FE4 First Generation Tier List

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Fin can go to high in my opinion, he is just so crucial for the tactics rank with his Hero Lance.

kinda old'd, but... Any lance dood with a half decent lance level can use that lance. And you'll want to give it to someone else anyway so you can use it the whole game.

Edited by Reikken

The only units who can use it in Ch2 are Fin, Cuan, Sigurd and Fury. Fury joins pretty much at the end, Cuan can only attack twice with it and "negates" his Continue skill, and Sigurd is Sigurd. Fin kicks the most butt with it. Ardan, Lachesis, Noish and Alec can use it after promotion, but that's just as eh. And by then Fin is gone anyway.

Case in point, Fin kicks ass in Ch2 and Ch3 with Hero Lance.

The only units who can use it in Ch2 are Fin, Cuan, Sigurd and Fury. Fury joins pretty much at the end, Cuan can only attack twice with it and "negates" his Continue skill, and Sigurd is Sigurd. Fin kicks the most butt with it. Ardan, Lachesis, Noish and Alec can use it after promotion, but that's just as eh. And by then Fin is gone anyway.

Case in point, Fin kicks ass in Ch2 and Ch3 with Hero Lance.

That still leaves Fury for ch 3 and the rest of ch 2.

And Cuan's continue isn't exactly reliable. It's what, 20%? You're not missing much. At all. And yes, he only attacks twice, but he also has massive str. And more def/hp.

Also, why is Levin top tier? He doesn't have Pursuit, and he doesn't get Holsety until near the end of ch 4 iirc.

Fury can't even catch up to your main army in Ch2. In Ch3, she's probably flying to villages/the northern pirate feast, maybe picking off those Firemages in the central forest area, etc, so she'd rather use a sword.

Cuan attacking twice obviously does a lot less than Fin attacking four times.

Also, why is Levin top tier? He doesn't have Pursuit, and he doesn't get Holsety until near the end of ch 4 iirc.

He gets you a ton of gold in Ch2 by getting those banditos out of the way.

He can storm through arenas with his eyes closed.

1~2 range + Res hitting.

Reliable Avo.

Staves after promotion.

And with his 14 base AS and 12% Skl, he still has 34% Continue and 12% Crit. Activating either of those means a guaranteed kill on almost everything. This alone has ~42% chance of happening, and his Spd increases by one pretty much every level.

Plus, he has the cash to actually buy the Pursuit Ring, and there's not too many candidates for it, and it's not likely that it'll be bought over a lot since it costs 40k, and other units want to swap around the Elite Ring as well. And given that Levin is around to pick up some villages/Bargain Ring anyway...

The only way he's not top tier is if you really really really want all your top tiers to have Pursuit + mount.

I could get killed for this, but oh well...

Sigurd

(believe it or not...) Fury

High

Azel

Levin

Lachesis

Lex

Ayra

Sylvia

Upper Mid

Deu

Finn

Bridget

Jamuka

Ethlin

Holyn

Edin

Tiltyu

Lower Mid

Cuan

Mideel

Beowulf

Claude

Low

Alec

Noish

Adan

Diadora

From your list, I'm going to guess you really like a lot of gold or something.

Fury in top? All she is really good for is killing bandits. Her lack of availability, weakness to ballistae, inability to use terrain etc really hurts her.

Azel above nearly everyone else? He has the worst mobility and defense out of everyone you have for the first 4 chapters. :(

Dew's combat...is just so awful. It takes ages for him to get good at it, and it's only through promotion, if it's going to happen.

Cuan is pretty damn low for pretty much your second best unit, maybe third, in Ch2 and Ch3.

Alec is bad, but not _that_ bad.

Tiltyu has Wrath, yeah, but she also sucks at moving and living.

Each their own opinion, but this is definitely not mine.

Many people complained to me on the same thing, what is the good from Fury that make you deemed her as a one of your tops? Well, I like Fury’s ability to move freely on the map without thinking about the terrain, sure she won’t get a bonus terrain, but all good things come with a price right?

It also a common knowledge that flying units are fragile to any type of bow/archery/whatever, so all you need to do is a little bit careful on using her. I don’t find it as a problem. Heck, FE is a SRPG game, emphasis on S as strategy.

