(Serenes Forest Mafia) General Discussion

Psych

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do i make my good ED1 reads last anyway bc the reason i like dying early is i tend to read people really well at first and then the longer the game goes/i'm alive, the worse my reads become

this is a serious question since i do wanna get better at mafia KINDA I GUESS and idk how do fix this problem. :X

i remember talking to kaoz about it before but it was a super while back

posting this here

you can PM me/skype me advice if you wanna

posting this here

you can PM me/skype me advice if you wanna

if I told you my secrets, I won't get to be the wizard anymore, lol

I actually have no secrets, I just make up very stupid cases (intentionally) and see how people reacts while going with the flow and use those reads later in the game to make associations

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but i played pendual yesterday and now i want to host another iidx themed game lmao

also I'm prims and can't commit to anything and don't know what I want to host, I don't even want to play mafia right now

but nobody commented on what they'd want me to host after cyor2!!

[spoiler=My opinion on watchers]

For the people who wanted to know why I think watcher is a "meh" role I was going to just point to one of life's posts but looking back I don't think his reasoning was particularly well thought through. He looked at watcher as more of an investigation role rather than a "protection" role, not fully seeing the benefits of perma watching a doc, for example, so I'm just going to give my own thoughts on the role. Before I put the word "protection" in quotation marks because watcher isn't really a protection role: it doesn't stop kills, it only discourages them. In essence, by sitting on a PR all game you give the town compensation if they die, and can sit happy that the PR can do their thing if they live. Nifty, right..?

Well, not particularly. Say you're a watcher and there's an obvtown public figure in the spotlight and you've been watching him. Lo and behond he dies. Finally, you get your chance to catch a killer. You speak up, giving the name of the one who visited them. They claim that they're harmless and just caught i the wrong place at the wrong time e.g. a blacksmith targetting a PR, and that it must've been a ninja kill. That's not entirely unreasonable right? Neither blacksmith nor ninja is an absurdly uncommon role and they're used best on such obvtown public figures. Here lies the problem for me when considering it as a protective role: watcher does not force the expenditure of resources for scum to kill their target. If it was a doctor, bodyguard or even *shudder* a jailer the mafia would need either the help of a roleblocker or a strongman to get their kill on the obvtown player. However with enough persuasion all watcher does is slightly inconvenience mafia and without expending/requiring them to use any of their role resources. Now, this is avoided if one just policy lynches all watcher guilties but then innocent people might get dragged underneath thanks to unforseen killing roles like interceptor, PGO, poisoner and ninja so as usual ideal play discourages such tunnel visioned approaches.

Of course, this is assuming you'll be sitting on a PR all game. In OC this is much easier thanks to town leaders. In NOC this is usually a much more difficult process and due to the more arbitrary nature of it all, there are still many ways for scum to avoid needing compensation should they hit your watch target. For me this is why I dislike the role: as with all roles that collect information it suffers from the worry that the info is deceiving you, but it's a lot easier to cultivate that worry than with a cop targetting a godfather or a tracker only seeing one result.

None of this is also addressing the fact that maybe the compensation isn't even worth it. Maybe that vanilla goon that you hit was just investigated by the cop anyway and all that happened was you outing yourself. Then, you can argue, you saved the cop from outing, but if watcher is one of town's main protection roles then they might be in a pickle. There's more situations but cba to write anymore considering the main sentiment.

This is not to say it's a bad role, it has it's uses and oftentimes is helpful for claiming compensation. But it can only really work as a secondary protection role or a third-string investigation role as town (scum!watcher has it's uses in PR hunting) imo. To say it is a strong role is far too generous imo but I guess that's opinions for you.

Hopefully people don't take this too seriously or whatever (probably in vain but w/e), people are bound to like/dislike some roles compared to others as it's all really subjective interpretation of their utility.

This implies watcher can only be used to find kills.

It can also confirm or disprove other claims, clear people if you catch a scum rolecop or roleblocker targeting them, make it impossible for scum to roleblock in the first place (ninja roleblockers usually DON'T exist), etc.

And usually people are gonna be able to figure out whether a watcher guilty really is a guilty or not by taking claim context and play into account, since role results don't exist in a vacuum.

ban watcher 2015

It can also confirm or disprove other claims, clear people if you catch a scum rolecop or roleblocker targeting them, make it impossible for scum to roleblock in the first place (ninja roleblockers usually DON'T exist), etc.

Oh the irony! :P:

Though wouldn't it make the most sense to hook the watcher and then go nuts?

(i don't actually think watcher is ridiculously OP, it should just be put into a set-up with caution, like any other power role that can actually do things. i just feel it's more lame than cop or tracker since they're going to target people based on in-thread play, while getting caught by a watcher has nothing to do with that)

This implies watcher can only be used to find kills.

It can also confirm or disprove other claims

No it can't? All it can do is prove that someone is a visiting role?

Also I said there were other situations that I couldn't be bothered to run through and you hit them all gg.

clear people if you catch a scum rolecop or roleblocker targeting them

How often does this happen? This is really coincidental and is only useful if said scum was caught before the person dies. Also third parties etc.

make it impossible for scum to roleblock in the first place

But like I said, scum could just kill the watcher target and bluff their way out if the target was that much of a threat.

And usually people are gonna be able to figure out whether a watcher guilty really is a guilty or not by taking claim context and play into account, since role results don't exist in a vacuum.

Not sure what you mean by claim context in this case, but essentially with ideal play on the accused's part they should be able to get away with it, thus negating the usefulness as a protection role.

>watch a probable townie

"hey i got roleblocked"
"well i have this watcher report of X visiting you, what do you have to say"

it also learns if people lied about their claimed actions etc

there's only so much "it was the ninjas gais really!!!" can do anyway

imagine scum/whatever using a delayed kill on someone. then watcher happens to watch the person the night they die and there's one visitor on them that night, like an unwary town PR or something. makes u think