Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

Releasing version 0.87e 0.87f 0.87g

Patch:

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/fe4.ips

Readme:

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/readme.txt

Sources:

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/fe4transsrc.zip (mine)

http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/fe4-0.50.9.1-jay.tar.bz2 (original)

Improved by:

- Changed SoclKnt to Cavalier to better match standard terminology.

- Changed DrgRider to WyvRider, DrgKnt to WyvKnt, DrgMstr to WyvLord to better match standard use of wyvern over dragon for natural dragons.

- Changed Forrest to Ranger because Forrest was just an attempt to put off that it was just Forest and Forest doesn't make any sense for a class name.

- Changed Armour to LncArmr, AxArmour to AxeArmr, BwArmour to BowArmr, and SdArmour to SwdArmr for symmetry amongst the armours and against the mounted classes which don't have special names.

- Changed MThief to MtnThief.

- Changed LongArc to Ballista, IronArc to IronBal, and KillArc to KillBal to better match standard terminology.

- Changed long versions of all those to match.

- Changed anything which was based on those names to match (such as generic Dragon troops to generic Wyvern troops).

- Changed Continue skill to Adept skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Prayer skill to Miracle skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Ambush skill to Vantage skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Meteor/Lunar/Solar Sword skills to Astra/Luna/Sol Sword skills to match standard terminology (leaving Sword on as the skills only work with swords).

- Changed Life skill to Renewal skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed Elite skill to Paragon skill to match standard terminology.

- Changed anything which was based on those names to match (such as Prayer (Sword) to Miracle (Sword)).

- Changed Soldier skill type to Class skill type and Citizen skill type to Personal skill type because I could.

- Changed Hero weaponary to Brave weaponary to match standard terminology.

- Changed Volcanon tome to Bolganon tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Meteo tome to Meteor tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Tron tome to Thoron tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Storm tome to Bolting tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Rezire tome to Nosfratu tome to match standard terminology.

- Changed Live staff to Heal staff to match standard terminology.

- Changed Relive staff to Mend staff to match standard terminology.

- Changed Libro staff to Physic staff to match standard terminology.

- Changed Reserve staff to Fortify staff to match standard terminology.

- Corrected Valkyre staff to Valkyrie staff.

- Changed long versions of all those to match, using Bolganone and Nosferatu instead of Bolganon and Nosfratu.

- Changed anything which was based on these names to match (such as Vaha's battle cry).

- Changed abbreviated castle name from McKil to Mack to match map/dialogue.

- Changed option name 'anime' to 'anim'.

- Corrected Serlis's name.

- Corrected Scathach's name once I realised the JP were just-crazy-enough to apply their -ach = ハ formula to a name which is spelled that way despite not necessarily sounding that way.

- Changed Aoife's name as I was on a roll after changing the other two. Ideally it will at least annoy Aoife archetype proponents.

- Corrected Juda (unit name) to Judah (used in dialogue).

- Corrected Funf to Fuenf.

- Corrected Zwolf to Zwoelf.

- Replaced Chapter 9 opening placeholder text with actual text.

- Replaced Edda takeover placeholder text with actual text.

- Changed reference to Repeated Movement in Knight Ring description to reference to Canto to match standard terminology.

- Corrected a couple of malingering uses of Etain (to Aideen) in dialogue.

- Corrected a malingering use of Yurius (to Julius) in dialogue.

- Changed Andre vs Brigid battle conversation to remove redundancy and iffy wording.

- Changed caps style of Julius's outclassed death speech.

- Changed caps style of a number of pieces of all-caps text.

- Altered Knight Ring award dialogue to not reference 'repeated movement'. And to not call it a bracelet because that makes no sense.

- Corrected reference to Rest staff in Restore staff award dialogue.

- Corrected some spelling mistakes.

- Altered final speech in chapter 5.

- Altered reference from 'secret text' to 'secret book' in Hawk special village dialogue.

- Changed dialogue regarding a character being executed at once to say that their execution would be arranged at once since they're clearly not executed yet some time later.

- Altered dialogue regarding the Brave Sword being singular since it clearly isn't.

- Altered toolset to run under SUA. May have broken it running under Cygwin/nix/nux.

If you know of any simple problems throw them out there and I may have enough left in me to run another minor update.

[EDIT] Made list of links more clear.

Edited by irtikliwT

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it they're supposed to be Fünf and Zwölf but those aren't in the character set.

Yeah, but I think you would typically go with Funf and Zwolf if you were to write them without the umlauts.

And what's the reasoning behind the Oifaye change?

Yeah, but I think you would typically go with Funf and Zwolf if you were to write them without the umlauts.

And what's the reasoning behind the Oifaye change?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_(diacritic)#Printing_conventions_in_German

As I said I just felt like it after the other two. [EDIT] I guess I changed it not to say that. Well, it's said now.

Edited by irtikliwT

- Changed Forrest to Ranger because Forrest was just an attempt to put off that it was just Forest and Forest doesn't make any sense for a class name.

Last discussion on the topic, it was mentioned that Forrest is a French/English... thing, meaning "from/of the woods." As to clarify "that it was just Forest."

I would've downloaded this if it wasn't for Fuenf, Zwoelf, Sedris and Aoife.

And also, what you call 'standard terminology' has only been used in official translations so far. As far as I know, the translation patches for FE1-FE5 all use names like 'live', 'relieve' and such.

How about making an additional patch with no names changed? It seems like more people don't like the name changes...

But still thanks for improving the patch :)

Edited by Quirino

Last discussion on the topic, it was mentioned that Forrest is a French/English... thing, meaning "from/of the woods." As to clarify "that it was just Forest."