I also find Fury to extremely useful for killing. While she might not work in the same method as the other, head to head battle; she the best to use in a hit and run tactic. I’m pretty sure none of you would believe me when I said I killed Leptor and all of his minions with Fury only. =/

=( I don’t know about you, but my Azel always managed to promote himself in chapter 1. So I don’t understand on the “worst mobility” part. Bad defense? Hah! He gets the same defense with Levin, but you won’t complaint about Levin. Why?

(I’m getting myself ready for the angry mob that surely will come after my head)

I’ll pick Fury or Azel over Levin on any day. (Yep, I’m so dead)

To my opinion, Levin is short of average character with a while-it’s-true-it-was-awesome-but-it-also-kind-of-overrated Holsety.

Just like Shanan, take their Holy Weapons from them and they are pretty much average. If not for the fact I still look up to his Holsety, I probably have put him on the ‘Upper Mid’ category. =/

Once again, my Deu also always managed to promote himself in chapter 1, like Azel. So he is pretty much awesome. Not to forget that I need money to passed down to 2nd gen. Those children need a good amount of pocket money.

Cuan…I didn’t really list of these people according to their usefulness for me. ^^;; I just sorted and categorized them. And he was happened to be the first person that came in my mind, to fall in this category. (Though my stands on Fury and Azel are true, in fact I could put Azel to my ‘Top’ units.)

Tiltyu come in a chapter where there is a never ending supply of enemy’s reinforcements, use that up! All you need is to raise her a bit, and instead of being killed she will become the killer. =D

Bad at moving? It looks like I need to bring up Levin again. They have the same movement, 6. And yet, again, none of you complained about him.

Edited by Fia

I'm not "coming after your head" or anything but I find your reasoning pretty flawed.

Many people complained to me on the same thing, what is the good from Fury that make you deemed her as a one of your tops? Well, I like Fury’s ability to move freely on the map without thinking about the terrain, sure she won’t get a bonus terrain, but all good things come with a price right?

They often come with a price, but it's better if they don't. No matter how you look at it, the ability to move freely is a good thing, and the "ability" to get one shotted by every ballista/bow enemy is a bad thing. A really bad thing. Also, she cannot use roads to boost her mobility.

It also a common knowledge that flying units are fragile to any type of bow/archery/whatever, so all you need to do is a little bit careful on using her. I don’t find it as a problem. Heck, FE is a SRPG game, emphasis on S as strategy.

If the player has to apply extra strategy for a unit not to die or to work as well as units where you don't need to, then that's a strike against that unit. Otherwise, we can apply the "use strategy" thing for everything.

Who cares Ardan's mobility sucks? Use strategy to keep him up with the rest.

Who cares if Deirdre vanishes during Ch3? Use strategy to boost her level more.

Who cares if Lyn has terrible HP/Def? Just use strategy to shield her all the time, heal her all the time, etc.

Who cares if Oswin cannot one-round this enemy due to his low Spd while Raven can? Use strategy and weaken enemies for him.

Also, it being "common knowledge" is not relevant. It's common knowledge Karla's Str sucks, but that doesn't help anything.

I also find Fury to extremely useful for killing. While she might not work in the same method as the other, head to head battle; she the best to use in a hit and run tactic. I’m pretty sure none of you would believe me when I said I killed Leptor and all of his minions with Fury only. =/

I personally killed Julius with Fee and all that jazz, so yes, it's very believable you can make Fury do it. The question is, how much Physic, waiting, luring, babying etc did you have to do to accomplish this? Wouldn't almost any unit be able to do it with that much babying?

Hit and run is cool, but nearly everyone and their brother can do it, and it doesn't make up for lacking in durability compared to the likes of Sigurd and Lex, who don't _need_ to run away and can just take piles of enemies without caring.

=( I don’t know about you, but my Azel always managed to promote himself in chapter 1. So I don’t understand on the “worst mobility” part. Bad defense? Hah! He gets the same defense with Levin, but you won’t complaint about Levin. Why?

So uh, did you kill every Prologue and Ch1 enemy with Azel, or even less than 50% of all of them with him? Or did you boss abuse? Because unless you did either, he is not gaining 19 levels in the short prologue + Ch1. Sigurd barely hit L20 at the start of Ch2 for me when I was solo'ing with him, and he joins 4 levels higher, one turn earlier, with vastly superior mobility and offense.

