Angelic Devotion Ch1

Kanami

Bullet ran back to the fort once his energy returned. Back in the good old days, he was the speedy one. Because of this, it only took him 20 minutes to reach the fort that lay 30 minutes away. Upon reaching it...

"No way." He couldn't get his mouth to utter more than those two words when he came upon the smoking wreck that was the fort.

Bullet started looking around for survivors, but there weren't any. The fort was mainly deserted.

"What- What happened here?"

Edited by Camtech075

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kieru had been on her way to greet the men clad in red when she was scooped off her feet and was carried off in the other direction. She struggled against the man at first but quickly figuring out that she didn't have any chance of overpowering the mercenary she decided she'd save her energy for when the man let his guard down. That and she was feeling dizzy from the healing. Or was this nausea? She wasn't sure but she didn't feel too well mentally that's for sure.

She opened her mouth as she was hefted rather violently, but the man seemed to have notice her discontent and treated her as a living being, opposed to a sack of potatoes. Instead of complaining she asked the man where they were headed. But the man seemed to be lost in thought. For a few seconds she was wondering if the man had bumped his head during the explosion causing him to act the way he was, but he seemed to have made up his mind and started walking again. "Where are we going~" she moaned clearly upset with being dragged off somewhere without being told where exactly she was being taken to.

She replied a quick reply mentioning something about a barn, before the man offered his hand to pull her up. She hesitated, now would be her best chance of getting away. Staring at the mans hand for a few seconds before sighing and giving in. At least he wasn't calling her a kid. Grabbing the mans hand she pulled herself onto the back of the horse. "Kieru" she muttered rudely in response to the man introducing himself. "Representative of...." she frowned then shook her head "Healer for the Crestian army, I suppose I don't mind getting out of here" she stated looking back at the rubble "Though Kieru is not a baby! She can walk properly and doesn't need to be carried around" she finished pouting. If he wanted to carry someone he should of carried the legless man who'd been left behind.

"Right, let's vamoose!" Beatrice grabbed up Arias up into her arm and carried him around like a sack of potatoes. The fort seemed like an entirely different place, what with everything being destroyed in the enemy's remodeling efforts. That made it all the more fun to try to her way out of the mess. She dodged falling rocks, flaming logs, berserk horses, and plenty of other distractions in an attempt to find her way out. After a while, she finally reached one of the fort gates. It was closed, but not for very long. Mysterious soldiers in deep red armor surrounded the gate, and with their battering ram, smashed the door bit by bit. From their armor and their demeanor, Beatrice could tell that not only were they not the friendly type, but also that they were slightly more competent than the Crestia cannon fodder.

"Not this way!" Beatrice doubled back, again dodging through the ruined fort atmosphere, dynamically changing as time went on. Her legs were complaining about being tired, but Beatrice had "borrowed" one of Arias's potions, curious to know what it tasted like. Bitter, bitter like licking rocks. Beatrice now reached a clearing, and saw a couple of mercenaries. One collapsed, one trying to help the collapsed one up. Also, a dragon type deal. Hey, that could be her ticket out of here. Beatrice dashed toward the wyvern, pushed aside the other people, threw Arias onto it, and readied to take off.

"Hey, magey! You know how to drive one of these thin's? Eh, nevermind, I'll wing it. Ain't nothing more than a buck, I'd bet! Hee-yaaah! Vamoose, you flippy flapper!"

Shizunai rested a bit, waiting for five minutes before running back to the fort. He reached the for withing 25 minutes, though from a distance, he saw the flames rise out of the fort.

"Retribution shall be given to those who burned this place to cinders. Granford...will fall..." he said, bowing his head.

"But the girl...is she ok?" he said, snapping his head back and ran back into Talgusa.

"Little girl? Little girl? Where are you? Are you ok?"

'Oh dear god,' Arias said, after getting up on the dragon's saddle. 'I've flown on one of these before, and I feel like I'm going to be sick already. I hate flying. Oh well, I suppose if I don't get on here, I ain't going to be around to hate flying anyway, so I suppose I've got no choice.' At this point, he was more mumbling to himself, upset at the rather unfortunate turn of events. He figured that if he were at full strength, he'd be able to take on this meager force, but knowing that he was still weakened from saving Beatrice, that he'd have no choice but to run at this point. Or fly, he thought, still not at all happy about this.

