Am I the only one sick and tired of people hating on awakening and fates?

Michelaar

It doesn't bother me. I'll just wait until FE15 arrives and suddenly nobody hates Fates anymore.

Does the Zelda cycle really apply to Fire Emblem? I don't think it hit FE13, if anything, most of FE13's praise was when it first hit the west iirc.

It doesn't bother me. I'll just wait until FE15 arrives and suddenly nobody hates Fates anymore.

Don't you mean FE Mobile?

Anyway, you think FE fans are bad about complaining about the newest games? Zelda Fans are just as bad and I am sure there a lot of other games that get hate for the new games as well. I like Awakening and Fates and I was glad to see an attempt at having same sex options in Fates even though it could have been done much better then it was at least they put it in this time. But the story in Fates is bad and I hope the next FE has a better story.

Does the Zelda cycle really apply to Fire Emblem? I don't think it hit FE13, if anything, most of FE13's praise was when it first hit the west iirc.

FE13 got a lot of praise back then because it was the game that put the series on the map.

Among the veteran fans, though? FE13's hate was pretty brutal.

I am personally tired of seeing people hate on Awakening and Fates but moreso if they're hating or trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of the games by pushing their opinions on them or making their views more superior. But if people are just criticizing/complaining about what they don't like about the game, why does their opinion matter to you so much? If you like the games, that's great! But all you're doing is aggravating yourself further by getting mad at other people's opinion. People have different expectations, experiences and tastes and not everything about the game is going to appeal to those aspects. Hell, I get really annoyed when people still bring up the localization changes because those topics have been done to death already, but people are always always always going to find an excuse to complain and if they want to, leave them be.

At the end of the day, their opinion has no authority over yours.

If you see people complaining, sometimes you just need to take a step back and tell yourself "this is the internet where complaining and hating is a common occurrence so the best way for me to remedy the situation, is to distance myself from it and be on my way."

"Can people enjoy a Fire Emblem game without complaining?" No, because people are going to complain if they want and there's no rule stating that they can't. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why should it matter?

Edited by carefreejules

I really dislike when people bring up the "Zelda cycle" to handwave fans' criticism of Fates. Radiant Dawn (although it has been somewhat venerated by history) is still considered as having one of the more problematic stories in Fire Emblem, and I'll be the first to tell you that I find Shadow Dragon to be one of the most boring Fire Emblems. Even by the logic of this thread, if the "Zelda cycle" held true, people would think there is nothing wrong with Awakening when obviously many people dislike it. Fates' gameplay has received overwhelming praise. Fates is not a hated game, just the story.

I'm not even sure if the "Zelda cycle" applies to Zelda anymore. In my circles, people are pretty hyped for the next game.

I really dislike when people bring up the "Zelda cycle" to handwave fans' criticism of Fates. Radiant Dawn (although it has been somewhat venerated by history) is still considered as having one of the more problematic stories in Fire Emblem, and I'll be the first to tell you that I find Shadow Dragon to be one of the most boring Fire Emblems. Even by the logic of this thread, if the "Zelda cycle" held true, people would think there is nothing wrong with Awakening when obviously many people dislike it. Fates' gameplay has received overwhelming praise. Fates is not a hated game, just the story.

I'm not even sure if the "Zelda cycle" applies to Zelda anymore. In my circles, people are pretty hyped for the next game.

It doesn't really apply to Zelda so much as it does to specifically Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. Most of TP's praise, like FE13, was when it first launched, for example.

That said my point was that from what I've seen the Zelda cycle doesn't apply here, people's opinions on 13 haven't really changed with the launch of Fates and it's still largely love it or hate it.

honestly i dislike when people bring up the "Zelda cycle" at all

it makes the really, really stupid assumption that all the people in a group have the same opinion and change said opinion for no reason

like, you kinda have to wonder if maybe, just maybe

the people complaining about some zelda games aren't the same as the people who like the same zelda games???

