Lord Glenn's Mausoleum

Lord Glenn

Welcome to my sprite topic. Though, this sprite topic will be more like a museum, considering I don't sprite very often. When I do, it tends to be miniscule work or something that takes me very long to do. Basically, this won't get updated much. But, I invite you to look anyway. (Also, these are far from all of my works. These are just the ones relatively fitting to be posted.)
(One note of forwarning. A large majority of these sprites were made just for the recreational purpose of *spriting*. If you're looking for stuff for hacks, you're primarily out of luck (though, I do have a FEW things that would be hack-ready).)

[spoiler=Backstory stuff]I've been spriting since late 2005 (early '06 at the latest), so a lot of the work below reflects the more simplistic design standards of that time; there aren't a lot of completely custom works since basically no one did them that far back (though, a small number had started to branch out and delve into it). Having started back then and hitting the upper-end of high school and the start of college when the craft started dramatically evolving, I didn't exactly have the free time to keep up with the changes to what really made sprites stand out. (Plus, my artistic skill on a scale from 1 to 10 is about a 2, so creating things from scratch is extremely tricky and time-consuming (no notion of proportions, etc.).)

Unlike most spriters, I never really got into doing face sprites/mugs/whatever you want to call them. I can count on one hand the number that I've made via splicing in the ~5 years that I've been doing this. I chose moreso to focus on creating battle scenes that could be displayed as signatures or whatever you wanted them to be used for. (Thus, as an offshoot of this, I ended up dabbling more in battle sprites, templates, and weapon icons.) So, don't be alarmed when the majority of the works that will be posted here mainly fall into those sections. Though I've jumped back into the craft after a few years of basically not touching it, college basically dampens the time that I have to do most anything, so I really only sprite when I've got a creative flow going and I have something to work on. (Which, given the amount of time I can usually spend at once on a sprite, means that smaller and easier sprites are my "forte" these days (i.e. weapon icons).)

I guess that covers the backstory type of information, so I have a final "disclaimer" before actually posting stuff. Given the age of most of what I'm about to post, a very large number of the images will not meet actual game limitations (15+1 colors (and exact palettes that are used in-game such as for weapons), RGB values that are multiples of 8, etc.), so I don't really want to hear about that. (Personally, if the image isn't going to be used in a Fire Emblem game/hack, I'd rather the image look the way I want than be forced to meet requirements that it doesn't need to. Sure, keeping everything to the correct palettes and such makes things more authentic and "challenging" in some senses, but that still doesn't mean that you have to do it for static images.) Newer stuff (late '07 until now, I'd wager) doesn't have this issue however (working on ROM hacking projects tends to keep you in the engine's mindset).

[spoiler=Older Works]
First, we have one of the less interesting pieces to be displayed in here.
Section 1 - Image 1
Nothing really special about this one, aside from the spell effect. Probably my favorite one that I've done.
(Individual components for the effects were taken from across the web.)

Next, we feature three scenes all using a template that I worked on a long time ago. They were made from a customized FE8 template (crossed with part of FE7's).
Section 2 - Image 1
Section 2 - Image 2
Elaine_Jonathan.png
Blank Template
These scenes used to impress me more than they do now (in light of recent works), but I still think they're nice enough to post.
The first scene features a still frame of a spell (composed of parts from Bolting, Gespenst, Apocalypse, the Promotion Lightning (FE7), and parts from an RPG Maker XP spell sheet) along with a tweaked Sage battle sprite, using Mage Knight 404's "split dress" design (which he ok'd the use of longggggggggggggg ago for this).
Scene two features a crappy Eltosian battle sprite and a slightly better Master Knight sprite. The only thing I really like about this scene is the fog effect (colorized Excalibur frames (FE8)) and how it mixes with the background. (Why can't the actual games have effects like this? Yes, I know that FE9/10 kind of have them, but they could be so much more elaborate...)
Scene three is the nicest of the group, though that's due in part to Miskantdhur (of FESS)'s wonderful Rexcalibur animation that we tweaked to work for the positioning that is used in the scene. Elaine's battle sprite is actually much nicer than Jonathan's, so it's a shame that you can't see it in this scene. :/

Now, we have two battle sheets that were made for a long dead hacking project (well before FEditor Adv's custom animation builder - back when you had to overwrite animations). They were based on a character that was using a mug reminiscent of Tiltyu from FE4 and were supposed to be a Cleric -> Bishop. Thus, the following sheets were made:
Sheet 1
Sheet 2
I still like these, and if I wasn't always busy, I'd think of making actual custom animations for it instead.

