Game of Mafia Champions

Thingyman

I thought it was interesting to see how much certain people disapproved of "lurking", when lurking is considered a legit and often ideal scum tactic if you can get away with it on SF.

Edited by Sangyul

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people with a history of spamposting such as you, Manix, Via

harsh

tbh I also think some people will be around at deadline and freeze up just because they're naturally slow posters or busy

Edited by Prims

I thought it was interesting to see how much certain people disapproved of "lurking", when lurking is considered a legit and often ideal scum tactic if you can get away with it on SF.

I guess it's disapproved of because it is a good scum tactic, we call people out on it here and call them scummy.

It's just that if the alternative is 400+ pages of walls then the game gets even less efficient than dealing with a bunch of lurkers.

If the town consists of Eclipse, Scorri and Prims and any of them are alive after Day 3, then you'll get called out for lurking

literally any other case and you've suddenly won as scum cause everyone else just lets scum lurk like shit

They can get away with lurking even more, I guess. I mean like noone's going to call them out on it because someone else will be like YOU TWAT THAT PERSON IS ALWAYS LIKE THAT.

There's a difference between "lurking" and "not posting often", though. If you make only few posts, but what posts you do make are meaningful and push the game forward, then you're not lurking. Likewise, a player who posts very often, but whose posts are mostly spam, is really just lurking.

If the town consists of Eclipse, Scorri and Prims and any of them are alive after Day 3, then you'll get called out for lurking

literally any other case and you've suddenly won as scum cause everyone else just lets scum lurk like shit

Wait, what? Not recently. I've been super bad activity wise as both town and scum lately, I no longer call people out for lurking since I'm usually not much better off.

I used to post quite frequently and respond to everything I could when I first started playing here. Nowadays my play style as either alignment leans more towards "lurker" because I don't feel the need to respond to everything, and I'd rather just make posts when I actually feel there's something important to say and stuff.

Lurking might not be the best play, but some of the people in the champions game after it ended were acting like lurking was a dishonorable tactic and stuff. I think it's perfectly legit if you can get away with it.

a cool thing was when I lurked intentionally as fffff while posting legitimate content, called out lurkers who weren't posting content because i thought they were part of the other scumteam, and got attacked for finding lurkers scummy

I'm baffled how people can defend the set-up - even ignoring the lack of town protection, scum vigilante is just not a fair role. As is, the game's balance hinges entirely on when town lynches the scumvig. Seriously, imagine a game where Despo was lynched Day 1 and compare it to this one. Sure, scum should be punished if they fail to protect their strong roles, but the amount of potential swing here is ridiculous due to the amount of required mislynches being affected. It can't really be compared to, say, losing your Godfather early on.

Speaking as a spectator, this game was, uh, interesting. Kudos to the guy who fake-subbed in for Mills because if it weren't for his posts I probably would not have bothered to keep up.

Are non-players allowed to contribute to the MVP vote?

Was this ever responded to (by the game designer) and I just missed it, or did he ignore it?

Also, are you sure this is Prims posting; there is too much capitalization+punctuation.

• 1 month later...