Awful Emblem

Artix

I'm just continually amazed at the number of people that don't immediately look at the convoluted series of moves that would be required to get to Jack and think to themselves "I'm probably not supposed to interact with him."

A lot of people are not about to let an Earth Seal get away.

You should keep Jack's situation as it is, but put some kind of easter egg if he is killed. Like that SRW game where the endgame bosses showed up in a mid-game escape chapter and broke the fourth wall if you killed them instead of fleeing.

you forgot the part where they give you endgame-level weapons and equips about a quarter of the way into the game as a reward

Getting to Jack isn't even particularly difficult, you just need to decide "Hey there's a chest there let's get it"

Also, Chapter 9 says the objective is to seize the throne but the map ends after you defeat the boss

I just finished playing the hack, and I must say it was pretty good. The characters were balanced well, and the difficulty curve was good. The first few chapters required almost no effort at all, and the later chapters were somewhat hard! My only suggestion is to add some more reinforcements to the last level. Once you force through the hallways on the left side, all the challenge evaporates until the very tough boss. The castle clearly has stairs near the throne and a few other entry points, use them!

• 2 months later...

Writing is fun.

DALTON: Ho there, friends! What brings you around here at this time of night?

RICHTER: Umm, hello. Have we met?

DALTON: No sir, just a friendly wanderer, looking to help some lost travelers.

JUDITH: A bandit, in other words.

DALTON: Whoa, no, not a bandit! I fight bandits! I’m a hero! A soldier of love and justice!

JUDITH: A lunatic, then? Let’s go, Richter.

(Judith and Richter leave)

DALTON: Wait, nooooo! Aw, why do they always walk away like that?

(Frank arrives from offscreen)

FRANK: A hero’s life is a lonely one, Dalton. Come, let us away!

DALTON: Sir Franklin, where were you? Have you scouted our destination?

FRANK: Indeed! A country inn, not too far from here. Quite respectable lodgings. It seems like the town has been having some trouble with the local ruffians as well!

DALTON: Ah ha! A chance to show my valor! Come, we must make haste!

FERRIS: Oh gods, where did that idiot find you?

DALTON: You must be Sir Ferris! It is an honor to meet you, sir. Franklin has spoken so fondly of you.

FERRIS: Issat right? And what has he said of me?

DALTON: Well… He spoke fondly of your knightly virtues...that rugged chin...that profoundly potato-shaped pate.

FERRIS: I… wait, potato? I’m gonna kill him!

DALTON: S-sir! I think you should calm down a bit… The potato is the most noble of all vegetables!

FERRIS: I ain’t a bloody vegetable!

DALTON: I- I’m sure he meant it in only the-

FERRIS: Where is he? I’ll set this potato thing straight right now! (leaves)

DALTON: Such spirit! I can see why Frank looks up to him!

• 3 months later...
tm1tbhf.png

Most of the changes are listed in the readme but here's a basic rundown of what's different.

-We rebalanced Prologue - Chapter 9 to level players slightly slower, so they don't go into Chapters 10 and onwards too powerful.

-Chapters 10 and 11 are playable, but don't have any opening events, ending events or text. They are just gameplay previews. You'll loop back to Chapter 10 after finishing 11. They might feel too easy coming in with characters from Act 1 but that's because they've been balanced around starting a new game directly from Act 2.

-If you use a full save to play Hard Mode I think Artix has made up to Chapter 3 or 4. I haven't tried it yet but from what I keep hearing it'll be interesting, to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So despite our best efforts, this hack is not dead. I know, I know, hard to believe.

Anyway, this is a general announcement that we are still working on things (I listed out our progress here a few weeks ago) and we are planning to be at FEE3 with a demo covering Chapters 10-15x.

E: Also we have an internal dev build that may or may not get released soon, I'm not gonna make any promises.

Edited by Artix

My guess it's another "no story, gameplay only" build.

More or less. It's basically a build that you (the player) are never supposed to see. It might be because we haven't fully implemented something, or we might have done something that caused something else to break and we haven't fixed it yet. In this case, one of the things that it does is switch Martin and June, so right now Martin joins totally fine on Chapter 2 but then June's portrait pops up and still says her lines. It's just a bunch of stuff like that.