Hacking PoR Help

Hirotune

Hello, as a novice hacker, i only know how to do a small amount of hacking so im needing help. What i want to do, is to get deep into FE:POR's iso, to the point where i can remove the item lock of Alondite, Ragnell, Gurgurant, and Amiti. So, this is where it would be helpful if someone could give me detailed instructions, and the list of programs i'd need, to get into that part of the system files of the game to change it. Thanks

The locks are probably assigned as weapon abilities that have their own bitmap

Your options for removing the locks would be

-find the abilities in the bitmap and the respective items in the ISO data and remove the locks

-change the actual lock code(not recommended)

-give everyone all the lock abilities

The last option seems the easiest, all you'd need is a trainer (like action replay) and all the relevant information on what bit in the map is responsible for what lock which I believe is on arcentral.net

A bit map is exactly what it sounds like; a string of bits that all have their own individual entry or ability or whatever that can be combined by ORing the respective bits

So say bit 1 (0x1) is "promoted"

And that bit 2(0x2) is "mounted"

0x3(bit1 and 2) is promoted and mounted

I told you look around on arcentral.net

It's so easy for veteran hackers to forget that before they became vets, they had no idea what some terms meant. "Bitmap" to me means a bitmap image. It's just a picture. Of course, I now know that bitmap means a series of bytes in sequence denoting a color array which in turn forms a picture, but tha's not exactly common knowledge.

No reason to be rude to a newb just because they don't know what terms mean. Of course said newb could also stand to google the terms but c'mon this is the internet we're talking about.

It's so easy for veteran hackers to forget that before they became vets, they had no idea what some terms meant. "Bitmap" to me means a bitmap image. It's just a picture. Of course, I now know that bitmap means a series of bytes in sequence denoting a color array which in turn forms a picture, but tha's not exactly common knowledge.

No reason to be rude to a newb just because they don't know what terms mean. Of course said newb could also stand to google the terms but c'mon this is the internet we're talking about.

I'm not talking about a bitmap image. I literally defined it already, albeit not too thoroughly but still and how am I being rude by answering questions

Brendor, i know, but it doesn't have alondite, which is the main one im wanting

If it's not there it might be somewhere else online you gotta look around

I see that not all the bits in the bit maps are labelled. It's probably one of those; try them out and see what results you get

Edited by Brendor

how am I being rude by answering questions

To put it simply:

This is a very throwaway response, it's noncommittal, and it gives a feeling of smug superiority. "Pft, I found X easily, what's your excuse, maggot?"

There are ways to answer questions, and then there are ways to answer questions in ways that inspired this post by Camtech not even that long ago. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44615&page=1

Also this topic, for reference. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30380&page=1

Oh hey, you said it best in Cam's original topic.

It's a sign of Armageddon

Take this idea one step further; these ideas are applicable to any community, whether it be online or not. Imagine if someone went into a church to learn about Jesus Christ and they're met with the clergy saying "read the damn Bible then!" or whatever else. If someone experiences this they'll think "hmm maybe Christianity isn't for me" an d they don't pursue their interests any further. Basically you attract more flies with honey than vinegar and the "Golden Rule" is also applicable in this situation. Say you didn't know anything about hacking or anything else for that matter and you ask someone a question. Would you rather the person respond by saying figure it out yourself or would you prefer them to compassionately and patiently guide you to the necessary info? This was a problem with my math teacher in junior year believe it or not; if you asked him a question, you'd be met with "why don't you understand that!? It's so simple!" or "read the textbook" it's just counterproductive.

Edited by Klokinator

You..completely misinterpreted that

I wasn't giving the link to be like "I found it so easily herp" I was giving the link because it was what I was talking about in the thread

And telling Inori to look harder was a serious bit of advice. So often people just give up before actually doing or finding anything on their own not to mention I told him where to look twice; people answering questions can't do all the work for everybody. It's not a personal attack it's like I'm helping you, you gotta put in some effort but now I'm rambling. Sorry if feeling were hurt but people need to do more legwork if they want shit to get down

I would expect the game the freeze a lot

Give a sworduser Alondite and try them all

The lock might be hard coded to the Black Knight class though in which case you're sol with out fucking with the code

Edit: try playing around with the misc abilities

That bitmap has 2 documented locks and a whole bunch of undocumented bits

Edited by Brendor

Ignoring the BS above...

IIRC, Alondite in PoR is tied to the BK's model.

So far only Goldie (who went cookoo and deleted all their stuff including their videos) was able to bypass it.

Including things like having skills activate from a distance.

Unless you can debug the lock by tracing the routines (the code that controls how the lock works) then you're not going to get anywhere, especially since hackers for these game are few and far in between.

I got my text editing done by messing with what Vincent told me in the FE10 hacking thread and PMs and applying it by messing around (and hearing errors that make your ears bleed) with it.

Really, I know it sounds cruel... but "figuring it out yourself" is the only thing you'll be able to do.

Edited by shadowofchaos

dang it, i really wish she/he didn't go insane, i would have asked them if they could give me their system file, or at least i think its the system file you'd have to edit to bypass the lock

Hacking is almost never that convenient.

The only exception to that has been the Pokemon ROM hacking community which pretty much gives you all the tools you need.

At best there will be tools already available for you to uncompress data and such to view it.

At worst you will have to write and make your own tools/programs.

I'm just stating how it is.

If you still want to start, I suggest learning how to use Cheat Engine.

Edited by shadowofchaos

total newbie question, but in order to find the ability to wield alondite, wouldn't the black knight have to use it first? and then i would slowly have to diminish the junk codes to find the right one?

I can't help with the actual work, but I don't think it would be difficult to do what you want via ROM hacking.

Just grab GCRebuilder, rip the files, look for FE8Data.bin, then consult the FE10 hacking notes here to find out how pointers work and how the item data is laid out. FE9 is a different game, but the concepts are the same.

For reference, I believe Florete is locked because of the pointer to "eqB", so if you changed/removed that pointer then anybody should be able to use it (you may also want to change the weapon rank, currently set to "N" to something else). I'm 90% sure the locked weapons in FE9 work in the same manner.

Then once you've figured everything out, decompress system.cmp via LZ77 decompression (I may have typo'd the name as I always do) and edit this file. You will find the real FE8Data.bin inside. Don't forget to recompress it again.