The only time the hate annoys me is rather when people hijack threads and discussions about people talking about what they enjoyed about the games, with their constant moaning and crying about what they didn't like. It happens fairly often right now in the Fates section, like its fine to be vocal about your dislike in a thread proper for it, but when its about positive aspects, and you just go in with the usual trash talk, its a bit annoying. Both sides are guilty however and those who defend Awakening & Fates can be very defensive, wherein they try to deflect all criticism with calls of elitism of veterans of the franchise (like myself) and various other name-calling etc.

But other than that, its pretty tame compared to most other fandoms. I mean I dislike plenty of things in Awakening (Still think its a pretty good game) and I'm not sure about the direction Fates took other than the gameplay and even thats not exactly what I'd want in later FE but its still a pretty great SRPG. Opinions are opinions of course, the key thing in liking or disliking something is respect towards those who disagree with you, however its a bit hit & miss on the respect aspect right now.

Edited by Jedi

I am personally tired of seeing people hate on Awakening and Fates but moreso if they're hating or trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of the games by pushing their opinions on them or making their views more superior. But if people are just criticizing/complaining about what they don't like about the game, why does their opinion matter to you so much? If you like the games, that's great! But all you're doing is aggravating yourself further by getting mad at other people's opinion. People have different expectations, experiences and tastes and not everything about the game is going to appeal to those aspects. Hell, I get really annoyed when people still bring up the localization changes because those topics have been done to death already, but people are always always always going to find an excuse to complain and if they want to, leave them be.

At the end of the day, their opinion has no authority over yours.

If you see people complaining, sometimes you just need to take a step back and tell yourself "this is the internet where complaining and hating is a common occurrence so the best way for me to remedy the situation, is to distance myself from it and be on my way."

"Can people enjoy a Fire Emblem game without complaining?" No, because people are going to complain if they want and there's no rule stating that they can't. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why should it matter?

Yeah and its like where are they getting all the energy to be that damn salty from? Like, where? I cant hang on to salt for over five months, thats just too goddamn exhausting. I do think people whinge WAY too much about it though. But its actually fine if they do it in threads asking for it, or relevant to that. Stuff like "What did you think about this story element?" or whatever. Cuz thats fucking asking an opinion. Go ahead and salt in there. But... honestly...

The only time the hate annoys me is rather when people hijack threads and discussions about people talking about what they enjoyed about the games, with their constant moaning and crying about what they didn't like. It happens fairly often right now in the Fates section, like its fine to be vocal about your dislike in a thread proper for it, but when its about positive aspects, and you just go in with the usual trash talk, its a bit annoying.

THIS. (yeah the quote box borked so just bear with me.) Like, dont go in threads that are asking "what you dig about this" and salt all over the place, please. Or in threads or conversations that arent at all about that. Keep it where its welcome. Otherwise, people are gonna get goddamn tired of all this salt everywhere. Theres a thread right now in the Fates board where its asking after what you liked about the plot, and theres a rather large row in there about how much a character sucks. Its like, really guys? Now if that was going on in a thread about "what you disliked about the game" or "characters you dont like" etc, it wouldnt be a problem.

THIS. (yeah the quote box borked so just bear with me.) Like, dont go in threads that are asking "what you dig about this" and salt all over the place, please. Or in threads or conversations that arent at all about that. Keep it where its welcome. Otherwise, people are gonna get goddamn tired of all this salt everywhere. Theres a thread right now in the Fates board where its asking after what you liked about the plot, and theres a rather large row in there about how much a character sucks. Its like, really guys? Now if that was going on in a thread about "what you disliked about the game" or "characters you dont like" etc, it wouldnt be a problem.

That's not even the worst one. There's a thread on another board here that has nothing to do with Fates and it took less than one page of thread for someone to make a post reminding us how much Fates' story sucks. The post doesn't even contribute to the thread's intended purpose.

