Fixing a 3DS's R Button?

Karasz

So yeah, the R button on my 3DS is broken. And as luck would have it, I broke it because I enjoyed drifting a little too much on Mario Kart 7, because constantly holding down the R button to snake around the courses is the easiest way to breeze through courses and pass time trials. So yeah, now it no longer works, period. Is there even a fix for this, or am I going to have to scrap my current 3DS and get a new one?

So yeah, the R button on my 3DS is broken. And as luck would have it, I broke it because I enjoyed drifting a little too much on Mario Kart 7, because constantly holding down the R button to snake around the courses is the easiest way to breeze through courses and pass time trials. So yeah, now it no longer works, period. Is there even a fix for this, or am I going to have to scrap my current 3DS and get a new one?

see, this is why snaking is bad

....wait can you even snake effectively in MK7? I thought it was situational

This is my constant fear whenever I get a new Nintendo handheld. Happened to my GBA and DS. Blowing into it from the side works for a temporary fix. You'd think they would have come up with a way to prevent it by now though...

Edited by Owain Dark

my L button messes up sometimes. maybe try blowing under the button itself from the side, because when i do that it temporarily works again.

And then the humidity is going to jam the shoulder buttons forever.

That's what happened to my DSi.

OP's problem doesn't sound related to dust jamming the button, though.

This happened to my DS Lite as well as my cousin's (L Button for my cousin's and the R Button then the L Button later on for mine). It works sometimes and it doesn't at other times, and there wasn't really any notable pattern.

It'd be quite a shame to scrap your 3DS just because the R button doesn't work and everything else is functional. Have you tried going to any game stores and seeing if they offer repairs? If most games you play on your 3DS require the R button and you're still under warranty, you could also send it to Nintendo for repairs.

If the warranty has expired and you're really insistant on getting it fixed, you could also open it up yourself (though getting a tri-wing screwdriver may be tricky, but some game stores will actually sell them despite not being on display) and fix the R button area yourself.

my L button messes up sometimes. maybe try blowing under the button itself from the side, because when i do that it temporarily works again.

It worked! Thanks for the tip!

. . . Are you sure you aren't just "breaking in" the R button? For all of my nintendo handhelds, which I will note in the spoilers, I've had the R button slowly become lathargic and stuck, even not responding. After anywhere from a few days up to a whole year later, it suddenly stops being "broken" and actually works factory new. Problem only ever happened once for me.

My Handhelds which this has happened with.

Game Boy Advance. Both of them

Game Boy Advance SP
DS
DSi
3DS

The only handheld I had which this didn't happen with was the gameboy color. It's shoulder button never let me down. Then again, GB's and GBC's cover war zones. :P:

. . . Are you sure you aren't just "breaking in" the R button? For all of my nintendo handhelds, which I will note in the spoilers, I've had the R button slowly become lathargic and stuck, even not responding. After anywhere from a few days up to a whole year later, it suddenly stops being "broken" and actually works factory new. Problem only ever happened once for me.

My Handhelds which this has happened with.

Game Boy Advance. Both of them

Game Boy Advance SP

DS

DSi

3DS

The only handheld I had which this didn't happen with was the gameboy color. It's shoulder button never let me down. Then again, GB's and GBC's cover war zones. :P:

I can hardly imagine why you never had a problem with the shoulder button on a GameBoy or GameBoy Colour. ;)

I can hardly imagine why you never had a problem with the shoulder button on a GameBoy or GameBoy Colour. ;)

I was hoping to catch SOMEONE with it, but it appears I got caught instead.

spoilsport.

Back to the topic at hand, yeah, the blowing is a good temporary fix. Seems like you have to do it regularly from what I remember, though.