Notice some people make opinions about things they don't know about?

DreadFighter

I've seen this everywhere. Some people join a conversation they know nothing about and confuse everyone. What do you think about this? Are you one of these people who need to at least do some type of research or do you just hop in and roll with whatever it brings? I'm actually curious what people would rather usually do.

How do we "know", anyway? I don't want to confuse people with more questions- But, we can't exactly know if we even know of a subject thoroughly...even if we do make a little research, what's to say that the very imformation we're looking through is even "reliable".

Sorry.

depends on how intellectual and serious the conversation is. if the conversation is leaning towards serious, why anyone would partake in it without being at least somewhat informed is beyond me.

otherwise, i don't care.

I don't trust this WaluigiWeegee person. After all, there's no way Lilina can ever be that good.

Oh shit you posted this in General it might actually be serious uh, uh...

People are gonna say what they believe. If they're being stupid, they'll learn eventually. Someone will smack into them.

I don't trust this WaluigiWeegee person. After all, there's no way Lilina can ever be that good.Oh shit you posted this in General it might actually be serious uh, uh...People are gonna say what they believe. If they're being stupid, they'll learn eventually. Someone will smack into them.

Yes that's a 100% legit Lilina. But yes that's a good interpretation

Who does research before entering a conversation, nerds that's who.

Better to be a nerd than stupid I suppose

How do we "know", anyway? I don't want to confuse people with more questions- But, we can't exactly know if we even know of a subject thoroughly...even if we do make a little research, what's to say that the very imformation we're looking through is even "reliable".

Sorry.

Don't go on Wikipedia

depends on how intellectual and serious the conversation is. if the conversation is leaning towards serious, why anyone would partake in it without being at least somewhat informed is beyond me.

otherwise, i don't care.

Yes it may vary based on the material presented.

Better to be a nerd than stupid I suppose Don't go on Wikipedia

I go to Wikipedia. Otherwise, I'm not really creative.

Also, nerds can be stupid as well. ):

Carpe yolo

uh

Carpe?

Sorry.

the scientific process would like to have a word with you.

uh

Carpe?

it's le french. carpe diem is the classy way to say yolo.

the scientific process would like to have a word with you.

Then PLEASE do.

it's le french. carpe diem is the classy way to say yolo.

I wouldn't know about that. ): Edited by Soul

I wouldn't know about that. ):

Ya well what's a spanish idiom with the same kind of spirit as yolo? Also, carpe diem means seize the day.

When I end up around a serious discussion I often do some research, and then fail to offer an opinion anyway.

Yes that's a 100% legit Lilina. But yes that's a good interpretation

Better to be a nerd than stupid I suppose Don't go on Wikipedia

Yes it may vary based on the material presented.

Wikipedia's actually a reliable source of information. Independent studies have shown that it's as accurate as many of its peer encyclopedias. While it has errors, some maliciously presented and others unintentionally, it's well policed and generally an incredible font of knowledge that everyone should be glad is at their fingertips.

I had a sociology professor once that was so up her own ass about the use of scholarly sources I wanted to puke. But then, sociology professor, so.

Wikipedia's actually a reliable source of information. Independent studies have shown that it's as accurate as many of its peer encyclopedias. While it has errors, some maliciously presented and others unintentionally, it's well policed and generally an incredible font of knowledge that everyone should be glad is at their fingertips.

I had a sociology professor once that was so up her own ass about the use of scholarly sources I wanted to puke. But then, sociology professor, so.

Shakespeare is not the son of Hitler.

Well, I'd say it's pretty OK for what it's for. Just don't use it for an essay. When I did something on George Washington I found out how unspecific and general Wikipedia can be, so take caution even if it's accurate. With that in mind I didn't dare touch Wikipedia when I did my Mongols powerpoint.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

Then PLEASE do.

I wouldn't know about that. ):

me either, apparently.

are you not aware of what the scientific process is?

Ya well what's a spanish idiom with the same kind of spirit as yolo? Also, carpe diem means seize the day.

When I end up around a serious discussion I often do some research, and then fail to offer an opinion anyway.

lol whoops it's actually latin, yeah. just goes to show how much i know about french, latin, or spanish...

me either, apparently.

are you not aware of what the scientific process is?

lol whoops it's actually latin, yeah. just goes to show how much i know about french, latin, or spanish...

Well, at least English is related to them. One time I was at work and talking to a new worker that couldn't understand English very well, and I was trying to say "Mi nombre es Kyle," but instead switched to muh anime speak halfway and said "Mi namae wa."

Shakespeare is not the son of Hitler.

Ohh, so that's why I failed my history final.

On topic, I might make up bull on sports that I know nothing about. Like, "yeah, I think Germany's got a great team" when I don't know any players on any team ever in FIFA. I'm just pulling together snips of what I hear around me and making up an opinion that'll run with the status quo. White lies.

Or I might pretend I know something if someone I don't know well gives me a leading prompt, like if someone wants to give me directions and says, "OK, so you know where the downtown library is, right?" And I'll reply automatically (and incorrectly) with "yeah", out of a childhood habit of never wanting to appear ignorant. It takes like 3 seconds for my brain to kick in and then I have to cut them off mid-speech to say, "wait, I actually don't know, sorry." Though I guess that's more pretending to know a fact when I don't, as opposed to having an opinion about something I don't know about. The idea behind it's the same.

Opinions are opinions. You don't need to be knowledgeable to have one.

But seriously, if it bothers you so much, then inform them when they say something they might not completely grasp. Just remember, the more knowledge on a topic you gain, the more you realize how much you really have yet to learn. Likewise, if people learn the basics, they think they got it all figured out, because it seems like the whole picture.

Edited by Professor Vasuda

If someone wants to put down their opinion they can go ahead, it's pretty obvious that they don't know what they're talking about so you can just ignore it or correct them if they got something wrong, you live and you learn cuz