Kaze-Kaze

Can't even reclass to Samurai -- he can go to Swordmaster though.

He should be fine though if you intend to be a Swordmaster for long term, consider using a boon/bane combo most suited for it.

Can't even reclass to Samurai -- he can go to Swordmaster though.

He should be fine though if you intend to be a Swordmaster for long term, consider using a boon/bane combo most suited for it.

Haha sorry that's what I meant. Ok so I'll go samurai and then I'll do Silas as a vanguard when that dlc comes out.

Since yours has +HP/-Luk it reminds me of Hinata. I think he'd benefit a lot from reclassing into Lodestar and snagging himself Speedtaker and perhaps Dancing Blade if it suits you before ending back on Swordmaster. A speedy tank Swordmaster sounds fun to me.

My Corrin's talent is Samurai and has +Luk/-Res. I was thinking that perhaps Skill would have been a better boon though. I'm okay with not choosing strength because I can alleviate that shortcoming with upgraded equipment.

Since yours has +HP/-Luk it reminds me of Hinata. I think he'd benefit a lot from reclassing into Lodestar and snagging himself Speedtaker and perhaps Dancing Blade if it suits you before ending back on Swordmaster. A speedy tank Swordmaster sounds fun to me.

My Corrin's talent is Samurai and has +Luk/-Res. I was thinking that perhaps Skill would have been a better boon though. I'm okay with not choosing strength because I can alleviate that shortcoming with upgraded equipment.

I see where you come from but my Lodestar has been used on Ryoma.

I see where you come from but my Lodestar has been used on Ryoma.

That is unfortunate. It is a real shame we can't get any more than just that 1 set of Hero and Exalt's brand. :(

In that case concentrate on that tankiness. Does this build interest you?

Equipment set: Yato/Spirit Katana (Equip when extra HP regen is needed)

Skill set:

Renewal (From Great Master class or purchased from someone)

Swordfaire (From Swordmaster)

Rend Heaven (From Basara or Purchased)/Sol (but for some reason it feels better not having it to better focus on dropping HP bars to zero)

Seal Speed (From Spear Master)

Seal Defence (From Spear Fighter)

I haven't come across any Corrins online with Seal Speed or Defence yet. Always quixotic, rend heaven, etc.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

That is unfortunate. It is a real shame we can't get any more than just that 1 set of Hero and Exalt's brand. :(

In that case concentrate on that tankiness. Does this build interest you?

Equipment set: Yato/Spirit Katana (Equip when extra HP regen is needed)

Skill set:

Renewal (From Great Master class or purchased from someone)

Swordfaire (From Swordmaster)

Rend Heaven (From Basara or Purchased)

Seal Speed (From Spear Master)

Seal Defence (From Spear Fighter)

I haven't come across any Corrins online with Seal Speed or Defence yet. Always quixotic, rend heaven, etc.

I like this! I'll search around for some of those skills.

This is quite the fortunate thread for me. How would +Str/-Def Samurai work out? Since someone mentioned it, what chapter (in Hoshido) will I be able to switch his class?

Heart seals are in the base level rod shop

Well right now I have +Spd/-Res Swordmaster Corrin, but she's horribly overlevelled compared to everything. Current skill set I'm running is less focused on actually being OP and more on just looking cool.

Nobility (because obligatory EXP boost skill)

Replicate (bought from another castle)

Renewal (A supported Sakura for Priestess)

Astra (bought from another castle, even though I'm currently Swordmaster)

Rend Heaven (A supported Oboro for Basara)

I'll probably buy Hoshidan Unity off of some random castle because I actually hate Hoshido Noble's outfit. The -Res does seriously hurt though, despite Swordmaster's pretty good Res.

This is quite the fortunate thread for me. How would +Str/-Def Samurai work out? Since someone mentioned it, what chapter (in Hoshido) will I be able to switch his class?

Seems like a standard glass cannon build. Since Samurai have rather high Skill perhaps you'd benefit with Pavise to cover for your poor Def.

