Favorite GBA Fire Emblem game

OrangeCrush980

217 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite GBA FE?

• FE6 / Sword of Seals / Fuuin no Tsuruji
    • FE7 / Blazing Sword / (no subtitle)
    • FE8 / Sacred Stones

More or less guilty as charged. I've seen others in action but not played them. But still, "not all your opponents are necessarily even vaguely humanoid, even discounting the final boss" is unique to FE8, isn't it?

Not in the slightest. FE2, FE13, and TRS all have plenty of monsters, FE10 has (non-humanoid) Spirit enemies at the end of the game, and Berwick Saga has a few dragon enemies that are never given any indication of having a human form.

Of course, this is assuming all Manakete and Laguz are counted as humanoid, even the enemies that never leave their transformed states, which might be debatable. Counting the permanently transformed dragons and Feral Ones as non-humanoid (the Feral Ones in particular make as much sense as a human that gets cursed into a monster form, which sounds reasonable to count as non-human), FE1, FE3, FE9, FE11, and FE12 get added to the list for a majority of the series - every game except FE4-7.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For having memorable characters,and having RavenXLuciusXPrisscilla for a Yaoi and incest threesome- FE7.

For having a shit-load of characters,large maps, and being challenging to a novice, FE6.

For replayability and broken jeigans, FE8.

I meant longer in the expected/typical turn count sense. I'm totally not counting CC either. Having 300 missions you can do in FFTA doesn't make it "omg longest game evar". Hell, AW has a map edit mode; does that make it infinitely long?

No, because a map editing mode is not "content". The player is expected to provide the content. Whereas a premade CC map is content. Why isn't it? Just because it's optional? Should Lyn Mode and Gaidens be disregarded? How about the chapters at the end of FE6?

I don't want to even try and guess what "typical" turncount in any Fire Emblem is.

You can totally "play the game differently" with different generics.

I don't know if that's really the same thing, though. I never felt like I could have replayed say, Valkyria Chronicles, since the characters didn't feel like they had enough variety. But I definitely feel that way about Fire Emblem.

More or less guilty as charged. I've seen others in action but not played them. But still, "not all your opponents are necessarily even vaguely humanoid, even discounting the final boss" is unique to FE8, isn't it?

I meant longer in the expected/typical turn count sense. I'm totally not counting CC either. Having 300 missions you can do in FFTA doesn't make it "omg longest game evar". Hell, AW has a map edit mode; does that make it infinitely long?

I'll only tackle these two.

1: If we're going beyond the GBA, FE2, fullstop, thanks.

2: Except FFTA's 300 missions are on ten different maps. The (18?) total Creature Campaign maps are all unique. Or do you use a different measure for "content"?

EDIT: Put it this way: are FE6/9's Trial Maps "content"?

Edited by Integrity

The (18?) total Creature Campaign maps are all unique.

18 between the Tower and the Ruins, but there's also Melkaen Coast, which is skirmish-only. Altogether, FE8 has 49 unique combat maps.

For comparison, FE6 has 44, FE7 has 48, and FE9 has 39, all using similarly broad definitions. To look at games less directly relevant, FE5 has 35, FE10 has 43, FE11 has 34, and FE12 has 38, ignoring multiplayer and the BS maps.

Edited by Othin

... The point is that "more content" != "longer game". :| Some of us don't play the extra content in a game just because it's there, and think of the length of a game as the length of, well, the actual story mode

"Typical" is maybe poor wording because of definition issues, but if I can get through the story mode of FE6 in X turns with Y level of skill, then I can get through the story mode of FE8 in way fewer than X turns with Y level of skill. I don't even see how there's an argument here.

Edited by zahlman

I had the most fun with FE6. It was self-contained, pretty well in length, and full of goodies which rewarded replaying multiple times. And it had Yodel.

Fe7 was boring. FE8 benefited greatly from being worked on by a separate team while FE9 was put into the works--too bad it was a bit rushed.

I had the most fun with FE6. It was self-contained, pretty well in length, and full of goodies which rewarded replaying multiple times. And it had Yodel.

