FE8 : Master Version

BrightVega

My apologies, haven't had time to play through it. What I'll do is restart with the new patch from scratch, and give you my thoughts then.

EDIT: Currently on Chapter 10 Eph. Am I a bad person for finding a way to get Amelia out of trainee as soon as Chapter 9 ended?

Edited by eclipse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for this patch/hack, I havent played FE8 in a while now but i remember how easy it was to beat at the time so I really do like what you did with the scalings and such ^^ also i liked that snipers have a 15% crit chance, i always figured they should have had it anyway.

On a side note I also liked that you added a separate female assassin animation :D i remember not using marisa as an assassin because of that XD

I'm probably asking too much but would it be possible to add a hat to joshua's swordmaster and myrmidon sprite? :) this was always what nagged at me when i'd play as him.

Anyway thanks for making Sacred Stones' re-playability refreshing again

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm currently playing through this hack and have a few thoughts about various aspects of the game.

first off I'd like to say that this hack took a very fun game in FE8 and made it even more fun and challenging by making the chapters harder as opposed to just trying to strip the game of it's "abusable" aspects/functions, while attempting to promote them to an extent. though I love the changes to the early game shop inventories and unit placement, some changes I have to say weren't well thought out or simply overlooked or miscalculated...

I'll wait to complete the game before coming out with a full review but there are somethings (mostly small) i'll point out now, cuz it's fresh on my mind.

One thing I'm confused about is the balancing of some weapons more notably the killing edge and shamshir. so you've increase the weight, price and crit% of the weapon while decreasing the Might. meanwhile the killing edge wasn't touched leaving the shamshir to be a weaker but more expensive killing edge with 10% more crit... From a balancing standpoint there is no incentive to buy a shamshir over a killingedge as the latter is more efficient w/ 25 durability (to the shamshir's 20) and higher might.

I suggest reducing the weight by at least one (I say 1) meanwhile increasing the hit% to 80 to make the weapon at least considerable... I've played the game with the shamshir @ 6wt and 80%hit and all in all it functions better w/ marisa and eirika and being that this weapon can only be used by select classes it's silly for it to be outclassed by the killing edge rather than poke out as a niche weapon for skilled classes.

I also do not really like some of the changes to the max stats of some classes, including the male/female differences that were removed. females tend to have excellent growth rates in speed and low constitution. Vanilla FE8 kept the accessible units in mind while creating max stats for variable classes being that we can choose between promotions and can get more that 1 variation of every possible obtainable classes. This gave use the illusion of control or differentiation (or whatever) however with these balances I feel less inclined to experiment as there will always be an optimal set of classes to promote to. With that being said Some class changes are just poorly executed as a result. a Prime example is the assassin class.... neither colm or Marisa will max out strength w/ out suppliments but they both will cap speed 9/10x's but the assassins class gained def/atk boosts and reduced speed caps???

Though these changes aren't crippling it is a bit weird and unnatural, however I do like the enhancements to the paladin classes overall and Marisa is unouchable regardless.

This brings me to another concern, which are stat boosters... Now to be honest I haven't used any up until chapter 15 eirika mode (on cormag -_-)... so my inventory is FULL of em and I'm wondering now if I'm going to be getting a lot more of these? And will I be playing a game in which all of my starting units will have maxed stats within their respective classes?

Also, about chapter 15 Eirika... all I will say is this..... That shit was hard, Like ragefest hard. Honestly that shit felt like a good ragefest submission however very luck based. Overall all of the chapters in eirika mode could use polishing and more thought IMO... I could be wrong but it seems chapter 15 was "hard by accident" because the very next chapter while annoying as fuck, can be trivialized just like chapters 12 and 14... Chapter 15 was hard for a lot of reasons mostly because of the fucking mages on the forts in the beginning. To beat the chapter its vital that I kill the bolting mage somehow which leaves atleast 1 of your units supseptible to the Wyvernknight swarm. in which one of them has to miss... not only that but the heros have to be disposed of early as well which will stretch the players units out. Meanwhile your southern units have to be strong enough to deal with the traveling paladins or else ephraim and his squad(except dussel) are DOA, which makes diverting the enemy units on the east more difficult...