'Alright, Beatrice,' he said. 'I hope you know what you're do... Whoa!' he said, right as the dragon lifted off the ground. Right as they took off, he chanted a spell, and all of the sudden, a flash of lightning hit the ground, taking out about 4 of the soldiers out. 'Consider that payback for making me get on a dragon again! Now Beatrice, let's get out of here. I've had quite enough fun for one day...'

"Wait, really? What with your powers, we could be terrorizing the countryside, like some wrathful thunder god! Why, Arias, we could even... [dramatic pause for lightning bolts and sound of thunder] ...take over the world! Mwahahahhaha! Mwahahahhaha! AH HA HA HA AH HE HE HE HE HO HO! BWAHAHAHA, I never know how long it's okay to laugh like this." Beatrice grabbed the wyvern's reins and attempted to steer, but it was less trying to control the beast as it was trying to hold on to the darned thing as it thrashed about. It didn't take too kindly to being hijacked, since apparently it liked its previous owner quite a bit. It was pointless to try though, Beatrice had tamed wild horses just as rabid as the wyvern she was hanging onto now, albeit they weren't flying. Beatrice and Arias traveled back in and forth to the town then back in the time span of slightly less than thirty minutes. Or at least, it seemed that way, as the wyvern was spinning and flying so crazily that it completely made Beatrice's head go for a spin. Finally, the dragon managed to stabilize itself for just long enough for Beatrice to point and shout.

"Hey, Arias, look at all 'em runts! Roast 'em with your lightning boom bam beam!" Beatrice wasn't sure if they were allies or enemies, she just wanted to see someone writhe and twitch in electrified pain.

'I assure you that if I could, I would. Unfortunately, magical energy is... Ah, you don't want to hear the theory behind it. Long story short, I'm out of energy at the moment.' Let's get out of here, look for some survivors, and regroup. I'm too tired to do anything else right now.' Arias would have passed out at that moment, except for the fact that they were still high overhead and Arias didn't really feel like hurling down toward the ground...

"What the--?!"

By the time Ivan got back to his feet, it was too late; the two random people had already commandeered Rakka and taken to the skies. Looked like the same Tolmaen from earlier was one of them, that figured. Fucking foreigners, one would think that guys from high-browed magical academies or whatever they had down there would be pretty smart, but this particular mage was quickly proving that theory to be false. Wyverns were fierce, vicious, and trained to be very loyal to their chosen riders (or at least, this one was--it was true that Ivan hadn't seen all that many wyverns, there were barely any of them left these days); Rakka wouldn't take kindly to being hustled around by a couple of random strangers.

Sure enough, it looked like the two idiots were already just hanging on for their lives. Well, they could have fun falling into what Ivan assumed to be a contingent of Granford soldiers from however high up they were when Rakka finally managed to buck them off. In the meantime, he would hope that the wyvern could find its way back to him and Andra later, cause there was exactly nothing he could do about it right now. He'd just have to--damnit, he'd have to carry Andra out of here after all. Fucking foreigners, Ivan would have to pay this Tolmaen guy back in the extremely unlikely event that the man both survived and Ivan somehow ran into him again.

The merc hefted Andra's body up and slung him over his shoulder, then began to get out of there as fast as he could, muttering curses constantly: Some were directed at the Granf soldiers, some at the dumb Tolmaen and his girlfriend who'd screwed him over, some at foreigners in general, some at Andra for being so heavy and so unconscious, some at Laterite for being nowhere in sight. Ivan decided to make for the abandoned barn they'd discovered outside the fort a while back, because the fact was, he couldn't travel very far with Andra slung over his shoulder. The barn provided well-concealed shelter, and Ivan would need exactly that; somewhere to hole up, away from the enemy soldiers, until the wyvern rider could wake up and start moving around on his own legs. He hoped that none of the other survivors followed him out of the fort--or any of the enemy soldiers, for that matter--but there was no time to look back and see.

A pleasant surprise met Ivan at the barn. Looked like he was just in time, Laterite was saddled up and ready to go. Sadly, there was only one horse, but they'd have to deal with that after they took care of the armored footsteps Ivan heard coming up rapidly behind him. Today was just not his lucky day.

"One step ahead of me, I see. Really hoping those aren't bad guys I hear behind me," Ivan said to Laterite.

"And where do you mercenary scum think you're going, hm?" came the answer from somewhere behind him.

"Well, shit."

