The Lunatic Club

Shinori

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skirmishes in Lunatic become almost impossible after about chapter 10 i think it is.

And past chapter 15 they are basically not doable. Unless you nosferatank maybe.

The exception is that around chapter 23-ish if you can get over caps(with enough Pair-Up Bonuses) and Rally skills you can just about beat the skirmishes(depending on the location and types of enemies that spawn at that point) due to the fewer number of enemies than chapter 23 even though they are stronger.

Edited by arvilino

I found Ch. 6 and Ch. 10 pretty easy. Ch. 10 enemies are nearly all axe users who will have terrible hit on anyone on your team that has a sword, since their hit has actually gone down since Prologue axe users.

The exception is that around chapter 23-ish if you can get over caps(with enough Pair-Up Bonuses) and Rally skills you can just about beat the skirmishes(depending on the location and types of enemies that spawn at that point) due to the fewer number of enemies than chapter 23 even though they are stronger.

You could actually just do it with someone that has a good skill and the sol talent. Maybe life taker as well.

I've got something I plan on trying in my next lunatic run.

Finished my Hard run earlier, so I'm returning to Lunatic yet again. As of the end of Ch2, I've taken 38 turns, but in exchange for moving slowly and deliberately, I've managed to avoid needing any resets so far. Wonder how long I can keep this up... it's better than my Hard run was as of this point, hahaha.

Just beat Lunatic Casual, starting on Lunatic Classic. I'm dreading chapter 2 and 3.

The chapter I dreaded the most was Chapter 5.

Chrom and Sumia were doubled on a fort. The two bandits/barbarians hit with a 15% twice in a row. Safe to say I got a game over.

The chapter I dreaded the most was Chapter 5.

Chrom and Sumia were doubled on a fort. The two bandits/barbarians hit with a 15% twice in a row. Safe to say I got a game over.

This is the chapter I'm currently on in my Lunatic/Classic run. Those Nosferatu using dark mages and the Dracoknights that fly down from the start are giving me a bit of trouble.

This is the chapter I'm currently on in my Lunatic/Classic run. Those Nosferatu using dark mages and the Dracoknights that fly down from the start are giving me a bit of trouble.

Frederick was able to dodge the Dark Mage coming from the North pretty consistently during when I was forced to restart...

However, that mage was another story. Basically you have to rush and bait the regular mage down to the bottom left and kill him. Otherwise, Frederick and Kellam was able to handle themselves on the right choke point with a couple of vulneraries.

The problem with my crappy strategic skills is that I didn't have a solid plan for baiting the Dracoknights besides rushing Chrom and Sumia to the middle left fort with Chrom equipped with the Falchion.

Any more experienced players help out here? I'm not exactly the one of the better people to be asking for advice on Lunatic Mode.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Frederick was able to dodge the Dark Mage coming from the North pretty consistently during when I was forced to restart...

However, that mage was another story. Basically you have to rush and bait the regular mage down to the bottom left and kill him. Otherwise, Frederick and Kellam was able to handle themselves on the right choke point with a couple of vulneraries.

The problem with my crappy strategic skills is that I didn't have a solid plan for baiting the Dracoknights besides rushing Chrom and Sumia to the middle left fort with Chrom equipped with the Falchion.

Any more experienced players help out here? I'm not exactly the one of the better people to be asking for advice on Lunatic Mode.

How I handled Ch5 is probably not very applicable to anyone else, because it relied on my 2 use Silver Lance breaking on Enemy Phase 1 (Silver Lance + Vaike Dual Strike kills Fighter, Silver Lance OHKOs merc) in time for Fred to use the javelin to ORKO the Dark Mage (make sure to wait far enough south so the DM is not on the fort for +Def). It could probably be modified to just having the javelin, and then dealing with the other chumps later, though to be perfectly honest.

The rest of the first turn was Lon'qu (pocket Sumia) taking the lower Fighter, and Chrom + FeMU (or maybe the other way around) taking the Swordman + other Fighter.

Turn 2 involved cleaning up the remains and destroying the Mage from the west with extreme prejudice, while Fred retreated just far enough south to have a Sword up for one of the incoming wyverns.