Eirika and Eiphram quickly become baggage towards the middle of the game... they cannot promote so they're stuck with low movement, HP and <20 def and resistance... so I'm thinking this is a case in which we have a difficulty spike due to the fact that grinding becomes available and to be truthful that isn't good game designing. for a multitude of reasons.

Now to be fair! I Love chapter 13 Eirika... which is probably is the second hardest chapter behind.. chapter 15a... but that's due to a consequence of a change you made to chapter 9 where a Pirate was supposed to drop an ocean seal. Because of that I couldn't promote Colm whose speed was capped at 20 as a thief.. Now I don't if this was intentional but in order to steal from pablo the player would have to steal from isai to promote colm... That provided some really good depth which was the difficulty I hoped for in playing this hack.

So I'm currently playing through this hack and have a few thoughts about various aspects of the game.

first off I'd like to say that this hack took a very fun game in FE8 and made it even more fun and challenging by making the chapters harder as opposed to just trying to strip the game of it's "abusable" aspects/functions, while attempting to promote them to an extent. though I love the changes to the early game shop inventories and unit placement, some changes I have to say weren't well thought out or simply overlooked or miscalculated...

I'll wait to complete the game before coming out with a full review but there are somethings (mostly small) i'll point out now, cuz it's fresh on my mind.

One thing I'm confused about is the balancing of some weapons more notably the killing edge and shamshir. so you've increase the weight, price and crit% of the weapon while decreasing the Might. meanwhile the killing edge wasn't touched leaving the shamshir to be a weaker but more expensive killing edge with 10% more crit... From a balancing standpoint there is no incentive to buy a shamshir over a killingedge as the latter is more efficient w/ 25 durability (to the shamshir's 20) and higher might.

I suggest reducing the weight by at least one (I say 1) meanwhile increasing the hit% to 80 to make the weapon at least considerable... I've played the game with the shamshir @ 6wt and 80%hit and all in all it functions better w/ marisa and eirika and being that this weapon can only be used by select classes it's silly for it to be outclassed by the killing edge rather than poke out as a niche weapon for skilled classes.

I also do not really like some of the changes to the max stats of some classes, including the male/female differences that were removed. females tend to have excellent growth rates in speed and low constitution. Vanilla FE8 kept the accessible units in mind while creating max stats for variable classes being that we can choose between promotions and can get more that 1 variation of every possible obtainable classes. This gave use the illusion of control or differentiation (or whatever) however with these balances I feel less inclined to experiment as there will always be an optimal set of classes to promote to. With that being said Some class changes are just poorly executed as a result. a Prime example is the assassin class.... neither colm or Marisa will max out strength w/ out suppliments but they both will cap speed 9/10x's but the assassins class gained def/atk boosts and reduced speed caps???

Though these changes aren't crippling it is a bit weird and unnatural, however I do like the enhancements to the paladin classes overall and Marisa is unouchable regardless.

This brings me to another concern, which are stat boosters... Now to be honest I haven't used any up until chapter 15 eirika mode (on cormag -_-)... so my inventory is FULL of em and I'm wondering now if I'm going to be getting a lot more of these? And will I be playing a game in which all of my starting units will have maxed stats within their respective classes?

Also, about chapter 15 Eirika... all I will say is this..... That shit was hard, Like ragefest hard. Honestly that shit felt like a good ragefest submission however very luck based. Overall all of the chapters in eirika mode could use polishing and more thought IMO... I could be wrong but it seems chapter 15 was "hard by accident" because the very next chapter while annoying as fuck, can be trivialized just like chapters 12 and 14... Chapter 15 was hard for a lot of reasons mostly because of the fucking mages on the forts in the beginning. To beat the chapter its vital that I kill the bolting mage somehow which leaves atleast 1 of your units supseptible to the Wyvernknight swarm. in which one of them has to miss... not only that but the heros have to be disposed of early as well which will stretch the players units out. Meanwhile your southern units have to be strong enough to deal with the traveling paladins or else ephraim and his squad(except dussel) are DOA, which makes diverting the enemy units on the east more difficult...