Ivan turned to find five red-armored soldiers facing him with swords drawn. On the one hand, there were only five. On the other hand, there were a mere 2 guys on his side, and these soldiers looked like they meant business. Ivan put Andra down and drew his saber as the enemy soldiers charged at him and Laterite; barring a miracle, they'd need some kind of help or reinforcements to get out of this one alive. Or at least, Ivan would. Laterite could easily just turn and gallop away on that horse of his, but Ivan was obviously hoping that the spy wouldn't take that option.

Edited by CATS

JUST THEN, Beatrice and Arias came storming in, the wyvern finally catching the scent of his dear master, and it crashed into the five soldiers attacking Ivan while simultaneously flinging off Beatrice and Arias to the rooftop of the barn.

"Perfect landing! I should get a job doin' this!" Beatrice proclaimed proudly from the top of the barn. "Alright, who needs a good whoopin'? The Beat will bleed 'em real nice!" Beatrice then slid down the sloped roof, and slammed into a pile of hay. "What the hell, I'm falling too damn much today!"

Beatrice saw the five soldiers scattered about, obviously surprised at the surprise dragon dive. No one expects it, after all. She unsheathed her sword, brushed the hay off her body, and hopped back in forth in place, eager to get her sword a little wet.

"Mmmm, mmm! Short one's mine, I wanna see if I can chop off a few more inches off of 'im!"

'Dang it,' Arias cursed to himself. He was quite weak by now, pretty bruised and banged up too. 'I suppose that it's time for me to make my escape for now. I'm sure that dragon's owner and his friends aren't exactly going to be happy to see me here, and if they realize what shape I'm in, I'm going to be the one on fire! Wait, this isn't the time for joking, now is it. There's no way I'm going to get out of here in one piece if I stay and fight, and I don't have the money to slip into a nearby town and rest there and resupply. And I'm much too far from the academy. That's two weeks by foot if I were in top shape, and I'm clearly not. Not to mention that those soldiers blew up the food supply when they took out the mess hall.'

'Alright, I can feel some strength returning to me. I won't be able to fight these soldiers and have the strength to deal with those mercenaries. I need to lay low. If I can slip out of the fort unnoticed, I should be able to hold out long enough to recover. I need thirty minutes. I can't fight for that much longer... If only I had that potion but... Dang it, I think that lady palmed it while we were trying to get on that forsaken air dragon. Blast. Today just is not my day.'

Edited by Cocytus

The fires and explosion were of adequate enough construction for these lessers, but it was finally time for Hubert to show off what a superior beings flame!

"Wooh hoo, round and round we go, where we stop, no one knows!" Hubert channeled his power forward and sent a few fireballs at the rotted walls of the fort. Ah, how they would burn! The magic flames impacted and began their work of making the place an even bigger fire-pit. And it was glorious!

Kieru just shook her head in disbelief. It wasn't too long ago that she'd been trying to think of little pranks to liven the place up a bit, and now here she was in what looked like a hovel, with a some noble, a sleeping man, bloodthirsty nut who she recognized from earlier, and soldiers who didn't look as friendly as she had initially hoped.

If things weren't bad enough already something came falling out of the sky. <_< The words "meteor" escaped her lips but she didn't think anyone noticed, and she was wrong anyway, as the dust settled she realized it was a ragged looking woman, with the robed man from earlier and..... a big lizard? What was the world coming to? As if to answer her question, the night sky flared up again, apparently the flames of the Fort had spread to the outer walls, she could hear shouting in the distance but she didn't have time to worry about them, she was in a bit of a situation herself

Jumping off the horse, wobbling a bit before re-balancing herself on her two feet. Her backside hurt and she wasn't in the best of moods. She looked around and found a Granite ball lying on the floor, picking it up she stared at the soldiers, apparently the woman was going to engage them in battle. Though looking at her ragged state she'd probably be butchered immediately unless she got help. After all, it was four against one, five if you included the man who was on the ground with his leg bent in an impossible angle, though fortunately for him, he was also unconscious.

Kieru is no longer in the fort, so I can't exactly respond Yoshi XD

Edited by Kanami

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Kieru. I'm sorry for carrying you, but I was worried that you might have been caught by the men, you could have easily ended up like the man you were healing. I don't know about you, but that's certainly not something I would have liked to happen." He pulled the reins, the horse began to move, and... What was that noise? Footsteps? "Oh, this just can't go any better, can it?" he said aloud, jumping from the horse... to greet Andra and Ivan. Before he could admit his relief at seeing them - although confusion that Rakka was neither here or with them, a handful of the red knights entered, armed and ready for a fight. A spy, physically frail, armed with nothing more than a saber he wasn't proficient with, and knives he would have trouble using against the foes, and Ivan, against five trained soldiers - this wasn't going to end well. As he turned to shoo the horse away, to at least save Kieru both the sight of the nights butchering the men, and being captured, he heard a low hiss, and the knights were flung away from the barn door, Rakka landing where they had just stood.