Here we have a more recent battle scene and template that I've done. Modeled after the Kirby series, a decent amout of the work on this was done from scratch, while looking at reference images.
Section 4 - Image 1
The template can be found here.
If you been on SF since I joined, you've likely seen the first image before, since it's been in my signature from time to time. I do like the scene, largely because I'm a snow kinda guy.

Following this theme, we now have come across a statsheet template based around the Kirby series. This is done less from scratch, with only some individual components being done as such:
Statsheet 1 - Personal
Statsheet 2 - Lucia (Lunar 2)
Template can be found here.
Mage Knight 404 made the face sprite of Lucia. Similarly, Black Dragon created the face sprite being used as my personal face sprite.

Also featured are some random bits and pieces done with varying templates:
Random Stuff - Image 1
Made with Mage Knight 404's A Sacred Dawn battle template (slightly older version). The map in the background can be seen further down in this post in its entirety.
Made with VincentASM's FEDS battle template.
(Formerly) Current statsheet, made with VincentASM's FE10 statsheet template. (Note: Black Dragon made the face sprite.)
You can check these out at your leisure.

[spoiler=Weapon Icons]
FE9IconRecompile.png
A partial compilation of GBA versions of FE9's icons. Axes are my bane when it comes to icons, so I doubt those will ever get finished. Free for use, though these really aren't up to quality standards any longer.

MeteorFE9.png
Update to the Meteor icon. Free for use.

RagnellIcon.pngAlonditeIcon.png
Ragnell and Alondite updates. Free for use.

2010 Weapon Icon Compilation
A generic compilation image. Most of these are icons that I've made for myself for various battle scenes. GBA versions of FE10's dark tomes are also on here (though the last icon should have been up top with the icons that I had just made out of the blue) as well as icons that I've done for hacks and icons that don't fit at all with FE's icons.

FE4 Holy Weapons, V1.0
All 13 Holy Weapons from FE4/5 in GBA format. Most are based on the art on Fire Emblem World, though Balmung, Gaebolg, and Gungnir had other references as well. The fletching on Ichival and the basic tome designs are the only things that I didn't sprite from scratch. Free for use, but why would you want to use the older versions?

HolyWeaponsNew.png
Updated Holy Weapon icons. Felt like they could use some sprucing up. Free for use.

TrentIconsFinal-upd6.png
A sheet comprising most of the weapon icons that I've made that are currently featured in FE4: Rebirth. Obviously, mine are the ones with the lighter background color. Some can be seen in the above sheets, others are tweaks of ones above, while the rest are new.

A single icon that I happen to like which was made for something on FES.
Icon for FEC on FES
Just a random Light tome, but I thought the design was actually kind of cool when I finished it.

ElibianNights-v2.pngEN_Axe.pngCleaveBow.pngArtemis.pngEN_Silencer.pngHrunting.pngTonic.pngPowerStaff_EN.pngRuneStaff_EN.pngSalve_EN.pngGreatlance_EN.pngYewLongbow_EN.png
New icons for Elibian Nights. Not going to spoil what they are (well, the first two should be obvious, but not telling for the others..!), so you'll have to play the hack to see for yourself! :D

GBA Bronze Weapons
Weapon icons for the Bronze Weapons. Free to use.

