FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

Ooh! Does this mean we might finally be able to get correct full sheet music for Don't Speak Her Name? :D

You can try!

I know of at least one program that plays BCSTM files, but not sure about converting to sheet music.

Here is the file anyway.

Also, if anybody wants any sound files, just give me a shout. Some are pretty big, so I don't want to upload them all (yet). I've got stuff like English voice clips too : )

In addition to what Blazer has found, from left to right, each row is going down by 13, except for every third digit which goes down by 03.

Can't see anything for the relationship between rows 1-2 and 3-4. If Row 5 goes FD EA D7 D4 etc. then it should be simple to predict what any given row will be.

I have no idea what this means for decrypting it, though

Nice work! (And to Blazer too)

Row 5 is indeed that and here's 6 too.

Row 5: fd	ea	d7	d4	c1	be	ab	98
Row 6: d0	cd	ba	a7	a4	91	8e	7b
These are the null growths (basically, the ciphered values that equate to 0% across the field), a term I made up. If you subtract these from the ciphered growths in a certain block of data (so Row 5 is for the 5th block of data), you'll get a partially deciphered set of growths.

Like this for the Tactician.

2	187	187	187	187	0	223	223
For the class data, there aren't any null growths (except for the Dummy class, which prompted this discovery) like in character data, so I've had to figure them out myself. So there might be some errors possibly, but hopefully not as more rows are figured out.

EDIT

It was worth a try, but I pasted FE13's cipherdata into FE12 to see what would happen. Sadly, I just got garble in FE12.

There goes using FE12 to figure out exact growths for FE13.

Funny thing, if you zero out cipherdata in FE12, you get 0s for all growths. Makes sense... I suppose.

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You trying to give us nightmares? XD

Er... haven't had much luck with other portraits. The files are in such a way that I have no idea what's what.

My bad finds include portraits that are just totally blank. Thanks IS!

Also, another nightmare:

blank_bu%281%29.png

Or nostalgia trip if you followed FE13 since its Japanese announcement.

Who's this guy?

boss5_bu%281%29.png

Better than a dummy or blank portrait...

Thanks! Just double checking for placement. I think he's boss 5 or something.

Hmm...

mage_(1).pngmage_(2).png

Where are my playable characters? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

EDIT

Closer...

MMarth_ct_pose0_100%281%29.png

Edited by VincentASM

This is hot hot news!

Also I expect people to paste like memefaces on Bald!Male3 there :O

Also, that boss is...in Ricken's chapter?

MMarth_ct_pose0_100(1).png

The cut-in we never get to see outside of Lunatic+.

1d8b5ff4d79a33564aa3622288e98de3.png

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Dammit, Elie.

Care to enlighten us on the process of ripping them?

Edited by shadowofchaos

automation programs are overrated, just find someone with way too much free time to rip everything for you

on a totally unrelated note, I like your new av/sig Vincent (<3 ASG)

In addition to what Blazer has found, from left to right, each row is going down by 13, except for every third digit which goes down by 03.

Can't see anything for the relationship between rows 1-2 and 3-4. If Row 5 goes FD EA D7 D4 etc. then it should be simple to predict what any given row will be.

sadly I had to go so I didn't get to finish my thoughts but yeah I pretty much came to the same conclusion you did and also don't know how that would be used for deciphering XD

I'm pretty tempted to take a look at this even if Vincent seems to have done everything already, maybe when I get back in a couple hours...

automation programs are overrated, just find someone with way too much free time to rip everything for you

on a totally unrelated note, I like your new av/sig Vincent (<3 ASG)

sadly I had to go so I didn't get to finish my thoughts but yeah I pretty much came to the same conclusion you did and also don't know how that would be used for deciphering XD

I'm pretty tempted to take a look at this even if Vincent seems to have done everything already, maybe when I get back in a couple hours...

Good idea... Who wants to volunteer? : D

Yeah, that game is good. It's not out in Europe though, but I did play like 5 hours of it at an expo (before anyone asks, I was demoing the game).

Haha, I trust you.

Hmm... I think the lack of playable characters is because ctrtool doesn't output Japanese symbols. So any Japanese files with the same name length get overwritten by the most recent one.

