Is it true that this game isn't selling so hot?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, from what I've read it's not doing very well. But it's okay, even though I'm excited as hell about it because I'm total anime trash, I totally expected it to not sell. Provided the only evidence I've seen was from people on tumblr copy/pasting one headline from one site with some variation of "SEE THIS IS WHAT THEY GET FOR BETRAYING US" haha

Actually, I wanted to discuss about that, but I'm waiting for next week numbers to come out. But if you see reference to the previous week numbers (12/21 - 12/27), keep in mind that the game was released the 26th, so... 2 days.

I'm no expert on this subject, but most people I've seen commenting on that did not seemed to have taken this into account.

I will probably comment further when the "second week" numbers come out, since we will have the 2 first days, plus the first "full" week after release.

Edited by Avk

Probably the worst debut for Atlus' RPG in a long time. I don't remember any of their games selling less than 50k during the first week (Trauma Team maybe?) and this game did 23k-26k but mind that it's two days of sales instead of the usual four. Still, it's that type of the game that usually dissapears from charts after two weeks because everyone who wanted it bought it early.
Unless some miracle happens the game is a total bomb in Japan.

According to Famitsu, It sold about 23000 copies on its first week. For comparison, Fates sold 350000 copies. Japanese RPG sales tend to be heavily front loaded. So yeah, this game is selling really badly.

Edited by Nobody

Yikes. I love Atlus, so this disappoints my greatly. Even though I won't get this game, I hoped it would fare better, because I want Atlus to have a bright future. I guess I lost faith in this game when I saw how weeaboo it was. I wanted a darker game like DDS or Nocturne. =/

Actually, I wanted to discuss about that, but I'm waiting for next week numbers to come out. But if you see reference to the previous week numbers (12/21 - 12/27), keep in mind that the game was released the 26th, so... 2 days.

I'm no expert on this subject, but most people I've seen commenting on that did not seemed to have taken this into account.

I will probably comment further when the "second week" numbers come out, since we will have the 2 first days, plus the first "full" week after release.

I don't disagree, but don't games like this make their best sales in the first day or so? I eagerly await next weeks numbers, regardless, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement.

I don't disagree, but don't games like this make their best sales in the first day or so? I eagerly await next weeks numbers, regardless, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement.

From what I've heard, yes, but it is still only 2 days. I don't expect the total number to skyrocket or anything, but looking at the sales after a full week will probably be more "accurate" (can't find the right word for what I mean, but hopefully the meaning is still conveyed) than just looking at 2 days.

According to Famitsu, It sold about 23000 copies on its first week. For comparison, Fates sold 350000 copies. Japanese RPG sales tend to be heavily front loaded. So yeah, this game is selling really badly.

That's a terrible comparison.

You're comparing FEif, which is a mainline game in the series, on a console with a huge userbase, and RPG friendly to a game which isn't totally FE, nor SMT, on Wii U, which as a really low userbase, and didn't have many RPG, so don't have a strong RPG player population.

Plus, I'd need to check what was released next to FEif, but whatever is it, it probably can't be compared to what #FE is facing, ie Splatoon and Super Mario Maker which are killing pretty much everything right now.

This game had the worst release date IMO, which is why I'd wait a bit before saying anything.

^ Also that, releasing the day after Christmas, I don't know how strong this tradition is in Japan though.

I don't pretend to be a Sales expert analyst, I also don't expect the game to do incredibly well, but seeing people rejoice at the prospect of this game failing or well, just seeing the game not doing well is pretty disheartening.

Maybe that's not really the same situation, but it reminds me of Codename S.T.E.A.M, or Wonderful 101.

Edited by Avk

From what I've heard, yes, but it is still only 2 days. I don't expect the total number to skyrocket or anything, but looking at the sales after a full week will probably be more "accurate" (can't find the right word for what I mean, but hopefully the meaning is still conveyed) than just looking at 2 days.

That's a terrible comparison.

