MarkyJoe1990's Fire Emblem Hack Reviews (Video Series)

MarkyJoe1990

Hey! Parrhesia! Remember how you accused me of having a melt down in a video where I didn't actually have a meltdown?

DIRECT THAT COMMENT TO THIS VIDEO

I thought the writing in this game couldn't get any worse, but it did, and it did HARD.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol what meltdown seemed like a casual lp to me

What Ghast said. I assumed it to be a bit of typical LP comedic dramatization.

Sad that this hack never ran its full course.

Hey! Parrhesia! Remember how you accused me of having a melt down in a video where I didn't actually have a meltdown?

DIRECT THAT COMMENT TO THIS VIDEO

f18562eda13e77bcd4e10b8d809f2ef7.png

But like why is it a motif? Seems really weird, no offence

I just like to use Reisen for post-commentary tidbits and transitions. It used to be a running gag for me to do "Sexy Reisen Transitions", which started with my first playthrough of Dream of Five, but I've sort of stopped doing those. Edited by MarkyJoe1990

But they're usually so abrupt and last a few seconds so it seems a bit unnecessary

Ah well to each his own I guess

and you know it's bad when PARRHESIA calls you out for having a meltdown

yeah I just read it,I didn't know it was Markyjoe's time of the month :<

Every time I LP a hack made by this community, it's my time of the month. I wish people would make hacks that kept the story simple and basic and focused primarily on creative, well balanced level design. Most of these hacks are just trying to be the equivalent of a new "commercial quality" Fire Emblem game and keep falling on their arses.

yo Markyjoe, lp Bioshock

Never played it. What kinda game is it?

Every time I LP a hack made by this community, it's my time of the month. I wish people would make hacks that kept the story simple and basic and focused primarily on creative, well balanced level design. Most of these hacks are just trying to be the equivalent of a new "commercial quality" Fire Emblem game and keep falling on their arses.

But bro, it's just a game. There's no raisin to get so worked up :P:

Never played it. What kinda game is it?

FPS

I agree with your opinion, I like when people have creative minds and good attention to detail on things. I think that nearly each chapter of a fire emblem hack should require a different strategy to beat it instead of people simply being able to solo rush maps with one powerful character. Like, when one decides to make a map, think it out well and create it in a way that would encourage you to use certain tactics that may be more effective on that map while using other tactics wouldn't work well. It should also have most of your units involved instead of only needing 4/13 of them to beat a map. Some people either just try too hard to design something good and it turns out not so well, or they simply don't put any effort in it at all. The same would apply to the story.

But bro, it's just a game. There's no raisin to get so worked up :P:

What I want is a brighter future for the FE hacking community. The more I see bad or mediocre hacks get popular, the more I fear that people will use these as the... er... "standard" for which they should aspire to imitate. Just imagine a world where multiple hacks try to imitate Dream of Five's hideously large maps. THAT is something I don't want to happen.

Now with all that said and done however... I am admittedly over the top in my videos. One reason why is because I'm very passionate about FE hacking, and the other is that... well... I'm kind of a stoic guy in real life, with a couple of problems, so acting crazy in my videos is kind of a way for me to expel whatever bottled up feelings I have.

FPS

Eeeeeeeehhhhh. Not a big fan of FPSes.

I agree with your opinion, I like when people have creative minds and good attention to detail on things. I think that nearly each chapter of a fire emblem hack should require a different strategy to beat it instead of people simply being able to solo rush maps with one powerful character. Like, when one decides to make a map, think it out well and create it in a way that would encourage you to use certain tactics that may be more effective on that map while using other tactics wouldn't work well. It should also have most of your units involved instead of only needing 4/13 of them to beat a map. Some people either just try too hard to design something good and it turns out not so well, or they simply don't put any effort in it at all. The same would apply to the story.

Based on the popularity of Dream of Five and Elibean Nights, I feel the path we are heading down is one of mediocre story telling and design. Though, Elibean Nights at least tries to break the mold, gameplay wise, even if it doesn't work like it should. And I'll at least give Dream of Five credit for being competently written enough to be taken seriously, even if the story isn't very compelling.

Based on the popularity of Dream of Five and Elibean Nights, I feel the path we are heading down is one of mediocre story telling and design. Though, Elibean Nights at least tries to break the mold, gameplay wise, even if it doesn't work like it should. And I'll at least give Dream of Five credit for being competently written enough to be taken seriously, even if the story isn't very compelling.

Recall that I offered you the opportunity to fix my "mediocre design." You've been criticizing my project for a while, and I gave you the chance to fix a tale and put it up for a vote which design the community preferred. You backed down.

And Elibean? Really? Why does everyone feel the need to botch my project's name?

Edited by Arch

Recall that I offered you the opportunity to fix my "mediocre design." You've been criticizing my project for a while, and I gave you the chance to fix a tale and put it up for a vote which design the community preferred. You backed down.

And Elibean? Really? Why does everyone feel the need to botch my project's name?

Yes. I did back down. For a few reasons.

Beyond working on my own rom hack, Fire Mumblem, and making videos, music, working at my real life job, among other things that I haven't listed off the top of my head, I don't think it's worth my time trying to fix your game's design, especially since:

1) You are clearly competent enough to do it yourself.

2) You are way more favored by the community than I. That alone could make you win the majority vote against me.

3) People may be fond of the currently existing chapters, good design be damned. Nostalgia could win out.

4) Your vision for some of the chapters is rather limiting. I get the whole "Working under limits is a good thing" idea, but when I tried to work around it, I just got frustrated and questioned why the hell I am bothering to do it.

5) If I fail to get the majority vote, the hours I spent working on newer, better designs would be for naught.

You could easily decide to make new designs for your chapters, take a lot of whiplash, and say "Screw all of you", and that would be the end of it. You have done that in the past. But with me, you're weighing my efforts against those same people. How is that fair?

My hope is that my criticisms and insights will reach enough people to result in better hacks in the future, and I understand I could be doing that by directly involving myself in improving the work of those whom I have criticized, but let's be honest here. That's the best case scenario. With how you have your system set up, it's decked way out of my favor, and I'm cynical enough to believe people will dislike my designs even if they are objectively better designed.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990