Dealing with Eltshan and the Cross Knights

Not really asking for advice because I've dealt with these assholes before. Although they're giving me hell right now.

Anyway, I figured I'd make this topic so people could share strategies for dealing with them. Draft/Ranked/Casual, any strategies apply.

Probably the one strategy I always use is to have Sigurd with the Thunder Sword sit on a Forest and tank the Javelins. I usually slap the Magic Ring on him as well so he can do more damage.

A high-leveled Ethlin with the Light Sword works equally well, especially if she's got the Pursuit Ring.

Things I'm looking to try are Hand Axe!Lex and maybe Levin on a Forest.

Also, kind of wondering people's strategies for getting Eltshan out of the way fastest with talking to him with Lachesis. It's tough because if she's unpromoted (I feel like this happens more often than not) she has less move, and the Cross Knights are almost always staying in some formation that blocks Eltshan. Any ideas for making this easier? Because I always have the most restarts at this part of the game. ._.

light sword dew in the forests out of eltshan's reach to draw the crossknights in

I remember having difficulty with this myself. Strategy I ended up using was having my units set up at the boundaries of their ranges to force their maximum movement, then focused on killing as many as I could on my turn (making sure 4 of my best units were set up so Sylvia could give them more kills). I also made sure Lachesis was in range to reach Eltshan right away. On the follow up turn, any remaining Cross Knights typically couldn't kill my units, so I finished them off on the next turn. You may need a few different saves to create a scenario that works for you (including one of before you seize the first castle.)

Usually my horsies run in and attack and canto a beeline through to Eltshan, and then if they haven't cleared the way then Sylvia dances them into another round. Lachesis usually HAS to be danced to get to Eltshan, though, so I only get 3 more attackers. Yes, it is a bitch. Your footsies can usually take down the first one or two cross knights to make things easier.

Edited by Agro

Give Levin a shitload of rings and place him so that all the knights sans Eltshan can reach him. Have Lachesis behind Levin for a boost. After he's done chipping, have your remaining knights with a little help from Sylvia wipe out the rest.

Lachesis is usually promoted by the end of chapter two for me, easier to get to Eltshan.

Edited by Kaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Let's see, I usually have promoted Fin and promoted Lex hold the main access to my main castle, while Cuan, promoted Midir, and promoted Levin hold the side cliff side by Fin and Lex, and I have promoted Lachesis just back enough where she can get Eltshan after Sylvia dances her and three other people, usually Fin, Lex, and Levin. As you can see, I like to grind characters up a lot.

I've heard only good things about that; but how high leveled does Dew have to be? I almost never have a decently leveled Dew in my party.

not very. it's one of the best ways to level dew in fact.

I send some mounts and anyone with Knight Ring to defeat anyone who blocks Eltshan. Then Lachesis talks. The Cross Knight's AI seems not to target Lachesis. Sylvia can dance the mounts/Knight Ring units to have them kill more dudes and weaken the enemy phase.

Without Eltshan, the Cross Knights are hardly a challenge imo.

The dominant strategy appears to be "put a 2-range dodgy unit there to wipe everyone out". I guess that's not surprising.

Also, the crossknights do target Lachesis. Not sure where their priorities are, but Lachesis > Sigurd at any rate.

The first thing I'd do, if I was remaking FE4, would be to make NPCs recognize certain PCs. Like Fury's squad against Levin. :facepalm:

And I think the point was Elty doesn't attack Lakky, but I can't confirm it since I've never tried using her against the Cross Knights.

Edited by Baldrick

Has anyone ever succeeded in killing Eltshan, just out of curiosity.

Yes, Alec with a Horseslayer did a fine job. He ate an attack EP, and then proceeded to finish Elty the next turn.

I've had Hero Sword Ayra to a pretty hefty chunk to Eltshan with Astra. That happened on my first playthrough when I wasn't aware that Lachesis could talk to him (because she died :O).

I'm pretty sure most draft teams end up killing him. If you don't have Lach drafted, getting her to talk to Eltshan without getting attacked by any of the Cross Knights is pretty difficult. Eltshan's not really that bad, the main problem is Critical on Mistoltin.

My last time through Ch.3 I had a promoted Noish hold the Magic Ring and the Thunder Sword (so 10 Magic as opposed to Sigurd's 5, assuming no magic level ups were obtained). Works just as well, but Noish is stronger. I'm guessing Alec can do the same as well.

Decently leveled Jamka can do it with a Killer Bow. Most decent-leveled 2 rangers with Critical and Pursuit/Continue could also do it. Or Sigurd.

I had little trouble killing him on my Sigurd/Celice solo.

Seeing how I'm on my first play through, hearing this makes go..."That's even possible!?"

But I used Promoted Fin on a tree with Speed, Skill, and Shield Rings with a Javelin. Killed everyone who got too close, and ate an attack from Eltshan long enough for Lachesis to talk to him.

Edited by Shun One

Seeing how I'm on my first play through, hearing this makes go..."That's even possible!?"

It is.

If you know what you're doing, Sigurd solo is easy. In that playthrough I forgot about the SKL ring for that fight and Light Sword for ranged enemies. Not sure about a Celice solo though, figured Arion would require too much luck to get past him.

Edited by Sirius