"I have never been more happy to see you in my life, drake," he said happily. Two strangers - well, one stranger, and the robed man from the fort - fell from the roof, one of them shouting madly about the fight, the other cowering in a pile of hay. He decided that, while these two weren't clad in red, they were probably not very close to friends, if they arrived with Rakka and had no control of her. Perhaps they had found the wyvern and tried to take her on a joyride - he was glad it had ended where it had possibly began. That was unimportant, though - the knights were scattered, and Rakka had returned.

"Ivan! Get Rakka, leave the soldiers to the new arrivals!" he shouted, climbing back on the horse. He reached down, grabbing Kieru by the arm, breathing out a quick apology as he set her in the saddle again. "Let her do all the work until Andra wakes up, follow me as best as you can!" With that, he nudged the horse's sides suddenly, bolting from the barn, knocking over one knight trying to rise that had gotten in their way.

He didn't know where he was going in the least. The branches were low - many were dodged with only a second to spare, others raked his arms and face cruelly, leaving welts and scratches. Soon, he broke out of the thick coverage of the trees, breaking into a more sparse grassland. Hopefully, Andra and Ivan would be able to see him now that he had broken the tree cover - he had no doubt that they would be faster than his steed, and just hoped they had spotted him as he darted in and out of the thick tree cover.

"I apologize again, Kieru - I had hoped our escape wouldn't be so exciting, but unfortunately it looks like I've misjudged my luck today." He let up on the horse, letting it slow it's sprint into a much more manageable gallop. "Although we're all still alive, I think, so that's definitely more than many at Talgusta can claim."

Edited by Purg

"The girl...did she get out maybe? I must take that chance. Staying here is death for both of us. Please don't let me be wrong," he prayed, heading out of the fort, his head bowed.

"That girl? Is she ok? Did she get out?"

Kieru pouted again as the man apologized "Is all you do apologize?" she hissed rudely at the man clearly not pleased. "Kieru isn't a little princess that needs to be protected all the time you know" she continued as the horse slowed down. Taking a look around her surroundings before deciding now was as good a time as any. She slipped out of Laterites grasp and jumped off the horse, landing in a crumpled mess as she failed to land on her two feet this time. Laterite who didn't seem to have predicted this stopped the horse and turned to face her as she dusted herself off. "Kieru doesn't trust strange people who leave their friends behind" she stated with a slight tinge of pride. "Kieru also knows that nice kind men who help Kieru want something, Kieru isn't stupid you know" she continued in a bit of a rant.

Pointing in the direction they had just come from she grimaced "Kieru wait here, so Lat, Lat-wight? go help his friends okay?" she asked as if she was telling off a child.

'Well, it looks like those mercenaries decided to bail. And Beatrice seems to be holding up quite well. She's quite the fighter, alright. I'll have to formally thank her if we get out of this place alive.'

'Flames around us. Five soldiers left. I may not be able to conjure up fire at this point, but controlling the flames around me is a far easier task, one that my limited strength can handle. If only Beatrice could get over here. Ten more feet in this direction and I should be able to channel the flames into that fancy scimitar of hers. That should help her get out of this alive. I'm not going to just let her die. After all, I'd like to actually see the person who's life I saved not die the next hour.'

Arias started chanting while stealthily closing in on the battle. Much as he'd love to call Beatrice this way, Arias was not so dumb as to realize that you don't break a swordsman... well, swordswoman's concentration during the battle.

"HEY! THOSE SAPS DITCHED US!" Beatrice angrily snapped at no one in particular. "Some soldiers, y'all a bunch of wussies! Chickens without feathers, naked and ready to be slapped on the grill!"

Beatrice continued yelling and waving her sword about angrily at the sky, cursing the mercenaries who had left long ago. Her outrage only served as a giant beacon for the five red knights to wander to, like moths to a flame. They all approached Beatrice, in tight formation, shoulder to shoulder. There wasn't much place to hide or to take advantage of-- she was just in a bale of hay, after all.

