Magic Weapons

Andreyas

Levin Sword, Shinrai Naginata, etc.

Can I just say that I am glad that these weapons are returning AND that they have melee animations/attacks? It reminds me of how the Runesword was in PoR, so I will try to get as many of those as possible in Fates. <3

Edited by Andreyas

They are pretty amazing weapons too. Most 1-2 range weapons were nerfed. Things like Javalins, Hand Axes, etc can't double. The magic weapons can double, so they are better for ORKOing, and they target Res. However, they can't trigger skills (which are unreliable anyways) and have avo -20, so you want to have dodgy/tanky units use them for EP.

They are pretty amazing weapons too. Most 1-2 range weapons were nerfed. Things like Javalins, Hand Axes, etc can't double. The magic weapons can double, so they are better for ORKOing, and they target Res. However, they can't trigger skills (which are unreliable anyways) and have avo -20, so you want to have dodgy/tanky units use them for EP.

That's a shame we cannot have ranged Astras.

Btw, your signature made me laugh. :D

They can't critical hit either so whatever damage numbers you have are what you get. This sucks for Shura + Bolt Axe because they naturally get Ogre Strike.

I'm also kind of annoyed they don't work off your strongest attack stat. Magic weapons are useless or redundant on most classes because of their naturally low magic.

They can't critical hit either so whatever damage numbers you have are what you get. This sucks for Shura + Bolt Axe because they naturally get Ogre Strike.

I'm also kind of annoyed they don't work off your strongest attack stat. Magic weapons are useless or redundant on most classes because of their naturally low magic.

But aren't they useful for units like Sakura, Niles, Felicia and Saizo?

Yea true they are only good on characters with decent Mag. But on those characters, they are REALLY good. I've heard a lot about a +Mag Cav MU with a Levin sword in Conquest. Or a Hinoka or Subaki with the Shinrai Naginata. Or an Adventurer Zero with the Shining Bow.

But aren't they useful for units like Sakura, Niles, Felicia and Saizo?

Yea true they are only good on characters with decent Mag. But on those characters, they are REALLY good. I've heard a lot about a +Mag Cav MU with a Levin sword in Conquest. Or a Hinoka or Subaki with the Shinrai Naginata. Or an Adventurer Zero with the Shining Bow.

The Shining Bow is good because it's 1-2 range and there aren't any Bow + Tome classes to make it redundant. You basically need to have a class that has Staff + physical weapon for it work (barring some characters with unusually high magic growth). They're okay on Basara, Shura and Revenant Knight because it's a pain to level up your Tome rank to where you can use anything good but if you can level up your Tome rank, I'd probably use them more often. The best thing about magic weapons is their high might. Not triggering skills or critical hits really hurts.

There are some characters who are good/decent with them but that's entirely based on their own growths.

(Hinoka and Tsubaki have rubbish magic growth btw)

Edited by NekoKnight

Right, but those boosts can be given to anything. I haven't crunched the numbers to know exactly how much investment it takes to make the Shinrai Naginata useful on Hinoka or Tsubaki but I found them both underwhelming on the magic front when I used them.

My issue with magic weapons is that only a scant few characters can hope to be good at using them, and there's also the -20 avoid to consider.

Edited by Levant Colthearts