My strategy was rushing Chrom + FeMu over to the far west fort with Falchion, while everyone else retreated and huddled to the lower-right as necessary to deal with the wyverns. Stahl and Fred were the front-line tankish types, Lon'qu helped when needed with that.

I believe I was fielding Lon'qu (pocket Sumia), Stahl, Lissa (required because Rescue), Virion, Fred (pocket Vaike), Chrom, FeMU.

What I did was grou up Maribelle and Ricken in the only safe spot, trade Mari's stuff to Ricken, and on the next down, move her down--then I used Florina from Spotpass to save Ricken while letting Maribelle die because that's how I play lol. To make sure there's a safe spot for that one turn where Florina picks up Ricken though, you gotta kill the units on the nearest cliff, to the right-ish. that's where I sent Frederick, and I used tsome weapon triangle/forest defense for the guys on the left and then spent like 10 minutes figuring out which combination of units would let me take out the most enemies without losing my own guys (since most people can't take more than one hit). Put up Fred with a Javelin and use Florina as a decoy as necessary because lol suicide decoy. Make sure no one has the potential to get doubled or else it's almost a guaranteed one-round. Prep for reinforcements, it took me a few losses before I beat it (well several) but I also learned when/where reinforcements came from so it helped. Don't go in too far because you'll have plenty a hard time defending, but try to get Fred to the cliff above but to the left near the fort, and heal as necessary, waiting for the boss (make sure to have a sword). Run around and hide in the forest and slowly take care of the Dracoknights while healing, the boss shouldn't be able to kill Fred so if he keeps attacking Fred it should be okay (unless you put Fred at a WTD, then he could be trouble). Eventually, have Fred fight the boss and take him out, then take out the units that don't move until you aggro them or w/e on the 3rd-ish cliff.

Note that while I mentioned Fred a lot, he's paired up with someone and is more or less just tanking. If you have any units that give a resistance boost, that's helpful, for sure, but tbh most of my kills that chapter went to Avatar and Chrom, with Ricken dealing some nice damage to the fliers with Elwind--thing is he gets one-shotted so you have to make sure if he attacks, he won't get counterattacked, either on that attack or on the next turn. Planning out moves ahead of time and seeing potential threats a turn or two beforehand is essential, IMO, especially when it comes down to finding that puzzle-like positioning (and everyone's puzzle might be a little different, but the fact is, at times, there's only so many moves you can make where you have a decent chance of surviving... and sometimes it just comes to luck XD)

Heh, had to reset twice in Ch3. So much for that.

I came up with some stuff that was pretty effective on Ch5 on past runs, but I'll need to get back to it before I can remember much detail about what really works and what doesn't. So if you're still stuck tomorrow, I can come up with something.

Actually, I could probably do with a little advice myself. I'm about to go into Ch13, and I'm thinking of using some Seals (just because I have them, and it's probably a good idea.

My team is:

Chrom (19 Lord/2 Great Lord) his wife FeMu (19 Tactician/17 Grandmaster)

Fred (10 Great Knight) his wife Panne (16 Taguel)

Lon'qu (12 Myrmidon) his wife Cordelia (12 Peg Knight)

Stahl (13 Cav) his wife Sully (13 Cav)

Libra (4 War Monk) his intended Tharja (15 Dark Mage) [Currently B support]

Nowi (9 Manakete) her intended Gregor (10 Merc) [Currently A support]

Acceptable Filler:

Olivia (Dancer 2)

Anna (Trickster 1)

Maribell (Troubadour 7)

Lissa (Cleric 14)

Useless trash:

Gaius (Thief 5)

Virion (Archer 4)

Ricken (Mage 3)

Sumia (Peg Knight 3)

Kellam (Knight 5)

Vaike (Fighter 4)

Donnel (Villager 2)

Miriel (Mage 1)