Even assuming that Forrest does have a valid origin, as far as I'm aware at the time it was only made 'Forrest' because of minds rebelling against a class being called 'Forest'. Given what you've said here, I'm not sure I have a problem calling it Ranger anyway.

Wait, last I checked, the 'Dragons' in Jugdral were actual Dragons not Wyverns.

I'm not sure what perspective you're looking at this from.

From a visual perspective they're dragons, but so are the FEGBA wyverns.

FEGBA has Manaketes = Dragons, other dragons = Wyverns (and wyverns also = Wyverns in FE8).

FE4 has Manaketes in a manner of speaking in addition to other dragons, so I have it follow the same rules.

Unless you think that the FE4 stock dragons are manaketes :?

I would've downloaded this if it wasn't for Fuenf, Zwoelf, Sedris and Aoife.

And also, what you call 'standard terminology' has only been used in official translations so far. As far as I know, the translation patches for FE1-FE5 all use names like 'live', 'relieve' and such.

How about making an additional patch with no names changed? It seems like more people don't like the name changes...

But still thanks for improving the patch :)

I am not an artistic person so I can't draw good-looking umlauted characters so ue/oe is going to have to do. I don't understand how this is now suddenly a thing but no-one has ever complained about Gruenen Ritter not being Grunen Ritter.

Serlis, not Sedris.

It's possible that there is a more recent source than the FE7 FE History page which has a different translation of Serlis's name. If this is the case, go ahead and point me to it, and it can be changed. Not a big deal.

It's possible that they will give it a different translation amongst the chicanery in FE13. If they do we can change it. Not a big deal.

Official translations are the ones which matter.

The FE5 patch uses Heal/Mend and so on (and psychic instead of physic because Shaya thinks he is hilarious).

Edited by irtikliwT

Oops, I must've been half asleep when writing that.

And screw it, I'll just download this :) I'll get over the name changes. But yeah, waiting for FE13 seems like a good idea. I wonder what FE4 characters it will contain.

By the way, I never even noticed that the staff was called psychic instead of physic in T776 translation. Now that you say it...

Edited by Quirino

I'm hopping on the "you had me 'til Serlis" train. ;/

Zwoelf and Fuenf are proper stand-ins for umlauts, though, so good on you there I guess.

Also Prayer isn't really Miracle. It's rather more like Resolve, but it isn't really Resolve either.

Wait, last I checked, the 'Dragons' in Jugdral were actual Dragons not Wyverns.

Indeed.

In the English translations for FE7/8/9, the mounts that were clearly dragons were referred to as "Wyverns". (Plus the Wyvern Knight mounts in FE8 that actually were Wyverns and were referred to as such in the Japanese.) However, as of FE10, the naming has been corrected to refer to them as dragons, which they are. The fact that it was a change from FE9 to FE10 indicates that it was not simply a difference in what the mounts were called in different continents, but a retraction of the old naming. With this in mind, I think it is a safe bet that we will see the names Dracoknight, etc. used in future translations as well, which is supported by the visuals indicating the name to be more accurate. So I suggest reversing that particular change, although I support most of the others.

I think the Forrest change is a bit weird. I would prefer Hero.

I'm hopping on the "you had me 'til Serlis" train. ;/

Yeah... Celice might be "inaccurate" but I would think that everyone would agree that it's well established enough as a name to leave untouched. Probaly Oifaye, too.

Also Prayer isn't really Miracle. It's rather more like Resolve, but it isn't really Resolve either.

I think it's closer to Miracle than it is to Resolve. It has the same symbol, for a start, and they have the same theme of "saving you from the edge of death". Prayer is just a lot, lot, lot more powerful, (it's activation rate in FE5 is six times as high as in FE9/10).

Indeed.

In the English translations for FE7/8/9, the mounts that were clearly dragons were referred to as "Wyverns". (Plus the Wyvern Knight mounts in FE8 that actually were Wyverns and were referred to as such in the Japanese.) However, as of FE10, the naming has been corrected to refer to them as dragons, which they are. The fact that it was a change from FE9 to FE10 indicates that it was not simply a difference in what the mounts were called in different continents, but a retraction of the old naming. With this in mind, I think it is a safe bet that we will see the names Dracoknight, etc. used in future translations as well, which is supported by the visuals indicating the name to be more accurate. So I suggest reversing that particular change, although I support most of the others.

FE11 and FE12 also saw the use of Dracoknight over Wyvern Lord. I still think that the name "wyvern" is more appropiate than "dragon".

Edited by Anouleth

Prayer is 祈り.

Miracle is 祈り.

???

Yeah... Celice might be "inaccurate" but I would think that everyone would agree that it's well established enough as a name to leave untouched. Probaly Oifaye, too.

Oifaye's a plenty fine spelling for the guy, even if it isn't technically accurate. I think. I'll have to ask Kitty, since she knows all of this shit.

I don't get why he'd change Oifaye's spelling to the technically correct one without changing Aideen to the technically correct Etain (and actually working, uh, the opposite way), but eh.

Prayer is 祈り.

Miracle is 祈り.

???

I didn't know this, I just compared it gameplayically-wise and Miracle/Prayer ...didn't seem to stack up quite enough to call Prayer Miracle. Adept/Continue or Paragon/Elite, yeah, they're the same skills, but this feels like a round peg in a ...slightly less round hole.

EDIT: I suppose it boils down to "why am I bitching I've already said I'm not downloading this" ;/

Edited by Integrity

Miracle is just a really really nerfed version of Prayer, activating less and reducing damage instead of avoiding it entirely. Fundamentally, the two skills do exactly the same thing: help protect a character from fatal blows. With the same purpose and the same Japanese name, there's no reason not to go with Miracle, the established translation.

Edited by Othin