What in particular do you like about Yodel that sells the game to you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FE7, easily. (How is FE8 even a contender?) XD Seriously, I liked FE8 well enough, but it didn't have the same magic for me that FE7 had in terms of characterization and overall quality. Also, I didn't like fighting monsters, and I was annoyed by how easy it was. O the flip-side, I like FE6 as well, but I personally think it's too difficult. I couldn't make it to the finish line. ;__;

Edited by Popo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Serenes community tends to overthink- and, as a result, overestimate- Fire Emblem 8. At the end of the day, it's just a horribly broken and imbalanced mess with an awful story and a complete lack of any character development. Every unit is a superhero, and the lack of a ranking feature basically means that the only way to enjoy the game is to go for breakneck efficiency runs. Just no redeemable features whatsoever.

6 and 7 are both great choices, however. I'm partial to 7, but 6 has difficulty and unit variety in its favor.

• 2 months later...

I'm certainly finding it hard to vote. FE6 is what I haven't played, it wasn't released outside of Japan, has a somewhat boring story (with some good support conversations), I hear it doesn't add as much to the series as say, FE2 or FE5 (which I haven't played).

FE7; we get to see Zephiel [spoiler=for those who haven't played FE6, look away]before he went mad

, we get a fleshed out tutorial for beginners (if obvious at times), support endings for more than just the pimp, Roy, we get a look at Hector in his awesomeness as a youth as well as the more competent unit than his son Eliwood. Not to mention two branching stories, though only branching to a minor extent but one does give more depth to the antagonist than the other (Lyn's story doesn't count really as much of a story in my opinion). Who could forget Sain? Legault was a very cool character, giving more story and emotion to the story of the Black Fang. We get a another tragic villain (my favourite kind next to being evil for the sake of being the biggest douche on earth), Nergal along with his kick ass battle theme. We also find out Roy is Dragonborn (possibly) and that Gonzales is going to die horribly in battle due to the Armads (possibly).

FE8; Creature Campaign was a fun (if very easy) distraction that had great rewards (namely EXP), we get Seth the ultimate Oifey and a nice romance of Eirika and Seth (as well as a Shakespearian (if Shakespeare was a dumb ass) love between Eirika and Lyon), we get one of the most broken FE Lords in history behind Sigurd and his son Celice; Ephraim. Sweet branching promotions. We also get (Yer A Riyt) Dozla (who is unfortunately one of the least usable units in the game) and L'Arachel.

Well actually now that I take all this into account, I think FE7.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that FE8 has branching paths which each have a more designated story giving separate details and perspectives, but that still doesn't make up for how I find the story to be lack luster.

Edited by TheBritishEltshan

I like fe8 the best . The branch promotion was cool and I loved the playable cast .p 6 is okay, but I really hate fe7 it basically has everything I don't like about fire emblem games and nothing I actually like. I disliked the characters especially , and the weapon weight really irked me as well .Everything was so freakin heavy .

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

FE8 is fun for those looking for a game to absolutely dominate the enemy forces. Almost every character can solo every map (Pirate Ship being the exception), and the story isn't the best I've seen. While I believe it's the game with the best maps overall, I also think it's the one which gets more uninteresting towards the end story and gameplay-wise; I'm not fond of gamebreaking abilities such as Slayer, or awesome-characters-on-Ch-1-that-never-stop-being-awesome such as Seth. Also, post-game could've been far more interesting than "Hey, go through these 20 maps three times to get overpowered characters!"

FE6 isn't necessarily hard, but rather annoying. The story is a bit more interesting than FE8's, I guess. Maps are unecessarily large, and you do have to think your way through if you want to progress. It's a game for those who value tactics, rather than overpowering your opponent. Characters are alright and have some decent development to them.

FE7 had a nice story, memorable characters with good background development. Maps aren't as good as FE8's, but aren't as annoying as FE6's. It had decent variety of missions too. I still find it easy overall (too many good characters), but it is, out of the three, my favourite.

Edited by Blues003

Well, I wanted to write down a few of the things that bugged me about FE7 but the whole thing ended up being way too long.