For defense, you'll notice that not only Azel sucks at taking hits, but he also sucks at dodging. He becomes better by 10 once he trades Fire for Thunder, and it becomes decent when he gets Wind in Ch3, but before that, it blows. Levin's Avo is pretty much the highest in Gen 1 even before he gets Holsety. 90% Spd growth ftw.

To my opinion, Levin is short of average character with a while-it’s-true-it-was-awesome-but-it-also-kind-of-overrated Holsety.

Just like Shanan, take their Holy Weapons from them and they are pretty much average. If not for the fact I still look up to his Holsety, I probably have put him on the ‘Upper Mid’ category. =/

Yes, if you take their holy weapons away, they become a lot worse (though both are still very good, just not omgbroken). The problem with that logic is that they do have those weapons, and they do make them very very very very awesome (though again, they don't need them per se). Even if they sucked without them, it is about as valid as "Sigurd sux against axemen if you just give him an Iron Lance" or "without his Mag stat, Azel wouldn't be anywhere".

Once again, my Deu also always managed to promote himself in chapter 1, like Azel. So he is pretty much awesome. Not to forget that I need money to passed down to 2nd gen. Those children need a good amount of pocket money.

Dew is even worse than Azel on this. Unlike Azel, he doesn't have good offense, he has the worst offense in the game. Low Str, swords, no Pursuit or any other offensive skill? I'm sure he could hit L20 by killing less enemies than Azel simply because he takes ages to do it, but that's still not viable by a longshot. It's a waste of time. You may as well argue for arena abusing in FEGBA, or boss abusing anything.

Cuan…I didn’t really list of these people according to their usefulness for me. ^^;; I just sorted and categorized them. And he was happened to be the first person that came in my mind, to fall in this category. (Though my stands on Fury and Azel are true, in fact I could put Azel to my ‘Top’ units.)

"Lower Mid" means that they are a burden, but not as much as the Low tier. When is Cuan a burden? Despite his terribad Avo in the axe-heavy chapters, he can tank well, and in Ch2 he's a godsent for getting Bargain Ring, Knight Ring and saving Lachesis. In Ch3 he is just a good unit with kickass HP/Str/Def, and you can never have enough of those. Especially not if they have 9 movement.

Tiltyu come in a chapter where there is a never ending supply of enemy’s reinforcements, use that up! All you need is to raise her a bit, and instead of being killed she will become the killer. =D

It's only never ending if you repeatedly send a boss back to get new pirates or something. But _anybody_ can become godly if you put a 10 ton truck in front them and snipe at infinite reinforcements. Wait, Tiltyu doesn't even have a 10 ton truck in front of her, she has Claude (dies in 2 hits and only has 10 Reserve uses) and Brigid (doesn't counter, not frail but not a tank either). And if she goes by herself, she risks Wrathing stuff, making room for more, and she gets 2HKOed.

Bad at moving? It looks like I need to bring up Levin again. They have the same movement, 6. And yet, again, none of you complained about him.

Only after Tiltyu promotes. Before that, she has 5, and 5 sucks (as much as Ardan and Deirdre). Levin has 6 off the bat. Also, 6 mov and lack of Pursuit are literally Levin's only problems, and they are nowhere near as crippling as Tiltyu's durability, 5 mov and underleveledness.

They often come with a price, but it's better if they don't. No matter how you look at it, the ability to move freely is a good thing, and the "ability" to get one shotted by every ballista/bow enemy is a bad thing. A really bad thing. Also, she cannot use roads to boost her mobility.

I never have a problem with ballistae before on Fury or Fee, they got good speed, so dodging wasn't a problem for them. And personally never mind about how road can boost someone mobility or not, if she can just cross a mountain/desert/etc., because most of the time it faster to go by mountain than by road.

If the player has to apply extra strategy for a unit not to die or to work as well as units where you don't need to, then that's a strike against that unit. Otherwise, we can apply the "use strategy" thing for everything.

Who cares Ardan's mobility sucks? Use strategy to keep him up with the rest.

Who cares if Deirdre vanishes during Ch3? Use strategy to boost her level more.