You're comparing FEif, which is a mainline game in the series, on a console with a huge userbase, and RPG friendly to a game which isn't totally FE, nor SMT, on Wii U, which as a really low userbase, and didn't have many RPG, so don't have a strong RPG player population.

Plus, I'd need to check what was released next to FEif, but whatever is it, it probably can't be compared to what #FE is facing, ie Splatoon and Super Mario Maker which are killing pretty much everything right now.

^ Also that, releasing the day after Christmas, I don't know how strong this tradition is in Japan though.

I don't pretend to be a Sales expert analyst, I also don't expect the game to do incredibly well, but seeing people rejoice at the prospect of this game failing or well, just seeing the game not doing well is pretty disheartening.

Maybe that's not really the same situation, but it reminds me of Codename S.T.E.A.M, or Wonderful 101.

Yeah, i know the comparison was bad, but still i just wanted to show the difference in sales.

Splatoon and Mario maker aren't "killing everything" tho. They're sucessful games that got and are getting good sales because they appealed to people, but you can be sure that if the wii u got another game that appealed to people, it'd also get good sales. I doubt their sucess affected this game's sales negatively or at all.

I've been following japanese sales for a while, and this sort or game shows huge drop in sales on the second week, even when the first week consisted of only two days. Like, 70% drops are the usual and 85% drops aren't rare either. Since this is the holiday season, I'd say it could have a less terrible drop off of just like 60%, which would still mean bad sales.

It's just a game that doesn't appeal to many people and on the wrong game system. On neogaf, quite many people were saying they'd expect it to sell twice or three times what it sold if it were on the vita (which is famous for getting games like it) or even the 3DS

Also just to clarify, the holiday season, from the second halfbof december to the first week of january is huge in video games sales in japan. It's not rare to see consoles selling 5 times what they usualy sell, for exemple.

Yeah, i know the comparison was bad, but still i just wanted to show the difference in sales.

Splatoon and Mario maker aren't "killing everything" tho. They're sucessful games that got and are getting good sales because they appealed to people, but you can be sure that if the wii u got another game that appealed to people, it'd also get good sales. I doubt their sucess affected this game's sales negatively or at all.

I've been following japanese sales for a while, and this sort or game shows huge drop in sales on the second week, even when the first week consisted of only two days. Like, 70% drops are the usual and 85% drops aren't rare either. Since this is the holiday season, I'd say it could have a less terrible drop off of just like 60%, which would still mean bad sales.

I don't know if there's another game in the same situation as this one, for a good comparison tbh.

Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are, but only for the Wii U, should have precised, my bad. There are only 3 games doing better, all 3 on 3DS, 2 of them being massive sales juggernauts too (Monster Hunter and Youkai Watch, I don't know what is Monster Strike).

I don't think that this game really could have performed better, this is a JRPG on Wii U. Having Splatoon and Super Mario Maker competing with it doesn't help, but is obviously not the main reason the game won't do that well imo.

It's just a game that doesn't appeal to many people and on the wrong game system. On neogaf, quite many people were saying they'd expect it to sell twice or three times what it sold if it were on the vita (which is famous for getting games like it) or even the 3DS

Also just to clarify, the holiday season, from the second halfbof december to the first week of january is huge in video games sales in japan. It's not rare to see consoles selling 5 times what they usualy sell, for exemple.

This description explains better why the game won't perform that well imo. I think that no one would argue that the game could have done much, much better on 3DS, or Playstation (whether 3, 4 or Vita), where RPG audience is much bigger so the game would have been better received.

I still think that way of looking at the game is wrong though. I mean, not literally "wrong", but it's only looking at games as product to be sold, which they are.

But some games are also about what the creators/developers want to do (sorry, but I'll get a little sidetracked here).

Which is imo the interesting part here, because I've seen this game get a LOT of complains, because it isn't a strict FE Tactical RPG with demons or a SMT games with FE characters (well, it kind of is...), but mostly over its aesthetics.

