Samias's Art Stuff

Samias

Really great stuff! Nice job on the folds in the clothing, especially with the shading. That's a tough thing for me to do, personally. You have some good character design ideas. :)

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! That picture was one of those really great times where at first I wasn't so sure about the lineart, but it looked really good once I shaded it. It makes such a difference to shade in inked pictures, since you tend to lose some of the energy of the first sketch and the shading basically brought back the depth. I had fun.

juno_carbuncle__ready_for_battle__by_xyrafhoan-d5fz2sf.jpg

And here's another character who became hilarious over time. In-universe he becomes an immortal who becomes increasing muscular and also increasingly gay (no, really). It's pretty much a complete joke of a character by now, so I draw him increasingly emo and put him in completely ridiculous scenarios. There's an animation of him and a comic floating around, voiced by this character's creator and it's PERFECT.

watch this and understand the universe

The cape is my favourite part, too. I don't normally draw anthro, but this is for an RP website that I mod, and this is one of the setting's races, known as Unicaitans in-universe. They're a bunch of anthro snow leopards.

unicaitan_by_xyrafhoan-d5g9ggw.png

I drew the spots by hand :o

Storyboard page 1

Storyboard page 2

Some quick character mockups

This version has some mistakes that have since been corrected (the numbering, namely).

eadrin2.jpg

This bunch of scribbles was me trying way too hard to draw a handsome face and body ;_; I was failing and gave up on the other parts of the drawing I had. I also posted some rough stuff to my tumblr as well.

That same dude + mask

Random characters

looks rly good though as a felloiw artist id recommend using more colors some of those are almost black and white

I have to disagree, as a fellow art appreciator. Monochrome works can be incredibly stylistic, and include some pieces that I absolutely enjoy.

Right now, I'm trying to fill up a much smaller sketchbook than what I normally work in. It means I fuss around a lot less with my art than ever before. It also means I draw a lot of dumb things in my off-time at school! Here's a sneak peek into the cast of characters I'm working on~

tumblr_mberipVUXg1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

It looks like Ike's near arm is in an impossible position. The thumb is on the wrong side of his hand if the palm is facing us. I think the top of Soren's head might be a small bit too wide also.

As for the background, I dunno if this is a huge pain at the point but the trees/turret feel cut off. I think the canvas could stand to be extended a bit upwards. You might want to check the angles on the castle wall too, especially near the turret, the vertical lines aren't consistent with each other.

You might wanna consider adding some sort of flora to the foreground as well, maybe some weeds and bits of grass to frame the image more and add a little more depth between us and Ike/Soren, but that's not really that important.

I think your color choice is particularly nice here though, especially in the background. All of the colors you see through the entrance of the castle walls look fantastic to me. Also super cute image obviously~

It looks like Ike's near arm is in an impossible position. The thumb is on the wrong side of his hand if the palm is facing us. I think the top of Soren's head might be a small bit too wide also.

As for the background, I dunno if this is a huge pain at the point but the trees/turret feel cut off. I think the canvas could stand to be extended a bit upwards. You might want to check the angles on the castle wall too, especially near the turret, the vertical lines aren't consistent with each other.

You might wanna consider adding some sort of flora to the foreground as well, maybe some weeds and bits of grass to frame the image more and add a little more depth between us and Ike/Soren, but that's not really that important.

I think your color choice is particularly nice here though, especially in the background. All of the colors you see through the entrance of the castle walls look fantastic to me. Also super cute image obviously~

aaahhhh wow I did not notice the thumb-on-hand thing despite showing this to several people and yeah, it is on the wrong side. As for the walls... One is supposed to be coming closer, but I suppose that's not clear. I might as well continue it on with the rest of the wall into the distance.

To be honest I thought Soren's head was on the big side compared to where his body size. It could use fiddling. Where it is behind the tree makes it especially wide but his face probably shouldn't be so wide at that angle.

More trees and stuff have been added as I went along, so hopefully when I get to more detailed BG work, it'll look more lively and less flat.

1caDJ.png

Woops forgot to add this to my post, but that's clarification on what I thought looked weird about the wall--I understand that the wall on the left is coming closer, I just meant that some of the lines I went over weren't straight

Good job so far though~ This is inspiring, I should really work with lines more. Are you going to paint it? I kinda like it flat-colored o:

I drew the parts by hand without rulers because I thought the wibble-wobble might be better but seeing the red straight lines makes me think I should at least be a liiiitle more careful that I'm not making my castle out of half-pulled out Jenga blocks XD thankfully I thought ahead and put every bit of lineart for each piece on its own layer!