Who cares if Lyn has terrible HP/Def? Just use strategy to shield her all the time, heal her all the time, etc.

Who cares if Oswin cannot one-round this enemy due to his low Spd while Raven can? Use strategy and weaken enemies for him.

Uh huh, there are some characters you just don't need to think to use. But where is the fun for that?

I personally like to think what strategy I should use in what condition. Go planning and see how it would be turned out. Will this affect me in the long run. Stuff like that.

Maybe it was my nature to prefer the longer, harder route than just simply go straight to the target.

Also, it being "common knowledge" is not relevant. It's common knowledge Karla's Str sucks, but that doesn't help anything.

To me, a common knowledge can help you decide which move is best to take.

I personally killed Julius with Fee and all that jazz, so yes, it's very believable you can make Fury do it. The question is, how much Physic, waiting, luring, babying etc did you have to do to accomplish this? Wouldn't almost any unit be able to do it with that much babying?

Babying? What babying?

I admit I'm babying Deu, but with Fury? No.

Maybe I'm just so lucky with her, that in every playthrough of mine she decided to turn out awesome.

All I did is to give her a Leg Ring, a Life Ring, and a Hero Spear. Then off she go.

I didn't even use Libro.

Firstly I take out all of the snipers and the high priest. After that I just put her in the range of Leptor's army, but I wouldn't dare to put her in Leptor's range yet.

When Leptor is finally alone, that's when I use Fury to go against him face to face.

Hit and run is cool, but nearly everyone and their brother can do it, and it doesn't make up for lacking in durability compared to the likes of Sigurd and Lex, who don't _need_ to run away and can just take piles of enemies without caring.

Different style of playing then.

I just happened to love picking my enemies one by one, that's why hit and run suits me so much. =/

And I love to play safe, though I also love a bit of challenge. (But what challenge you get from sending Sigurd to hordes of enemies that he can defeat single handedly?)

So uh, did you kill every Prologue and Ch1 enemy with Azel, or even less than 50% of all of them with him? Or did you boss abuse? Because unless you did either, he is not gaining 19 levels in the short prologue + Ch1. Sigurd barely hit L20 at the start of Ch2 for me when I was solo'ing with him, and he joins 4 levels higher, one turn earlier, with vastly superior mobility and offense.

For defense, you'll notice that not only Azel sucks at taking hits, but he also sucks at dodging. He becomes better by 10 once he trades Fire for Thunder, and it becomes decent when he gets Wind in Ch3, but before that, it blows. Levin's Avo is pretty much the highest in Gen 1 even before he gets Holsety. 90% Spd growth ftw.

Not boss abusing, more like reinforcement abusing. XD;;;;;

I basically level up most of my characters in chapter 1, so yeah... I'm guilty on this, I guess. XD;;;

Yes, if you take their holy weapons away, they become a lot worse (though both are still very good, just not omgbroken). The problem with that logic is that they do have those weapons, and they do make them very very very very awesome (though again, they don't need them per se). Even if they sucked without them, it is about as valid as "Sigurd sux against axemen if you just give him an Iron Lance" or "without his Mag stat, Azel wouldn't be anywhere".

I don't like to use Holy Weapons constantly. If they could be great by just using normal weapons, why should I use the Holy Weapons? It's just waiting their uses, and they are expensive to repair. =P

Overly broken characters aren't that fun. =/

Dew is even worse than Azel on this. Unlike Azel, he doesn't have good offense, he has the worst offense in the game. Low Str, swords, no Pursuit or any other offensive skill? I'm sure he could hit L20 by killing less enemies than Azel simply because he takes ages to do it, but that's still not viable by a longshot. It's a waste of time. You may as well argue for arena abusing in FEGBA, or boss abusing anything.

The only thing that Deu low on (for me) is his Hp. Barely 40 is suck totally. But the rest are pretty good, if not good.

Yes, I'm babying Deu, for the sake of the up coming steals. But I don't need to baby him for a long time before he started to kick.

So he come with the worst offense (second only to Sylvia)? His STR growth is 40%, he can make up for that. Deu has pretty much balanced growth, raised him up a little and he will repay you.

