The Resistance - Mafia-style game

Tables

Welcome to the rebel headquarters. It's come down to this. We still control Chalphy, Edda and Dozel, and we have plans to destroy the Grandbell Empire bases of Velthomer, Freege, and the Capital Barhara. We are currently enlisting agents to enact these plans. But we must be cautious, because there are a number of Grandbellian spys trying to infiltrate and sabotage our plans...

The Resistance is a game, similar to Mafia, in which there are a number of Empire spies (the mafia) among a group of Rebel agents (the town). Like mafia, the spies must hide their true identity and deceive the town in order to sabotage plans. Unlike mafia, there is no deaths of players, rather, bases will be destroyed as plans succeed or fail.

Basic gameplay:

• The game is split into phases and starts in the planning phase. At the start of each planning phase, a group leader is chosen from a cycle.
  • The group leader then allocates plans to a number of players. The number of plans will increase as the game progresses, meaning that more players must be trusted on each mission.
  • After plans have been allocated, everyone must vote on whether they are happy or not with the allocation of plans. If yes, then the game progresses to the mission, and if no, then the assignment fails, and the next player in the cycle gets to become the group leader and make an assignment.
  • Once the allocation has been approved, the mission starts. If any empire spies have plans, they have the chance to sabotage the plan, or to perform the plan. Any rebel agents MUST follow the plan - since that's what they're trying to do.
  • If everyone follows the plan, the mission is successful, and an empire base will be destroyed. If even one person sabotages the plan, it will fail, and an empire counterattack will destroy one of the rebel bases. The number of players sabotaging the plan will be announced and the game will go back into the planning phase.
  • Both sides have three bases. When the third one is destroyed, they lose the game and the other team wins.

That's the basic idea of the game. There are some other rules, though:

The first rebel plan will take three people to perform. The second takes four, and the final one takes six. This means that, even after a successful mission, you still have to choose who to send on the mission carefully.

Empire Spies will have a PM, like normal mafia games, but nobody else may commune via PM or outside the thread.

This game is for 9 players. There will be two spies, and seven agents. This is subject to change (I might go for 3/6, and obviously reduce the number of players on each plan accordingly). Also, you will notice that this means that all but one agent must be sent on the final mission for it to succeed.

Disclaimer: I have never played this game, and can't even find a complete ruleset. As such, I have improvised to fill in the blanks, and I make no guarantee that the game will be balanced. But I'll try.

This game needs 9 players, as I said. It will start after my insanity mini mafia is over.

Signups:

Psychout50

Lightning

Core

Darros

Balcerzak

Agent Dale Cooper

Proto

JB25

Weapons

9/9

Edited by I Eat Tables

Is that a signup?

Also, I forgot to mention, anyone doing anything that can be interpreted as trolling WILL get replaced. If there's anything that needs clarifying, please ask. Better here than during the game, but, meh.

I'd like to say that maybe the "town" should have one extra base, because they have to complete the plan perfectly and have a harder time completing it.

Though I might just be understanding this wrong.

Possibly. Basically the Town loses bases if they pick a spy to go on a mission (and the spy chooses to sabotage the mission). I think that, after two sabotaged missions, there's at least some indication of who the Spies might be, and who might not be a spy. I admit though, that there might be some guesswork, but really, elements of scumhunting and stuff are going to play into the game just like a normal mafia game, as well as deducing information from failed/successful missions.

Possibly. Basically the Town loses bases if they pick a spy to go on a mission (and the spy chooses to sabotage the mission). I think that, after two sabotaged missions, there's at least some indication of who the Spies might be, and who might not be a spy. I admit though, that there might be some guesswork, but really, elements of scumhunting and stuff are going to play into the game just like a normal mafia game, as well as deducing information from failed/successful missions.

Oh, I understood that incorrectly then. I thought that the leader picked townies to go on missions only and the mafia made their own missions to stop town missions.

And my insanity mafia to finish, which might be a week or more.

Edit: Uhm, I think I might need a Co-mod... I'm going away Wednesday week

Edited by I Eat Tables

That we do. Don't worry about bumping the game yet, this will be starting after my mafia game (and hopefully that'll end before Wednesday, since that's when I go away for 5 days)

I think I might have to postpone this until the start of next week. I'd rather make sure everyone's happy with the rules etc. when it starts. Although if Life is happy to start the game and run the first few rounds, then I guess that'd be fine, too.

I said I'd start it about now, so I will. Everyone will shortly get a PM with their alliance. You'll be asked to confirm in that by choosing an FE4 crusader for flavour purposes (first come, first served, and yes, this does mean you could have Celice as a member of the Empire or Julius as a member of the Resistance)

Edited by I Eat Tables