My sprites (obviously)

Nova

To start with the truth: I only registered here to make this sprite-topic. xD

I don't get much comments in all the other forums, so I thought I should try to show them in the biggest Fire Emblem forum I know.

I make sprites since 3 years now. I mainly do Fire Emblem sprites, preferably facesprites, and sometimes Pokémon sprites.

c62v95bp.png

Sanaki, obviously. She looks a bit older than in the games, but who cares?

li82j6c3.png

aiwmuie8.png

nova993r.pngsu6xa46t.png

(I gave this one alternate clothes since I thought they'd suit him well. :3)

nubnp8hn.png

69lj5d59.png

se4e5npb.png

g9ejnyiz.png

ssemdm5s.png

(It's chronological, so the last one is the most recent)

Is that chain mail on the redhead's sleeve?

Yes. I hope that it's recognizable. But so far, no one's complained about it.

I have to say, I'm impressed. Your mugs are really good. I especially like the Sanaki mug.

3 years is quite a long time, so it's not that surprising you're pretty good.

I'm not a mug spriter, so I can't give you much critique, but I'll try my best.

I can't wait to see more!

Wow, thanks a lot.^^

I didn't expect such good reactions. After all, there's a lot to improve for me. xD

Speaking of improving: I changed the last sprite a bit. The chest is a little, I would say, rounder. His right arm is thicker now and I also improved the shading a bit.

ssemdm5s.png ->fnzd2pjh.png

My brother makes chainmail actually as a hobby, he sold a chainmail coif for $120 once.

Wow, that's kinda cool. :D

Edited by Nova

6357789f9bd7d159a15682e8d9b3765e.png

Neck is kinda really long. I'd shove the head down a pixel, at least. Body angle needs to be moved farther out.

Lots of pillowing on the vest, and the super abundant wrinkles on the sleeves aren't necessary.

Mixing FE7 and FE8 colors = big no-no. Either use one or the other.

Eyebrows are too stark and could be blended out more. The face is really pillowed and could be cleaned up a lot.

Not sure why the hair has 4 colors, either.

Zipper needs more blending and possibly more contrast between shades, as the detail doesn't show up very well at 100%.

Now that's some real critique. Thanks a lot.

I'm already working on it, but it may take a while.

There are just two things I don't quite agree to:

Not sure why the hair has 4 colors, either.

I don't see any problem with that. There are in fact a few original mugs in FE with four hair colors.

Mixing FE7 and FE8 colors = big no-no. Either use one or the other.

I never cared about seperating the colors. No one ever complained and I don't see, why that should be a problem. The colors of the sprite seem fine to me.

And I have a quick question. Since english isn't my first language, I don't quite understand what you want to say with this:

Body angle needs to be moved farther out.

Could you explain that please?

The reasons (I would think, correct me if I'm wrong, AK, or anyone else) for not mixing FE7 and FE8 colors is because the way the saturation levels work. FE8 has a far higher level of contrast in their palettes, and tends to use brighter colors while FE7/6 uses more muted colors and their shadow tones (skin excluded) tend to be more of a greyish shade rather than in FE8, a more direct darker shade of the color itself. If you know Photoshop, it's kinda like, FE7 shades are like Burn tool on highlight, and FE8 shades are like Burn tool on Midtones/Shadow. Not the most accurate comparison, but it's what I can think of right now.

As for the body, as of now it looks like his head is leaning too forward, and the width of the shoulder is uneven with the far shoulder being closer to the body than the near shoulder. AK's outline pretty much have it covered.

I don't see any problem with that. There are in fact a few original mugs in FE with four hair colors.

The problem is that on your mug, the color of the hair doesn't need 4 colors, and the 4 shades you've chosen make the hair look quite chunky. 3 would work fine, and be a lot easier to shade.

And using colors between FE games, like Lumi explained, looks pretty iffy, because of the saturation levels. I don't know where you were posting your work before that they didn't call you out on it, but, most people and most spriting sites will.

It's more or less as Lumi and Seph say.

As explained by Seph earlier, the fourth tone is pretty much unnecessary, especially considering that the darkest tone isn't used anywhere else except along the border of his bangs and skin. That creates a particularly stark border that doesn't blend well with the skin. It could easily be changed to skin tones, which would blend out the lines and give it a much cleaner look. I would suggest adding more contrast between the three existing shades, then purging the fourth (darkest) altogether.