I can mess around with the entire ROM as an alternative, but it's a bit clunky (sigh, the joy of opening a 1 GB file in your hex editor). I'm wondering if there's an easier way than this...

Oh who am I kidding, we're probably on our own here.

Vincent, when you have a chance could you hook me up with however you got the decrypted file and any notes? Would help if I had a starting point to jump in. I don't even have a 3DS game to decrypt right now, so yeah. I'll be looking at this in between doing lots of other stuff though XP

Vincent, when you have a chance could you hook me up with however you got the decrypted file and any notes? Would help if I had a starting point to jump in. I don't even have a 3DS game to decrypt right now, so yeah. I'll be looking at this in between doing lots of other stuff though XP

Sure, I just followed this guide.

Only things you need are the FE13 ROM (hint: Venom) and an xorpad.

I can probably upload the xorpad somewhere, but bear in mind it's 1 GB.

I assume you can't just make it put out gibberish corresponding to a jp symbol?

That stinks. Have fun with the hex editor? c':

I was considering it, but there are so many files and the layout is a mess. I renamed like two files before my head started spinning.

Looks like ctrtool just gave up with unicode support, so I'm not expecting much help on that front.

mage_(1).pngmage_(2).png

So the sprite rips of the character portraits are 256x256px which means the 3DS's 400x240px and 320x240px screens will never show the full sprite. I got curious to see where the sprite gets cropped when it's used on screen, so I looked into it a little bit.

tumblr_ndlpvhmtMA1skqdh1o1_400.jpg

It looks like the sprite gets 16 pixels cut off at the bottom when used in this screen.

tumblr_ndlpvhmtMA1skqdh1o2_400.jpg

Now in this screen, 8 pixels get cut off from the top and 8 from the bottom.

Going by this I'm guessing that the sprites you see in conversations are also cropped so 16 pixels are cut off from the bottom. I'm curious to see how all the full sprites look.

i have literally no experience or knowledge in rom hacking and i honestly just wanted to contribute here somehow

Edited by DarkKnightAyla

I'm not sure if it would help, but there is a Mario Kart 7 extraction/viewer/insertion utility being worked on, and it also supports some other 3DS games--very similar to the Wii/DS file explorers. I don't know if it would help you navigate the contents of the decrypted ROM image or if it's for files already broken down. I'll link it here, just in case.

https://www.mediafire.com/?i50i2d7t2ujzzyi

Okay, it looks like somebody already figured out how to rip the portraits, so I'm just gonna leave them.

I started renaming the files and it works, but that's just extracting the files, nevermind converting them into a readable format...

Sure, I just followed this guide.

Only things you need are the FE13 ROM (hint: Venom) and an xorpad.

I can probably upload the xorpad somewhere, but bear in mind it's 1 GB.

I was considering it, but there are so many files and the layout is a mess. I renamed like two files before my head started spinning.

Looks like ctrtool just gave up with unicode support, so I'm not expecting much help on that front.

Thanks Vincent--I took a look at it and unfortunately I don't have a Gateway so it looks like I'd need that Xorpad. According to the post date though, we could have done this ages... err, well, a month and a half ago. Now I feel bad for not looking into it.

I'll at least look around the files you already uploaded for now. I'd say I don't have to have the Xorpad to get the full deal, but someone else might want it, so maybe it doesn't hurt to upload it? I don't mind hosting it on my own site later or something. Do the contents fall under "legally shady" though? XP

EDIT: Stupid me, carelessly refreshing the page mid-edit....

Uh, anyway, I ran through the files you gave and took some basic notes on them. There's nothing too interesting that I found, but it's a good starting point for someone who doesn't know what they're doing--it includes the files with their headers clipped and data decompressed as well as some basic notes on each file and what it might contain, except the GameData.bin file as that one is so big and full of juicy stuff that I didn't want to tackle it there.

Anyhow, you can find that here.

Sadly I don't have the text files but I do have the one text file you uploaded and based on that I took some notes on the text and how to view it and whatnot. You can find the related text files zipped up here.

These are pretty much just a starting point for others (and well, myself, to get familiar with everything), so to the average person this is pointless, but I figured I'd throw it out there since sharing knowledge is how we make progress on these kinds of things.