"Lower Mid" means that they are a burden, but not as much as the Low tier. When is Cuan a burden? Despite his terribad Avo in the axe-heavy chapters, he can tank well, and in Ch2 he's a godsent for getting Bargain Ring, Knight Ring and saving Lachesis. In Ch3 he is just a good unit with kickass HP/Str/Def, and you can never have enough of those. Especially not if they have 9 movement.

To me...

Top = very useful characters

High = pretty good characters

Upper Mid = characters I can count on in a tight condition

Lower Mid = characters I don't use often

Low = characters I stay away from

Cuan was never been a burden, but unfortunately I prefer to use Finn over him, even after he got his Geirborg.

It's only never ending if you repeatedly send a boss back to get new pirates or something. But _anybody_ can become godly if you put a 10 ton truck in front them and snipe at infinite reinforcements. Wait, Tiltyu doesn't even have a 10 ton truck in front of her, she has Claude (dies in 2 hits and only has 10 Reserve uses) and Brigid (doesn't counter, not frail but not a tank either). And if she goes by herself, she risks Wrathing stuff, making room for more, and she gets 2HKOed.

I give her an elite ring and let her battle with some enemies in both map and arena. At the end of Chapter 3 she already reached at least Lv. 14. I don't really need to watch her over everytime anymore, she will handle herself.

Obviously I put her behind Bridget, and the two of them just anihilated all the enemies they find. And I didn't use all the 10 Reserve's uses. Tiltyu can dodge you know, pretty well in fact.

Only after Tiltyu promotes. Before that, she has 5, and 5 sucks (as much as Ardan and Deirdre). Levin has 6 off the bat. Also, 6 mov and lack of Pursuit are literally Levin's only problems, and they are nowhere near as crippling as Tiltyu's durability, 5 mov and underleveledness.

So Tiltyu might not as strong as Levin, but she is strong in her own right. She has the potential that many people turn blind eyes to. And Levin wins against her because of he comes earlier.

But you do realize that these all were based from my personal experiences, right? It's a matter of one's opinion.

Yeah, you are going by personal preferences and experiences, but that is not how tier lists are generally made. When I make a tier list, I go by how much a unit would help an unbiased player to win easily. Units that don't need Brigid as a shield, an Elite Ring and reinforcement abuse are obviously better than units who do.

Going by purely Gen 1 and without EXP rank I would do something like:

Sigurd

Lex

Levin

High

Holyn

Jamka

Cuan

Fin

Ethlin

Ayra

Brigid

Lachesis

Mid

Fury

Alec

Midir

Beowulf

Claude

Low

Aideen

Noish

Tiltyu

Dew

Bottom

Deirdre

Ardan

Yeah, you are going by personal preferences and experiences, but that is not how tier lists are generally made. When I make a tier list, I go by how much a unit would help an unbiased player to win easily. Units that don't need Brigid as a shield, an Elite Ring and reinforcement abuse are obviously better than units who do.

Ah, alright. My apologize then.

I admitted it's a bit hard for me to stay objective when FE4 was involved. XP

Out of curiosity, Lex is that high due to Elite, a mount and the Hero Axe, right?

And his Neir blood.

Extra defense is a big bonus to add on his usefulness.

That, and he's got great availability, and Hero Axe is pretty much his personal weapon, and he doesn't have to rely on dodging since his Def is great.

They share a lack of HP/Def/Mov. Staves for Aideen are cool and all though, so maybe I'll move her up. If this were taking EXP rank into account, she would be a lot higher. Tiltyu is simply underleveled, and the only way she has significant offense is when she's at half HP (i.e. supersuperfrial).

Tiltyu is simply underleveled, and the only way she has significant offense is when she's at half HP (i.e. supersuperfrial).

But she shouldn't be that low. She is stronger than Alec (whom is good for nothing except for recruiting Ayra, since awareness was not needed in 1st gen).

Awareness is not all Alec has. Alec has utility in Prologue and Ch1, and some in Ch2 as well (all mounted units are welcome). Tiltyu only joins at the end of Ch3, and Alec > Tiltyu in pretty much every single stat except Mag and Res, and has 2 more mov and move after attacking. Oh, and he actually has Pursuit.

Then Tiltyu sucks for just dying in two hits to everything, while Alec is doing an average job at everything, but still better than Tiltyu.