Also, a very minute teaser set of icons for something I'm working on...
Teaser Set 1
(From left to right, top row to bottom: Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Anima, Light, Dark, Staff, Palette)

New icons for FE4R. Not added to the main sheet, because I honestly don't remember what's been added where anymore.
FE4R_NewIcons_Jan21.png

Teaser Set Part 2:
Teaser Set 2
(From left to right, top row to bottom: Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Anima, Light, Dark, Staff, Palette)

ThunderLanceSFContest.pngSFIconRound2.pngSFIconContestRd3.pngSFIconRd5.pngSFIconRd7.pngSF_Icon_Round11.pngSF_Round12.pngSE_Icon_StaffRd.png
Icons for SF's Custom Icon Contest.

Type4Broadsword.pngPealStaff.pngEpicenterNew.png
Icons for Yuri's Sidestory.

NewTeaserSet.png
New teaser set of icons.

FreeSword.png
Random icon. Free for use (but not modification).

Icons for Hero of Time's hacking project:
Iron Sword
Slim Sword
Steel Sword
Silver Sword
Iron Lance
Slim Lance
Poison Lance
Steel Lance
Silver Lance
Iron Axe
Steel Axe
Silver Axe
Iron Bow
Poison Bow
Steel Bow
Silver Bow

OUTDATED - SEE CUSTOM ICON TUTORIAL V2.0 BELOW SPOILERS.
Also, here's a link to my Custom Weapon Icon Tutorial, if that kind of thing interests you. Seeing as a wide variety of people either don't bother making new icons for hacks or, frankly, make terrible ones, I wrote this to try to help people improve the quality and creativeness of their icons.

[spoiler=Templates]
FE4R-Stat-Upd.png
Statsheet template for FE4R. The "cloud"-like background was taken from FE5 and palette tweaked. The silhouette of the dragon was cropped from Narga's frames, slightly tweaked and then flood filled. The Holy Blood circle behind it is a tweaked pixel over from the FE4 statsheet. The border around the face sprite box was inspired by parts of FE10's interface.

Original WIP Battle template for FE4R
Since the hack is sequel to the darkest FE game out there, I wanted the template to be dark and reminiscent of medieval times. The circles were originally supposed to be orbs/spheres, but I had no idea how to shade them at the time. This version would eventually be struck down since it didn't really fit the TSA that FE8 uses.

FE4R Battle Template V1.0a
Demo Scene 1
My take on a possible finished version that didn't care for the game's rules in places, complete with a mockup scene to go along with it. You can actually see Elaine's battle sprite this time!

FE4R Battle Template V2.0
Since version 1 got blown out of the sky, I upped the ante and went for version 2. The towers now have flags (with crappy shading), we have shields (referenced from the Shield item in Link's Awakening, yet shaded completely by hand) for the Hit/Dmg/Crt boxes, and something that was supposed to be gems/jewels for the HP Box area. FE8's TSA really didn't like this, even though the following mockup actually looks quite nice...
Demo Scene 2
(Yes, bright Light spell is bright.)

Since, again, FE8 refused to like my templates, I adapted this one to something that looked a bit cleaner because I could:
FE4R Battle Template V2.0a
Demo Scene 3
"Same" scene as the previous mockup, yet without the light spell so that my "new" personal battle sprite could be seen (which actually wasn't in the last scene - a significantly less custom/tweaked battle sprite splice was).
The shield shading became mirrored on the right, the flag shading was improved, and the design in the HP area changed.

FE4RBattleTemp-m.png
Current version of FE4R Battle Template Ver. 3.0. Knots are Celtic in origin.

And a demo scene.
FE4R_Demo_New.png

LinoanStatSig-c.png
Statsheet of Linoan (mug and map sprite by MK404). Icons were referenced from the TCG artwork. Got lazy with the weapon level icons, so I used FE5's.
The base template can be found here. Note that you'll need to use the above statsheet for placement, as Ice Dragon's positioning templates for FE8 only partially work for this template.

[spoiler=Maps]
Lastly, maps, made in Mappy:
YSCh2Update.png
I originally had a much older version with tons of issues and this resulted from the clean up. EDIT(5/21/11) - Updated again.

SeaMap2.png
Gimmick-y Sea Map.

FE5Ch14Fixed.png
Redux of Ch. 14 in FE5. EDIT(4/5/11) - Edited due to Thicket tiles.