Eirika and Eiphram quickly become baggage towards the middle of the game... they cannot promote so they're stuck with low movement, HP and <20 def and resistance... so I'm thinking this is a case in which we have a difficulty spike due to the fact that grinding becomes available and to be truthful that isn't good game designing. for a multitude of reasons.

Now to be fair! I Love chapter 13 Eirika... which is probably is the second hardest chapter behind.. chapter 15a... but that's due to a consequence of a change you made to chapter 9 where a Pirate was supposed to drop an ocean seal. Because of that I couldn't promote Colm whose speed was capped at 20 as a thief.. Now I don't if this was intentional but in order to steal from pablo the player would have to steal from isai to promote colm... That provided some really good depth which was the difficulty I hoped for in playing this hack.

Thx for your insight and critique.

Kller Edge/ Shamshir:

Weapons are balanced by rank. Both are C rank.

The 30% of the killer edge end game is not enough to proc criticals consistently

while Shamshir on the specific characters can reach respectable rates.

Also keep in mind assassins can use the Shamshir which boosts their "Lethality".

As for Eirika, she gains a base of 45%Crt.Ch. from Skill and Supports and class skill.

Personally i roll more often shamshirs than K.Edges because Critical are more frequent.

That 10% does matter as the game uses only 1 RNG instead of 2 for the Hit%.

It's only normal for weapons of the same rank to have pros and cons.

Male/Female caps:

Odd, usually people complain about these :P

Character growths are balanced by person, not gender, and their possible promotions.

As such, characters with the same promotion will end up with different stats.

And if you do take your time to max them out, yes they will be identical.

This is good as now there isn't a "mandatory" promotion. Anyone is viable in any path while still retaining their characteristic growths.

Promotion Growths:

You say some are odd but they are made so you can boost "weaknesses" of character growths.

Some promotions boost the strengths of some characters but you can also choose to improve their weaknesses.

Stat boosters:

They aren't enough.... really.

Eirika ch.15:

Do you have the updated version (1.10) where only half of them (wyverns) move?

You can also use those boosters if you need to.

(The bolting mage close to the wyverns is

bait

Instead of rushing him, you should get away from him.

)

Eirika/ Ephraim:

Yes, though at 20/0 are still viable up to Ch.15. In Ch.16 they are useless. (Don't bring the spare Ephraim/Eirika in that map)

That's why they get some good promo gains at the end of Ch.16.

For Ch.16, clear the stage while keeping your leader alive.

Wait, is the lethality formula based on crit, or based off of skill?

According to the site it's half your crit rate. The patch notes didn't mention any changes with regards to skills so we can presume that it stayed that way.

Leaving that aside, I've been playing this hack for a few days now and really enjoyed it so far so thank you for creating it.

I'm playing Ephraim Hard mode without grinding and just finished chapter 10.

Chapter 10 was the most intense map so far since so many things were happening at once and there were also many side objectives adding to the difficulty and making everything more entertaining but I still have a problem with the design of said chapter:

It's too much of a Seth/Duessel solo.

Reinforcements spawn in the starting area at the beginning of turn 5 (if memory serves) so you want to move as quick as possible. However, there's a wall of Fighters/Mercenaries in your way. Fighters are easy to take down but Mercenaries have 15 AS at that point. The only thing that ORKOes those guys gets 2/3RKOed in return, except Seth who can solo that part without any problems. It's definitely possible to solve this puzzle with weaker units but you don't have the time considering that reinforcements will spawn soon and there's generally a lot going on in this chapter.

