Super Robot Wars

Rei

Man that sounds mega hard (to someone like me who is super casual in playing SRW). Is there a special mode in this game? Like, in OGs at least there was a reason to play through EX Hard mode. I don't wanna start one if it's not gonna be worth anything but a trophy.

Yep there is special mode in this game you can just do another normal mode run on the same file to unlock it instead of doing ex-hard.

REALLY? O:That's awesome!

It's just like SRW Z same EX mode with no upgrades and PP usage, and another play through to unlock special mode

how comparable is it to OG2 ex hard mode or whatever it's called there?

I haven't played ex-hard mode on OG2, but from what my brother tells me OG2 is harder since enemies get +3 more upgrades so you'll be seeing fully upgraded grunts and enemies with more stats. Plus those HP regen bosses makes your character choices limited.The only bonus enemies get in ps3 OG (I think) is just more kills so they get their ace bonus faster. Not too threatening since grunts get +5% accuracy and evade and some bosses just cast confuse at 40%hp. The only ace bonus that is a threat are ones that cast zeal every turn at certain will, probably the only thing you have to worry about are grunts since when 5 and 6 upgraded grunts show up even Ratsel has a hard time surviving if hes frontlining.

Shiiit man I've only played Ex once, I was recalling what I remember not sure if it was correct, I just remember them having almost full upgrades. But I found OG 2 more challenging, and SP parts, SP Regen, Enable, Tornado Blade FTW.

Also I think SRW Z would be the most challenging on EX though I never finished it.

Edited by Sanger

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So EX-Hard provides no challenge? I guess I'll know by this weekend then.

Can you run through EX-Hard with any units you want? Or would you recommend using a few select units/pilots in this run?

So EX-Hard provides no challenge? I guess I'll know by this weekend then.

Can you run through EX-Hard with any units you want? Or would you recommend using a few select units/pilots in this run?

At most you're asked to bench 10-11 pilots. You can deploy 80-90% of your roster at any given time. It's more a question of what party setups you want to make. If all you do is take your time and get the SR points, you can deploy just about any party setup for most of the game. The last couple scenarios you'll want to get a bit more serious for the high HP bosses, though.

You should do low turn counts and try to beat optional fleeing bosses if you want to get a bit more challenge out of ex-hard.

I just want to make sure I have little to be excited about:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/929920-dai-2-ji-super-robot-taisen-og/data

This lists one of the regions as "AS." This refers to Asia, and not Australia (where they still speak the king's english), correct.

srt is bad

It is. It should be "Operation SRW" not "Operation SRT."

Operation Sexy Romance Twister? Romance Triathalon? Romance of Three Kingdoms?

Operation Sexy Romance Weapon.

As it was the case with the PS2 games, I doubt we would see this one in English anyway.

Who knows, though. In the case of the PS2 games, at least from what I heard, it was because of this Sony policy of the games requiring an English voice-over if it was to be released in, well, English. And something about the cost of hiring a full cast of VA's for that meant a no-go. Don't know if this applies to any other language as well (Does the KO is for Korea? Does that means they hire Korean VA's or just translate the text?). I think lately most European games with voice have English for everybody and just change the text.

If that's true, then the case still persists with this game. No hiring of VA's = no release. Though if it really stands for Asia... would it really be for most of Asia, or just key places like China?

As it was the case with the PS2 games, I doubt we would see this one in English anyway.

Who knows, though. In the case of the PS2 games, at least from what I heard, it was because of this Sony policy of the games requiring an English voice-over if it was to be released in, well, English. And something about the cost of hiring a full cast of VA's for that meant a no-go. Don't know if this applies to any other language as well (Does the KO is for Korea? Does that means they hire Korean VA's or just translate the text?). I think lately most European games with voice have English for everybody and just change the text.

If that's true, then the case still persists with this game. No hiring of VA's = no release. Though if it really stands for Asia... would it really be for most of Asia, or just key places like China?

I checked more using the terms listed on the gamefaqs page and figured out that BLAS is a code for games released in the Asia region. It seems like it may be more of a packaging designation than something related to the disc content - some people on a discussion board in 2006 were saying that sometimes the NTSC-J disc/cd/w/e would be released with a different language manual.

Sorry to bother you with the question, since it turned out I was able to figure it out D: But I'm always hoping that the OG games at least might make it over here eventually.