Colouring backgrounds is a major weakness on my part, especially when characters are involved. Even this background is actually apprehended from a layout I already drew for school + added trees.

Anyway, big changes as follows:

-Ike's hand was fixed. He no longer has a broken flopped wrist. Even his other hand was touched up and fingers were repositioned a little.

-Soren's head is a little more round. Not a great fix but it's better than before.

-Lazy shading added to Ike and Soren. May not accurately represent final product, barring laziness.

-The tree trunk has shading too.

-Castle in the back has less wibble-wobble. Some of the perspective of the walls has been changed.

As for extending the canvas, it would probably look better to give the trees more space, but at this point my school has gotten quite busy, so I might just plow ahead as-is at this point, since the background is already sort of a nightmarish learning curve for me. I need to look up tutorials at this point, I think.

ikesoren-wip.jpg

Edited by Samias

Thanks for the love~ I did enjoy working on Soren's expression. I needed it to say a lot without words (obviously). Some more big sketchdumps coming this way. I've been kind of consumed with school so these are things I can rattle out in minutes on the bus. The first page was posted before, but then I added some colours. For some of the characters that I'd never worked on before or hadn't worked on in a long time it was a little difficult thinking up what colours I really wanted to use without making everything look too uniform. Characters I draw a lot got their colours tweaked too.

Some background information on the characters included in these sketchdumps:

[spoiler=Lore stuff. No art in here. Just a bunch of tldr]

Everyone in this world exists with some sort of magical ability. People's powers are altered by the concentrated magic that comes from the seven shrines, so everyone has a certain affinity to one of the elements. Everything is colour coded for convenience!

Red = Fire

Blue = Water/Ice

Green = Earth

Purple = Wind

Yellow = Lightning

Black = Dark

White = Light

So everyone can be described as a coloured mage of sorts. Exposure to more magic can cause someone to hybrid with other types of magic.

And onto characters!

Marith: A red mage who hails from a desert town called Twinfires. He's the son of the town's mayor and departs on a journey to find his brother, who left down in rebellion. Despite being an occasional hothead and not having the biggest brain on his shoulders, Marith is considered a pretty upstanding guy. He lugs around a way-too-big sword that I never draw known as the Flame Edge.

Katrin: A white mage hailing from a mountainous village known as Tharda. She embarked on a pilgrimage to learn about the rest of the world and come back to her town a more wizened woman. An altruist. She first meets Marith after he gets his butt handed to him by a man in a mask.

Juno: A green mage who was studying magic in-depth, until his master abandoned him. He doesn't really know why. He sees Marith on his journey and instantly falls in love decides his life would be better helping someone else's cause and maybe he'll learn something. He uses a cane sword handed down to him from his grandfather. He won't say where he's from.

(below are characters created by people who aren't me but who I redesigned anyway)

Arwik: A yellow mage who is a little on the loony side. He uses spears and tries very hard to master teleportation magic, but usually falls several hundreds of kilometres off the mark. Doesn't care where he's from.

Freem: A blue mage and a bard. He's always smiling, to the point where he's kind of annoying, but also a bit of a know-it-all. A vagabond.

Hotaru: A purple mage who guards her mountainous town, highly attuned to chaotic forces. She's young but stays calm and fights with ferocity beyond her years. She doesn't actually show up on these two sketchdumps.

(and characters who aren't part of the main group)

Tia: Marith's childhood friend (?) who hopes that Marith's brother returns safely to Twinfires. She's also the head of the town's robust merchant association.

Eadrin: Marith's older brother. He left town after fighting over his role in his family, but was never seen since. Marith has a hunch that he's still around.

[spoiler=The actual art stuff]

tumblr_mbsx8eqHzQ1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

(sorry I badly arranged the top row so some feet I actually did draw got cut off ;_;)

tumblr_mbps9jUQTK1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Samias

I've been busy with school lately but there was a gag I had a burning desire to write.

[spoiler=very slightly questionable content ahead]

tumblr_mc5q08r2fF1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

And some stuff I did in pencil~

tumblr_mc2fudtm0W1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Samias

I've been sick this weekend so in the middle of a lecture that I struggled to sit through, I ended up sketching up some art that's a little bit darker than usual, evoking some scenes from the story I'm writing.

[spoiler=blood warning]

karyna-defeat.png

My first thought was "kind of tame for a blood warning", but then I remember that some people are squeemish. Also, hot damn, that shiner.

I hope she gave as well as she got. The key also intrigues me...