With things like (convenient example) :

Yikes. I love Atlus, so this disappoints my greatly. Even though I won't get this game, I hoped it would fare better, because I want Atlus to have a bright future. I guess I lost faith in this game when I saw how weeaboo it was. I wanted a darker game like DDS or Nocturne. =/

I don't blame people who don't find the game appealing, but do you think any of it was imposed by Nintendo ? Or Atlus forced the "idol stuff" because they wanted it to sell better ? If they wanted the game to sell well, they probably wouldn't have strayed this far from usual SMT or FE. I may be naive, but I believe they made the game that way because that's what they wanted to do.

I wouldn't have minded a more direct approach too, but they did what they wanted, they did something new, and it matters, atleast to me, even if it doesn't sell well in the end. Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Avk

The silly anime stuff was actually the reason I was excited about the game haha I have a mountain of dark games to get through, so the bright fluff is totally welcome in my collection. It's hard to find a good silly anime game that's actually well, good. Most of it tends to be poorly made garbage.

I feel like this game would have had way more potential buyers on the 3DS or possibly even Playstation.

That actually seems like a major reason. The Wii U hasn't seen an original release of any game possibly connected to this "crossover", and consoles in general aren't as hot as handhelds in Japan.

Couple that with the change of direction mid-development that left fans on both sides less than pleased, and it's very unsurprising that the game's only managed to sell 23K.

I don't blame people who don't find the game appealing, but do you think any of it was imposed by Nintendo ? Or Atlus forced the "idol stuff" because they wanted it to sell better ? If they wanted the game to sell well, they probably wouldn't have strayed this far from usual SMT or FE. I may be naive, but I believe they made the game that way because that's what they wanted to do.

I actually think the "idol stuff" was decided upon after the realizations I mentioned above hit them.

It's on the Wii U, which neither fanbase has any attachment to; a hail-marry attempt at boosting sales probably resounded more than just playing things straight and virtually guaranteeing low sales.

$5 says it's digital only in NA and it gets a limited print run of 20 copies in Europe

Just like Fatal Frame

with subs only

If I was allowed to gamble, I'd raise that to $25.

It sold better digitally then physically...

Still not a lot. Not too surprised. I've seen a lot of vitriol for his game... I was never big on it so it isn't too much of a loss imo.

If I may be perfectly honest, I thought that this game was going to do well in Japan despite that it wasn't what fans were expecting. Wasn't planning on buying it because it wasn't what I expected or was hoping for (something more akin to Warhammer with SMT and FE characters). I believe another reason why it's not selling well is because SMT, or rather the Persona sub-series, already got an Idol-esque game this year: Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Which sounds better, having characters you know and love dance to remixes of some of your favorite Persona songs, or try to get invested in new characters and hope that the game's songs click with you? I know my choice.

Eh, forget the haters. I hope this game does better in the coming days. That and I hope the digital sales are significant since we don't have numbers on that.

If it gets localized here and it is digital only I'd be disappointed, but on the other hand if it is japanese with subtitles only I'd be totally ok with that. I can understand enough Japanese when it comes to speaking/listening. I have trouble with music because music is weird.

All that said, listening to the rest of the sound track that has been posted on the internet I do think the music is really well done overall. People may hate pop music and stuff but that is not all there is. I'm particularly fond of the battle themes.

Joining the "didn't give a fuck about the game, still was hoping that it'd sell better regardless" camp. Some very cool people were working on this and I'd be happy if they could continue to work on uh...other games in the future, so a flop in the making like this is disheartening.

I didn't write my first impressions about the game, but for me it looked poorly designed in terms of lacking a clever objective. What's the point of the game? Just another standard RPG like usual? Even the mixture of both franchises seemed kinda of odd to me in overall terms ...

Regardless, it will be a shame if the game's production loses more money than earn it, but from an economical point of view, I can't tell much.

Edited by Edrall