I think the main point that I brought this up is because I get really annoyed for some reason when I see people say: ''Awakening is shit''. I kinda agree with them, it's not my worst fire emblem game, but its not high up either. The GBA games (all 3) and fates are above it on my list. But I really think Fates is really good, and really enjoyable. The gameplay is really good and the characters are really fun in my opinion. Buy yeah, I can see where you guys are going with this. Regardless, there is no fire emblem I hate and I hope that will never be the case

That's not even the worst one. There's a thread on another board here that has nothing to do with Fates and it took less than one page of thread for someone to make a post reminding us how much Fates' story sucks. The post doesn't even contribute to the thread's intended purpose.

oh sweet Gerd, you're kidding! You should link me that shit in a PM cuz wowowowow. If you are doing that shit in threads that have nothing to do with Fates, you are doing something wrong, fandom.

Okay... that is actual irrational hate.

Honestly, I'm afraid to say that I'm pretty squarely in the camp of disliking both Awakening and Fates (for some of the same and some different reasons), so I can't really relate to this specific grievance. I can, however, relate on a more general level to not enjoying seeing games that I personally like get relentlessly trash-talked; I'm pretty much an EarthBound Beginnings/MOTHER 1 megafan, and let me tell you, the majority of the MOTHER fanbase does not make that a fun "Favorite Game in the Series" to have... although thankfully there are no ad hominem attacks towards people over it, that I've seen or experienced, anyway.

For the most part, I'm just gonna have to echo the sentiments that, yeah, it can suck and be disheartening to hear people hollering indictments of things that you like, but those people have just as much right to their opinions as you do to yours, and just as much right to voice their opinions as you do to voice yours. It is, however, very inappropriate and rude for them to continually blather on about their hatred in contexts in which it's not relevant or asked for.

[spoiler=If you wanna know if there's anything I like about Awakening and Fates...]

• I think the sleek user interface, the feel of the controls, etc. is far and away the best the series has seen yet, no contest. It makes it fast and easy to move characters around, perform various actions, etc., and little things like the ability to turn off the grid, or turn off Staff/Dance/etc. animations but not combat animations are definitely much appreciated.
  • I have to admit, I was a bit iffy about it at first, but I've come to really like the whole "Map Theme, Map Theme (Ablaze)" format for doing regular battle themes. It narrows the divide between combat and map movement, and definitely contributes to the feeling of combat engagements being just one part of a larger battle.
  • In as much as I criticize Fates, I think how it handled the Weapon Triangle was actually a really good idea, although it does sacrifice the occasional situational benefits of having WTA-neutral weaponry. I also have to appreciate how well it lends itself to the potential return of Light and Dark magic as their own entirely-distinct magic schools; Anima's already Red, so just make Dark magic Blue, make Light magic Green, and presto!
  • Another really good thing Fates did, as far as weapons are concerned, is that it applied the necessary tweaks and buffs to Knives to make them actually relevant, distinct, and worth using—and even having exist in the series at all, for that matter—as their own weapon type. Fates singlehandedly brought Knives up from one of my least favorite weapon types to one of my favorites.
  • As much as I'm not personally (and I cannot stress enough how subjective this is) a huge fan of how Awakening and Fates handle the distribution, acquisition, etc. of Skills, I have to admit that Fates introduces some of the coolest, most interesting, and most creative Skills in the series. The ratio of cool, interesting, and distinct Skills to bland drivel like the "Stat +#" Skills is much more in favor of the former in Fates compared to Awakening, and that's absolutely a good thing in my book.
  • Discounting classes that are just new names on old classes (Samurai and Strategist, for example, are not Fates-original classes), I honestly like pretty much every truly new class that Awakening and Fates introduced. War Cleric/Monk is such a fun, novel idea. I love the plethora of stylish new classes Hoshido brought to the table, and I love how Awakening and especially Fates played around more with weapon access combinations and mixed physical+magical classes. Corrin's personal classes are all really nifty ideas, even if the female outfits for those classes are kinda... erm...
  • Thank you, Fire Emblem Fates, for finally, finally, finally giving Archers the buff they so desperately needed, after 25 years.
Edited by Topaz Light

I'm sick and tired of people complaining of people complaining of p'eople complaining...

I understand the thought behind that, though. It's not that it is problematic that people are liking/disliking X, but being toxic over it all the time and going overboard really is annoying (same to being a fanboy and claiming there's nothing wrong with the game). It contributes little to discussions and adds only annoying personal rants to a thread.

