About to dip into PoR for the 1st time

So I'm about to play FE9 for the first time, how different is it from the others I've played: the 3 GBA games, FE4, & the 2 remakes on the DS

I heard it introduces lotsa new mechanics?

Also some sites say Normal mode plays like SS, so jump into hard?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supports are done in a new base system (familiar to you playing FE12 though), the support points are accumulated if two units are on the same map unlike the others where its general location.

Base has the forging you are used to, Bonus Experience is earned which you can spend to boost units to crazy levels (think training grounds but no risk of death and not at a monetary cost)

Shove is a mechanic in which a unit can push another forward a space, skills like seen in FE4 exist and can be on units by default or given to them via ones you find, but with limited points depending on class.

The game overall is pretty easy, but the story is great and the characters are awesome. I'd say start with Hard.

Edited by Jedi

Definitely jump into hard if you even want somewhat of a difficulty. FE9 is still pretty easy on Difficult.

FE9 also reintroduces skills and Canto from FE4. It's changed in that while there are units that start with skills, you can now customize them with scrolls to add skills and you can remove skills. In FE9 (not its sequel) if you remove a skill, it's gone forever. Because of that, you're limited on what skills you can give and you'll meet characters with skills that you won't have the scroll versions of.

Laguz units are a new type of unit. They're transforming units like Tiki but they're based on a gauge. They start on different points on the gauge based on the character. When they hit 20 on the gauge, they transform (or shift) into potentially very powerful units though locked into one-range. While shifted, the gauge drains; and, once it hits 0, it's back to being unshifted. +4 per turn and +2 for each time to enter combat while unshifted; -3 per turn and -1 for each time to enter combat while shifted.

It's a Fire Emblem game. Play it. There's not anything significant you need to know that you won't learn while playing.

Hard mode is easier here than in others, but on a first run it can still be quite challenging. Not sure I would suggest it on a first try unless you're really used to hard modes in other FEs.

You acquire bonus exp by clearing chapters quickly and be completing certain objectives during the chapter. There are no gaiden chapters. Also, starting chapter 8 you will get to access a shop before each chapter. It's contents change each chapter, so it's good to check it regularly.

Another question, are the pool of available characters different from chapter to chapter? I'm at the 2nd chapter where Shinon & Gatrie replaces Boyd & Oscar

You re-arrange a bit for the first 7 or so chapters, and after that it remains consistent.

I'm playing through PoR again after a couple years off, and while it is fairly easy, the beginning is actually the most challenging part. Titania is amazing but can only be at one place at one time. It takes a bit of work to get your units to snowball into unstoppable killing machines. The fort defend chapter is actually kind of difficult, since the enemy has a ton of units and you need to rely on some shaky units to hold one passage (Boyd, I'm looking at you!). Plus, you don't get the convoy for a while, which is super annoying for item management especially if you get the Iron Sword bug.

Once you get past the fort defend level, it's smooth sailing. Marcia, Kieran and Jill (also to a lesser extent Astrid and Makalov) really turn the game into a roflstomp. The game should be renamed Mounts of Radiance or Path of Mounts. Or perhaps Path of Ike, since he can easily solo the rest of the game once he promotes.

I used to find the Chapter 8 defend one to be really difficult when I first played it, but ever since then I've found it quite easy. There are three check points, and Titania handles one of them by herself. So from there, you have four physical units and two more check points, so you just have two characters keep switching off per check point, and the person who switches off gets healed.

I think the intent of the chapter is that you're fighting impossible odds and you barely survive 8 chapters before the laguz save you, but for me I wish I had more turns to keep killing and gain exp.

Edited by Radiant head

By C8 you should have a ORKOing Boyd and Oscar, an Ike that's at least competent (maybe ORKOs Cavs with Regal sword or something idk), and Titania making one entire side her bitch. That makes the chapter much less stressful than it tried to be. Ilyana and Soren help out some more.

Or perhaps Path of Ike, since he can easily solo the rest of the game once he promotes.

Ike doesn't solo anything post promo. He's still a foot locked sword. I can name at least 6 units who will make Ike look like a bitch by C18 (when he promotes).

By C8 you should have a ORKOing Boyd and Oscar, an Ike that's at least competent (maybe ORKOs Cavs with Regal sword or something idk), and Titania making one entire side her bitch. That makes the chapter much less stressful than it tried to be. Ilyana and Soren help out some more.

Ike doesn't solo anything post promo. He's still a foot locked sword. I can name at least 6 units who will make Ike look like a bitch by C18 (when he promotes).

Ragnell + Aether + Boots + Knight Ring. Infinite, powerful 1-2 weapon, heals himself, 9 MOV (just like the mounts!) and can Canto (also just like the mounts!), plus easily caps most of his important stats. Additionally, you need him to take out the Black Knight and Ashnard (I think it's been a while can't remember if a Royal can take down Ashnard).

I clearly did not say Ike was the best character in the game (post promotion he is, but there are too many chapters of mounts making a mockery of the game), I said you can easily solo the game with Ike after promotion with little effort.

Really? You've been trolling me lately for some reason, and I don't think I'm going to engage in discussion with you any more since you obviously fail to read or understand what I write.