My initial inclination is Change Seal FeMu to Dark Flier, Master Seal Tharja to Dark Knight, Master Seal Cordelia (??) to Falcoknight (for more Staves, I found myself almost dangerously short on healing last chapter because I forgot to bring Olivia/Anna). Then as more Master Seals flow in in the following chapters (I'm too much of a penny-pincher to spring for them out-of-pocket) I was thinking the order would be Lon'qu Swordmaster, Stahl Paladin, Sully Great Knight. I'm not actually using Gregor aside from his permanent +Spd boost to Nowi, and he'll probably be discarded after S-support reached/she can fend for herself. I'd really like to get Cherche (she made a good first impression) and Olivia (dancers are always useful) on the team, but there's very little room for cutting other people out yet. Cherche will probably pair with Henry if I ever get enough space on my team. I've sort of given up on Lissa, Maribelle, Miriel, or Sumia getting husbands, as they're pretty much deadweight at this point. Olivia too now that I think of it, as I'm also short on eligible bachelors that don't suck.

I guess, what I'm asking is how bad a choice is it to not buy extra Seals, is promoting now the right choice, are my promotion priorities/paths decent?

Edited by Balcerzak

Yeah, you want to use Master Seals when you can.

Be careful about MU, though. Dark Flier is high risk, high reward. There are a lot of bows and wind magic in the game, and they'll do enormous damage to any flier, even MU. If your team is centralized around MU, which yours apparently somehow is even more than mine was, that's going to be a huge problem.

I haven't tried Dark Flier MU in midgame on any difficulty, so I can't say for sure, but while it could be effective, I suggest being very cautious, especially with how unbalanced your levels are.

Well it wasn't so much the Dark Mages as it was the constant Dracoknights. Though I finally finished the map after quite a few resets. Fortunately I was able to get over to the bottom left fort in time to stop that one Dark Mage from coming out. Some misses prevented me from doing this in previous runs. The boss himself wasn't too bad, it's just surviving the early waves of enemies that makes this map so annoying. The rescue staff is such a life saver!

My initial inclination is Change Seal FeMu to Dark Flier

I'd go Sorc instead just because of Nosferatu, but I'm not at that point yet (doing paralogue 1 and trying to recruit Donny just for completions' sake; also wow chapter 5 is going to suck with those wyverns eventually arriving).

But yeah in general mostly promote units at 10 base and change at 15 promoted, especially the promotions... you want those promotion gains. Other than that I can't really advise.

My initial inclination is Change Seal FeMu to Dark Flier, Master Seal Tharja to Dark Knight, Master Seal Cordelia (??) to Falcoknight (for more Staves, I found myself almost dangerously short on healing last chapter because I forgot to bring Olivia/Anna). Then as more Master Seals flow in in the following chapters (I'm too much of a penny-pincher to spring for them out-of-pocket) I was thinking the order would be Lon'qu Swordmaster, Stahl Paladin, Sully Great Knight. I'm not actually using Gregor aside from his permanent +Spd boost to Nowi, and he'll probably be discarded after S-support reached/she can fend for herself. I'd really like to get Cherche (she made a good first impression) and Olivia (dancers are always useful) on the team, but there's very little room for cutting other people out yet. Cherche will probably pair with Henry if I ever get enough space on my team. I've sort of given up on Lissa, Maribelle, Miriel, or Sumia getting husbands, as they're pretty much deadweight at this point. Olivia too now that I think of it, as I'm also short on eligible bachelors that don't suck.

Although she starts with an awful E rank in axes, Panne eventually becomes a much better Wyvern Rider than Cherche does IMO, largely because of Wyvern Panne's 70% growth rate in Spd compared to Wyvern Cherche's (not too sure about this) ~50%. The armored units in the next five or so chapters are rather weak, so you won't really miss Cherche's Hammer usage. Plus, Beastbuster ought to make it easy to train Panne, though I might expect it to be overkill after a while since she'll eventually ORKO a lot of things as a Wyvern with or without it. Using a Second Seal on Panne right now has the added benefit of not forcing out another member of your team to accommodate Cherche.