Also, as you may notice, most, if not all (with the exception of Rutger, IIRC, who shares a skin and hair tone), of the existing mugs with four hair tones have very light hair colors. The fourth color is added in to give it depth, without making the contrast seem too harsh. It makes the lighter hair look softer; a glow, almost. Your mug's hair, which is more like Matthew's hair color, is perfectly fine with just three. If you really need more, using the darkest skin tone would be plenty enough.

I never cared about seperating the colors. No one ever complained and I don't see, why that should be a problem. The colors of the sprite seem fine to me.

And yet you also complained in your opening post that you never seemed to get enough feedback. Contradictory, much? I'm not here to shoot the crap with you. I just call it like I see it.

It's a matter of saturation levels. Although there's no real problem with the issue, it just makes it a little harder to match colors. As you may notice, your borders are exceptionally stark against the inside edges of your mug, making for a flatter, more cartoonish look. It's really more of an aesthetic, technical issue. It just doesn't look very nice. There's just too much contrast.

Body angle needs to be moved farther out.

Rotate the far side (his right) of his body outward (more toward his right). As it is, his body seems crunched up against his left side.

• 8 months later...

I'm back again. It's been a long time since I've sprited. Well, several months...

I know that I still have to fix the last sprite, but I'm way too demotivated for that. But I'll definitely do it some day.

In the meantime, I've made something new. Please comment.

pjnznrzk.png

• 2 weeks later...

Your critique isn't in vain. I finally worked it over.

pjnznrzk.png ->bksfssdj.png

Changes I made:

-More shading in the hair (the portion above the ear)

I don't know if that makes the sprite better or not. I like it.

-Redid the face. Eyes and eyebrows were moved and improved, nose got a little change, shape of the chin is different, ear was moved downwards.

-Made the head less high. While comparing it to other sprites, I realized that it was kinda big, so I reduced the height by two pixels (which is also why the shape of the chin changed). I also believe that it makes her look less thin, so I didn't change anything else about that.

-Did a little change to her left shoulder (her point of view).

@seph1212: I didn't change the ponytail since I like it as it is. If somebody else complains about that as well though, I'll think that over.

@Jubby: I couldn't really get what "OPV" means. From her point of view or from ours?

I also couldn't do much about the pillowy-aspect. I seem to lack an eye for that. >.>

@seph1212: I didn't change the ponytail since I like it as it is. If somebody else complains about that as well though, I'll think that over.

The shading on the ponytail is still chunky, as well as the line work for it, no matter how much you like it. Please try to fix it. Smooth out the lines and the shading. There are plenty of examples in GBA FE of how ponytails should look.

And OPV means Our Point of View.

Edited by seph1212

pjnznrzk.png ->bksfssdj.png

I'll contribute.

Um yeah as seph said, the shading is really goofy and weird. He's not really saying that you have to completely transform or alter it, just smoothing it out. So if you want to be more convinced, then here you go~

Edited by Freohr Datia

Okay, I realize it now. You're right.

I redid the shading of the ponytail. Although I don't quite know if that's quite what it should look like. At least it now looks less... obtrusive.

byog7m8t.png

A bit, yes.

The parts that are jutting out, especially the ones on the bottom, those are really jagged and unnatural looking. Have they point down more, and poke out less, unless she coated her ponytail in hair gel.

mycmackj.png

I hope that it's better now.

But I also got a question. Did your last post only refer to the ponytail or did it refer to the strands of hair left of her face as well?

I was just talking about the ponytail, but you might want to do that as well.

And don't make hair strands go straight down. It's tough to shade and it looks less natural than the hard curve you had before.

ssntoggh.png

Okay now. The hair strands that are sticking out from the ponytail aren't going straight down anymore but are jutting out less than two versions ago.

The strands next to her face have been changed as well, but not too much.

I've also improved her left sleeve (from her point of view).

Any more things to improve?

It certainly has become much better since the first version. Thanks a lot for your critique and your patience.

Since nobody seems to complain about the last sprite, I started something new. Although I'd still be happy about comments on the last one, since I'm not sure if it's okay now or not.

I've started something big this time. I wanted to do a bigger sprite for a while now.

It's just the outlines for now, because I'd like to know if I need to change the proportions before I go into detail.

My reference is this. I really love Claves' design, so I just wanted to sprite her. :D

zqzgkx5k.png