NCFC 2013 Hype-A-Month-In-Advance Thread

Kiddo

Ah, yeah, it really HAS been a while since you last checked it, huh? ^^;

Indoors are in, music is in (Although it doesn't perfectly transition like it does in LttP), the ROMs can boot on real hardware, and most recently there's the sublines which cover the Soundlink dialog in text form.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, Klokinator, you've made me yet more aware of how out of touch I am with Zelda fangamers.

I need to figure out where to go to let them know that NCFC is going on. I need some competitors against the BS Zelda restorations, after all. :E

Anyone else here know about the Project Zelda Engine? I sorta admin the site and it's probably the best engine for making zelda fangames currently on the (uh sorta?) market.

www.zeldaengine.net

PR aside, I doubt it casts a shadow over the gigant that is Zelda Classic.

Oh man, thanks for the mention. You always mention the most interesting projects :D

Because Celice is a boss when it comes to hidden treasures and awesome games that aren't fire emblem... jk :D

Zelda Classic... that reminds me, I wonder if Zelda: Magic Keys is gonna show this year?

I swear I heard of Zelda Classic before... is it the one where it's open source, it has a whole community, and you can make multiple games? Last time I checked, it seemed boring. Dunno if the one I was playing was outdated or not, but...

http://zeldaclassic.com/

Zelda Classic is a Zelda game engine specially tailored for making games in the style of Zelda 1. Many of the projects have shown it to be surprisingly versatile, considering that.

That's the one!

When I played it though, it had, like, no sound, I couldn't really attack, and I didn't get the map editor. I'll explore it again someday...

someday indeed...

This is getting a showing a NCFC? Cool.

Depends on if Zelda: Magic Keys is at NCFC this year. That project got in a large amount of development turmoil, so I have some concerns. It's a pretty interesting project if it makes it, though.

Man, I feel like the old Zelda games had some level of charm I just can't find as much of in the newer ones (at least aside from Wind Waker). It's tempting to check out some of these Zelda hacks, but unless there's one that really stands out as being one of the best hacks, I think I'll stay away. The problem with hacks is you have to jump in not really sure of how good a hack is and often times get stuck due to glitches or incompleteness... it's like that with FE/Pokemon hacks too, of course, and that's just the nature of things *shrug*

Well, none of the Zelda projects being discussed are hacks (withstanding the Ancient Stone Tablets trailer), but rather, games created using a custom-made engine. There's some surprisingly high-quality projects out there--especially from some of the French fans.

Well, none of the Zelda projects being discussed are hacks (withstanding the Ancient Stone Tablets trailer), but rather, games created using a custom-made engine. There's some surprisingly high-quality projects out there--especially from some of the French fans.

And AST is very playable at that. ^^;

An update on something I'm working on:
http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?p=391343#p391343

Made a few logos for an event of the NCFC

bYrTBpF.png2cd5RAK.png
NCFC Direct + NCFC Direct w/Reversed Shadow

At8G0Qr.png
NCFC Direct w/o Date

As you can see, I've been working on something with the help of the MFGG Skypers. :)

If anyone else wants to contribute to this, footage of your game will be appreciated. Furthermore, unlike the trailer style guide, you can pretty much submit 3 minutes of any kind of game footage you want.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what pops up.

To be more specific, I'm mixing up NCFC footage with audio mash-ups featuring a certain Nintendo Direct person. :P

If anyone wants to help with this, I got some audio ready for mashing up now.
http://kiddocabbusses.tryhappy.net/Direct/E

EDIT::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3C4ZCJoXSg

Yeah, this is a rough draft.

Edited by Kiddo

www.nintendocfc.com

Just wanted to leave a note here that registrations are open. I already popped in my project!

As per last year, you have up until opening day to submit!

Of course, I would like it if you submitted earlier, for various reasons, of course.

Well, here's a few notes I'm taking so far:

1) All signs point to that the awards at the end are cancelled, since this was the main sticking point of the issue. It's unfortunate, since I enjoy the concept of the award show. Perhaps I'll have something else ready for the Livestream in it's place.

2) There is a separate column for ROM hacks, but it doesn't seem that any of the ROM hacks currently up actually use it. (This includes my own submission as well as Dream of Five.)
This probably won't even be used this year if there isn't a ROM hack that doesn't fit in any of the previously defined categories, so I'm not entirely sure what's up with that.

I'll send a query about anything else that might be worth noting.

2) There is a separate column for ROM hacks, but it doesn't seem that any of the ROM hacks currently up actually use it. (This includes my own submission as well as Dream of Five.)

This probably won't even be used this year if there isn't a ROM hack that doesn't fit in any of the previously defined categories, so I'm not entirely sure what's up with that.

i didn't even notice the rom hack section

but why the hell would i put my rom hack in the /rom hack/ section instead of the /fire emblem/ section

i don't get it

i claim segregation of rom hacks

I don't really get it either. And I'm staff! My submission's going in the Zelda section, and I'm approving it myself!

Ah, guess I should approve your's as well. :)

And what happens when the director or whatever moves all of the ROM hacks anyways? Why mandate a category and not enforce its use? I'm sure he'd notice an empty section, and probably the Fire Emblem projects from last year too that would've been approved (since they're what sparked this whole controversy anyways). If this is his solution, I'd expect him to follow through. Seems like the proposal here is simply to go around the director. That rarely ends well.

Wish we could find a better way to work this out. I don't agree with this sort of segregation, and (at this point in time) I won't be signing up any of my projects for the NCFC this year. And I'd encourage other members of our community to pass on this year's show as well. All we're asking for is an equal stage; it shouldn't be this hard to get something that simple. Sorry Kiddo.

Edited by Arch

And what happens when the director or whatever moves all of the ROM hacks anyways? Why mandate a category and not enforce its use? I'm sure he'd notice an empty section, and probably the Fire Emblem projects from last year too that would've been approved (since they're what sparked this whole controversy anyways). If this is his solution, I'd expect him to follow through. Seems like the proposal here is simply to go around the director. That rarely ends well.

Wish we could find a better way to work this out. I don't agree with this sort of segregation, and (at this point in time) I won't be signing up any of my projects for the NCFC this year. And I'd encourage other members of our community to pass on this year's show as well. All we're asking for is an equal stage; it shouldn't be this hard to get something that simple. Sorry Kiddo.

I don't think the director is that invested in the creation of the category; it seems like a decision made without really thinking about it. I myself brought up to him that if the Fire Emblem community actually submitted into that section, there'd be more FE games in there than in the actual FE category. It's an outright impractical categorization, and many of the staffers have therefore already considering revamping how the categorization of entries works later on (for example, using tags).

I'm really sorry about the issues with this. I'll keep you up on date on any developments, but I suppose at this point I can't plan anything out based on Elibian Nights showing.