LG_MapContest1.png
Map made for Mapping Competition Round 1. Went for an island castle type of flavor.

Round 4 Map
Map for Competition Round 4. Based on an old chapter concept I had.

ASDMapUpdate.png
Revised version of the above map, expanded beyond the limitations of the competition and generally improved. EDIT(5/21/11) - Fixed, final version of the map.

FE4RMap-b.png
Map for seph1212. Hero of Time did the insides of the mountain ranges.

FE8_Castle_ASD_Full-d.png
Map for A Sacred Dawn.

HackMapA.png
Random castle+village map. Front gate was kind of inspired by the Rogue Encampment from Diablo II.
Above map's tile changes

FE5Final_FE7DG-a.png
FE5's Final Chapter map envisioned in FE7 using the Dragon's Gate tileset.

Link to Custom Icon Tutorial v2.0.

Thanks for visiting LG's Mausoleum!

EDIT (2/2/2011) - First post has been cleaned up and added to. Sprites have been grouped and spoiler'd to reduce page stretching.

EDIT (6/7/11) - New map and some new icons added.

EDIT (7/1/11) - Some images converted to links, to free up room for more images later.

Edited by Lord Glenn

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely amazing! Great job! You are an amazing spriter! Props.

I appreciate the comment.

The second picture on the left looks like the person is casting Tron

Wasn't intended to (considering I hadn't really seen much of FE4 at that point), but I can see where you're coming from.

Thats some great stuff. I take it you specialize in the battle scenes and templates.

I used to specialize mainly in battle scenes and templates mainly just for spriting. Nowadays, I mainly sprite weapon icons, and on an rare occasion, templates for hacks.

Nice stuff. Not much else to say. 'Cept that the war hammer is puny.

Blame that on the reference image. That and the miniature dimensions for the weapon icon sprites. I could retool it to fill the entire 16x16 box, but I'd have to get the motivation to do so, especially because it was only used in that old image.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, as promised, I bring more goods, namely three sets of weapon icons spanning a large portion of my spriting career:

First up, a generic compilation image. As with the above post, a large chunk of these icons are not natively GBA-friendly. If you see something interesting, let me know and I could possibly convert it.

2010_Icon_Compile.png

- The first six rows comprise icons that I've done mainly for my personal use in battle scenes, statsheets, etc. A decent handful of the first couple of rows were icons for a hack project that I had been working on as part of a group before it died due to the project lead disappearing from the internet for a long time.

- The next row are GBA representations of the FE10 Dark Tomes (minus the last one, which should have been in the first set).

- The next group of two rows are icons that I've done for Mage Knight 404's two ROM hacks, FE404 and FE: A Sacred Dawn.

- The row below that contains icons that I made for Blazer a couple of years ago for his hack, PoD.

- The next row down has icons that I made for flyingace24 and his hacks.

- The row with two icons contains icons that I made for someone who decided to have the daunting task of running a FE map RP and creating statsheets for all of the allies and enemies that appeared on each map. Needless to say, it died off before I could ever finish the icons for it.

- The last row contains icons that I've made that don't fit anywhere in the FE style of icons.

Next, a compilation image of icons converted from FE9 to FE6/7/8 style icons:

FE9IconRecompile.png

This one is pretty self-explanatory. I never finished the sheet, mainly because Axe and Bow weapon icons tend to make me very aggravated (mainly Axe, but some Bows can be a pain). These should all be GBA-friendly, unless I happened to glance over one of the icons when I recompiled all of the ones I had done a few years ago.

Finally, one of my more recent accomplishments, a sheet of recreated FE4 Holy Weapon icons, in FE6/7/8 style:

Trent_FE4Holy.png

These were made for my pal, seph1212, for his FE8 hack that he is working on. They're mainly based on the artwork on Fire Emblem World for the icons, with the only exceptions being Gae Bolg, Gungnir, and, IIRC, Balmung. Aside from the notching on Ichival's arrow and the tome book structure, everything was sprited from scratch.

Anyway, that's all for now, though hopefully I'll have something to post within the next week which should liven this thread up a bit.