I can't think of a solid build for this because it's open to many options but I'm thinking it'd be good to have Hinata's Katana on hand for the rare times Yato isn't enough. Consider equipping Shurikenbreaker to increase the chances of evading those pesky debuff ninjas. Renewal is probably every Corrin's best friend.

Well right now I have +Spd/-Res Swordmaster Corrin, but she's horribly overlevelled compared to everything. Current skill set I'm running is less focused on actually being OP and more on just looking cool.

Nobility (because obligatory EXP boost skill)

Replicate (bought from another castle)

Renewal (A supported Sakura for Priestess)

Astra (bought from another castle, even though I'm currently Swordmaster)

Rend Heaven (A supported Oboro for Basara)

I'll probably buy Hoshidan Unity off of some random castle because I actually hate Hoshido Noble's outfit. The -Res does seriously hurt though, despite Swordmaster's pretty good Res.

I like this build as well.

How is non-spd boon Corrin's speed as a swordmaster compared to other equivalent units? I mean, I don't really know numbers or anything, but based on most growths of him I've seen, I would be afraid he might end up a little on the slow and bulky side.

How is non-spd boon Corrin's speed as a swordmaster compared to other equivalent units? I mean, I don't really know numbers or anything, but based on most growths of him I've seen, I would be afraid he might end up a little on the slow and bulky side.

Honestly, if you're going swordmaster, don't pick the speed boon. It's utterly overkill, BR enemies are often on the slow and bulky side and unless you go full on -speed you'll have enough speed to double everything and not give a fuck. I ran +Str -Res for BR Lunatic as a swordmaster and never had doubling issues--but the power is a lot more welcome. To put into perspective, I did not need Hexing Rod to OTKO the final boss on Lunatic because my team had a lot of killing power, and this is with no grind. Use pairup and tonics wisely, if need be. Birthright is full of speed pairups.

Something bulkier like Cav or Wyvern might benefit more from speed, since it's a slower class and you'll actually have to worry about doubling thresholds.

Unless you really hate defense and really like glass cannons or something, bulk is...not a bad thing? With appropriate pairups (GK Siegbert), tonics, rallies, etc, I had a 37 speed, 40 defense Ninja Corn in Conquest 26 and that was clutch as fuck. Speed and bulk aren't mutually exclusive of each other.

Also i checked averages---a Corn reclassed to Samurai at level 10 running the +str -res build ends with similar defensive parameters to Ryoma--you beat him by roughly 1 def and he beats you by 4 hp and a bit more res. It's roughly even. Of course he uses vantage better than you forever, so that's not really a competition.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like this build as well.

I just want to note however that the whole reason I went +Spd/-Res is because "Quick" and "Excitable" seemed to go hand-in-hand.

Edited by FlameUser64

I'm entertaining the idea of a +HP/-Spd Wary Samurai with a build similar to the one I suggested earlier.

Equipment: Yato/Sunrise Katana/Spirit Katana

Equipped Skills (all of which can be purchased from someone online):

Astra (from Swordmaster)

Renewal (from Great Master)

Wary Fighter (from General)

Seal Defense (from Spear Fighter)

Seal Speed (from Spear Master)

Wary Fighter is the star in this build with Astra for that chance to hit 5 times while any other enemy without Astra will only have one chance to hit. And if you can't land a kill the enemy will always come out weaker out of it making it easier for other allies to pick off. Renewal and Spirit Katana is here to help keep this Swordmaster on the field.

This is the perfect build I have in mind for Hinata with Sunrise Katana as a main to add onto the natural avoid bonus of the Swordmaster class but it's not so simple for him to acquire Renewal, Wary Fighter, and the Seal abilities in one play through.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

I'm entertaining the idea of a +HP/-Spd Wary Samurai with a build similar to the one I suggested earlier.

Equipment: Yato/Sunrise Katana/Spirit Katana

Equipped Skills (all of which can be purchased from someone online):

Astra (from Swordmaster)

Renewal (from Great Master)

Wary Fighter (from General)

Seal Defense (from Spear Fighter)

Seal Speed (from Spear Master)

Wary Fighter is the star in this build with Astra for that chance to hit 5 times while any other enemy without Astra will only have one chance to hit. And if you can't land a kill the enemy will always come out weaker out of it making it easier for other allies to pick off. Renewal and Spirit Katana is here to help keep this Swordmaster on the field.

