Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volke I think will be a bit weaker at base but have incredible growths and caps. So he won't be a "free" great unit anymore. So in 4-5 you can make him awesome.

Heather is incredibly unique in that she is probably the only unit in the entire game to have good hybrid damage. Her magic stat is monstrous and Daemon cards have 18 MT. So she can deal respectable magic damage with no retaliation. And her physical damage is good -- not as good as Sothe/Volke, but decent enough.

Aren't also Herons and Ena gonna be good with that then?

Aren't also Herons and Ena gonna be good with that then?

Yes for herons.

Ena? Her stats are probably going to end up completely different. She's a mess.

There are other non-mages with great magic now too. Danved is one of them. Kyza is another. Or Neasala etc... Heather has the highest though, with Leanne being pretty close.

I think card use should be viable for a lot of units. Their niche is pretty cool. Not just for magic damage, but for landing damage with no counter attack.

And no, Imbue will not be broken if you predict that. HP and damage values are going to be way higher now. I am certainly hesitant to give high magic to tanky units though, just because they would abuse that the most. Someone ridiculously squishy like Heather makes imbue potential far less absurd.

Can you make it so that the magic cards are equippable, or just able to counter on EP in some way? It seems like kind of a waste to have only player phase magical presence.

I think the way they work currently is fine.

Interaction with Herons and Non-transformed laguz would be kinda odd. And I do like the whole player phase = magic, enemy phase = physical dynamic for someone like Heather.

Plus, cards still don't have that many uses. They are meant to be used sparingly due to the whole non-retaliation factor (which is really good one). Burning their uses a lot on enemy phase wouldn't seem like what they should be designed for.

Besides, it would probably be ridiculously difficult to implement without completely breaking the "no counter-attack factor".

Edited by DLuna

Interesting idea on element-dependant magic range. Though if it has to benonly a specific distance, I'd rather Thunder be 2 range instead of 1, else Ilyana's gonna have to borrow one of Nephenee's metal skirts. Shame magic users can't use knives like in PoR, else you could've had even more fun tampering with that and adding who can use them into the balancing equation. I really doubt there won't be a bug if you try modding a sage use knives, but who knows if there's any unused legacy animation.

If she Can SS every other magic type, then maybe it wouldn't be necessary to make Sanaki able to use Dark Magic, least of all SS-rank it. It would fall very in line with her being a "holy" figure in a "holy" empire and whatnot, plus you already have Micaiah and Pelleas (I'm assuming you're balancing things assuming Second Playthrough, as one can just download a completed savefile). I'm already not 100% okay with Soren being able to SS-rank it too, but oh well, I van concede him making a spirit pact in the past when under tutelage.

I'm all for some plot editing for things like unforcing Sothe into endgame. Depending on your proficiency you might even want to consider moving Micaiah's third tier promotion to the beggining of Part 4 too (and if you do you might even consider delaying her aqcuisition of a Dark Magic weapon rank to her tier 3 class instead of tier 2, as her being possesed by the "dark" goddess is a much more suitable explanation even for a sudden high rank than her recieving classes from Pelleas).

Micaiah's tier 2 is essentially tier 2.5 as far as growths and caps are concerned. She won't have an issue. The plan is to make her the best endgame unit in the entire game (If anyone deserves that title, it's her -- being possessed by a goddess would do that). I'll be releasing something shortly that shows this. Expect her to be the Gotoh/Athos of the game through promotion bonuses. Tempted to give her S Fire/Wind/Thunder at tier 3 too. She won't be broken, but consider her the endgame mascot. And if anything she's actually Yune, not Micaiah.

Soren cannot SS rank dark. It's his secondary spell type and is therefore capped at S.

Ilyana being 1 range is no more worse than a Myrmidon being 1 range. In fact, Ilyana is now like a magical soldier in stats. She starts off like a Myrmidon, but transitions into more of a tanky frontliner after tier 1. She now has +1 movement and is not much different than Edward. You don't need to be "tanky" to be 1 range.