That said, Fates and Awakening are definitely NOT considered bad games by the fandom. On general, they were highly praised and accepted, as evidenced by high sales and critic reviews. Serenes Forest's Fates' and Awakening's discussion group do not represent the majority of people who played them. There's no point to whatever the OP wanted to "argue" (which wasn't an argument, but an reaffirmation of their taste over other people's tastes, which is more of the same tbh).

I think they are good games. Awakening has good but "sloppy" ideas, mediocre map design and too much stat inflation and lack of balance on the mid-late game, but it was a fresh and fun experience. Fates fixed some of Awakening's "sloppy" ideas, making pair-up a much better mechanic, having much better maps, better skill use and less juggernaut units than its predecessor. Story is an important factor to me, but I'm not going to throw the game in the toilet just because of it (also, from what I've seen, most people criticizing Fates on SF actually like the rest of the game and praise its gameplay and ost).

The only time the hate annoys me is rather when people hijack threads and discussions about people talking about what they enjoyed about the games, with their constant moaning and crying about what they didn't like. It happens fairly often right now in the Fates section, like its fine to be vocal about your dislike in a thread proper for it, but when its about positive aspects, and you just go in with the usual trash talk, its a bit annoying. Both sides are guilty however and those who defend Awakening & Fates can be very defensive, wherein they try to deflect all criticism with calls of elitism of veterans of the franchise (like myself) and various other name-calling etc.

This. I dislike that the most.

I am far be it to try and stop someone from voice their criticisms—but, when a person purposefully goes onto a thread that is clearly meant for positivity to spout off complaint, then I have a bit of a problem. Just as they want the right to complain about the game, others want the right to express the things that they did enjoy.

Damn, it's like common courtesy and respect is no longer a concept.

If it's criticism you don't like, you don't have to read it or defend Fates. I payed cold hard cash that I accumulated for over a year before Fates's release just so I can buy all 3 versions. And revelations is one of my most hated games of all time right next to "Deus Ex: The Fall ". People who exchange money for the game are entitled to enjoy, hate, criticize, rave about or talk and debate about the game. They are not gonna stop just because your tired of them exercising their rights. And even then when you emulate an older Fire Emblem game, you can still criticize it because the money you would have spent doesn't go to Nintendo or IS. Criticism is the reason why the gaming industry exists and isn't a shell of it's former self like when the atrocity "E.T" on Atari got released. It's why we have good games. Criticism was never a bad thing, the thing you should be complaining about is that people are just blatantly hating a game and they are not properly critiquing it.

Besides if you truly love Fates, no amount of Criticism will shake your opinion of the game, even if it is fair criticism. You shouldn't be even worried about it.

People enjoy different things, you can't expect everyone to enjoy Awakening. If they genuinely hate the game, then they will hate it and you can't tell them to "stop hating and enjoy the game" and expect them to agree with you. Awakening was my first game, and I thought I loved the game and the Fire Emblem Series. As soon as I got to Jugdral and Tellius and then went back to replay Awakening I realized just how flawed it was, that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it.

With Fates, difficulty shouldn't come from Self-Imposed challenges. That's like blaming people who say Sacred Stones or that FE 4 is Easy because they play with Seth or Sigurd respectively, and that they shouldn't use them at all. Seth and Sigurd aren't the sole reason why Sacred Stone's and FE 4 are easy or unbalanced. And saying that the haters are cheating because they use Stat-boosters is just as flawed as the Seth and Sigurd Argument. And remember no one will agree with your opinion that Revelations had good map design. I personally despised these levels and thought the Dragon Veins were implemented poorly, but that doesn't mean that that was truly the case. It is just my opinion.

My real problem with Fates is that it seemed as if all the Budget for the game was spent on Conquest and the rest was used on Waifu's/Husbando's, My Castle, Hot Springs, children, etc. This directly affects the game-play of Revelations because it means they were spending the money that could have gone into perfecting the maps and supports, on something that in all intents and purposes, does not belong in a Fire Emblem game. This leaves us with Sub-Par maps, and Corrin-Sexual characters who can only support with Corrin, and retainers that don't have an interesting reason for joining you other than "It's my job to protect 'Insert Royal Name here'".

