22.3 Famitsu Update

it's not really a character thing, really. But the fact that; at least from what I've experienced, certain characters you got in FE11 and 12 were meant to be another class, or functioned better as one. . . but YOU had to do that.

Also, FE classes are more like board pieces, and less like highly customizable units. In games like FFT, it makes sense to reclass for the perks of each class. FE on the other hand never really had a way to let a mage become a fighter, yet still use magic. In other words, while it's interesting to see a Pegasus knight become a knight, it just doesn't really make you feel like you transitioned anything but stats. So instead of it feeling like the classes really matter, it's all just stats with some class unique abilities that don't stack or blend.

No, but the character specific skills will carry over.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Well, as much as I don't like how much fanservice Velvet is, she's the closest as it probably will get to a killer rabbit in FE.

So unless both her stats and personality suck ass she's in.

I'm using her even if she does suck.

So the fact that a cavalier could maybe become a knight now means that characters can't have personalities? Most FE characters' personalities are not even remotely tied to their classes, and those that are certainly would not suffer from being a slightly different class. Yet, somehow, in every instance of reclass existing, people freak out because there is just no way that someone can be able to change from cavalier to armor knight and also have a personality.

I never mentioned anything about their personalities. Its just awkward to have a Great Knight talk about his proficiency in using Fire magic when he can clearly only use axes and swords. There are characters that have very little ties to their class, but there are also characters whose classes are a very large part of their persona. The class change item isn't going to break the game or prevent me from buying the game. I just think its an awkward system to implement in a series where, like Strategist said, the characters are like chess pieces. Some customization and variation is fine, but the class change system is just a bit too much customization for me. I have no qualms with anyone who likes the system... I just personally do not.

Changing class doesn't change their past or their knowledge. Think of it less as "I forgot how to use magic" and "now is not the time to use magic, I need to put some armor on".

But then what happens if there's a character whose from an army that is primarily armors, but the character wanted to be a mage, and shunned it? The character could explain why it is he refuses to wear armor--maybe he resents the army, but he was forced into it, and chose to go into a magic brigade that rarely gets used.

And then you put him in an armor and OH LOOK WHAT THE FUCK DUDE

But then what happens if there's a character whose from an army that is primarily armors, but the character wanted to be a mage, and shunned it? The character could explain why it is he refuses to wear armor--maybe he resents the army, but he was forced into it, and chose to go into a magic brigade that rarely gets used.

Pretty sure IS won't go that far out of their way to screw themselves over :I

Changing class doesn't change their past or their knowledge. Think of it less as "I forgot how to use magic" and "now is not the time to use magic, I need to put some armor on".

Except they wouldn't be able to use magic anymore if they were given a tome. I don't like the system because, unlike split promotions, class switching completely alters the characters skills and physical abilities rather than just improve on what they already know. Promotions allow variety while staying "true" to the character's original concept.

I would be against it even if the case wasn't so extreme. I understand where IS is going with the class change system because it is fun to play around with the characters, but I personally will not use it until at least my 3rd playthrough because its just not Fire Emblem-y to me.

You don't call that armor stylized?

What if there was a character in another game that talked about how he was always changing classes every battle because it's how he's always done it, but it didn't have reclass? What then?

Generals with a useful skill?

Magic-wielding pegasus riders?

Bunny-beast laguz?

My god, this game is getting better and better.

What if there was a character in another game that talked about how he was always changing classes every battle because it's how he's always done it, but it didn't have reclass? What then?

Since the player isn't in control of whether the character stays or breaks their background, nothing. The game just proceeds. Whereas in the example that was being discussed, the problem occurs precisely because the player can screw with the story in ways the game either cannot accommodate, or must go out of its way to accommodate--the player skews a predetermined script, which, by virtue of its nature, is static, and does not keep up with the alteration. In your example, the character remains static--whatever happens regarding the character is most likely intended by the scenario director.

They said that "re-classing" would be limited right? As long as they separate magic using and physical units I don't think it will be much of a problem. I just hope I don't see a mage turning into a knight.

That might be hard...seeing how they naturally merge together in this game.... axe wielding clerics, the strategist class, black peggy....yeah.

Since the player isn't in control of whether the character stays or breaks their background, nothing. The game just proceeds. Whereas in the example that was being discussed, the problem occurs precisely because the player can screw with the story in ways the game either cannot accommodate, or must go out of its way to accommodate--the player skews a predetermined script, which, by virtue of its nature, is static, and does not keep up with the alteration. In your example, the character remains static--whatever happens regarding the character is most likely intended by the scenario director.

A character that always reclasses but suddenly can not is the same as a character that doesn't want to reclass but can. In fact, the former makes less sense since you have the option of not reclassing your example.