Sothe is something I'm going to experiment with. May be forced, may be not. But his forced promotion and general "story relevence" screams yes, still. It just means that Heather and Volke need to be viable considering this.

Sanaki is something I will experiment with. It's likely I'll give her Dark though just so the Balberith is actually used. Having only two SS users is a bit low.

Edited by DLuna

In terms of endgame potential -- this is what's being planned. May be subject to change in some places but do feel free to take a look and comment on what you may disagree with.

POTENTIAL RATING

Potential_Power_Rating_1.png

Potential_Power_Rating_2.png

Missed a few 'tags' for some units for some units, in retrospect. Will be fixed when I move it to the OP.

Edited by DLuna

I wouldn't tag the endgame recruits as "Forced", what with them bringing their own extra deployment slot along with them, and only if hey're recruited in the first place. Shame Blackie technically has no endgame potential, as I'd give him an 11.

It's likely I'll give her Dark though just so the Balberith is actually used. Having only two SS users is a bit low.

Now that's a valid concern. It still doesn't convince me (Dark magic's gotta feel more exotic than that, and Sanaki has to envy SOMETHING that Micaiah has and she lacks), but I'll understand if you keep that decision. And after all, in the acse that you don't get/bring Pelleas to endgame, I don't see how you'd want Yune to bless anything but Balberith for Micaiah, considering it's gonna have the triangle advantage over all the spirits (though disadvantaged against Lehran and Ashera's AoE attacks).

I'm pretty sure that all of the endgame units get their own deployment slot in the same way that Sothe gets his own deployment slot. Unless I'm mistaken.

The point is that they are not competing for anyone else to be deployed. So they might as well be tagged as 'forced'.

It doesn't actually affect their rating though thinking about it. Sothe's most definitely does (otherwise he would be a 2.5, which is still higher than what I consider him to be in the original game -- like a 1 or something =p).

And then Heather and Volke get +1 due to the previous fact. Ripple effect.

Kurthnaga's base stats are better than the original game and his growths are even better. Come 4-F-5 he is most definitely your best unit and you don't need to baby him or anything. His stats just haven't updated yet so don't judge him based off of 1-3.

Of course, this hack puts balance first, but story/thematics is a strong second. A perfectly balanced game isn't too exciting anyway. If the plot dictates someone is awesome, they should probably be awesome (but not overpowered, like Ike in the original game).

On that note, it may be worth buffing units like Elincia/Mist/Ranulf etc... due to that fact -- but they compete for deployment slots with every other unit. So it's hard to make Lethe appealing if Ranulf is just as good or better.

Someone like Caineghis being a 2 may seem odd as well, but he's amazing in 4-F-1, he just has 0 growth. So by the time you reach 4-F-5 he's not so hot.

Edited by DLuna

Why is Giffca a full point ahead of Caineghis when he has lower bases? I doubt that any growth advantage he has would be negligible considering they both only have 5 chapters to contribute.

Giffca is currently set to LV30 and Cain is LV39 with slightly better bases.

Giffca's growths are pretty good. A 40% SPD growth means +8 SPD by level 40. Cain cannot double while Giffca can grow to do so.

Since EXP rates are going up, that isn't really unrealistic at all. 20 kills in 4 maps or so?

And as mentioned, a "full point" isn't a magnitude of difference. It just means that Giffca will end up better overall.

Edited by DLuna

Just finished finalizing magic users in full.

MAGIC STUFF

So after a plethora of testing, this is what I've ended up with in regards to magic:

Thunder - 3 MT - 75 HIT - 5 CRT - 5 WT - 1-2 range

Elthunder - 13 MT - 85 HIT - 10 CRT - 8 WT - 1 range

Archunder - 16 MT - 90 HIT - 15 CRT - 12 WT - 1 range

Thoron - 19 MT - 100 HIT - 22 CRT - 14 WT - 1 range

Rexbolt - 22 MT - 95 HIT - 25 CRT - 17 WT - 1 range SKL+3

Thunder magic is amazing. But stuck at 1 range.