Let's just say, it's my least favorite game in the series by a long shot.

FE8 was okay. Nice story, Nice characters, good fun. Nothing spectacular, though.

Fighting monsters got tiresome, however. They aren't very interesting foes.

Creature Campaign could have been a lot better, though.

I mean, it's an endless game but there is lot's of stuff you can't replace so you end up not using it at all. Why not just make Repair staffs buyable?

And you usually loose more money by fighting random encounters then the loot is worth.

Normally grinding can be quite relaxing for a while in most games. But because you have to constantly pay attention that you don't get broke it's really just annoying.

And whose idea was it, that the player shouldn't be allowed to save in the ruins? It's like a less extreme form of Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded Avatar mode.

You know: "All 100 floors in one go without saving or dying to get a Limit break you will never use."

Took me a week or so, if I remember. Maybe that same guy in question is working for SquareEnix these days.

Oh well, at least in FE8 you can quicksave.

FE6 is the best of the bunch. The maps are diverse. The game is challenging and the story works for the most part.

But one problem with the story is that we find out that sword of Seals is not a divine weapon... and that's it. It doesn't lead anywhere. So what is the Sword of Seals?

And way more importantly I just can't get over the worship the Divine Generals get.

They committed genocide, for gods sake!

But the game treats the dragons are the bad guys because at the verge of extinction through a war the humans started, they brainwashed a divine dragon.

And the Divine Generals are good because they decided to spare that one single dragon.

They wiped out a whole sentient species but because they spared a single one, they are the good guys?

Are they nuts?

And this got even worse in FE7.

Athos never had to answer to this whole mess. If a supposed sympathetic character committed genocide I would like to know his story.

Is this really too much to ask?

So FE8 wins because I can actually play it without it pissing me off. Those games weren't the glory days of the series.

Edited by BrightBow

Sword of Seals is my favorite by a considerable amount for having respectable enemies and a huge cast of characters. You didn't get one or two knights, you got four. Three dark mages instead of one. Three berserkers, two valkyries, SEVEN Paladins. Sure, a lot of them were terrible but at least they existed.

My other favorite games in the series are so for similar reasons. Radiant Dawn and Dark Dragon had a zillion characters. Thracia had challenging level design (despite the average enemy having zero stats). The DS games had variable difficulties that gave series veterans a reason to play. The worst thing with Path of Radiance or Sacred Stones is that you steamrolled everything in between story bits. The worst thing about Mystery of the Emblem is it cut out a lot of playable characters from FE1 and resurrected a bunch of pretty boy villains until it felt like an anime. I'm really not there for the story. I want a challenge to overcome, and I want to do it the best way I can.

Might just be my bias but I honestly say Fire Emblem 7.

I never really liked FE8 [looking at you Eirika] and I got really annoyed at the easier difficulty due to the Tower of Valni. ... Plus, some of those monsters creeped me out back then. Of course, the story line was stable and who can't resist Ephraim?

FE6 was also good, but the holes in story kind of made it... iffy. Plus, this might just be me being petty, but I never really liked Roy's fragility, Lilina not being a lord and how the thieves couldn't promote.

And FE7 was a nice thing to have a tutorial prologue. The characters in the game were unique and all had connections. Let me tell you how many times I pulled a Kent whenever Sain flirted. Let me tell you the shrieks I conveyed at Uther and at Eliwood.

The music was definitely a plus. Contributed very well, and I always hate having to turn the volume off. I remember at one point I turned on my DS just to listen to FE7's Sound Test.

The maps also weren't ridiculous or too easy. It was a challenge that I fully accepted. Trying to attempt HHM on some of them though... -shudders-

All in all, I feel FE8's difficulty wasn't up to my standards of HNM. Plus, Ephraim's mode left a hole in the story when

Joshua suddenly became King out of the blue.

At least in Eirika's mode, you find out why and even help him.

FE7 has more character development and the story was pretty great in my opinion. It has a stellar soundtrack and a nice diversity of characters. Plus, it holds the one axe-using lord before promotion!