The reinforcements themselves suffer from the same problem:

The Great Knight commander is pretty strong and he brings 6 or more cavaliers with him. The player will most likely just throw Seth/Duessel at them and call it a day. I mean, I know that it's possible to take them down with weaker units if you plan things out carefully (it's still kinda hard, though. The Commander has WT control and a Physic!Troubadour is nearby) but the player has other tasks to accomplish (recruiting Cormag/Duessel, rushing to the boss so that you can get his Knight Crest, possibly taking down one of the Ballista to get the stat booster/3000G etc) so he'll just make this one as simple as possible.

To sum it up: I think that chapter encourages the use of Seth/Duessel to trivialize puzzles that were supposed to be hard too much. That's at least what I think about this chapter.

Don't take this criticism the wrong way, though. The hack was great so far and the things I've mentioned are the only things that bug me. All in all, the hack is really good so far.

Thx for your insight and critique.

Kller Edge/ Shamshir:

Weapons are balanced by rank. Both are C rank.

The 30% of the killer edge end game is not enough to proc criticals consistently

while Shamshir on the specific characters can reach respectable rates.

Also keep in mind assassins can use the Shamshir which boosts their "Lethality".

As for Eirika, she gains a base of 45%Crt.Ch. from Skill and Supports and class skill.

Personally i roll more often shamshirs than K.Edges because Critical are more frequent.

That 10% does matter as the game uses only 1 RNG instead of 2 for the Hit%.

It's only normal for weapons of the same rank to have pros and cons.

Male/Female caps:

Odd, usually people complain about these :P

Character growths are balanced by person, not gender, and their possible promotions.

As such, characters with the same promotion will end up with different stats.

And if you do take your time to max them out, yes they will be identical.

This is good as now there isn't a "mandatory" promotion. Anyone is viable in any path while still retaining their characteristic growths.

Promotion Growths:

You say some are odd but they are made so you can boost "weaknesses" of character growths.

Some promotions boost the strengths of some characters but you can also choose to improve their weaknesses.

Stat boosters:

They aren't enough.... really.

Eirika ch.15:

Do you have the updated version (1.10) where only half of them (wyverns) move?

You can also use those boosters if you need to.

(The bolting mage close to the wyverns is

bait

Instead of rushing him, you should get away from him.

)

Eirika/ Ephraim:

Yes, though at 20/0 are still viable up to Ch.15. In Ch.16 they are useless. (Don't bring the spare Ephraim/Eirika in that map)

That's why they get some good promo gains at the end of Ch.16.

For Ch.16, clear the stage while keeping your leader alive.

I see, I see...

like you said it is more useful during the endgame considering the crit% use of stat boosters and silvercard... but in the early stages of the game it felt weird that The only thing the weapon has to offer is a higher chance of landing a crit but had so much cons compared to the Killing edge...

Male/female caps

I figured it was a thing people complained about... I just like the option of choosing my archetype for a class since you could get atleast two of almost every class... For example would I want a speedy general (High speed good defense) or would I want a tank (High strength & Defense). FE8 kinda gave you that option with units that can potentially max out a cap of a single stat respectively. And characters by gender do have growth patterns.. though each individual's growth rates per stat might differ across the board female classes typically have higher res/speed/luck & males have higher str/def/con even looking at my save now I see that pattern...which I believe was intentional.

My units have been pretty good all game w/ the exception of a few... So I was concerened that they'll be too good if I pumped them up with roids... The lords are good, however w/ the amount of enemies per chapter I believe my eirika was @ lvl20 before chapter 9 & at that point she's an exp blackhole and come chapter 13 w/o boosters she's a liability. (which isn't a big deal honestly).

Chapter 15a still sticks out to me as the "Difficult chapter" mostly The following chapters are significantly easier... I figured the sage was bait but he still destroys lives... The biggest middlefinger comes at the end of chapter 2 if I don't divert the paladins (by killing the sage).. Ephraim/knoll is a deadman..