The exception would be the standard thunder tome which has pretty bad stats but has 1-2 range. The purpose for this is to give Ilyana a 2 range option early on. And she'll probably just want to keep one in her inventory later on just in case she needs it. After promotion, giving her an arms scroll to use Elfire can be a decent replacement though.

Of course, being 1 range has its limitations -- and wind magic weakness is incredibly painful, since wind is extremely flexible in its range. In combination with Ilyana's low RES, keep her far, far away from wind magi.

Enemy thunder mages/sages have the highest overall stats of all magi. Do watch out for those. Someone like Micaiah/Soren (using dark or wind) destroy them since they have low RES themselves -- take advantage of that. And of course, they are vulnerable at 2 range or more.

Otherwise, they're even more awesome in 4-F-3, that's for sure. Although, you won't be one-shotting with Rexbolt (red dragons with ~110 HP, yo) and you do have to be careful on the enemy phase. But relative to everything else there, you can't beat it.

Fire - 6 MT - 85 HIT - 0 CRT - 4 WT - 2 range

Elfire - 8 MT - 80 HIT - 0 CRT - 6 WT - 1-2 range

Arcfire - 11 MT - 75 HIT - 10 CRT - 9 WT - 1-2 range

Bolganone - 13 MT - 95 HIT - 10 CRT - 11 WT - 1-2 range

Rexflame - 16 MT - 85 HIT - 15 CRT - 14 WT - 1-2 range SPD+3

Fire is fairly vanilla. Middle of the ground stats.

Standard fire is limited to 2 range, but this only really matters for enemy fire mages early on (Volug is definitely happy about this!). Otherwise, Fire is sufficient for attacking at 2 range if you know your mage is safe. It's worth mentioning that all the E tomes are incredibly cheap now, so buying/forging them is still very good.

Enemy fire mages have good magic and speed and the MT of fire tomes are pretty decent. However, they have the lowest combined HP/DEF/RES out of all casters. Ultimately the most troublesome all all enemy mages but you shouldn't have a hard time killing them.

Wind - 2 MT - 70 HIT - 0 CRT - 3 WT - 3 range

Elwind - 5 MT - 60 HIT - 0 CRT - 5 WT - 2-3 range

Arcwind - 7 MT - 65 HIT - 5 CRT - 8 WT - 1-3 range

Tornado - 8 MT - 55 HIT - 10 CRT - 13 WT - 2-4 range

Rexcalibur - 10 MT - 60 HIT - 15 CRT - 15 WT - 1-4 range LCK+3

Wind is weak but flexible. That basically sums them up. Much more utility based compared to the other spells -- great for artillery as opposed to raw damage.

Wind sages do tend to have good magic and fantastic skill, but low speed. This means that they themselves make use the spells very well, but thunder/fire mages will struggle with them more. Archsages are now planned to use all 3 anima types (with the exception of Pelleas/Soren, who trade dark for one) but chances are only Soren and Bastian can use them well considering their stat line.

Either way, heaven affinity can be pretty key here.

Enemy wind sages are very weak defensively, but have really high resistance. And a lot of the time cannot retaliate at 1 range. So while they can be annoying to pin down, they aren't a threat up close and be slaughtered quickly. Just don't bother using magic on them at all.

Light - 3 MT - 100 HIT - 0 CRT - 2 WT - 1-2 range

Ellight - 7 MT - 85 HIT - 5 CRT - 3 WT - 1-2 range

Shine - 9 MT - 95 HIT - 15 CRT - 7 WT - 1-2 range

Nosferatu - 5 MT - 90 HIT - 0 CRT - 14 WT - 1-2 range

Valaura - 14 MT - 80 HIT - 10 CRT - 8 WT - 1-2 range

Rexaura - 15 MT - 100 HIT - 5 CRT - 16 WT - 1-2 range DEF+3

Light is as you expect it to be. Less MT then fire. More hit. Although it does not have the effective bonuses the anima tomes have -- they are very reliable and so have some interesting options. Otherwise, not too much to note.