Of course you don't have to believe a word I said, and that's completely fine. Just don't put a fuss when people complain about a game they care about or a game in an entire FRANCHISE that they care about. I care about Fire Emblem which is why I decide to criticize it, in hopes that maybe the community can create fuss so large that Nintendo and IS will eventually notice. And the worst part is that once actually happened. For the wrong damn reason. Instead of complaining about shit that actually mattered, the Weebs and Otaku decided to complain about the removal of Skinship. They were fighting a war against Nintendo and Censorship that they knew that they were going to lose.

If they complained about the crap that mattered, such as Awakening's shit story or bad map design, or 1 dimensional characters, and they created a fuss about all of this at the scope of the Skinship riot, than IS would have seen it and they would have thought twice about said topics. Remember they are trying to make a good game, they put their heart and soul into Fates and Awakening, and if we tell them that their decisions sucked for Awakening, than maybe IS would have removed Children and Waifu Simulating from Fates and spent more time improving the game-play and Fates would have receive less hate from the "elitists". As it stands, the Fire Emblem Community isn't willing to grow up. And if we don't do it, then Fire Emblem won't either.

Edited by Valkarian

The only time the hate annoys me is rather when people hijack threads and discussions about people talking about what they enjoyed about the games, with their constant moaning and crying about what they didn't like.

I review these on a case-by-case basis, and will lay down warns as necessary.

---

If you feel the need to start a post with "Am I the only one?" assume the answer is "yes". It's an extremely tacky way of starting a discussion. A better title would be something like "I'm getting sick and tired of the people complaining about Awakening and Fates".

As for an actual answer. Yes. A lot. And WTF are these people doing on a subforum dedicated to something they don't like?

I don't mind people complaining about Fates and Awakening at all....but I do admit I find all the doom and gloom about Fire emblem's future to be pretty annoying.

The flaws of those games need not be permanent and some of them have already been handled to great acclaim like the revamped pair up or the Conquest map design. Why is it so hard to believe that IS will look at other common complaints like the villains of ''Neo Fire Emblem'' and proclaim that they need to step their game up in that area. They did so with pair ups and the maps so there's no reason to believe improvement in other areas is out of the question.

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon with the majority of people here and say it's fine for people to talk about things they dislike (I personally find the idea of hating a video game ridiculous) but they should do so in spaces where it's appropriate. In other words, we have threads that are devoted to complaining about Fates and Awakening so you can go there and let your salt pour forth. However, please do not go into threads talking about the things people like about Fates and Awakening and derail the thread to talk about bad things (unless you're doing so as a point of contrast, ie: "While I think Fates' story overall is trash, I really enjoyed Elise's arc in Birthright.").

Literally all you're going to accomplish by doing that is annoy the people who want to see what other people like about Fates and Awakening.

I don't mind people complaining about Fates and Awakening at all....but I do admit I find all the doom and gloom about Fire emblem's future to be pretty annoying.

The flaws of those games need not be permanent and some of them have already been handled to great acclaim like the revamped pair up or the Conquest map design. Why is it so hard to believe that IS will look at other common complaints like the villains of ''Neo Fire Emblem'' and proclaim that they need to step their game up in that area. They did so with pair ups and the maps so there's no reason to believe improvement in other areas is out of the question.

Maybe because to IS, Fates WAS stepping their game up for story?

I'll concur on your statement that gameplay was improved greatly since Awakening, however.

I'm actually more tired about the "Am I the only one" questions. Seriously, you are not the only one, there's no need to start a thread with that question.

Anyways, as many have said, you shouldn't take the hate that people throw to the game personally, since it's a matter of preferences most of the time wether you like it or not. Although it is true that some threads have derailed because of it, can't deny that.

Stop worrying what others think.

The thing I hate is when people bash others for their views. If you don't like the games, that's cool. If you do like them, that's fine.

But if you say someone is stupid, moronic or pathetic for liking/disliking it, you're going too far.