Edited by Lord Glenn

I have no problem with it. Obviously, some of the sets aren't done, so you may end up with a set of conflicting icons...

Just make sure to throw a note in a Readme or Credits section saying that I made them and it's cool with me.

I already started one, so you'll be in there, thanks.

And I know that those aren't all the FE9 icons, i just needed certain weapons since some of mine I'm not happy with.

Do you think you could by chance finish the axe icons? That's the place where I struggle the most.

If I feel motivated enough to work on them and have the time, I might consider it. Though, as I mentioned in my description of it, I tend to hate spriting Axe icons, just because they can be so annoying. So, I'll have to have a lot of motivation to get them done. If I do work on them, I should probably alter the ones that are there currently too, since they don't exactly match up with the way axe icons are structured...

You give me more credit than I'm due, VASM. :[

And, yeah, it's become more of my forte as of late. I mean, even when I was regularly spriting other things, I'd have to make weapon icons for them, but it just got to the point that I'd only have a small amount of time to sprite, and working on a 16x16 image that I could crank out in less than an hour was just more productive than working on something much larger over the span of two weeks for like 20 minutes at a time.

-------------------------------

Also, I bring more new updates. I finished this earlier in the week and had been working on it for a couple of weeks on and off in total.

Since it's been inserted and revealed to some of the project threads, I can post it here:

TrentStatTemp-a.png

This is the new statsheet template for seph1212's hack, FE4 Resurrection. It was mostly sprited from scratch (obviously using the original FE8 template as an underlying base), barring the dragon (cropped from two screenshots of Narga's animation and then flood filled to get the silhouette effect), the "seal" behind the dragon (which was taken from FE4's Holy Blood circle and penciled over and edited), and the backgrounds (which were taken from FE5 and color reduced). I'm happy with the overall result, and it's a nice change compared to most of the statsheets out there, IMHO.

Edited by Lord Glenn

And, yeah, it's become more of my forte as of late. I mean, even when I was regularly spriting other things, I'd have to make weapon icons for them, but it just got to the point that I'd only have a small amount of time to sprite, and working on a 16x16 image that I could crank out in less than an hour was just more productive than working on something much larger over the span of two weeks for like 20 minutes at a time.

Haha, that's about the same reason I've been messing around with item sprites. These days, I'm way too busy or unmotivated to work on larger sprites : /

Also, I bring more new updates. I finished this earlier in the week and had been working on it for a couple of weeks on and off in total.

Since it's been inserted and revealed to some of the project threads, I can post it here:

TrentStatTemp-a.png

This is the new statsheet template for seph1212's hack, FE4 Resurrection. It was mostly sprited from scratch (obviously using the original FE8 template as an underlying base), barring the dragon (cropped from two screenshots of Narga's animation and then flood filled to get the silhouette effect), the "seal" behind the dragon (which was taken from FE4's Holy Blood circle and penciled over and edited), and the backgrounds (which were taken from FE5 and color reduced). I'm happy with the overall result, and it's a nice change compared to most of the statsheets out there, IMHO.

Nice, that looks really cool.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head, using Trent's screen as a reference:

It might just be me, but the name box seems a bit dark in contrast with the rest of the design (reaching FE9's level of darkness). I realise you might not have much colours to choose from, since you need it to be inserted into the game.

Also, the name box seems a bit too tall, with too much large space below the name. Maybe you could add a pattern to fill up the space, but I'm not sure if it would make the box seem too thin (I get that problem sometimes, like in your current signature image).

The class box seems a bit busy/small. It might be because of the golden lines to either side. For instance, one of them is touching the class sprite holder.

I'm not really sure about those little boxes to the very top/bottom/left/right of the main half of the screen. They just doesn't seem add much. Also, the top the bottom ones don't align with eachother.

Edited by VincentASM

I was going for something that stood out from the rest of the template for the name box. I also didn't want to, yet again, use the FE5 background that the other three main areas were using, so I went with the straight brown. Plus, yeah, I'm at the color limit already for the template, so there really isn't any kind of pattern I could add to the inside of the area.