As a nice bonus, they have double WTA bonus against dark magic (which you'll be seeing a lot more of). That's +8 MT against dark magic. Yup.

Worm - 10 MT - 75 HIT - 10 CRT - 8 WT - 1 range DEF/RES +3

Carreau - 19 MT - 50 HIT - 30 CRT - 13 WT - 1 range DEF/RES +3

Verrine - 16 MT - 110 HIT - 0 CRT - 19 WT - 1 range DEF/RES +3

Balberith - 26 MT 65 HIT - 10 CRT - 22 WT - 1 range STR/DEF/RES +3

Dark is where it gets more interesting. Strictly speaking, they aren't as good as thunder magic offensively, but they come fairly close, and offer a defensive bonus. it's also worth noting that each dark tome is fairly unique and that there is no set 'upgrade' between them. You could feasibly carry all 4 and have some kind of use for all of them. Whether that be the lower weight of Worm, the hit or Verrine, or the raw power of Carreau.

Enemy dark sages/druids are incredibly dangerous. Druids are extremely slow but have really high DEF and RES. Fighting them at 1 range just isn't an option, but of course, can be taken down long range quite easily. Light magic works wonders.

Siege and personal tomes not included there -- they aren't standard. Will discuss those later.

Some of the stats you see here may seem quite sporadic, but do keep in mind that everything is based on a power budget and are meant to offer as much tradeoffs/choices as possible.

For the sake of just 12 playable units, that was a whole lot to cover, heh.

Edited by DLuna

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a point to Balberith giving +3 Str instead of simply weighting 3 less points? Unlessit it is regarding stealing.

The only thing that concerns me now is Dark not having any ranged option. And that would affect Izuka's difficulty as well.

Maybe Nosferatu could be only 1 range, and trade that for a further increase in its might.

On a whole other tangent, what would you think of giving all chapter (main) bosses the "use big camera angle" hidden skill, the one used by the dragon king and the godess?

Balberith still has the +3 STR just for text reasons, really.

Since that post Dark has changed again. No longer gives a DEF/RES boost but has more range options and other stats. Balberith has 1-2 range.

Nosferatu in this game is a light tome.

Just for an update, the next release will be going up to 3-1. Just so that people can get an impression of the GM balance.

A new game will be required, but all part 1 maps have been changed quite a bit (general improvements and difficulty changes).

Balberith still has the +3 STR just for text reasons, really.

Since that post Dark has changed again. No longer gives a DEF/RES boost but has more range options and other stats. Balberith has 1-2 range.

Nosferatu in this game is a light tome.

Just for an update, the next release will be going up to 3-1. Just so that people can get an impression of the GM balance.

A new game will be required, but all part 1 maps have been changed quite a bit (general improvements and difficulty changes).

So is Part 1 the only one that still complete at this point? I'm kinda interested by all of the changes, but I like to play from start to finish without having to make a new save or anything when a new patch is released.

So is Part 1 the only one that still complete at this point? I'm kinda interested by all of the changes, but I like to play from start to finish without having to make a new save or anything when a new patch is released.

It's only really because Tauroneo's class has changed (now is a sword gen) and defensive stats have been reworked.

The reason for the former is so his promotion gains are unique. Otherwise Gatrie OP.

I really doubt that after the next update/patch, any more restarts will be required. I do plan on the next patch being definitive.

I really like your mod, it makes me wanna haste on mine, still a lot of your changes seem very well tought, the C rank Dark magic in Micaiah is also something i implemented, but what i really liked is making the promotion bonuses bigger for the brigade, it feels great so you can use everyone without focusing on just a couple of units, my approach is somewhat different but yours give early promotions benefit.