Dark Flier...probably helps a lot in the last few chapters, most of which are assassination missions: Chs 19, 20, 21, 24 (not an assassination, but it's lategame nonetheless and features a lot of forest tiles that a Dark Flier could cruise over), 25, and especially the Final chapter are all made much easier with a high-movement Avatar. But like Othin said, it might be kind of risky since your Avatar is going to be your go-to unit. I suggest reclassing to Sorcerer for the short term primarily for the Tomebreaker skill (+50 hit/avoid against tome-wielding enemies), which not only helps you dodge-tank tome users, but also allows a subsequent transition to Dark Flier to be more feasible by helping against Wind magic. Given that my own Avatar was at similar levels at that point in my playthrough, I would expect your Avatar to reach Tactician 19/Grandmaster 17/next class 15 pretty shortly, certainly before Chapter 19, making a Grandmaster->Sorceror->Dark Flier progression worth considering.

I haven't used many of the units you're currently training, so I can't say too much about them. However, looking at the levels Chrom and Avatar have, Lucina (ideally you'd get her Avatar's Veteran skill) and Morgan (Rally Rainbow) ought to be really good. Although my own Morgan never saw a lick of combat, I still fielded her all the time just for Rally Rainbow and would have had a much harder time without her, and I would imagine yours could also function as a capable combat unit on top of that. For this reason, you might want to consider making room for Morgan at least.

Edited by Redwall

Although she starts with an awful E rank in axes, Panne eventually becomes a much better Wyvern Rider than Cherche does IMO, largely because of Wyvern Panne's 70% growth rate in Spd compared to Wyvern Cherche's (not too sure about this) ~50%. The armored units in the next five or so chapters are rather weak, so you won't really miss Cherche's Hammer usage. Plus, Beastbuster ought to make it easy to train Panne, though I might expect it to be overkill after a while since she'll eventually ORKO a lot of things as a Wyvern with or without it. Using a Second Seal on Panne right now has the added benefit of not forcing out another member of your team to accommodate Cherche.

I thought the main site said Beastbane only applies when unit is in taguel form. That's also kind of what the touchscreen tooltip implies. I also lose some pretty sexy +6 Spd bonuses for Fred when they're paired up by sending her Wyvern, though he probably would not mind it being translated into additional +6 Def instead. More tank for the tank god. It would certainly allow her to fill a different role on the main team though, so there is that.

Dark Flier...probably helps a lot in the last few chapters, most of which are assassination missions: Chs 19, 20, 21, 24 (not an assassination, but it's lategame nonetheless and features a lot of forest tiles that a Dark Flier could cruise over), 25, and especially the Final chapter are all made much easier with a high-movement Avatar. But like Othin said, it might be kind of risky since your Avatar is going to be your go-to unit. I suggest reclassing to Sorcerer for the short term primarily for the Tomebreaker skill (+50 hit/avoid against tome-wielding enemies), which not only helps you dodge-tank tome users, but also allows a subsequent transition to Dark Flier to be more feasible by helping against Wind magic. Given that my own Avatar was at similar levels at that point in my playthrough, I would expect your Avatar to reach Tactician 19/Grandmaster 17/next class 15 pretty shortly, certainly before Chapter 19, making a Grandmaster->Sorceror->Dark Flier progression worth considering.

That's an interesting idea, actually. I've heard a lot of people recommend Sorc for Nosferatu, but I never really find myself using that on Tharja (it's at 20 uses I believe), and wasn't planning on using it on Avatar either. But going Sorc for Tomebreaker to avoid wind magic... maybe I'll keep two files and try a few out a few different things.

I haven't used many of the units you're currently training, so I can't say too much about them. However, looking at the levels Chrom and Avatar have, Lucina (ideally you'd get her Avatar's Veteran skill) and Morgan (Rally Rainbow) ought to be really good. Although my own Morgan never saw a lick of combat, I still fielded her all the time just for Rally Rainbow and would have had a much harder time without her, and I would imagine yours could also function as a capable combat unit on top of that. For this reason, you might want to consider making room for Morgan at least.

I honestly haven't really looked into how inheritance works, so I'm not sure if Lucina will get Veteran or not. Maybe I need to do some research.

So I managed to beat Lunatic classic after many hours. I'm considering doing Lunatic+, but I'm wondering how much more difficult it is. I didn't need to grind (except for about five Risen before the last chapter for some money) or use Sorcerers to beat regular Lunatic, will I need to do any of that to beat Lunatic+? I don't want to use DLC if I don't have to.