Alec's stats are somewhat medicore, if not low.

So because he is available since the prologue, he automatically will be better than other units who have potentials but come late? Noooo.

When they are in the same level, Tiltyu practically owns him in every battle.

And yet, Alec's stats are a lot higher than Tiltyu's.

Strawman. Alec is good in Prologue and Ch1. Points for him, like it or not. It does not give him autowin, but it does make him better.

Yes, if they are the same level, maybe. The problem is that Tiltyu joins when there are two chapters left or so, while Alec joins when the whole gen is left, and they have about the same level. You can't just turn a blind eye on a level lead. The same argument was used for Nino, Zeis, Heath and other failure units, but they are still failures.

And yet, Alec's stats are a lot higher than Tiltyu's.

Huh? Where?

Unless you are talking about Str and Def (just like I won't talk about Mgc or Res), all of Alec's stats are lower than Tiltyu's.

Tiltyu has Tordo blood, which helps in raising her skill. She gets good Speed. She has overkill luck.

While she might be a little short on Hp (around 40+), but she CAN dodge. So it's not a problem.

But then again, you might compare Lv.25 Alec with Lv.3 Tityu, which I deemed as not fair.

Strawman. Alec is good in Prologue and Ch1. Points for him, like it or not. It does not give him autowin, but it does make him better.

Uh huh. He is good on double hitting the enemy, too bad the damage he inflicted is just as much as one hit from Noish.

Did I see a point to use him when I can use Sigurd? Nope.

He pretty much abandoned right there, along with Noish.

Yes, if they are the same level, maybe. The problem is that Tiltyu joins when there are two chapters left or so, while Alec joins when the whole gen is left, and they have about the same level. You can't just turn a blind eye on a level lead. The same argument was used for Nino, Zeis, Heath and other failure units, but they are still failures.

That's a bit ridiculous if you think a potentially good character that comes late is an instant failure.

Like the examples you said. Look at Nino. Look at Zeiss. Look on how late they came. Look at their stats growths. Look at how many people are WILLING to baby them up.

A good point being an underleved character is that they sucks EXP much better than the others. It won't take long to raise them, and they will pay you back by being good characters.

So, the overall-medicore-border-to-low Alec is certainly not the favorable one to choose between him and Tiltyu.

Edited by Tiltyu

Huh? Where?

Unless you are talking about Str and Def (just like I won't talk about Mgc or Res), all of Alec's stats are lower than Tiltyu's.

Tiltyu has Tordo blood, which helps in raising her skill. She gets good Speed. She has overkill luck.

While she might be a little short on Hp (around 40+), but she CAN dodge. So it's not a problem.

But then again, you might compare Lv.25 Alec with Lv.3 Tityu, which I deemed as not fair.

You're talking about L30 stats, with both being at L30, which ain't gonna happen. Alec will have a massive level lead over her, and he might even be promoted already, which means he's indeed quite a bit more useful due to better offense, durability AND mobility. Not to mention that his availability is a lot better as well.

28 HP/1 Def somewhere in the middle of chapter 3? No thanks.

Uh huh. He is good on double hitting the enemy, too bad the damage he inflicted is just as much as one hit from Noish.

Did I see a point to use him when I can use Sigurd? Nope.

He pretty much abandoned right there, along with Noish.

Sigurd? What does he have to do with this? Since Sigurd is superior to everybody, you're not going to use anybody but Sigurd? Massive lol. And Alex deals 20 damage and thus two-rounds, while Noish is three-rounding with his 16 damage per round.

That's a bit ridiculous if you think a potentially good character that comes late is an instant failure.

Like the examples you said. Look at Nino. Look at Zeiss. Look on how late they came. Look at their stats growths. Look at how many people are WILLING to baby them up.

A good point being an underleved character is that they sucks EXP much better than the others. It won't take long to raise them, and they will pay you back by being good characters.

So, the overall-medicore-border-to-low Alec is certainly not the favorable one to choose between him and Tiltyu.

A will to do something has no bearing on the usefulness of a character. I'm willing to use FE9 Bastian, so now he's wtfmassive ownage. Get the point?

Tiltyu sucks at surviving, so lol at her leveling fast.