Edited by Mouse

I also have that hope. It's kinda frustrating since there is no licensing issues, but instead the requirement of having a separate cast for at the very least, English releases, and apparently they aren't allowed to just release the game with translated text.

If you ask me, that would be cool, and would save them money, but apparently it's all or nothing for Sony. Kind of a bummer, at least for now.

Can't say for sure what this means for the DS LoE game and the 2nd Endless Frontier game who also didn't made it over here either, though.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Thank you. Right now I'm doing a no pp/upgrade all SP run of Alpha Gaiden. Much more difficult game. Although I'm pretty sure there is no SRW that approaches FE12 lunatic reverse in difficulty.

Oh, I wouldn't be too sure of that. Give SRW 3 a try sometime and see for yourself.

I've already finished all the winkysoft SRWs w/ low turn counts and no upgrades, including SRW 3 and MK1. I have a few short SRW guides at gfaqs.

I thought SRW 3 was overrated. It's above average in difficulty. MAP attacks own everything including all those double act grunts near the end. It's possible to complete some of the missions so quickly that you bug out the game and lose half your roster (possible in SRW 4 as well).

Masoukishin 1 for SFC has some annoying RNG skills like double attack and sword cut, but I wouldn't call it a difficult game. Especially if you're upgrading your weapons so your ultimate attacks can 1-2 shot most of the bosses.

The most difficult winkysoft SRWs to me were F/FF and 4th SRW. The easiest were EX and Shin.

Edited by mjemirzian

As far as SRW 3 goes, the annoying part for me, when I did play it, was not getting to see hit %s before confirming the attack. I mean, I guess if I looked up the hit and evasion calculations for SRW I might learn something more about the games and be able to play SRW 3 more, but it was annoying. I ended up save-stating before attacking new enemies so I could have some idea of when it was worth attacking.

I didn't play very far...I think I stopped playing around a beach chapter, because they cut out about half your pilot roster for that chapter, and the ones that were left weren't stationed in good mechs at the time, or something. I don't remember exactly what happened. But even there, if I had played a bit more conservatively, I probably wouldn't have lost (or rather, felt like I was gonna lose).

The hardest SRW for me that I actually beat was probably OG1 (kyo's route), just because it was a step up from J, because I was going for skill points. And I knew nothing about the characters, so there was little expectation of who would be worth using or whatever. But I played it again recently (like within the past year?) on Ryusei's route and it felt even easier than J, I guess because what I had to do to clear the difficulties felt more straightforward.

I also played some A, but on GBA, which is supposed to be a lot easier than the PSP version (which I've heard a number of people say is easily the hardest). There's something weird about the g gundams when they go super mode, that allows them to do absurdly higher amounts of damage than the rest of your roster. They seem to be the only things capable of killing the bosses that retreat at low health (frequently anyway). Again I didn't play too far here. Axel was in the ashsaber cuz I like that mech, and he could easily dodge everything, do decent damage, and use accel.

I'd actually say that while I played A (gba) pretty carefully in comparison, it's maybe the most interesting and difficult one I've played so far. Don't really know why...just tough bosses, interesting reinforcement placement, stuff like that?

Edited by Mouse

Yeah you pretty much have to learn the hit/dodge formula in 3rd SRW or quicksave a lot. I think the archaic mechanics are tougher to deal with than the stages themselves.

I haven't played any of the GBA or DS SRWs, but I read that A is more difficult than intended due to an armor calculation bug that screws supers.

The most difficult SRWs I'm aware of in no particular order:

F/FF

Alpha Gaiden (all skill points)

Z Ex-Hard (all skill points)

A Portable

Impact and Compact 2 might also be difficult, maybe.

Actually the SRW that's known for the armor bug is SRWD for the GBA. Although the supposed armor bug is more of a case where Banpresto forgot to raise the HP and Armor values for supers to scale with the OG era damage. Nevertheless SRWD is by far the hardest of the GBA SRWs IMO because enemies hit hard and they have excellent accuracy rates as well.

Say, for a more 'modern' comparison, how would you guys think SRW 3's PSX version is?

Compact 2.... now that's one I could say it can be hard. Considering it has stuff like Aura Battlers... oh, and then they are those Dilad Mechas that the mere grunts have 10000+ HP, high armor, AND beam coating, as well as the the Gespents and Einst Gemmuet.

Edited by Acacia Sgt