I guess I just had to figure out how this game was meant to be played, when to effectively uses boosters, who/when to promote, etc. etc..

Edited by GiGi

Ok, thx for all responses.

- The Commander at Emphraim-Ch10:

Yeah, i found him too somewhat beefed.

But because he was still weaker than Bertrand(?) (Boss Ch.10) I thought it should be OK.

The "problem" is that he is either joke weak or somewhat a respectable commander.

At least his SPD sucks so he won't be able to kill any frontliner.

Maybe i should reduce his Lv. to 1 which will bring all his stats -1 and HP -3.

In 1 run, I killed all his squad first and then him,

in another run i killed him first and tanked his squad.

It works both ways but yeah you need your 8 best units (including 2 mages) with D~C rank weapons to do that.

The turn limit of the chapter has been extended but if you feel too pressed to do everything

maybe i should extend the chapter turn limit by 1 or 2 more turns.

- General (or class) diversity:

Gilliam is a solid PHS tank with descent RES and enough SPD to not get doubled. He is very good for 90% of the game.

Amelia is an all-around character. As General she caps SPD early (around 20/8) and catches up at the end.

I found Gilliam more usefull than Amelia for the most of the game, but Amelia end-game indeed surpasses him as she becomes multi-purpose.

(though Amelia as GK and Garm turns out a front-line killer)

Since some players have biases over characters, having both with same caps allows those players to pick units based on personality too

and cover stat issues with boosters later.

- Weapon Balance:

Yeah, i made them based mostly on end-game standards (Lv20/10+) since FE8 had endgame problems mostly.

Thus, C rank weapons look quite strong as they become available early

with the reason that killer weapons act as "i-win-choice" in case someone gets stuck somewhere early.

As such K.Edges are better than Shamshirs in early/mid game

and Shamshirs become better than K.Edges at close-end/ end game.

(though i found promoted Lv20/9 Tana with Slim Lances and 5 Supports ORKO Orson in Ch.16

and I was like "Huh? I buffed Orson and he stil sucks" :P)

Also, i made stats and weapon ratings based on the True-Hit calculator

with enemy Hit% being around 25~40% (which usually means around -6Hit% of what you see in screen)

- The infamous Eirika Ch15:

And i thought Ephraim's version was harder.

The idea was to create 2 fights in the north and south

with the south one trying to open an escape path

and the north one trying to break through the enemy gauntlet and killing the north enemy commander in the process.

As such, things are quite boring in the south from turn 3+.

I'm thinking of changing that Bolting mage in the fort into a weaker MAG bishop with a lower MT Purge (which means higher Hit% around +10%)

or and an easier option of a Druid with Eclipse (which means a lol Hit% of 0~15% but 15~20DMG if it lands by miracle)

- @ TrestKon

Read your idea of a Joshua sprite with a hat. Unfortunately, I am so busy in RL (and BloodBorne :P) that i don't have time for it. Sorry!

- The Commander at Emphraim-Ch10:

Yeah, i found him too somewhat beefed.

But because he was still weaker than Bertrand(?) (Boss Ch.10) I thought it should be OK.

The "problem" is that he is either joke weak or somewhat a respectable commander.

At least his SPD sucks so he won't be able to kill any frontliner.

Maybe i should reduce his Lv. to 1 which will bring all his stats -1 and HP -3.

In 1 run, I killed all his squad first and then him,

in another run i killed him first and tanked his squad.

It works both ways but yeah you need your 8 best units (including 2 mages) with D~C rank weapons to do that.

The turn limit of the chapter has been extended but if you feel too pressed to do everything

maybe i should extend the chapter turn limit by 1 or 2 more turns.

Wouldn't it be more effective to derail the reinforcements by ~2 turns?

I used Seth so much in the beginning because the reinforcements arrive relatively soon. Derailing their arrival a little bit would make it more feasible to beat the early enemy rush with non-Seth units.