Edit: Fixed Ike's MOV

Edited by Eselred

Ragnell + Aether + Boots + Knight Ring. Infinite, powerful 1-2 weapon, heals himself, 9 MOV (just like the mounts!) and can Canto (also just like the mounts!), plus easily caps most of his important stats. Additionally, you need him to take out the Black Knight and Ashnard (I think it's been a while can't remember if a Royal can take down Ashnard).

I clearly did not say Ike was the best character in the game (post promotion he is, but there are too many chapters of mounts making a mockery of the game), I said you can easily solo the game with Ike after promotion with little effort.

Really? You've been trolling me lately for some reason, and I don't think I'm going to engage in discussion with you any more since you obviously fail to read or understand what I write.

Edit: Fixed Ike's MOV

So first off I should address that correction is trolling.

You said "once he promotes."

Ike promotes at the end of C17. Ragnell is obtained for use at the start of C28. Knight Ring is obtained in C19. You cannot use the Occult scroll for Ike until he promotes. Black Knight is an optional fight, and Wrath/Resolve Nasir can kill Ashnard. These things are not obtained "once he promotes".

Edited by Ownagepuffs

So first off I should address that correction is trolling.

You said "once he promotes."

Ike promotes at the end of C17. Ragnell is obtained for use at the start of C28. Knight Ring is obtained in C19. You cannot use the Occult scroll for Ike until he promotes. Black Knight is an optional fight, and Wrath/Resolve Nasir can kill Ashnard. These things are not obtained "once he promotes".

By the time Ike promotes, you already have the Boots (C15), an Occult scroll (C13) and the Knight Ring is coming very soon (one more chapter). I forgot how late he gets Ragnell, but the rest stands. You're also dumping Wrath and Resolve into Nasir at the end of the game instead of using them throughout the rest of the game on other units. Also disregarding Ike's insane growths in PoR. Once again, I did not say that Ike is the best unit in the game (mounts hold this honor). I said you can easily solo the rest of the game once he promotes. That is very true; you are just being intentionally obtuse.

Where is the fun in running away from the Black Knight? He's like the end boss before the end. Taking him down is awesome because the rest of the game is pretty easy.

Considering that there's still a lot of lance land, 1-2 range enemies, and siege tomes to deal with an Ike solo isn't easy. It'd be tedious as all hell. So yes, I do have a problem with that statement. Assuming HM and we're talking the literal definition of a solo, obviously.

I'm beginning to agree with Eselred that the beginning is actually challenging. I'm at chapter 5 & the only reliable units are Tit & Gatrie for tanking, Shinon for double attacks & Ike for reliably dodging & doubling. I don't get how Oscar & Boyd are FE9's more praised characters alongside Titania who can already hold her own just fine right from the get-go; do they only get usable instead of frail & can't double-attack after being fed kills & bexp?

Edited by omglmaowtf

They do; I mean the whole point is that you have to train your characters for them to payoff. Titania and Shinon are prepromtes, and you don't want to be relying on them. Especially not Shinon.

Compared to Titania, Oscar has more room to level up so that by the time he's a Paladin, he'll have much better bases. Titania has better growths though, but she'll be slow on exp gain for a long time.

Edited by Radiant head

Of course those three are the reliable units. They're at least Level 9. You're comparing low-level growth units with higher-level growth units and an Oifaye.

As weight is now based on Strength than Con, Boyd will eventually be able to wield Steel Axes with no AS penalty even as an unpromoted unit. His Speed will be shaky at first but his Speed growth (as far as GBA-comparison standards go) is quite respectable. Think FE7's Bartre Speed growth but +3 base/+1.5 Speedwings.

Personal experience aside, Oscar has a few things going for him: mounted, lances, and Earth affinity. That Earth affinity gives pure Avoid bonus and he can pair up with Ike's Earth for Earth x Earth, which you can start their support as soon as you get the base and has a relatively fast support rate. Mounted to reach enemies, do Rescue strategies, and have the FE4 form of Canto. Oscar can be frail too fuck you Oscar, no Strength procs seven levels later but he's a good unit that comes early enough.

The two get a Bond support. If placed next to each other, they give each other a +10 crit bonus. You can try abusing that in the early portion of the game if need be.

As weight is now based on Strength than Con, Boyd will eventually be able to wield Steel Axes with no AS penalty even as an unpromoted unit. His Speed will be shaky at first but his Speed growth (as far as GBA-comparison standards go) is quite respectable. Think FE7's Bartre Speed growth but +3 base/+1.5 Speedwings.

Is this also applicable to STR-screwed Boyds, like mine that has 8 Str at level 7?

Is this also applicable to STR-screwed Boyds, like mine that has 8 Str at level 7?

The fuck you doing, Boyd

As BrightBow said, that's unlucky with his 60% Str growth. Mm...

He could be salvaged via BEXP abuse or he might pick himself back up eventually.

If you don't feel like keeping Boyd, there's another axe alternative not too far off. He's another mounted unit. If you want a Warrior though, you're out of luck since Boyd's the only Fighter/Warrior.