From what I heard from the people definitely more experienced than me is that it is doable... it's just that the random skills the enemies get is stupid.

Like, what Paperblade said in an earlier post, they just didn't feel the need to keep resetting until the random skill sets were actually not completely stupid.

It's like an uphill battle where the incline changes slightly on different points depending on your luck.

On my second Lunatic run through!

The first time I just had Fred/Chrom solo everything. I was extremely lucky with shops granting early master seals, so that made the early game extremely easy. My best decision was getting luna + aether on chrom. It was silly how simple it was after that.

This time around I'm focusing on other options and characters

Heh, had to reset twice in Ch3. So much for that.

I came up with some stuff that was pretty effective on Ch5 on past runs, but I'll need to get back to it before I can remember much detail about what really works and what doesn't. So if you're still stuck tomorrow, I can come up with something.

I have a solution, I'm currently working on a Lunatic walkthrough and chapter 5. I think it's probably similar to your method because if I remember it involves saving both Ricken and Maribelle with out a Rescue Staff use.

Probably first thing you'll notice when you start this chapter is Ricken and Maribelle's position, both start in spots where they are killed by enemies and can't reach your team safely by themselves. So the goal here is saving them before enemies can reach them

There are two strategies to solve this. I'd recommend going with the first one as the 2nd uses a currently rare resource from the Paralogue.

1)Field Frederick and Sumia, Frederick moves forward and kills the Myrmidon freeing open the path for Maribelle to reach him to “Pair-Up”. Sumia moves to a safe spot at the cliff(just before the sparkle) and Ricken moves to Pair-Up with her.

2)Rescue Staff, if you do S1 first you should have the Rescue staff you can have Ricken Pair-Up with Maribelle, have Maribelle move as far south as possible and have Lissa Rescue the pair.

On the same turn you'll want to move Lon'Qu(equipped with the Killing Edge) w/ Chrom into the forest tile in range of the Axe users, he should be fast enough to Pair-Up the Barbarians/Fighters and a critical will allow him to kill the Barbarians and his evasion should be high enough for him to avoid both Barbarians and the Dark Mage, the Myrmidon will probably hit but it won't be fatal.

Placing Virion or any unit behind Frederick you can take Mariabelle off his hands in order to Pair-Up another unit with him(though the Troubadour boosts aren't bad so it's not necessary but you want Frederick with at least 16 speed to Double the DracoKnights), but it will also make the Dark Mage attack Virion instead of Frederick allowing Frederick to go on the fort and kill the Dark Mage Next turn. From this Position Frederick should draw most of the enemies from the map protecting your regular units. Once there are just the Mage and Myrmidons remaining Frederick should OHKO the Mage with a Silver Lance.

On Turn 3, 2 Barbarians will appear from the Fort West of your starting position and the Fort North of that. They can be blocked with a Unit on the Fort(though the northernmost Barbarian drops a Hand Axe), Lon'Qu on the South Western most one should easily avoid the attack from the Northern one.

Turn 4 Dracoknights come from the Top Left forts and turn 5 a Myrmidon appears from the same fort the Hand Axe Barbarian comes from. Position Frederick so that he's out of range of the Dracoknights already on the map(getting in range of one triggers all of them including the Boss to start moving) and Position units so that you can defeat the Dracoknight reinforcements in one turn and survive the Myrmidon reinforcement without getting characters in range of the original Draco's.

Finally we want to deal with the remaining enemies, the foot units don't move so save them until last. Position units so that characters who can survive the Dracoknights take a hit and counter and the rest of your force is around to defeat them on the next player phase.

The last 3 enemies shouldn't be a problem at this point as there are no more reinforcements. Have Frederick defeat them all or draw them out to be defeated by your other units.

I really recommend against having guides suggest using Frederick for areas where he is obviously not needed (such as killing the Barbarian/Merc/Dark Mage at the top of Ch. 5), especially since Ch. 5 is where you should be starting to phase Frederick out of your team.