Fire Emblem 6: Easier Hack (Updated July 2, 2013)

tacticianjenro

He caps HP naturally. You don't need to give him a 190% HP growth.

You know what confuses me? I'm about 90% sure that HP growth is a signed byte (at least in FE8), or at least that's what Nightmare is telling me. As such, its cap would be somewhere in the range of, what, 127% (from -128 to 127, IIRC)? I remember Nightmare freaking out and putting a negative when I tried to put a HP growth of 130 in there.

Mind you, it makes no sense to me that it's a signed byte. I mean, who the hell programs a FE game to decrease a character's max HP (or any stat, really) on level up?

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd keep tweaking it a little bit more but it looks good otherwise.

EDIT: ^Mainly with regards to characters like the ones Anouleth mentioned

(On a side note would you mind if I uploaded it to my hack directory? Just need an official name for the hack, creator, and version #, and your permission of course, which you can PM me or something)

Hi! I just uploaded a new version and hope that could make the hack better. Yes, you can upload it to your FE hack directory. :)

Edited by tacticianjenro

it's a lot more likely that whoever coded the module made it a signed byte instead of the game being signed

If you mean what I think you mean (as in, the module is treating it as a signed byte when it's not in the ROM), I just tested it by setting it to 200% HP growth, leveling a unit to 20, and checking the results. Nightmare reports a negative growth.

It does, in fact, reduce the HP below base when you check the unit in-game.

I don't think you understand what I mean when I tell you that four is an abysmal strength stat for Wolt to have. I mean, even Wil's six is considered 'kind of bad'.

All you've done is given him two points by 20 Archer and two more by 20 Sniper, so realistically probably three in all. If you want people to actually train him...

Again, I know this isn't a balance patch but...

Also just noticed that axes are now as weak as lances with... I don't know FE6 lance accuracy, but either equal or less in that regard. That's... not right.

I'm confused as to why you'd a) need to make FE6 easier in the first place, and b) why on earth you made changes that don't necessarily work to that goal at all.

You haven't changed the dynamic of the game at all, merely taken a giant piss over axe users, buffed people who don't need to be buffed and ignored those who really do.

I'm confused as to why you'd a) need to make FE6 easier in the first place, and b) why on earth you made changes that don't necessarily work to that goal at all.

You haven't changed the dynamic of the game at all, merely taken a giant piss over axe users, buffed people who don't need to be buffed and ignored those who really do.

A lot of people have problems with FE6 on Hard Mode. Personally, I consider people finding Hard Mode hard to be good game design rather than something to be fixed.

That's not to say that there can't be quality of life improvements, like boosting accuracy rates, making certain recruitments easier, making the game not quite so reliant on picking the "right" characters to use. But that's not /really/ making the game easier, it's making the game better.

I mean, who the hell programs a FE game to decrease a character's max HP (or any stat, really) on level up?

It's perfect in some cases. I have a plan to have a jeigan character who gets weaker due to an illness so every level his stats decrease. If you don't ever use him, he's awesome for the final chapters, and if you need him in the early game he's very servicable.

Tate

Base Strength +1

Base Defense +1

Base Resistance +1

Strength Growth from 40 to 60%

Resistance Growth from 20 to 25%

I approve.

But yeah, I agree with what the others have said. I'd say Wendy and Sophia still need a bit of buffing up, like Wendy's STR growth also needs to be 60%, or something. And Sophia needs to be speedy.

It's perfect in some cases. I have a plan to have a jeigan character who gets weaker due to an illness so every level his stats decrease. If you don't ever use him, he's awesome for the final chapters, and if you need him in the early game he's very servicable.

To say I find that sadisitic design on behalf of the player would be an understatement. As a player, I'd much rather see FE12's style of a sick Jeigan.

I don't think you understand what I mean when I tell you that four is an abysmal strength stat for Wolt to have. I mean, even Wil's six is considered 'kind of bad'.

All you've done is given him two points by 20 Archer and two more by 20 Sniper, so realistically probably three in all. If you want people to actually train him...

Again, I know this isn't a balance patch but...