This is the perfect build I have in mind for Hinata with Sunrise Katana as a main to add onto the natural avoid bonus of the Swordmaster class but it's not so simple for him to acquire Renewal, Wary Fighter, and the Seal abilities in one play through.

Im failing to see why you want to gimp the whole point of being a samurai/swordmaster by using wary fighter, barely anyone is going to double attack you when you have high speed stat, wary fighter is better on chars with average/below par speed stats so wary fighter becomes moot at this point.

Im failing to see why you want to gimp the whole point of being a samurai/swordmaster by using wary fighter, barely anyone is going to double attack you when you have high speed stat, wary fighter is better on chars with average/below par speed stats so wary fighter becomes moot at this point.

For fun really and I'm not that fond of following what the crowd does every time. I just tried this build on my Corrin and defeated Garon on Birthright on lunatic/classic no problem following everything in that build except (+HP/-Spd since I usually stick to +Luk/-Res) with just Ryoma and Silas along to aid me so I don't see any issue with gimping speed here. What you see is me lowering speed, a stat that I too know is of absolute importance to a Swordmaster. But to me equipping Wary Fighter simply eliminates the speed stat from any battle the unit who has it equipped is actively involved in. "Time to even the odds!" as Morgan would say.

When I made this build I didn't take an imaginary unit and compare him to the enemy units in the story who are always meant to be wiped out. I compared him to his allies because I'm imagining battling against other real people who also have equally strong units.

I had this build in mind for Hinata specifically since I noticed people at Reddit pointing out his generally low growths in the typical areas Samurai should excel, basically suggesting he should be benched in favor of other units who could pull the role off better. But when I see a character I like I usually want to make them shine as best as they can and in this case I tried to separate Hinata from the other possible Samurai allies who favor and excel in speed better than he can by, as I stated previously, rendering that stat irrelevant in any battle he's involved in and by making him the tanky swordsman he was always meant to be. Teleport enthusiasts and Master emblem hackers still don't need to sweat however because even with speed out of the equation there is still Def, Atk, Skills, and the number of enemies he'd have to contend with. He may survive one hit from an enemy or two but thats probably it.

For fun really and I'm not that fond of following what the crowd does every time. I just tried this build on my Corrin and defeated Garon on Birthright on lunatic/classic no problem following everything in that build except (+HP/-Spd since I usually stick to +Luk/-Res) with just Ryoma and Silas along to aid me so I don't see any issue with gimping speed here. What you see is me lowering speed, a stat that I too know is of absolute importance to a Swordmaster. But to me equipping Wary Fighter simply eliminates the speed stat from any battle the unit who has it equipped is actively involved in. "Time to even the odds!" as Morgan would say.

When I made this build I didn't take an imaginary unit and compare him to the enemy units in the story who are always meant to be wiped out. I compared him to his allies because I'm imagining battling against other real people who also have equally strong units.

I had this build in mind for Hinata specifically since I noticed people at Reddit pointing out his generally low growths in the typical areas Samurai should excel, basically suggesting he should be benched in favor of other units who could pull the role off better. But when I see a character I like I usually want to make them shine as best as they can and in this case I tried to separate Hinata from the other possible Samurai allies who favor and excel in speed better than he can by, as I stated previously, rendering that stat irrelevant in any battle he's involved in and by making him the tanky swordsman he was always meant to be. Teleport enthusiasts and Master emblem hackers still don't need to sweat however because even with speed out of the equation there is still Def, Atk, Skills, and the number of enemies he'd have to contend with. He may survive one hit from an enemy or two but thats probably it.

reddit isnt wrong about hinata not being a swordmaster growth char, but you dont need to listen to them about benching, if you like X char, use X char. I just find having a Wary fighter for someone who does double attacks more often than being double, strange and more of a skill that nerfs Hinata. just adding my 2 cents. Though if your making speed moot in a fight then, why be a swordmaster to begin with and switch to hero?

Edited by CometChaserPleinair