Nice hack, it is pretty cool that you put a lot of tought and testing into it, hope i can play it when it is released.

Stat caps are also something I've applied to Tier 1 units to encourage them to promote early. To put it simply, the stats a unit would gain at level 14 to 20 is applied through their promotion instead. But they also won't become OP because of that if you train them to 20, because of caps.

The idea is the amount EXP provided allows you to promote all tier 1 units at level ~15. That means no one gets left behind. Kinda essential since all units get a free deployment slot in part 3 and the maps should be balanced around that.

Exception is Ilyana but there's some rather good incentive to train her nonetheless. Unit slots per map are changing as well.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before yet, or even if it would be possible to implement, but Largo. Maybe? Idk, always sucked how he was cut from vanilla because IS was just like nah to berserkers. And honestly, his loss is felt in game. Not counting ike, i can only recall 3 foot units who specialize in axes ( boyd, nolan, and brom), and even then, the main function of brom is still that of uber tank. idk, just a thought though. Hack seems cool, even though the difficulty would likely be a real doosy for me. :P

I don't think Largo has unit data so unfortunately, I don't think it will be possible without creating models and expanding data.

Hack seems cool, even though the difficulty would likely be a real doosy for me. :P

In what context? The difficulty will be much higher, with also nothing left to exploit (Like Haar, royals, or earth supps etc...). At least, that's the intention.

I don't think Largo has unit data so unfortunately, I don't think it will be possible without creating models and expanding data.

In what context? The difficulty will be much higher, with also nothing left to exploit (Like Haar, royals, or earth supps etc...). At least, that's the intention.

I'm just not very good at fire emblem lol. That sort of context.

I'm just not very good at fire emblem lol. That sort of context.

If it's anything like his other hacks, don't worry too much. It'll be more difficult, but he's definitely decent about difficulty curves. The game is "hold your hand" easy in Hard mode at he beginning and eases its way to being more difficult. There's much less erratic difficulty going around.

Wow, this looks really interesting! Your design philosophy around all your changes seems really good from what I can tell. The huge balance issues with the cast and the difficulty curve has always been the one thing that bothered me about FE10, so I'm definitely interested. Making the whole cast able to contribute something valuable sounds great!

How is progress going? I'm pretty excited to play the final version. Maybe I'll try the Part 2 release if that's coming up soon?

Part 2 should be soon. Currently doing another pass on Part 1 changes until the next release, which shouldn't be too long. Also need to do a few more test runs on the early part 3 maps since the GM balance probably isn't quite there yet. kyza op

Release after the next one will be the remainder of part 3 -- which should be really quick since follow-up balance for those shouldn't take too long beyond map changes. Past that, part 4 will probably involve some fairly heavy map changes.

Also, I have some pretty interesting ideas for Part 4 enemies...

No. The fact that all Part 4 enemies are in unique classes means they can be given special properties. I wouldn't want to make them Tier 3 since that would make the game an RNG fest. Giving mastery skills to enemies is not fun...

Instead, I can give Part 4 enemies non-RNG skills to make them more interesting, and also amplify stat differences between classes.

For example:

Sword Generals: Innate Fortune

Axe General: Innate Pavise

Lance General: Innate Nihil

Druid: Innate Daunt

Wind Sage: Innate Celerity

Halberdier: Innate Resolve

Thunder Sage: Innate Wrath (!!!)

White Dragon: Innate Nullify

Etc...

And their stats are very variable to make each class stand out. Axe Generals have terrible speed and resistance, but amazing defense. While Sword Generals have good speed and resistance, but average defense. Snipers have amazing STR/SPD/SKL, making them ridiculously scary, but are also ridiculously fragile in every manner. Thunder Sages have high defense but poor resistance etc...

Enemies just stand out from each other but aren't RNG oriented. You're facing a gauntlet of really powerful enemies, and every unit in your army has an application.