Rate The Unit 17: Kamui

Quirino

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody has already given good reason for a score +/- half a point from yours, you can decide not to explain your score, but I always encourage personal reasoning. Incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. Every ranking phase starts from 2200 EST to 2300 EST. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Weapon" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Clerbe/Cleive: 3.91

Robin: 4.45

Boowy/Boey 4.64

Cellica/Celica: 6.06

May: 6.15

Fols/Force: 6.78

Grey: 6.85

Valbo: 7.10

Clea/Claire: 7.58

Jenny 7.61

Ruka/Luka: 7.89

Cliff: 8.31

Silk: 8.47

Paison/Python: 8.60

Sevr/Saber: 9.26

Alm: 9.59

My rating comes later...

Kamui has at least as solid bases and actually has better rounded growths than Saber, but he's not as cool without that awesome 40% defense growth. He also has surprisingly bad res until Demon Fighter and he misses out on a little bit of Saber's early game helpfulness. Still, a pretty good swordsman. 7/10

Kamui could be one of your most valuable units, but he has one thing going against him: Saber's already there. Saber was probably your main powerhouse until Kamui and his gang is recruited, so he should be higher level already. Also, Kamui has lower speed and skill bases, but higher growths than Saber (especially speed). He does, however, beat Saber on HP and defense when he first joins, but has worse growths.

So they should be about equal? Until promotion: yes, when promoted, however, Saber's lower speed and skill will get a major boost while Kamui's should already be pretty high before promotion. So those stats will be about equal then, and then Saber will suddenly turn out as the mercenary who can also take a hit, which Kamui can't because of his low defense growth and lower resistance. In the upper-mid and endgame, I usually bench him in favor of Saber, because Kamui becomes too frail. A shield can solve this, but you probably want to give your mercenaries a sword.

So he's basically screwed by the promotion system in this game, which makes Saber simply better. Although there's plenty of room for two mercenaries, Kamui will probably be too frail later on to do something important anymore, especially against witches or other magic users.

6.5/10, he would've gotten higher if Saber wasn't there. When he joins, Saber will already be better (and thanks to Valbo and Saber his base durability will not be too helpful either) and also in endgame Saber will be way better which really limits his usefulness.

Edited by WindMage25

One of those units that's a reliable part of a strong team, Kamui has a very reliable set of growths that will rarely, if ever, let him down. It's a shame that his outstanding growth is speed because the mercenary line always have plenty of that but he's still a reliable merc who you want on your team. As a point of interest, on my first playthrough I think I gave him the darkness sword when he promoted to Demonslayer because it buffs his strength and Demonslayers never get backfire. He also shares his name from a place in Okami so he gets cool points for that too.

7/10, not amazing but still good and reliable (the hot word for this rating)

Kamui could be one of your most valuable units, but he has one thing going against him: Saber's already there. Saber was probably your main powerhouse until Kamui and his gang is recruited, so he should be higher level already. Also, Kamui has lower speed and skill bases, but higher growths than Saber (especially speed). He does, however, beat Saber on HP and defense when he first joins, but has worse growths.

So they should be about equal? Until promotion: yes, when promoted, however, Saber's lower speed and skill will get a major boost while Kamui's should already be pretty high before promotion. So those stats will be about equal then, and then Saber will suddenly turn out as the mercenary who can also take a hit, which Kamui can't because of his low defense growth and lower resistance. In the upper-mid and endgame, I usually bench him in favor of Saber, because Kamui becomes too frail. A shield can solve this, but you probably want to give your mercenaries a sword.

So he's basically screwed by the promotion system in this game, which makes Saber simply better. Although there's plenty of room for two mercenaries, Kamui will probably be too frail later on to do something important anymore, especially against witches or other magic users.

6.5/10, he would've gotten higher if Saber wasn't there. When he joins, Saber will already be better (and thanks to Valbo and Saber his base durability will not be too helpful either) and also in endgame Saber will be way better which really limits his usefulness.

" I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out."