Best way to level up Donnel?

I seem to be having trouble getting Donnel to level up as he usually dies. I've heard he's a really good unit once you reclass him so I want to know, what's the best way to level up Donnel?

Weaken enemies down and have him finish them off, pair him up with someone who makes him actually able to strike and take a hit.

If you have the DLC use the EXP ones.

Let him finish off kills. In my lunatic run, I had to forge an amazing bronze lance so he could deal enough damage to finish. Truth be told, he's not particularly amazing considering the investment you put into him - you'd get much the same result by actually investing in Vaike or Gregor.

Let him finish off kills. In my lunatic run, I had to forge an amazing bronze lance so he could deal enough damage to finish. Truth be told, he's not particularly amazing considering the investment you put into him - you'd get much the same result by actually investing in Vaike or Gregor.

Was it named SHINTASTIC? :P

But yeah this is pretty accurate although theres no harm in using him.

Corner the archer in the upper left by the treasure chests. Pull him with Fredrick then surround him on 4 sides with 1 side being Donny. Keep smacking him with the bronze lance until he dies. Guaranteed level up.

It took me like 10 turns just to setup a kill for Donnel. That shit is not justified at all. Donnel is a net negative on your team. Just use someone else, anyone at all.

So much hate on the little tin boy. ,_,

Aptitude is a wonderful skill, both for him, and anyone who might inherit it.

On a run, it's great.

On a... Non-run, it's still great.

But as stated, the only problem is GETTING Donny to level up.

I suggest what Shin offered: Forge a Bronze Lance, and let him pick off enemies.

See, what I did on Casual Runs, and, at the beginning of Classic Levels I'd pair Donny off with Chrom, and with Dual Strike+, Chrom would finish the enemy off, rendering Donnel that XP, little it might've been.

And yes, I agree that it isn't a foolproof method. Thus why I did it at the beginning of a level, so I could reset.

I did a hard no-pair-up run and I managed to get Donnel going by having him finish off enemies (my team had various combinations of attack power which made it easy to damage enemies just enough that Donnel could kill them). First though, I gave him Tiki's tear, which really helped. I fed him most of the map and then trained him some more, and then once he hit mercenary. he was really useful for the rest of the run.

He needs defense, so tack Kellam on him. Frederick works too, but I don't think they could build a support. Streetpass teams can help too, but it would help to know what difficulty you're on. Lunatic streetpass provides a negligible amount of exp, but if you have DLC I would recommend exponential growth.

He needs defense, so tack Kellam on him. Frederick works too, but I don't think they could build a support. Streetpass teams can help too, but it would help to know what difficulty you're on. Lunatic streetpass provides a negligible amount of exp, but if you have DLC I would recommend exponential growth.

He needs speed too, at least at first, and Stahl does that better, and also provides a bit of Def.

Trap an archer in his recruitment chapter. Have him whack it so he levels up. After that, slap him on the girl you want him to marry for the class gains and Aptitude. After he reaches S support, put him back on the bench and let him rot there. Hes way too much effort to be arsed with.

The useful thing about Donnel is that he can sort of compete with the children character. Children come with good bases (if both parents used), good growths, and a low level. Allowing them to quickly over take the parents statwise. With the growths that Donnel gets he pretty much manages to keep up with the children. Unfortunately, he does not get their advantage of low level and quickly gain experience later on. Still interesting.

I dislike Donnel's character and name.

I actually really like using Donnel. But yeah what was stated before forge him a good bronze lance and pair up with a defender like Kellam or Frederick. On the map you get him there is an archer in the upper right corner if you can corner him with a couple of units so he can't move just let donnel poke away this will get him a round of battle exp and a kill exp then what I usually do is that I let him finish off the boss or pick off another unit like a archer.

I seem to be having trouble getting Donnel to level up as he usually dies. I've heard he's a really good unit once you reclass him so I want to know, what's the best way to level up Donnel?

Naming the avatar Donnel and killing the real one off.

I seem to be having trouble getting Donnel to level up as he usually dies.

For some reason I'm getting an impression of Donnel reaching 100 exp, but instead of the level up screen he gets a character death screen and it's oddly amusing.

Dying is also pretty much all Donnel is good for, by the way. He's never capable of pulling enough weight to justify the effort of getting him started- on Normal/Hard anyone can become a juggernaut with a little investment, on Lunatic(+) you have to train him during the hardest part of the game and he never gets a chance to compensate for all the broken weapons, boxed archers and fed kills, and during postgame/grinding where he's easy to raise he literally has both the worst caps and smallest class pool in the game.

Naming the avatar Donnel and killing the real one off.

*insert Insult to Rocks joke here*

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I'd offer advice, but I'm afraid Donnel really just isn't all that good for a person playing efficiently.

Due to his Aptitude skill, he'll be getting incredible level ups most of the time, but his bases are quite low, which means it takes him a while just to catch up, and, due to his low initial power level slowing the rate at which he gets kills and therefore EXP, he's probably not going to be worth it if you're doing a no grind/minimum grind run.

But then, if you're allowing yourself to grind, you can use basically anyone if you want to, so...

As for how to train him, I generally stick Kellam or Frederick on him and take the chapter slowly, sending Sully and Stahl to do away with the Thieves before they can get the treasure and having Donnel kill as many enemies as possible. I've actually gotten him up to level 5~6 in his joining chapter before, but I realize that not everyone wants to put up with doing that sort of thing for the sake of a character who isn't all that exceptional in the end.

I never use him, but I like to recruit everyone. I like to corner the upper left Archer and then have Donnel slowly kill it. If he doesn't have any sort of boost and no one else damages the Archer, it's enough for a full level up on Lunatic. Might not be enough on lower difficulties since the Archer dies faster, but it should still be most of a level.

One cool thing about Donnel in my opinion is that the uniform 20% boost means he doesn't really have any bad stats (in terms of growths, of course--bases are ALL bad stats). Not enough to redeem him, of course.

Dying is also pretty much all Donnel is good for, by the way. He's never capable of pulling enough weight to justify the effort of getting him started- on Normal/Hard anyone can become a juggernaut with a little investment, on Lunatic(+) you have to train him during the hardest part of the game and he never gets a chance to compensate for all the broken weapons, boxed archers and fed kills, and during postgame/grinding where he's easy to raise he literally has both the worse caps and smallest class pool in the game.

Worse than Anna?