Also, this. Wolt doesn't really need more base defense so much as he needs more base strength. Archers, when played well, don't really get hit a ton and shouldn't be designed around it. I mean, I do kind of like Wil for the fact he has just enough defense/HP to take a hit in sticky situations, but it's his STR coupled with the power of brave bow that I really like. Archers really need to be PP powerhouses simply for the fact that they usually don't have an EP unless you game the AI (i.e. stand at the edge of the range of a javelin user/mage/etc.), and buffing Wolt's STR, as well as probably buffing the MT of bows by 1 or 2, will accomplish that sufficiently.

that is such a cool idea, and it would be a good way to handle seth in a fe8 balance patch

that is such a cool idea, and it would be a good way to handle seth in a fe8 balance patch

It seems like a silly gimmick. How slowly do enemies have to grow that a jeigan has to have negative growths in order to fall off later on in the game?

If you mean what I think you mean (as in, the module is treating it as a signed byte when it's not in the ROM), I just tested it by setting it to 200% HP growth, leveling a unit to 20, and checking the results. Nightmare reports a negative growth.

It does, in fact, reduce the HP below base when you check the unit in-game.

first off, there is no such thing as a signed or unsigned byte in a ROM, -1 and 255 look identical in a hex editor

http://puu.sh/2XNVP.png

if it works as you say, karel's stats sans lck/def/res would always go down on his single level (he has a -125 str growth by your method, for reference), but nobody has ever reported anything of the sort

first off, there is no such thing as a signed or unsigned byte in a ROM, -1 and 255 look identical in a hex editor

http://puu.sh/2XNVP.png

if it works as you say, karel's stats sans lck/def/res would always go down on his single level (he has a -125 str growth by your method, for reference), but nobody has ever reported anything of the sort

Okay, so I did a test that lasted longer than 30 seconds, and I got more information.

A) I was using the FE8 ROM, and I think I accidentally checked the (M) HP base instead of the (F) HP base, which caused my mistake. When I set the HP growth to 128 (which Nightmare stores as -128), I accidentally assumed the value was slightly below HP base when it was exactly at base.

B) When I set HP growth for a class to 127 and a HP base of 20, the level 20 promoted enemies have ~69 HP due to autoleveling. When I set the HP growth to 128, however, the same enemies have only 20 HP. This strongly suggests one of two things:

> All growths above 127 are set to 0.

> The growths are in fact negative; however, at least when autoleveling, the ROM will not allow a stat to drop below the base, although there may be exceptions I don't know about.

C) I then was curious to see if I set a growth to negative this way and leveled a character, would it decrease the stat? I found something unexpected (and also solves a quandry you posed in your last post) -- when you set a growth for a character, values 128+ are not considered negative; in other words, Karel can have those growths but a generic enemy cannot because class growths seem to be capped at 127. This seems like a pointless restriction, considering the fact that even if you WANTED to set a growth negative, the game prevents it from having any effect; again, unless there's something happening behind the curtain I don't know about. Sorry Klok, looks like unless you mess with ASM, you can't achieve the Sick Sadist Seth you wanted.

P.S. I use "signed bytes" for lack of a better term, tbh. When I said "signed," I basically meant that the ROM treats values of 1-127 as positive and values of 128+ as -1*(255-VALUE IN HEX)

i'm just gonna step back in to confirm that the game loads player growths as unsigned and class growths as signed

i can post a code dump if you guys want

Edited by CT075

using fe7 because i have most of the offsets on-hand (it's the same for fe6 but i'm too tired to deal with it right now)

also not gonna post the entire thing because it's long as fuck but mostly the same thing for all of them

2YvY9.png

this is the routine that loads player growths, it uses ldrb which is unsigned load from memory. the routine itself basically loads each growth and feeds it into a separate routine that checks if it's proc'd

Are you as curious as I am as to why they made one signed and one unsigned (assuming they did)? I mean, I don't think that IS ever made a class have growths over 100% in the GBA games, so it doesn't matter to them, but it still strikes me as an odd choice.

"Oh, hey, guys, I coded it so that only half the values in the bytes that control class growth are functional!"

(Btw, thanks for the confirmation from the ROM)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...