The main reason as to why I countered the reinforcements only with Seth was because there were still a lot of enemies in the south: Cormags Wyvern Riders, a bunch of Mercenaries and some pirates. My main army was busy dealing with those so Seth went to the north and dealt with those guys alone. If they would arrive a bit later then it would be more feasible to face them with your full army and beat them as you described.

You could extend the turn limit but I don't think that you really need to. I got everything except Bertrands (btw, he is stronger than the commander, in case you were asking that) Knight Crest and that only because I got RNG-screwed (missed 4 out of 5 ~60% hits and the enemy somehow kept blocking me from getting to him for a turn or two). Furthermore, my strategy wasn't optimized, it was mostly improvised because I beat it during my second attempt (resetted once because I thought that Cormags group moves immediately and my plan was kinda screwed when I found out that it doesn't) and I didn't know how everything would develop at that point.

By the way, was Bertrand intended to be so dodgy? I just checked a save I made before trying to take him down and he has 65 Avoid and nothing weighs him down. My Seth has 52% Hit with a Horseslayer when he has the Longbow equipped and much worse hit rates VS Lancereaver. Duessel has 64% VS Lancereaver.

If you want to make it easier for the player to accomplish all side objectives, consider nerfing his AS so that the player can hit more reliable/double/steal the Knight crest. Adding a turn would work too but I think that players who are better at planning ahead of time than me could get bored in the last few turns because the only hing they'd be doing would be fighting Bertrand.

Edited by Cyas

By the way, was Bertrand intended to be so dodgy? I just checked a save I made before trying to take him down and he has 65 Avoid and nothing weighs him down. My Seth has 52% Hit with a Horseslayer when he has the Longbow equipped and much worse hit rates VS Lancereaver. Duessel has 64% VS Lancereaver.

If you want to make it easier for the player to accomplish all side objectives, consider nerfing his AS so that the player can hit more reliable/double/steal the Knight crest. Adding a turn would work too but I think that players who are better at planning ahead of time than me could get bored in the last few turns because the only hing they'd be doing would be fighting Bertrand.

I remember that he was a dodgy pain in the neck in vanilla - Ephraim with Reginleif had something like a 56% hit rate, even when he was "weighed down" with the Longbow. I think what I did was use the Killing Edge on Seth, while mini-Seth (Franz) was busy up north.

- Bertrand:

Ya, he was a dodge/def tank in the vanilla too.

Hardly had to touch hist SPD/Luck.

However, he receives that evasion from the gate bonus he is standing.

Had the same issue with Gheb: wanted him to have the same stats with Binks

but Gheb has throne bonuses

and he resulted in being quite weaker than Binks

to balance things out.

Could reduce his SPD-1 or -2 which with True Hit will give 3~6% more Hit% to your units. But i really don't want to nerf him more than that.

- Ch10 reinforcement:

I see. It is easy to make them appear 1 or 2 turns later, but that means they will keep the player busy for 2 more turns

taking that time from Bertrand.

It would be essential to extend the turn limit at least by 1 turn unless it is easy to handle the Commander with Bertrand together.

I remember that he was a dodgy pain in the neck in vanilla - Ephraim with Reginleif had something like a 56% hit rate, even when he was "weighed down" with the Longbow. I think what I did was use the Killing Edge on Seth, while mini-Seth (Franz) was busy up north.

I actually tried to take him down with KE!Seth as well (I only mentioned the Horseslayer hit rates because I thought that you were supposed to use that against him) but somehow he missed 3 times in a row. Oh well, I guess I can't expect much from a 62% displayed Hit.

- Bertrand:

Ya, he was a dodge/def tank in the vanilla too.

Hardly had to touch hist SPD/Luck.

However, he receives that evasion from the gate bonus he is standing.

Had the same issue with Gheb: wanted him to have the same stats with Binks

but Gheb has throne bonuses

and he resulted in being quite weaker than Binks

to balance things out.

Could reduce his SPD-1 or -2 which with True Hit will give 3~6% more Hit% to your units. But i really don't want to nerf him more than that.