"This bites the biggun! Cmon, bring it, you cherry plates! I only service one at a time, so get your behind in line!" As expected, the knights ignored Beatrice's clearly reasonable and kindly worded request. Instead, they broke out in song and dance, singing about the glory days in the castle of Camelot. Oh they were the knights of the round table, or wait, maybe they didn't break out in dance after all. Beatrice climbed top a pile of stacked hay bales and cut the harness holding them up. Down rolled a dozen bales, rolling and tumbling toward the five knights of red. Being that they were in such heavy armor, they could not dodge the hay, so it smacked violently into the knights. However, being that they were in such heavy armor, being smacked by bales of hay was like getting a back massage.

"Crap, I thought for sure that would work!" Beatrice said aloud. She then waltzed around the barn, attempting to find something to fend off these slightly agitated armor guys. Beatrice picked up a pitchfork, and chucked it at one of the knights. The metal points dinked uselessly off the armor, and clattered to the ground. Beatrice loosened a ladder from its position, attempting to trap the knights within the rungs. It succeeded, to an extent. The rungs were wrapped around the knights' heads. But since they were already in formation, it didn't affect them in the slightest.

"Man, why don't barns stock ballistas or catapults or giant red barrels full of explosives? World ain't right, not at all!" A panicked Beatrice continued to run through the barn, out the windows, up the planks, through the stools, and tossed whatever she could at the knights in a futile attempt to stop them.

"And why'd it have to be five! Geez, I swear this world is against me!" Beatrice found herself cornered in a pen. The knights slowly approached her, like a giant trapped ceiling, waiting to fall on her, and squish her into paste. In desperation, she grabbed whatever it was that was on the ground next to her, and threw it at the knights. It was a bucket full of fly-infested animal waste. The noxious smelling poop splattered onto the knights' faces, who were unable to dodge. It covered up their helmets completely, leaving them unable to breathe without taking a nice mouthful of crap. Beatrice found her opportunity, charging it with with a horizontal strike, intent on striking all three at once. And just before contact, Beatrice's sword was set alit.

"What the gobb, my sword is on FIRE, FIRE, FIRE, OH GEEZ, PUT IT OUT!" Beatrice ran out of there, but the damage was already done. The knights' faces were set aflame with burning poop, and the fire had spread to the barn as well. The knights screamed in agonizing, smelly pain as the flaming waste burned itself into their faces and cooked them well-done all around.

"FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE" Beatrice screamed and ran around like crazy. "ARIAS HELP, MY SWORD IS ON FIIIIIRE!"

'Well, much as I'd love to stay and socialize, I think it's best that we get the heck out of this place! Preferably now before the rest of the fort burns down and definitely before enemy reinforcements show up. If you want to stay and look like a fool, that's all well and good with me, but I'd prefer not to see you dead after this. You know, I've normally got a 'save one life a day' policy, but you're not making it easy for me!' Arias chuckled a bit, as he started to get out of the fort as fast as he could.

'Dang, that was just too close,' Arias said after the two got out of there. 'I really should apologize for that bit of flame I stuck on your sword. I figured it was the only way that you could beat those soldiers all on your own. If this is me woefully underestimating your combat prowess, please do forgive me. But first, I think you need to go rinse your hands off or something.... I'm afraid that that stench is more than a little bit unladylike.'

Fire?

Bullet hated fire. He hated it ever since... ever since he'd been part of Septian's group. The bounty hunters had come in the night, setting the hideout aflame. One of them didn't make it out in time.

Bullet tightened his grip on a borrowed spear. Someone was going to pay for this.

"Hey! Is anyone still here?"

He shook his head as he dismounted, tying the horse's reins around a heavy stone. In the event of an emergency, the steed would be able to pull away, but so long as nothing bad happened, it should wait and calm down. Feeling merciful, he pulled the bridle out as well, allowing it to graze to soothe it's nerves. As soon as he had done that, he sat against the stone. "You can call me Lat, if my full name is too big a mouthful for you. I don't particularly expect anything from you, except perhaps some understanding that I'm just trying to ensure you don't get harmed. Perhaps you didn't need rescuing - but I'd rather have done what I have than think about what would have happened to poor Kieru had I left her with those men." As he spoke, he scanned the sky above the trees carefully, waiting to see a sign that would calm his troubled thoughts. Each second ticked by like a lifetime - had they escaped the barn? Or were his friends captured by the soldiers, taken to be tortured in horrible ways? He wished he hadn't thought that. He had to think optimistically - if he couldn't convince himself, perhaps he could convince her, though.

