quick question re: double-edge

geozeldadude

i'm trying to decide if i should teach my skitty double-edge or not (in ruby). in my playthroughs i never use TMs or HMs for my main 6, and i'm trying to find a good moveset for him. i'm thinking of keeping sing, faint attack, heal bell, and then replacing doubleslap with double-edge, but i'm thinking i probably won't since the 1/2 damage recoil just doesn't seem worth it. i want to keep faint attack b/c right now that's the only one of the two dark moves my team has. any thoughts?

A good move if you want a powerful normal type attack might be Return - it's pretty close in power but you take no recoil, although you need Skitty's happiness to be high (if you've had the Skitty for a while it should already be, otherwise lots of levelling should do the trick). Return can also be bought as often as you want from the department store (wherever that is, I can't remember)

If you don't want to use Return, then Double-Edge seems decent to me. It deals 2.7 times as much damage as Doubleslap on average, so even if you halve that for recoil, you're still looking at more damage.

A good move if you want a powerful normal type attack might be Return - it's pretty close in power but you take no recoil, although you need Skitty's happiness to be high (if you've had the Skitty for a while it should already be, otherwise lots of levelling should do the trick). Return can also be bought as often as you want from the department store (wherever that is, I can't remember)

If you don't want to use Return, then Double-Edge seems decent to me. It deals 2.7 times as much damage as Doubleslap on average, so even if you halve that for recoil, you're still looking at more damage.

yeah, actually now that i look at the numbers doubleslap is pretty weak. i think i may use a TM after all b/c i'm still not satisfied w/ double-edge's recoil. return's max. base power is only 40. what about using facade instead? it has a base of 70.

also, for my solrock i think i'm going to have to choose between keeping confusion or psywave. i'm prob. going to go with confusion.

Return base power is 102 when your happiness is at maximum.

EDIT: Otherwise, if you really intend to go through with Skitty/Delcatty but don't mind breeding one, breed one to get Wish to recover from the recoil done by Double-Edge.

Edited by Magna

Uh, Return's Max base power is 102... Facade is pretty good too, actually.

As for Psywave, if I understood how it works correctly it's better on average than confusion at about level 83, and Confusion can also confuse while Psywave is very unreliable. So, keep Confusion I guess.

I agree that Return would be a better move than Double Edge.

IMO, Heart Scales are pretty useful since they can reteach a Poke a move, especially if you accidently got rid of a move that you found useful.

On a side note,you actually take 1/3 of the damage dealt.

Edited by UberLughFTW