- Ch10 reinforcement:

I see. It is easy to make them appear 1 or 2 turns later, but that means they will keep the player busy for 2 more turns

taking that time from Bertrand.

It would be essential to extend the turn limit at least by 1 turn unless it is easy to handle the Commander with Bertrand together.

Yeah, -1 or -2 Spd sounds like a reasonable change.

Technically speaking, you'd only need Halberd!Duessel VS. Bertrand since he 2HKOes, has WTA (and after a small Spd nerf hopefully acceptable Hit) and doesn't get much damage in return but I think you might want to give the Player a bit leeway. In the end, it really is up to you but giving one extra turn would probably be the right course of action.

Damn sad to hear you cant do the josh hat, figured since you did the female assassin entirely, that the "hat" had hope :P

Anyway finished my play through a few days back (Ephraim's hard mode) and wow even though I managed it, it was difficult hey... I like! ^^

I still haven't gotten around to eirika's but i will sometime in the near future on hard as well, from what i've seen the others say, it seems like it should be hard enough.

That said, I read some of the other replies after mine a while back about the stat caps, I also had my concerns over some of them - Swordmasters SKL was nerfed down to 26 which probably dosent change much but with marisa and josh's growth's they seemed to max that out pretty quick and their pretty much getting empty levels on the 2nd class at like maybe lv 13 or so. Also Heroes seem to pretty much outclass swordmasters in nearly every possible way besides speed plus they have the extra axe use, not that its a problem since Gerik is awesome but I just felt the balance was lost a bit there? In the vanilla FE8 heroes didn't outclass them this much with stat caps, i guess it wouldnt be a problem if swordmasters COULD reach their max potential in their DEF and RES caps but swordmasters always suck in that growth department. So i figure since they've been nerfed with the skill, maybe consider giving them +1 STR cap for 25 STR since their swordlocked and swords are weaker by quite a margin.

Another one is the rogue and assassin stat caps, maybe instead of rogue's STR being 22 make the assassin's STR cap 22 and Rogue's DEF and RES caps 22 since (if your going down that route) assassin's are more battleworthy on the offensive and rogue's a LITTLE more tanky on the run if they can reach that cap limit but otherwise their other stats im fine with.

All that down, generally every other class i approve, I like the fact that the Snipers STR is a 30 cap, makes more incentive to use them and a good compromise since the cant attack close range, Mage knights is a good viable option to Sages and Summoner's 15% crit bonus is another incentive to pick that over a druid though I always pegged the Valkyries to be the ones with crit bonus because of their attack animation sound - sounds like an electric attack which in my mind seems like a critical attack XD

Generals have 2, 30 stat caps - DEF and STR which is nice but is that because of their lowered SPD stat compared to the rest of the other classes?

ALL that said I'm happy with your take on FE8's lack of main story challenge and addressing it, and i'll be looking forward to playing Eirika's hard route next time ^_^

- Josh hat:

I didn't make the Assassin (F) sprite :P

I "stole" it completed from the resource directory (animation, palette, script, sounds) and inserted it in the game.

(hence the credits for the animation)

Now, if someone can make a Josh myrm/SM full animation with a hat (which i know would take many many hours) completed with the script and all

then i could insert it in the game

but i know it's a ton of work just for a hat :P

- Ms/ Heroes:

Heroes are all around balanced with good WT control but nothing special

while SMs are dodge tanks that use their speed to hit fast and hard and also have solid RES to go against any type of magic tree.

Their STR cap is 24 because among the classes with the +15Crt. bonus:

Falcos have 23 STR with lol DEF and CON

Zerkers are glass cannons with somewhat inaccurate Axes

G.Lords are the 2 main characters and they can slightly break the limits

Summoners are Dark-locked which while strong, it's crippling their speed

and Snipers are slow.

Wyverns with Pierce are bow/wind weak and Spear-locked.