"My friends will ride the wyvern and meet us here," he said, his eyes not moving from the horizon. "We've done this before, after all - Ivan is probably just circling somewhere safe until Andra wakes up, so he can control her safely. They'll be here soon." He sighed. "And if they're not, then I'll do as you say, and go back to find them."

Seeing the deserted fort, Bullet scanned the surroundings to check for any clues to where they had gone. Footprints, clothes, whatever. He saw a trail of footprints and blood heading towards... nothing?

Then he noticed that, if he got closer, he could see a slight barn of sorts. He got closer.

"Hello? Anyone there? Anyone? What happened at the fort?"

Today had been a pretty interesting day in terms of luck. First, Ivan had gotten randomly blown up (unlucky) yet survived (lucky); next, he'd had the wyvern stolen and enemy soldiers on his ass (unlucky) only to have that same wyvern come barreling back in to save him (lucky). Maybe lady luck was on her period or something.

"Wow, how's that for irony. Never thought I'd be happy to see those dumbasses again," Ivan commented, as he watched the Tolmaen and his female companion fly onto the barn's roof, then watched with an even greater mixture of surprise and amusement as the woman proceeded to get down from the roof, apparently unharmed (or at least, unharmed enough to put up a fight), and engage the soldiers all by her lonesome. She and the Tolmaen made a great pair, they had so much in common; the ability to miraculously survive impossible situations, the inability to make good decisions. Hell, the woman was probably a foreigner of some kind, too.

In any case, Ivan figured he'd just be over here escaping and living while her death wish distracted those knights. She'd probably die, but he sure as hell wasn't going to do these two any favors after they tried to screw him back there in the courtyard. He quickly hoisted Andra up onto Rakka's back, yanked the wyvern's reins, pointed into the trees away from the barn, and then got the fuck out of there. His little human body was completely unable to keep up with the wyvern as it dashed away from the barn, but that was fine, it cleared a nice path through the brush for him. Eventually, the trees ahead gave way to open grasslands; first Rakka burst out of the forest, with Ivan following in its wake soon afterwards. The open terrain gave him a perfect view of Laterite, conveniently waiting on him for the second time today. Lucky again.

"Well, no thanks for ditching me, but thanks for waiting up afterwards, I guess," Ivan said as he jogged up to his companion. He took a moment to catch his breath before continuing. "Looks like we're the only ones who made it out, only ones in this direction, at least. Would've been nice if we had at least a few others to keep us company, you know, strength in numbers and all that, but it seems like everyone else back there was either not interested in working together or just plain stupid. In one case, both. So where to now? We should find some sort of cover, hole up for the night. We're much too exposed out on these plains."

Rakka kept going past Laterite at first, but turned and came back when it saw that Ivan had stopped. It appeared that he'd lost the soldiers back there, but he still looked around cautiously, watching out for an incoming meteor or something like that. He'd gotten lucky twice in a row now, so if the day's cycle of luck so far was anything to go by, he was now due for a round of very, very bad luck.

Edited by CATS

"Ok, how many here are dead and how many are alive?" said Shizunai, seeing Arias and the others near the barn. He headed over there and caught sight of Kieru and breathed a sigh of relief. The gods at least showed some mercy today.

"Ah, I'm glad to see the child is alive. But who are you all? We need to introduce ourselves and find another fort to head to. We need to warn one of the generals of Granford spies and what happened to the fort."

Edited by Yoshimitsu

"Nnngh..." Andra's eyes slowly fluttered open. Then he shut them again. "Ow." They hurt. In fact, just about everything hurt. He felt as though he'd been caught in an explosion, manhandled and carried around, and hoisted onto a madly running wy-oh. Well that was interesting. He seemed to be sitting on Rakka. He must not have put himself up there, since none of the straps were fastened, and he deeply hoped he hadn't been flying like that. He gingerly slid off of the wyvern and stretched and yawned, trying to work out the stiffness and pain in his muscles.

Then he realized he wasn't alone. Laterite and Ivan were both there, thankfully, but there was also a little girl. Oh, that girl we wanted to save? Must be her, who else could it be?

"...Well, hey guys. What's going on?" He glanced at the towering pillar of smoke and flame. "That's the fort, right? Looks like I missed some excitement."