Name box issue is fixed now (see bottom of post). I thought I followed the line on the FE8 template, but it's possible I overcompensated or something. (Or it's just less noticeable in the FE8 template...)

Hopefully, shrinking the name box should have alleviated the cramped feeling of the "Class" box. And, I offer MK404's Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn statsheet as a counterpoint to the "behind the map sprite" argument. Granted, mine infringes the inside a bit more, but I hardly think it's that big of an issue.

The things over top of the "chains" are there to so everything across the border isn't all the same. Just adding some space. And, I fixed the disparity between the top and bottom things as well. I guess that's what you get for using Flip and Mirror on something that can't be centered correctly... >_>

(Updated version.)

TrentStatTemp-c.png

• 1 month later...

Only a month without an update? I impress myself. I expected it to be more like 5 months to a year. XD

TrentBattleTemp-u3.png

WIP Battle Template for FE4R. I primarily want feedback on the shading of the "castle towers" that will be the "name" box for the characters. There'll be more added there (to make it more readable and such), but I wanted to get the basic shading down first.

And, if you want something else to think about, I'm looking for opinions as to whether I should put some kind of design or something over top of the red/blue area where the HP values and bars are at. I've tried to come up with something, but I can't think of a good design that fits and my free drawing doesn't really accomplish much that looks nice.

It's for a "sequel" to FE4, arguably the darkest FE title thus far, hence the dark palette. It sets the mood (hopefully). Granted, this is only a "mockup," since I can't tell how it would look in-game right now. If it's too dark once it's in-game, I can always adjust the palette.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Lord Glenn

I like how the towers are sprited, I think you should continue with them and see how they look. Although I'm not sure about how the circles used for the hit/dam/crit numbers look (assuming it's not filler). It kind of reminds me of something from FE10, but it seems a bit too large for GBA-sytle.

And, if you want something else to think about, I'm looking for opinions as to whether I should put some kind of design or something over top of the red/blue area where the HP values and bars are at. I've tried to come up with something, but I can't think of a good design that fits and my free drawing doesn't really accomplish much that looks nice.

Is this for the background? Have you tried using some kind of cloudy texture like in your statsheet?

I like how the towers are sprited, I think you should continue with them and see how they look. Although I'm not sure about how the circles used for the hit/dam/crit numbers look (assuming it's not filler). It kind of reminds me of something from FE10, but it seems a bit too large for GBA-sytle.

Is this for the background? Have you tried using some kind of cloudy texture like in your statsheet?

Well, the towers themselves are predominantly done. I made add a window type of thing so that it looks more like a medieval tower, but aside from that, I'm going to add something on top of them for the name box stuff.

The circles aren't done yet. Provided that they fit (which I have someone hopefully checking for me in the coming days), they're going to be shaded to appear like glass spheres (assuming that I can get the shading down). However, I'm not about to shade them if they aren't going to fit, so...

Think of it as a texture or something instead. Like how FE8's template has the darker colored designs over top of the lighter blue or red/orange areas (respectively). Something that makes it stand out a bit more. It may not cover the entire area.

And, it's nice to know that my shading on the towers seems to look nice. For a first attempt at ever doing something like that, I'm happy that I didn't screw it up. XD

Good that you're posting more often lately. But er...the towers don't have any

shading. They're just there.

Ok, lighting then, not shading. (Unless you didn't see the darker and lighter pixels in the brick to give the illusion of rounding...)

Any suggestions on how better to shade it then?

Slight update to the towers. Even though they aren't insertable like this (and, the circles weren't anyway, so I'm making this my own personal template), I need some help on how to shade the flags that I've added:

MyNewTemplate-flag.png

Each flag is supposed to be in an S-shape if you went "inside" the template and looked at the side of the flag (i.e. the z-depth of the flag). Basically, at the top the flag is closer to your face, moves further away, and the tip moves back towards your face. Only problem is, I have no idea how to shade them whatsoever, seeing as I generally don't do too many sprites with this kind of complexity (i.e. portraits, full bodies, etc.). Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. (And, if anyone does help, you can nominate an idea for a central design for the flag too.)