EDIT2:

In GameData.bin, item data starts at ~ $3A350; that's about the start of the data for the Bronze Sword anyway. Each entry is 0x38 bytes long.

$3A366 has the Bronze Sword's value per use; 3A36C looks like the weapon rank.

$3A36F has its number of uses.

$3A370-74 has the Bronze Sword's Mt, Hit and Crit, Min range and Max range.

To add to that: first 8 bytes ignorable, the next 3 words are both pointers to text labels (keep in mind the header is 20 bytes; so the first one actually points to IID_無し),

actually I just went ahead and made a Nightmare module since it almost feels like tradition around here (or maybe I'm the only one who feels that way since it's been almost 10 years since the first NMM's popped up and I started playing with them, lol)

interestingly enough, the weapon rank values are half of the ones of the weapon rank progressions (see http://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/calculations/) + 1, i.e. 1, 16, 36, 61, and 91. Not sure why without thinking about it.

Anyway, the NMM is bare bones but it'll allow someone to search for patterns if they want. Right now we can't actually test anything so not only is it hard to find anything but there isn't much fun in it since we can't like, unlock exclusive weapons or make non-forgeable weapons forgeable or something (I have a feeling the bytes that control those things would be in the item data). XP

Edited by Trails in the Blaze

Okay, it looks like somebody already figured out how to rip the portraits, so I'm just gonna leave them.

Do you know if they've ripped the critical portraits and the confession portraits as well?

Edited by DarkKnightAyla

^They figured out how to do it, doesn't mean they've actually done it yet. They might be writing a program to help them or something else; as to whether they can do those specific types of graphics or not... I'd love to try, but no files to work with T_T

Ooh! Does this mean we might finally be able to get correct full sheet music for Don't Speak Her Name? :D

I don't think you'll be able to get sheet music for any of the songs. Based on the file format, these are streamed songs, not sequenced songs, and thus there's no MIDI data played in conjunction with instrument samples to produce the music. Makes sense on multiple fronts, since sequencing is becoming less and less common for multiple reasons (though it still has it's uses/benefits).

I know Vincent said he knows how to play the music or whatever, but here are instructions for the average person:

1. Get Winamp (look for a straight-up installer if you can, instead of a 3rd-party one--you can't find it off the winamp homepage right now, TMK).

2. Download vgmstream -- http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream/

3. Read the README and follow the instructions by copying the DLLs into the winamp folder. Also, copy the plugin over into the Plugins folder of Winamp.

4. Open Winamp, drag the bcstm song onto it, and play it. It should load. (The song Vincent uploaded is, go figure, Don't Speak Her Name!--he'll either have to upload the rest or we'll have to get our own dumps or something for all the other songs.)

Hopefully I didn't miss anything there, it shouldn't be too hard (though finding out how to do it was a bit time-consuming since I haven't kept up with the 3DS hacking scene at all...). Let me know if it works or if there are any problems.

Oh yeah, and you can also use test.exe to dump a .WAV, IIRC--I don't think there's a batch option but if you're savvy you should be able to write a script for that and mass-convert all the files, I think. I'll leave it to someone else to do that though, I'm lazy.

-----------

And with that, I think I've done pretty much everything I could do with the files I have (I didn't really accomplish anything, I just think this kind of thing is fun :P). Growth rates are pretty much the only interesting thing in the GameData that people are looking forward to, right? I'm no good at ciphers so that's all Vincent. If I get a chance to play with the graphics I will, but I don't know how much of the graphics are even interesting outside of portraits given that so much of the game is in 3D now :O

EDIT: derp, just realized that Vincent uploaded DSHN because someone asked lol

also http://www.feshrine.net/hacking/fe13/Don't%20Speak%20Her%20Name.mp3 ... wow it turns it into a player, ok boom

Edited by Trails in the Blaze

Blazer guessed right; they're still in the process of ripping all the portraits.

I gave them a little tip and with luck we'll be able to salvage all the files ctrtool missed.

Dunno about confession images just yet.

EDIT

Have some fun icons.

icon_E_5BC00%28skill%29.png

icon_E_13C00%28item%29.png

More here

Edited by VincentASM