NCFC 2013 Hype-A-Month-In-Advance Thread

Kiddo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Yes, it is not possible to submit to more than one category (There were already a few games which could have fit in multiple categories that instead got shoehorned into a "primary" one, Super Earthbound Bros or whatever it is being an easy example.)
2) Even if 1 was no, the thing is that the reason Arch is upset is because he's been convinced of a stigma against ROM hacks at NCFC. The idea of making ROM hacks a separate category to resolve this is actually completely absurd and counterproductive, because an official segregation would make the ROM hacks compete with each other and not the fangame projects,

It seems the MFGG has been convinced of the same thing Arch has and are vocally upset about it, based on my discussions with them regarding this.

Copypasted from MFGG:

"Right now I'm waiting on a specific something before I produce my next Direct.

in the meantime, here's a thread on NCFC:
http://forum.nintendocfc.com/showthread.php?tid=334

I hope you read my post on it. Basically, I would like most of the schedule for the Livestream to be done in advance for once this time!
So therefore, please send me a note if you want to Livestream something with a DATE AND TIME in mind. I am hoping to have the schedule ready by the first day."

Another NCFC Direct is up!

Why would you show, like, thirty seconds seconds of a bug in Immortal Sword?

And why do the other two get *about* four minutes of show time each?

I mean, come on. At least show something positive for Immortal Sword :/ It's a great game! There are a lot of cool things you could show!

Why would you show, like, thirty seconds seconds of a bug in Immortal Sword?

Shush, you. That was the best bug ever.

I mean, Darin went OVER A WALL and CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN. How is that not badass? It needs to become a mainline game element.

(Really, it's one the most memetic things that happened in all of NCFC2012. How could I NOT reference it?)

As for the other folks having longer trailers, that's unfortunately because I have to work with people who outright ignored my trailer guidelines.

I wanted most of the trailers to be about the length of the BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets trailer shown earlier, but unfortunately I have to work with what I got. That Chaos Rising trailer in particular could've seriously used some cuts for length. And Luigi and the Quest for Nothing's trailer from the time before was the most boring of all the trailers yet.

If that had been an acual intended feature, I would completely agree that it would be great to showcase (because awesome spatial skills like that are always cool).

However, it's not an intended feature. And showcasing it kind of comes across as focusing on poor workmanship, or may cause some confusion when players are not able to use that skill in that way when actually playing the game.

It would have been better to show some more typical gameplay footage instead. Of course, as I don't know the circumstances behind making the video, I don't know how easy that would have been for you to do, but it would probably still have been better that way.

Edited by Kitsu

If it's any help as to the context, here is the original NCFC2012 Fight Night footage.

You really needed to be there to see how this sent everyone in hysterics. A "Good bad bug" can cement the mindset of a game, and this won Immortal Sword that Fight Night. There's a reason Seph1212 ENCORED it.

I was actually originally planning to pull directly from that footage, but the tools I had on me would not allow me to do so, so I went with that rerecording.

I was there. I saw it in action. I understand the history behind that moment.

But it's still a bug. A bug that is no longer accessible in the game. And the only real value it still holds (other than being a cool bug) is as an in-joke. So showcasing it instead of some of the game's other newer content seems a little odd. That's my only concern, really.

Well, if a new trailer comes in, I'll probably include that in a future one.

Either way, I work with what I have, and besides that, I figured it'd be great to highlight one of the better moments of NCFC2012.

Besides, it has a bit of the "Remember this? It's back, IN POG FORM." effect.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the thread, but yay, NCFC's started.

For what it's worth, I've tried to implemented most of the negative things said about my game, for NCFC this year. (I'm the creator of the HTML game mentioned earlier).

Also for what it's worth, I'd personally rate the other people's games ahead of my own. I've got no problems in saying my game is incomplete, especially last year where I had to gut most of the features at the last minute to make it run offline. Even this year, when it's back online, there's still so much I haven't been able to include in time. (it especially annoys me that I found a few bugs, literally as I was writing the submission, which obviously I don't have time to fix). From a technical standpoint, I'm quite happy with what I've achieved, writing a game from scratch isn't easy. Making it run in a browser is even harder.

I personally didn't pay any attention to the awards last year. I know full-well most people have never heard of my game, I've done nothing to publicise it. I did have a thread over over in the creative section, but haven't updated it since the old site went offline in 2012 (prior NCFC 2012). I've been planning to make a new thread for the new site, but never got around to it. I didn't post it here in the ROM hacking section, since, well, it's not a ROM hack.