but the feeling I get from it is that it will be a totally different experience from FE8.

I'll have to agree with Alfred that this isn't a reskin. Not if you're messing with enemy positioning.

Thx everyone for your words. This is just a reskin after all.

I just wanted to make FE8 give a FE4 feel concerning the maps and difficulty.

So far Eclipse convinced me to have "Pure Waters" in the early game

and decided to make 5 enemies in the very early chapters drop it as loot.

This number "5" is enough for whatever there is

and also gives players the choice to sell them for some early cash, should they decide they don't need this item.

Uh. . .wow, thanks. Probably would've had a single one, but five should be enough for the entire game. Then again, I like murdering the vast majority of enemies.