SMs have no weakness at all and while Sword-locked their weapon is the most versatile in the game

with very light options, high Crt%, highest Hit% and access to magic swords with various effects,

able to fight monsters, fliers (or flyers?), mages, dragons, horses/armoured enemies and even heal themselves.

They can kill everything and even critical them all day while dodging everything.

- Assassin/ Rogue:

Assassins work with Lethality. They are not about flat DMG. Even with 0DMG, they can still kill their mark.

That's what the caps show (20STR, 30SKILL).

Rogues are running units, that use their speed to rob blind their targets and run from the angry mob chasing them.

Initially, I had Rogues like you suggested but since their combat sucked bad (as expected), I gave them 2 more STR (22)

so they can at least scratch some end game trash enemies.

- Valkyries:

Nah, they don't need Crt. bonus since they aren't DMG classes

and also their Light tree has the highest Crt% (10~40%) of all magic trees.

Sure Bishops have "Slayer" + Light Crt% + 30SKILL cap

but Valkyries have more CON and much higher SPD (30).

(Bishops hit hard, Valkyries double)

Plus Valkyries can use staves with ailments and siege tomes that other critical classes can't.

- Generals:

Generals have 2 stats cap 30, but their SPD and RES suck, extremely many ranged options,

they have full WT control and their "Wall" skill at Lv20 procs reliably. (They can seriously troll you with that skill in end game)

Give them a good terrain and they become super annoying to deal with.

Rescue them with a flyer, drop them at some mountains close to enemies and grab your pop-corn.

Nice mod, I have been enjoying it so far, thank you. I'm just past chapter 15 and now I wanted to train a bit in the tower. Unfortunately after clearing the tower the game crashes (black screen). Retreat doesn't work as well. There seems to be no way out of this for me, very sad. I could try going on without the tower, but I'd like to use Knoll, which is nearly impossible without the tower because of his low level and bases (which are a bit ridiculously low for this mod at that point).

Any idea how to fix this?

Edit: Luckily several resets and turns later it randomly worked :) Now I can continue my run.

Edited by Tycho

I think assassins should have at least the same str cap rogues have honestly.

Also, Gerik having more con is nice, but same con than hero Garcia is a bit of a stretch.

By the way, is there any particular reason you changed some portraits? Neimi actually bugs me a little...

Also, Gerik having more con is nice, but same con than hero Garcia is a bit of a stretch.

By the way, is there any particular reason you changed some portraits? Neimi actually bugs me a little...

I think you got your numbers mixed up. Geriks Con was nerfed, it was 13 in the original FE8. Hero!Gerik also has +1 Con over Hero!Garcia in the original (Gerik 15 and Garcia 14, in case you wanted the exact numbers).

Nice mod, I have been enjoying it so far, thank you. I'm just past chapter 15 and now I wanted to train a bit in the tower. Unfortunately after clearing the tower the game crashes (black screen). Retreat doesn't work as well. There seems to be no way out of this for me, very sad. I could try going on without the tower, but I'd like to use Knoll, which is nearly impossible without the tower because of his low level and bases (which are a bit ridiculously low for this mod at that point).

Any idea how to fix this?

Edit: Luckily several resets and turns later it randomly worked :) Now I can continue my run.

That's very odd. This never happened ever and i haven't touched any data with the slightest relation to the Tower/Ruins.

Edit1: I'm using No$GBA as emulator if that matters

Edit2: Did you start with the first 1.00 ver. then later patched it over with 1.10 and continued on the same save file?

Assassins with more DMG and "Lethality" and more DEF/RES over Rogues?

Excluding the overkill and unfairness, I don't see how assassins that aim for insta-kills would need that extra 2 STR...

Garcia still the has the highest CON of everyone.

I dunno, it really bugged me many characters had a different mug and a different combat sprite armor/attire...

or that some of them were fashion disasters....

Edit3: Patch 1.11 that handles some balance/ timing issues is out.

Edited by BrightVega