Yatogami

Ambulz

Hot diggity, that is one slick looking blade.

What do you think is the purpose of Kamui's personal sword? Do you think it has any significance to the story? What type of effectiveness do you think it has? Is it our substitute for the Rapier? Will we even have it from the start?

Let's discuss.

I think it'll probably be like the Falchion in Awakening, where we had it from the start, serving as an unlimited Iron Sword (possibly with dragon-slaying properties). The only way I see it substituting in for the Rapier is if we can use our Dragonstone right from the get-go in order to balance it out a bit.

I think it's something similar to Marx's darkness-emanating sword, it was probably given to him because he's Nohr royalty. Now, as to any powers it has, I have not a clue. The screenshot we saw of it didn't list any effective bonuses. (Note that the bow we saw listed the effective bonus, and it was the same screen.)

I actually wonder if there will be a lord-specific dragonstone, too, that would be pretty awesome.

I'm assuming it will be like the Falchion but maybe with more crit/hit and less power than an iron sword.

Hell, maybe it'll even be an infinite rapier, it looks very much like one.

Bit of an unusual name for a sword, Yatogami. Anyone know what it means?

It might have relevance to the plot considering it's named, but until if comes out we've got no clue.

Green generally means capped. I wonder why his res is red then...?

Well considering that you could choose which of Rufure's assets were buffed or nerfed in Awakening, I'm thinking Kamui's red res has something to do with that. Perhaps the person behind that particular screencap chose to nerf res.

Bit of an unusual name for a sword, Yatogami. Anyone know what it means?

It's 夜刀神, which is "night-katana-god." An odd name for sure. "Night" no doubt refers to Hoshido and Nohr being the "white night" and "dark night," but "katana-god" is beyond me.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say that the sword itself contains a god, which could be the Mouth of Truth from the first trailer, or (really going out on a limb here) maybe even Mila from Gaiden.

Edit: I suppose it could be "god of the night-sword" or "sword-god of the night."

Edited by Aethin

It's 夜刀神, which is "night-katana-god." An odd name for sure. "Night" no doubt refers to Hoshido and Nohr being the "white night" and "dark night," but "katana-god" is beyond me.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say that the sword itself contains a god, which could be the Mouth of Truth from the first trailer, or (really going out on a limb here) maybe even Mila from Gaiden.

Huh, that really is an odd name for a sword. I'm willing to bet it does contain a god, or at least a spirit.

Before we saw the screen shot of Kamui and the dragonstone, I had thought that the Yatogami was responsible for sealing his/her powers.

That is also a very good theory. If Garon gave Kamui the sword, maybe he's trying to seal away Kamui's spirit powers.

Kamui is a manakete. Who even will use the sword?

In Awakening at the very least, Manaketes could use weapons if they were re-classed, so it's not impossible. Granted I do see your point, why use a sword when you can just transform?

Edited by TKHikaru13

^ effective weapons, Brave sword, crit rates, Brave sword, if the no durability is part of casual mode, Brave sword, Avoiding aegis if it returns, Brave sword, forging if it returns and dragon stones cant be forged. And Brave sword. Oh Did i mention the ability to use Brave swords.

I didn't really like the design of Manaketes and Taguels in awakening so I'll probably end up doing so more often, unless being a manakete gives me an over-the-top advantage.

^^ You don't think it was too subtle?

In all seriousness yatogami looks awesome. But what so you think the localized name will be? Hopefully better than falchion anyway. Any one think it would be funny if they introduced a falchion as a bonus weapon and its just an IRL falchion and of like C rank power.

Edited by goodperson707

Oh that's something I didn't even think of.

Part of me hopes they just leave it as Yatogami, but I feel like if they did translate the name 'night' would be an important component to it.

I hope that they keep it Yatogami as well. I'm not really sure how they could translate it into something that wouldn't be awkward to say, or lose the original meaning. Sword of Holy Night?

A snazzy weapon like Yatogami should get the Falchion treatment. Who would want such a cool looking weapon to break?

^^ You don't think it was too subtle?

In all seriousness yatogami looks awesome. But what so you think the localized name will be? Hopefully better than falchion anyway. Any one think it would be funny if they introduced a falchion as a bonus weapon and its just an IRL falchion and of like C rank power.

I think that Falchion might be an amiibo unlockable weapon

My thoughts exactly!

Kamui will use the sword because Kamui is a Dark Prince who uses swords, and who also happens to be a manakete. The sword is Kamui's for a reason. Let's find out what that is in a couple months time, not now when we 0 info.

edit: let's not forget that the iron bow we saw a thief using had unlimited uses as well, so it's possible that the Yatogami isn't even unlimited uses outside of casual mode let's say. Though very unlikely that it isn't important enough to warrant it having unlimited uses. I see some of you have already caught on to that though.

Edited by TwinBlade

I think that Kamui probably won't get the ability to turn into a dragon until after some event happens (Kamui's pose while transforming reminds me of Gohan's SSJ2 transformation during the Cell Games, so I'm guessing some traumatic experience "awakens" Kamui's dragon blood) so s/he has to use swords at first.

I think that Kamui probably won't get the ability to turn into a dragon until after some event happens (Kamui's pose while transforming reminds me of Gohan's SSJ2 transformation during the Cell Games, so I'm guessing some traumatic experience "awakens" Kamui's dragon blood) so s/he has to use swords at first.

Maybe the Dancer character releases the seal on the transformation. That could explain the screencap where they're talking. And could explain why they attempt to strangle her. First time Kamui transforms they lose control and try to kill Dancer.

I find that kind of strange to give Kamui a sacred/legendary/piss-colored sword, when he's manakete, yeah he probably won't get the dragonstones right away, but it's still stupid.

Seriously, the mere fact that he is a manakete make a lot of things obsolete, possible-customization included.

Maybe Yatogami is somekind of dragonstone or something ?

Maybe the Dancer character releases the seal on the transformation. That could explain the screencap where they're talking. And could explain why they attempt to strangle her. First time Kamui transforms they lose control and try to kill Dancer.

Well there is a lake in the image i think this theory is quite plausible.